Author Topic: Cleveland: Campus District  (Read 111069 times)

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
Re: Cleveland: Campus District
« Reply #420 on: May 10, 2017, 12:53:54 PM »
Regarding the Frangos Group. Keep in mind that just next door to these parcels CSU has released an RFP for the redevelopment of the 19 acre Wolstein Center site.  These are due June 20.  I tried to find a connect between the 5 groups  that are submitting and Frangos but came up empty.  But if CSU is planning up to 1000 units for student housing they will need parking which could explain the Frangos purchase. Also CSU is looking to privatize their parking situation. I would like to think Frangos is planning something bigger but that just not his thang.
live small  dream big

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #421 on: May 10, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
Yeah I was thinking that Frangos might try to get some benefit from the Wolstein Center redevelopment. But I guess I was just hoping that Frangos wouldn't try to build a parking moat between the Wolstein Center redevelopment and the Gateway District.
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #423 on: May 16, 2017, 04:59:02 PM »
Don't know if this would be Campus District or Gateway. So I flipped a coin and put it here. Vacating streets is a possible early indicator of a real estate development. I love this area for a self-contained Transit Oriented Development overlooking the Cuyahoga Valley. Vacating Andes Court means it gets drawn, quartered and absorbed into the adjoining properties. Other than ODOT, the adjoining private property owner is McElwee Properties LLC which, since 2013, owns Cleveland Black Oxide Inc. business (a powder coating service which in turn is owned by Tatham Schulz Inc.).

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2017/05192017/index.php

Agenda for May 19, 2017

ADMINISTRATIVE APPROVALS

Ordinance No. 500-17(Ward 3/Councilmember McCormack): To vacate a portion of Andes Court S.E. 
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #424 on: May 23, 2017, 07:03:00 PM »

#Alien #Aliens #Alien3 #AlienResurrection #Prometheus # AlienCovenant
The real greatest story ever told

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #425 on: May 23, 2017, 08:28:20 PM »
Thanks for the pics Dumbledore. That building turned out pretty good, and it has great street presence.

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #426 on: May 23, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »
It looks better than i expected
"got this thang licked like stamps and 9 volt battery end caps"~Big Boi

Offline anthonyb

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #427 on: May 23, 2017, 09:05:33 PM »
I never liked the look of this building from the renderings, but wow!! The finished product looks really good and adds some well needed density.

Offline McLovin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #428 on: May 23, 2017, 10:34:43 PM »
Curious to see Prospect...

Offline dave68

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #429 on: May 24, 2017, 03:12:17 AM »
This is how buildings should be situated in urban settings. CSU needs to look at unnecessary setbacks along Euclid Ave.

Offline msa1092

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #430 on: May 25, 2017, 12:39:23 PM »
That turned out soooo much better than I expected.

Offline Urbanophile

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #431 on: May 25, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »
Now all we need is that new tower on the Playhouse Square lot, and a new Urban Affairs building that abuts the whole stretch of Euclid between E. 17th and E. 18th (preferably with retail).

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #432 on: May 25, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »
^ What?  You don't like the moat around the Urban Affairs building?

Offline Urbanophile

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #433 on: May 25, 2017, 01:12:21 PM »
^ lol yeah, gotta love that moat which literally goes right up against the sidewalk on Euclid without fencing. When I was a student at CSU, I should've "accidentally" fallen down there. I could've gotten a nice settlement - no student debt!

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
« Reply #434 on: May 31, 2017, 09:11:19 PM »
not sure if this is the right forum but I heard Central Cadillac was sold to Ganley group and the dealership will be moving.  Not sure what sort of redevelopment could happen there.  It's not exactly a hot pocket of development right there.  Sort of on the fringe of nothing.

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #435 on: May 31, 2017, 09:14:52 PM »
Any idea where they will move? 

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #436 on: May 31, 2017, 10:57:18 PM »
Interesting. Go back to the discussion following my Nov. 2015 posting about the sale of Central Cadillac to a new company set up by Frank Porter, the owner of Central Cadillac:

https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,14163.msg779651.html#msg779651

Online YABO713

« Reply #437 on: June 14, 2017, 11:23:01 AM »
It appears the HVAC is about to go on the roof at the Edge
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline simplythis

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #438 on: June 14, 2017, 11:48:25 AM »
Awesome. Will the edge be ready for students coming in in August?   

