Author Topic: Cleveland: Campus District  (Read 102410 times)

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
Re: Cleveland: Campus District
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2015, 10:44:59 AM »
I'm fine with the shorter height if it means adding density to more than just the Euclid side.
Just got back from the CPC meeting and the developer claims that the previous plan (the one extending from Euclid to Prospect) was more costly than they had anticipated, mainly because of the garage. They also mentioned that the new plan will have more units than the previous one, going from 217 to 237 units (or close to 20 more, he said it really fast). It also seems like the parking structure (not really a garage, more of a glorified surface lot) might not be worth it if zoning code is followed, which would require screening and a buffer, but that's only if BZA denies them. Seems like it would be better for them to just keep the surface lot there, especially if they have to add a buffer/screen because then they would have the same number of spaces as the current lot. But they want to pursue a bit more parking to better there chances of getting financing.
Will there be ground floor retail on this garage lot?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:51:29 AM by McLovin »

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2015, 10:50:49 AM »
Here's the revised design

This building doesn't seem like it would age well. The colors and design don't seem timeless it reminds me of a hotel by the airport. If this is the direction they will go, I prefer the @dave68 tweak, it makes it seem more modern.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:55:50 AM by McLovin »

Offline andrew0816

• Premium Member
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2015, 11:01:32 AM »
@McLovin - the garage is hard to explain. The lower level is only accessible from the ally and the upper level is at grade with prospect. No additional levels, no ramps...basically a surface lot on Prospect with parking below. The presentation and materials they provided CPC does not really display this either.

And as far as the design, it's not the best but I really think if they used the materials in the original design (below) it would look much better. The grey and darker brick looks better, IMO.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:03:17 AM by andrew0816 »

Offline SixthCity

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2015, 01:22:05 PM »
@andrew0816 Any other juice from the CPC meeting this morning?

Lease and architect are near approval for the new Campus International school

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland school board is close to hiring ThenDesign Architecture for the new Campus International school, along with signing a 50-year lease for the property and hiring a construction manager.

The district is moving fast on the popular and successful collaboration with Cleveland State University to have a new building in place by 2016.

The plan calls for Cleveland State to virtually donate the land for the new $22 million, 720-student building to serve preschool through eighth grade.

...Lease for land: The school will go on 2.5 acres on the north side of Payne Avenue between E. 21st Street and E. 22nd Street. That land is now used for parking.

...Campus International, which adds a new grade every year, needs a new home by fall of 2016 to handle rising enrollment. If a new building isn't finished by then, the district will have to keep paying to lease space for classes.

The district is already leasing space at the former First United Methodist Church at East 30th Street and Euclid Avenue this school year and next school year for Campus International's fifth and sixth grades."

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/01/lease_and_architect_are_near_a.html#incart_river
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2015, 11:02:55 AM »
CROSS-POSTED:

developer forsakes chicago for the 216, snaps up vintage space in campus district

erin o'brien | Monday, January 26, 2015

Twenty-year development veteran Chris Matan is buying into Cleveland in more ways than one.

Not only did he leave the Windy City -- his hometown -- to marry wife Ivana three and a half years ago, he closed just last month on a 25,000-square-foot building at 2104 Superior Avenue.

"When I first moved here, I'd drive around the area and it shocked me -- the product that was here, the warehouse buildings so close to downtown. Nothing was happening," he says. "I kind of saw the future in some of these buildings."

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/campusdistrictdev012615.aspx

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:06:19 AM by MuRrAy HiLL »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »
CROSS-POSTED:

developer forsakes chicago for the 216, snaps up vintage space in campus district

erin o'brien | Monday, January 26, 2015

Twenty-year development veteran Chris Matan is buying into Cleveland in more ways than one.

Not only did he leave the Windy City -- his hometown -- to marry wife Ivana three and a half years ago, he closed just last month on a 25,000-square-foot building at 2104 Superior Avenue.

"When I first moved here, I'd drive around the area and it shocked me -- the product that was here, the warehouse buildings so close to downtown. Nothing was happening," he says. "I kind of saw the future in some of these buildings."

