Author Topic: Cleveland: Campus District  (Read 114019 times)

simplythis, tlb919, dar124, audidave and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
Re: Cleveland: Campus District
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 07:23:14 AM »
Sheesh, it's about time the PD reported on this! ;-) (see my July 16 post)

Redevelopment to bring 39 apartments to Superior Ave., in 150-bed project aimed at students (gallery)
By Michelle Jarboe McFee, The Plain Dealer
on October 14, 2013 at 7:00 AM, updated October 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A local developer trio is converting a onetime textile building on Superior Avenue into housing, with an eye on capturing student renters as Cleveland State University stretches north.

Karen Perkowski, who runs the nearby Tower Press lofts with her husband, Dave, has partnered with Neil Viny of the Dalad Group and serial entrepreneur Doug Weintraub to transform the M.T. Silver building into 39 apartments with space for 150 beds.

The $10.5 million project at 2320 Superior Ave. won't be limited to students. But it's clearly positioned to play off Cleveland State's shift from a commuter school to an engine of residential growth on the east side of downtown.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/10/redevelopment_to_bring_39_apar.html#incart_river_default
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:33:22 AM by KJP »
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Offline originaljbw

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
  • Livin in the OB!
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »
I love everything that's going on in the neighborhood BUT... What the H-e-double-hockeysticks is keeping the Norton Furniture building from being renovated into apartments? Seems like there is no time like the present for a building of that age in that location to be instantly sold out with $1200 a month apartments.
-Mea Gloria Fides-

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 09:55:13 AM »
I love everything that's going on in the neighborhood BUT... What the H-e-double-hockeysticks is keeping the Norton Furniture building from being renovated into apartments? Seems like there is no time like the present for a building of that age in that location to be instantly sold out with $1200 a month apartments.

Because it has an active business in there.
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Offline DeanSheen

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 09:59:10 AM »

I work near there.  Plenty of other similar candidates right around that Norton location. 

I'm glad they are finally on the home stretch of Superior repaving.  That should help change the perception a bit. 

Offline originaljbw

• Livin in the OB!
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »

Because it has an active business in there.
I get the first few floors, how about the ten or so floors above it where a fair portion of the windows are broken and/or boarded up.

Additionally how successful is that store? The one time I went there I thought it was a studio sale from the set of Miami Vice.
-Mea Gloria Fides-

Offline sizzlinbeef

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
Funny you mention that, because over the past few weeks they have been repairing the broken and boarded up windows, not sure why, but maybe to make the building more marketable.

Offline BaltiCraig

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »
Site of Jewish Federation of Cleveland's former HQ could become student housing

The former Jewish Federation of Cleveland headquarters at 1750 Euclid Ave. and an adjoining building at 1720 Euclid may make way for construction of an eight-floor building for student housing and a parking garage.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20131203/FREE/131209938

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »

The former Jewish Federation of Cleveland headquarters at 1750 Euclid Ave. and an adjoining building at 1720 Euclid may make way for construction of an eight-floor building for student housing and a parking garage.

A project description Clayco filed with the city planning department said the proposed building would have 217 rooms and beds for 519 students at Cleveland State University. The project, described as an upscale building with its own courtyard, would include a 234-car parking garage, according to the project description. Clayco would own and develop the property, the document stated.

Fronting Euclid Ave I bet. :roll: Why not build on the dozen parking lots in the area? There is a huge lot just south of this building along Prospect...

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 11:47:17 AM »
1720 looks like a beautiful building already. Thats the "Playhouse Square Building" right? Ill be glad to see the Jewish fed building go, but why the other? Oh wait... this is a CSU project lol
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:49:47 AM by PoshSteve »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 12:16:20 PM »
It's not a CSU development per se, but it is for CSU......

Student housing project could replace former Jewish Federation of Cleveland properties near CSU campus
on December 03, 2013 at 12:30 PM, updated December 03, 2013 at 12:51 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Housing for 500-plus students could replace parking lots and a pair of empty buildings at the edge of Cleveland State University, under a plan being floated by an out-of-state developer.

An affiliate of Clayco Realty Group of Chicago has a contract to buy 1.7 acres along East 18th Street from the Jewish Federation of Cleveland. The federation moved to Beachwood in 2010, emptying out its downtown buildings at 1720 and 1750 Euclid Ave. Officials never formally listed the buildings and parking lots for sale, but they've been quietly fielding --- and largely rebuffing -- unsolicited offers.

Now Clayco hopes to clear the site, to make way for a 217-unit apartment building housing 509 beds. The eight-story building would wrap around a four-story Prospect Avenue parking deck topped by a heated swimming pool and grilling area.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/12/student_housing_project_could.html#incart_river_default

Offline McLovin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 12:17:55 PM »

A project description Clayco filed with the city planning department said the proposed building would have 217 rooms and beds for 519 students at Cleveland State University. The project, described as an upscale building with its own courtyard, would include a 234-car parking garage, according to the project description. Clayco would own and develop the property, the document stated.