Online YABO713

« Reply #439 on: June 14, 2017, 12:05:20 PM »
Heating and cooling units going up at the Edge
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #440 on: June 15, 2017, 08:38:38 AM »
Cleveland State University to honor Norm Krumholz's 90th birthday today with street renaming (photos)

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2017/06/cleveland_state_university_to.html#incart_river_home

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #441 on: June 18, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »
Campus, MidTown districts considering addition of SIDs
June 18, 2017 UPDATED 2 DAYS AGO
By JAY MILLER

Two more Cleveland development corporations are planning to create special improvement districts, or SIDs, within the areas they serve.

Campus District Inc. and MidTown Cleveland Inc. see the SIDs as a self-help way to polish the appearance and the image of their prime commercial areas and to attract more development. They have seen how SIDs have worked, most recently, to spiff up Ohio City and the Gordon Square Arts District.

The Campus District neighborhood runs between East 18th Street and East 30th Street from Interstate 77 on the south to the Shoreway on the north. Midtown covers the commercial and industrial blocks that run from the Innerbelt Freeway on the west to East 79th Street on the east, between Payne and Carnegie avenues.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170618/NEWS/170619813/campus-midtown-districts-considering-addition-of-sids?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Online YABO713

« Reply #442 on: June 29, 2017, 05:33:16 PM »
The Constantino's Market Place going in at the Edge looks like it will be in a nice space.

Offline CbusTransit

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #443 on: June 29, 2017, 05:35:50 PM »
Wait. What? Constantinos is building a market at the Edge? The new building on Euclid? This is the first I've heard of it

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #444 on: June 29, 2017, 05:51:04 PM »
^ Yeah, that's news to me too. I remember folks were disappointed the Edge would have no retail.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #445 on: June 29, 2017, 05:52:16 PM »
Cuyahoga Community College to put 0.5-mill bond issue on November ballot
June 29, 2017 UPDATED 3 HOURS AGO
By RACHEL ABBEY MCCAFFERTY   

Cuyahoga Community College's board of trustees voted to put a 0.5-mill bond issue on the Nov. 7 ballot. The issue, if passed, would support a number of construction and renovation projects at Tri-C's campuses around the region.

The vote took place during a regular board meeting on Thursday, June 29, according to a news release from the school.

If passed, the bond issue would begin to be collected in 2018 and would run for 25 years. The release stated that the bond issue would generate about $227 million for Tri-C. The estimated cost to homeowners would be less than $1.50 per month for a $100,000 home, according to the release.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170629/NEWS/170629748/cuyahoga-community-college-to-put-0-5-mill-bond-issue-on-november

Online YABO713

« Reply #446 on: June 29, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »
Yup, they have some not-so-prominent signage in the window at the instersection. It will be marketed as more of a cafe/market though
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:16:38 PM by YABO713 »

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #447 on: June 30, 2017, 12:46:11 PM »
Cuyahoga Community College's board of trustees voted to put a 0.5-mill bond issue on the Nov. 7 ballot. The issue, if passed, would support a number of construction and renovation projects at Tri-C's campuses around the region.

This seems like edifice-itis by trustees who don't know what else to do. Is construction what Tri-C really needs? They should work on a quality faculty and better academics first.

Offline inlovewithCLE

« Reply #448 on: July 01, 2017, 10:39:03 PM »

This seems like edifice-itis by trustees who don't know what else to do. Is construction what Tri-C really needs? They should work on a quality faculty and better academics first.

Such short sighted thinking. It's not an either/or proposition. It should be both. Tri-C's new construction plans could be catalytic, particularly around the metro campus. I don't know how anyone could think that's a bad thing

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #449 on: July 02, 2017, 01:14:59 AM »
In a metro without a sizeable, major, national university to help feed our local populace and work force with a continuing stream of top notch graduates each year (think: OSU) - bolstering the visibility of our already way-too-locally-prominent community college is what the region's taxpayers should be asked to directly support? I just don't get it...