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/campusdistrictdev012615.aspx

I'd bet that in time this purchase is going to prove a very worthwhile investment.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
Up for approval. Same renders as posted before are at:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/02062015/index.php

City Planning Commission
Agenda for February 6, 2015

DOWNTOWN/FLATS DESIGN REVIEW
DF2013-092 – 1750 Euclid Student Housing/Parking Structure New Construction: Seeking Final Approval
Project Address: 1750 Euclid Avenue
Project Representatives: Rob Lochner, Clayco Realty Group
Bob Neely, Forum Studio

"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2015, 06:47:35 PM »
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/02062015/index.php

City Planning Commission

DF2014-069 – Salvation Army New Construction: Seeking Final Approval
Project Address: 1710 Prospect Avenue
Project Representatives: Sal Rini, Perspectus Architecture
Ray Minotas, Perspectus Architecture
Richard Bauschard, Owner's Representative

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2015, 08:50:53 PM »
Up for approval. Same renders as posted before are at:

City Planning Commission

DOWNTOWN/FLATS DESIGN REVIEW
DF2013-092 – 1750 Euclid Student Housing/Parking Structure New Construction: Seeking Final Approval
Project Address: 1750 Euclid Avenue
Project Representatives: Rob Lochner, Clayco Realty Group
Bob Neely, Forum Studio

Brutal, no other way to describe it.

Offline Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2015, 09:06:50 PM »
I think the final version looks good enough. They brought back the window design from the original renderings and shrunk the dark brown section on floors 3-4. Not great, but will look fitting along Euclid.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2015, 09:11:48 PM »
And it's 11 stories with a street presence. Those are the kinds of things I'm willing to trade elegance for.

Offline w28th

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2015, 09:15:40 PM »
And it's 11 stories with a street presence. Those are the kinds of things I'm willing to trade elegance for.

Is putting another parking garage along Prospect worth some height though?  Not surprisingly the developer thinks so.
"When you stand at the corner of Euclid Avenue and East Ninth Street in Cleveland, you stand at one of the busiest corners in the world -- and in the heart of a shopping district known far and wide for its many fine shops."

Offline andrew0816

• Premium Member
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2015, 09:52:07 PM »
^It's not really a parking garage, it's more of a glorified surface parking lot that uses elevation changes to add parking spaces.

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2015, 11:45:38 PM »
I'd rather have a building that is shorter, that wraps around and interacts with virtually all sides of the street than an 11 story building that will look dated (IMO) very quickly. I don't want a "good enough" building i want a building that will look as though it will last for years to come and can be talked about positively.

Offline dave68

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2015, 02:36:56 AM »
Were these adjustments in design based on feedback they received in January?  Not sure what they were asked to accomplish.  I preferred the massing of the shorter design and color.  I played with the detailing to give the building more movement and balance I included the design proposed for comparison
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:42:50 AM by dave68 »

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2015, 04:46:06 AM »
Is what it is for student housing.  Kind of like hospitals in that your lucky to get a nice design out of them.  I would have just preferred to see the CSU housing develop along Chester, and not Euclid.

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2015, 01:46:11 PM »
I hope they break ground soon, because each time they come back with a new design it looks even worse. 

[Edited for typo]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:34:52 PM by StrapHanger »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline SixthCity

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2015, 08:18:49 AM »
Salvation Army aims to build new family shelter at Harbor Light Complex in downtown Cleveland

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Salvation Army of Greater Cleveland hopes to expand its downtown Harbor Light Complex with a shelter designed to accommodate 35 families.

Members of the Cleveland City Planning Commission gave the project a thumbs-up last week. Architects told the commission Friday that funding is in place and construction might start in May or June. But in interviews, Salvation Army leaders took pains to stress that nothing is firm.

"It's a plan that is still being rolled out, and some of the details still have to be finalized," said Major Lurlene Johnson, divisional secretary and area coordinator for the Salvation Army in the region. "I don't want to make promises to the community that we cannot deliver on."

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/02/salvation_army_aims_to_build_n.html#incart_river
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2015, 08:41:37 AM »
Salvation Army aims to build new family shelter at Harbor Light Complex in downtown Cleveland

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Salvation Army of Greater Cleveland hopes to expand its downtown Harbor Light Complex with a shelter designed to accommodate 35 families.

Members of the Cleveland City Planning Commission gave the project a thumbs-up last week. Architects told the commission Friday that funding is in place and construction might start in May or June. But in interviews, Salvation Army leaders took pains to stress that nothing is firm.

"It's a plan that is still being rolled out, and some of the details still have to be finalized," said Major Lurlene Johnson, divisional secretary and area coordinator for the Salvation Army in the region. "I don't want to make promises to the community that we cannot deliver on."

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/02/salvation_army_aims_to_build_n.html#incart_river

So that's what this is!
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,14163.msg743182.html#msg743182

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2015, 06:24:45 PM »
Student apartments at Playhouse Square's edge win OK from Cleveland's planning commission
By Michelle Jarboe McFee, The Plain Dealer
on February 09, 2015 at 3:30 PM, updated February 09, 2015 at 4:39 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A 237-unit apartment project at the intersection of Cleveland State University and Playhouse Square won final approval last week from a city commission, setting the stage for construction after more than a year of talks.