Fronting Euclid Ave I bet. :roll: Why not build on the dozen parking lots in the area? There is a huge lot just south of this building along Prospect...

I have no issue with the garage only if the garage has a modern look with retail at the bottom *cough* 515 Euclid *cough*

Offline McLovin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 12:20:21 PM »
It's not a CSU development per se, but it is for CSU......

Student housing project could replace former Jewish Federation of Cleveland properties near CSU campus
on December 03, 2013 at 12:30 PM, updated December 03, 2013 at 12:51 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Housing for 500-plus students could replace parking lots and a pair of empty buildings at the edge of Cleveland State University, under a plan being floated by an out-of-state developer.

An affiliate of Clayco Realty Group of Chicago has a contract to buy 1.7 acres along East 18th Street from the Jewish Federation of Cleveland. The federation moved to Beachwood in 2010, emptying out its downtown buildings at 1720 and 1750 Euclid Ave. Officials never formally listed the buildings and parking lots for sale, but they've been quietly fielding --- and largely rebuffing -- unsolicited offers.

Now Clayco hopes to clear the site, to make way for a 217-unit apartment building housing 509 beds. The eight-story building would wrap around a four-story Prospect Avenue parking deck topped by a heated swimming pool and grilling area.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/12/student_housing_project_could.html#incart_river_default

Looks like an office building
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:20:41 PM by McLovin »

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »
There are a couple renderings in the story

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/12/student_housing_project_could.html

"got this thang licked like stamps and 9 volt battery end caps"~Big Boi

Offline McLovin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
There are a couple renderings in the story

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/12/student_housing_project_could.html

I really hope that building design gets shut down by the design committee that is ugly.

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »
Lots of positives in the article.  Most significant is out of state developer seeing potential in the city.

The design is not great but not awful either.  A positive is that it will be built to the street on Euclid (getting rid of that ugly plaza in front of the current building) and also replaces that awful surface lot on Prospect.

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 12:40:17 PM »
I like it better than the recently built dorms a few blocks down.  Some type of cornice would be nice, but not absolutely necessary to win my approval.  Of course, I imagine the design and placement of the garage are going to invoke some 'pedestrian deathtrap' comments on here
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »
The site plan is better than I expected. Not a fan of the large sidewalk deadzone around the parking garage.

I like it better than the recently built dorms a few blocks down.  Some type of cornice would be nice, but not absolutely necessary to win my approval.  Of course, I imagine the design and placement of the garage are going to invoke some 'pedestrian deathtrap' comments on here

Absolutely people will complain about the garage.  There is nothing fronting the sidewalk from the alley to the surface lot on the other side. Lighting and garages entrances might help. At least there would be some kind of traffic around there.

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
Hard to assess from those renderings, but could be OK, I guess. Looks like there may be an interesting window pattern.  I agree with Hts that's its almost definitely going to be better than the junk further down Euclid.  Stinks to lose the "Playhouse Square Building" though.

I got excited at first when I read this in Michelle's article: The eight-story building would wrap around a four-story Prospect Avenue parking deck topped by a heated swimming pool and grilling area.

But alas, it doesn't really wrap around it, but is rather built on top of it, so much of the perimeter will be dead space.  The green screen is a nice touch, so could be a lot worse.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »
Isn't the building in the rendering the Playhouse Square Building?  I hope so, it is a lovely building. 

http://media.cleveland.com/business_impact/photo/1725-euclid-sw-aerial-2013-12-03jpg-db1118db5fd19448.jpg
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:13:38 PM by willyboy »
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline McLovin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
I feel small things could be done such as having more glass on the building and placing lounges in that area for students to look out at the city so it wont seem so bland or more vibrant colors, just something to liven the area. I just don't like the dark colored building, and box shape it just looks so uninspiring.

EDIT: The parking lot in the back bothers me for some reason as well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:21:18 PM by McLovin »

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2013, 01:16:59 PM »
The site plan is better than I expected. Not a fan of the large sidewalk deadzone around the parking garage.

Absolutely people will complain about the garage.  There is nothing fronting the sidewalk from the alley to the surface lot on the other side. Lighting and garages entrances might help. At least there would be some kind of traffic around there.

It is the entrance which creates the deathtrap... if I understand the concern correctly
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2013, 01:40:34 PM »
It is the entrance which creates the deathtrap... if I understand the concern correctly

I didn't really make my point clear. The renderings don't show any entrances (for cars or people) around the garage, making the entire area a deadzone. Even garage entrances would be better than nothing. It looks like entrances are in the alley between the buildings. But admittedly the renderings don't show much so maybe there are doors, offices, or something along the sidewalk.

Looks like a good project overall. The garage and residential fills in most of the surface lot along Prospect. It would be better if there was something along the sidewalk on Prospect to extend the neighborhood from the K&D Hanna building a block west. Can't have everything though.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:44:51 PM by Mendo »

Offline Urbanophile

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 02:16:36 PM »
I used to always walk up E. 18th on my way to my summer internship at CSU, and I always thought how desperately it needed to be spruced up. This building will help a lot. However, I think it's unacceptable to tear down that brick building.