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #450 on: July 02, 2017, 11:57:25 AM »
Such short sighted thinking. It's not an either/or proposition. It should be both. Tri-C's new construction plans could be catalytic, particularly around the metro campus. I don't know how anyone could think that's a bad thing

Studies show that given a sound roof and basic sanitation facilities, the school building itself has little or no effect on the quality of education. Asking for a 25-year (i.e. permanent) tax increase for some unknown construction project says the Tri-C administration has not done its homework. Based on what we know so far, voters should defeat the tax.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #451 on: July 02, 2017, 12:24:14 PM »

Studies show that given a sound roof and basic sanitation facilities, the school building itself has little or no effect on the quality of education. Asking for a 25-year (i.e. permanent) tax increase for some unknown construction project says the Tri-C administration has not done its homework. Based on what we know so far, voters should defeat the tax.

What "unknown construction project" are you referring to?  The article clearly states what the projects are going to be.  Most seem to address "sound roof and basic sanitation facilities" or are STEM field related- an area of high need that has special requirements for educational space.

In a metro without a sizeable, major, national university to help feed our local populace and work force with a continuing stream of top notch graduates each year (think: OSU) - bolstering the visibility of our already way-too-locally-prominent community college is what the region's taxpayers should be asked to directly support? I just don't get it...

What's a "major, national university"?  Case doesn't qualify?  And since we don't have one we shouldn't invest in the universities we do have?  You're afraid that by making CCC better that people will notice it exists?  I really don't get your point.

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #452 on: July 02, 2017, 01:21:37 PM »

What "unknown construction project" are you referring to?  The article clearly states what the projects are going to be.  Most seem to address "sound roof and basic sanitation facilities" or are STEM field related- an area of high need that has special requirements for educational space.

The article seems pretty vague to me. Yes, a few generic projects are named, but they are undefined even in the phase II plan. How can they possibly know how much money they need? And if they want a tax increase for routine maineneance, they have mismanaged their facilities.

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #453 on: July 02, 2017, 02:34:03 PM »
What's a "major, national university"?  Case doesn't qualify?  And since we don't have one we shouldn't invest in the universities we do have?  You're afraid that by making CCC better that people will notice it exists?  I really don't get your point.

He's probably referring to the fact that Ohio State University and University of Cincinnati are large state universities. Case Western Reserve University is academically on par with the best schools in the country, but it's a relatively small (~5,000 undergraduates and ~6,000 postgraduates) private school whose enrollment is international in character, meaning it's almost certain that a smaller proportion of them stay in Cleveland after graduation in comparison to those moving to attend OSU and UC. And yes, while we do have Cleveland State, I'd argue that beyond its smaller size (about half as many students as UC and a quarter as many as OSU), it's in no way an actual peer, whether academically or in prestige, to the major public universities in Cincinnati and Columbus.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:34:20 PM by Clevelander17 »

Online YABO713

« Reply #454 on: July 02, 2017, 02:53:06 PM »
This discussion sheds light on why I love Ronald Berkman leading CSU. I know he has caught some criticism - most notably for his comfortable lifestyle - but he has done an incredible job with Cleveland State.

If we were to look at the Campus District in 2010 versus what it is now it is not even comparable. The new nursing, NEOMed, Student Center, and now engineering buildings are incredible. Not to mention the fact that in 2008, there were about 900 CSU students living full time in the campus district. Next fall there will be over 5,000. From what I have heard, it is Berkman's vision to leave the school as an "actual" college campus. I know some years back there was talk of changing the school's name to Cleveland University, but I'm not certain that would make a huge difference with perception. All in all, I think we could have a very, very nice, expansive university by 2022.

The major issue with housing is the lack of traditional "front porch" housing that so many schools rely upon, such as Ohio State and UC. The Langston has been a nice addition and the Edge looks to be a fun addition as well, but I wouldn't mind seeing a surface lot converted into college-appropriate row homes.

The addition of lacrosse has been a terrific move as well, as the Vikings have only the 2nd D1 lax program in the state.

Remove Ads