Author Topic: Cleveland: Campus District  (Read 110684 times)

Offline cleveman86

• New User
Re: Cleveland: Campus District
« Reply #455 on: July 02, 2017, 08:22:34 PM »
This begs the question...how do universities grow to become an OSU or UC in size and prestige? How does CSU become a more academically elite university? I would imagine the answer involves numerous factors and hopefully CSU is heading in the right direction. It would be amazing for CSU to one day be one of the premiere state universities in Ohio, and right in the middle of our downtown core! Is that even possible?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: July 03, 2017, 12:46:45 AM »
No, not for this thread it doesn't.  You're more than welcome to refer that conversation to this thread, though:

https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,10753.315.html

Offline urbanpreppie05

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #457 on: July 03, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »
"They should work on a quality faculty and better academics first."
"bolstering the visibility of our already way-too-locally-prominent community college is what the region's taxpayers should be asked to directly support? "
"Studies show that given a sound roof and basic sanitation facilities, the school building itself has little or no effect on the quality of education."
"And if they want a tax increase for routine maineneance, they have mismanaged their facilities."

For the first time in my time on UrbanOhio i had to walk away from the computer.

First, A large metro region should have both a strong, modern, functional CC and a mix of state universities and private colleges. They can all co-exist, they won't hurt each other. Not everyone is going to go for a bachelor's right away, and not everyone SHOULD be at a four year. The trends are showing that more jobs will require at least an associates' or some training and these are decent paying jobs, and that people will be "thinking twice" before sending their kids off to college for 50K in debt. We're already seeing it in Pennsylvania with our state university enrollment (I am aware this isnt the ONLY reason).

Second, I pointed out earlier in the thread that there is STILL a frightening level of disdain for Community Colleges in this part of the country, which has an effect on retention and graduation rates, something that the south and west are killing us at. Why? They have modern facilities, modern programs that fit their areas, and fantastic matriculation agreements and partnerships with their local universities and colleges. We need to get on board with the rest of the country.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:35:54 AM by urbanpreppie05 »

Offline inlovewithCLE

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #458 on: July 03, 2017, 10:19:30 AM »
"They should work on a quality faculty and better academics first."
"bolstering the visibility of our already way-too-locally-prominent community college is what the region's taxpayers should be asked to directly support? "
"Studies show that given a sound roof and basic sanitation facilities, the school building itself has little or no effect on the quality of education."
"And if they want a tax increase for routine maineneance, they have mismanaged their facilities."

For the first time in my time on UrbanOhio i had to walk away from the computer.

First, A large metro region should have both a strong, modern, functional CC and a mix of state universities and private colleges. They can all co-exist, they won't hurt each other. Not everyone is going to go for a bachelor's right away, and not everyone SHOULD be at a four year. The trends are showing that more jobs will require at least an associates' or some training and these are decent paying jobs, and that people will be "thinking twice" before sending their kids off to college for 50K in debt. We're already seeing it in Pennsylvania with our state university enrollment (I am aware this isnt the ONLY reason).

Second, I pointed out earlier in the thread that there is STILL a frightening level of disdain for Community Colleges in this part of the country, which has an effect on retention and graduation rates, something that the south and west are killing us at. Why? They have modern facilities, modern programs that fit their areas, and fantastic matriculation agreements and partnerships with their local universities and colleges. We need to get on board with the rest of the country.
PREACH!

Offline YABO713

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #459 on: July 03, 2017, 11:36:58 AM »
One of our nation's' best CCs..... in Boston.
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #460 on: July 08, 2017, 01:36:07 PM »
Just noticed the "Norton Furniture Building" is for sale. Would make an awesome residential conversion....

2106-2108 Payne Ave
Cleveland, OH 44114 · 113,000 SF · Industrial For Sale $3,000,000
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20377393/2106-2108-Payne-Ave-Cleveland-OH/

"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline CLE618

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #461 on: July 10, 2017, 09:44:33 AM »
Just noticed the "Norton Furniture Building" is for sale. Would make an awesome residential conversion....

2106-2108 Payne Ave
Cleveland, OH 44114 · 113,000 SF · Industrial For Sale $3,000,000
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20377393/2106-2108-Payne-Ave-Cleveland-OH/

"You can count on it!..."

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #462 on: July 10, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »
Much history in that building.  Trent Reznor worked in the studio there while working on Pretty Hate Machine.
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #463 on: July 14, 2017, 03:46:27 PM »
I think it would be great to see Cleveland State's campus presence expand north.

Offline Clefan98

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #464 on: July 14, 2017, 04:10:39 PM »
Luxury' student housing opens in downtown Cleveland

The lights are going on at the newest downtown Cleveland residential project, the 11-story student housing project called The Edge on Euclid.Early move-ins — before the fall college year — began July 1, according to the developers of the 240-suite complex, CRG, a St. Louis, Mo.-based design-builder, and Koman Group, a real estate developer and owner with offices in St. Louis, Mo., and San Diego.The structure at 1750 Euclid Ave. is described as "luxury student housing" as it offers …

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170714/NEWS/170719861/luxury-student-housing-opens-in-downtown-cleveland

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #465 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
First Off-Campus Student Housing High Rise in Downtown Cleveland Opens for Its Doors
JULY 17, 2017   

CLEVELAND, OH - CRG and The Koman Group have begun leasing for The Edge on Euclid, a luxury housing complex with top-of-the-line amenities and private community spaces. Located directly across from Cleveland State University, the new development neighbors the Playhouse Square District.

The building includes 240 residential suites with a fitness center, lounge, café, study areas and a 163-car secured garage. Each of the one- to four fully furnished bedroom suites include a living room, kitchen, granite countertops, spacious closets, washer/dryer and a private bath for each bedroom.  Outside, tenants can enjoy a private outdoor amenity courtyard and the 11th floor sky deck with spectacular views of University's main campus and the downtown Cleveland area.

MORE:
http://www.multifamilybiz.com/News/7775/First_OffCampus_Student_Housing_High_Rise_in_Downt...
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Remove Ads