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2013, 02:20:48 PM »
Isn't the building in the rendering the Playhouse Square Building?  I hope so, it is a lovely building. 

http://media.cleveland.com/business_impact/photo/1725-euclid-sw-aerial-2013-12-03jpg-db1118db5fd19448.jpg

I think that's the Bonfoey Gallery building in the rendering.  The PHS Building is between that one and the JCF Building.  In theory, even the JCF building is significant loss because of the stature of the architect, but it really is pretty forgettable.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
By STAN BULLARD
11:49 am, December 3, 2013
(This story was updated at 3:40 p.m.)

Clayco, a Chicago-based construction and real estate firm, will ask the Cleveland City Planning Commission to demolish the two existing buildings for the proposed project, according to the agenda for the commission's meeting this Friday, Dec. 6.

READ MORE AT:

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2013, 04:12:39 PM »
I think this project is really exciting.  I might not like the design of the other dorms, but I fully appreciate what they have done for CSU and that stretch of Euclid.  This would give the campus another residential bookend and really add to some more life to the street.

I didn't really make my point clear. The renderings don't show any entrances (for cars or people) around the garage, making the entire area a deadzone. Even garage entrances would be better than nothing.

Nor did I.  We are confusing the UO lingo of "pedestrian deadzone" and "pedestrian deathtrap".  No use of the wall creates the deadzone.  But a garage entrance creates a deathtrap, with vehicles plowing down pedestrians while entering/exiting the garage.  I didn't understand the distinction either until the casino garage discussion..... and of course I'm being a smarta&& about the whole thing.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »
Who's owns the parking lot in the foreground?  Perhaps this Playhouse Square Building could be saved if the dorms wrap more around the back.

And ironically, an article on the importance of historic preservation by CSU: http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index.ssf/2013/12/integrating_the_legacy_of_the.html
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:48:06 PM by MuRrAy HiLL »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »
Who's owns the parking lot in the foreground?  Perhaps this Playhouse Square Building could be saved if the dorms wrap more around the back.

It looks like Victory Properties, which appears to be affiliated with Shaia's Parking.  The same entity owns the garage on the other side of 17th.

http://www2.sos.state.oh.us/pls/bsqry/f?p=100:7:0::NO:7:P7_CHARTER_NUM:429115
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:37:57 PM by FrqntFlyr »

Offline urb-a-saurus

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »
Looks like a bland, institutional box.  It's the long flat roof line, like Uptown phase 1, with less flair, and a squared off corner instead of a curve.  I agree that it would be better to have less, but taller frontage on Euclid, and more building on E 18th, thereby creating more variety and saving the PHS building.

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »
Regardless of the aesthetics of the property or its ground-level uses (or lack thereof), I PRAY that we verify all financing is in place before there's even a hint of a wrecking ball showing up. Given their timetable, it sounds like they have funds in hand, but Planning, please let's check :D

This property already sits across the street from the little used greenspace next to Levin, and the requested demos open up a sightline of an immense amount of existing surface parking ... Walking across East 18th on the south side of Euclid, you would have a big swath of green to the north, and to the south, you could see surface parking all the way to East 14th and Sumner ... a quarter-mile of parking only interrupted by road!!! If this project starts to fill in some of those lots and fronts the streets, bully for us. But if this falls through post-demo, or just gets tied up for a few years while the developers navigate layered financing, it would be a huge blow to an intersection that otherwise stands to benefit from increasing pedestrian cross-traffic between PlayhouseSquare and CSU (opposite placemaking by PlayhouseSquare).

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
Also, is it just me, or does this building look unusually short for 8 stories? It looks significantly shorter in the rendering than the 1900 building, which I think is 8 stories, and about the same height as the business school, which has got to be, what, like 6 maybe? Maybe it's just my 3-D challenged mind :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:53:01 AM by 8ShadesofGray »

Offline Oldmanladyluck

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
And... Prospect Ave. unfortunately continues to be one of the bastard step-children of downtown.  How many parking garages and surface parking lots have to front Prospect?  Just sayin'... I think the street deserves better.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:11:48 AM by Oldmanladyluck »
A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
-Mohandas Gandhi

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2013, 11:14:08 AM »
This is on the City Planning Commission's docket for Friday:
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2013/12062013/index.php

Here are most of the renders published by CPC (others, including site plans, are at the link above):

Offline SixthCity

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »
This may be a silly question but we keep on hearing how the downtown market cannot yet support the cost of new construction.  Yet this project and even the Mariner's Watch project on Detroit are completely privately financed projects complete with garages and other big ticket stuff (pool on the roof of the campus district project).  So....is this noise about the Cleveland market being too depressed to support new construction incorrect/overblown?
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2013, 11:32:22 AM »
^my first thought is that this is not classic market rate housing.  It is student housing which I imagine has a different financial forumula.

Remove Ads