The Cleveland City Planning Commission gave its unanimous OK on Friday to Clayco Realty Group's student-housing plan at East 18th Street and Euclid Avenue. An 11-story building, containing roughly 535 beds in furnished apartments, will replace a pair of vacant buildings owned by the Jewish Federation of Cleveland.

Clayco gained an initial round of city approvals in early 2014, but spent most of a year tweaking designs and trying to sort through financing challenges.

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/02/student_apartments_at_playhous.html

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2015, 06:56:31 PM »
So last night I had a dream that this place was built and the parking garage on the Prospect side took 50 years to recover the streetscape back.  All it needed were some strorefronts/a few stories of apartments facing Prospect.  Either I dream like a prophet or Urban Ohio too much...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 06:57:41 PM by MuRrAy HiLL »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline biker16

« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »
why do they need parking?
Every transit trip begins and/or ends as a walking trip, and Walkable Communities are key to greater transit ridership.

Twitter @CLEstreetcar

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2015, 08:03:43 PM »
why do they need parking?

I'd just assume that the majority of college students have cars.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2015, 10:25:51 PM »
Wouldn't it be funny if they built a parking lot and no one showed up?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2015, 11:09:46 PM »
That'd be great, but I'd lay money that it will fill up just as quick as the living units.  And frankly, I'm tired of hearing people whine about it.  It's a fact of life: the affluent people who are moving Downtown may love urban living, but they are mostly going to have cars and will want parking for them.

Offline dave68

« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2015, 03:14:01 AM »
Michelle, from The Plain Dealer .responded to a question I posed to heron the comments section. I asked if she had any insight into the architectural elevations adjusted from January's presentation to February's presentation to the planning commission

This was her response
 "Thanks for commenting. I just typed a very long response to your question, and then the commenting system ate it. So here is a CliffsNotes version:

* In January, downtown/Flats design review members said they felt the facade looked flat. They approved the massing, scale and footprint of the building, but they wanted the developer and architect to spend more time on the details. Some members liked the taller, more compact building. One said the building looked like it had been there forever, which was a good thing. Others, though, questioned whether the design was too conservative.

* Planning commission members mostly focused on the parking structure, which they didn't love. They asked about parking ratios, the elimination of the swimming pool and the lack of retail. They didn't provide a ton of design commentary.

* At the design review meeting last week, two members noted the amount of work Clayco put into multiple revisions and said that they thought the renderings - not the building - might be the problem. "I think the building is nicer than you've drawn it," member Jack Bialosky Jr. said.

* I don't know the details of any discussions between the developer, the architect and city planning staff between the January and February meetings.

Michelle"

Fascinating two members blamed the renderings as not detailing how nice the building will be.   Isn't that the only thing close to showing how it will look?  The finished approved project definitely seemed to go in a lackluster approach.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:17:22 AM by dave68 »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2015, 08:30:30 AM »
That'd be great, but I'd lay money that it will fill up just as quick as the living units.  And frankly, I'm tired of hearing people whine about it.  It's a fact of life: the affluent people who are moving Downtown may love urban living, but they are mostly going to have cars and will want parking for them.

Whoa, who's whining? I was making a joke based on the 60s anti-war slogan "What if they held a war and no one showed up?" And are you certain the students living in this building will be affluent?

I like having the height on Euclid, and if having a not-so-elegant building (with a parking deck on Prospect) is the price for it, I'm OK with that.

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2015, 08:43:09 AM »

Which is why it's really, really disappointing the initial design changed so much.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2015, 08:56:55 AM »
It wasn't directed primarily at you, KJP.  In every discussion of Downtown residences, someone has to moan about the fact that the developer is providing parking, period.  I get not liking the way they do it, or demanding better design, but realistically it's still required.  Someday maybe it won't be.

And have you heard anything about this student housing being less than market rate?  I haven't, and unless that fact has just slipped through the cracks, then yes, I'm certain the students living in this building will be affluent.

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2015, 08:58:07 AM »
I'm fine with the design and the parking deck.  Disappointed about the ground floor, which I understand to be a residents-only gym.  Is that still the plan?
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2015, 09:30:25 AM »
And have you heard anything about this student housing being less than market rate?  I haven't, and unless that fact has just slipped through the cracks, then yes, I'm certain the students living in this building will be affluent.

CSU is attracting more students from the pricey East Coast, so a market-rate apartment in Cleveland is comparably priced to a subsidized apartment on the East Coast.

Offline JG

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2015, 11:44:21 AM »
I'm fine with the design and the parking deck.  Disappointed about the ground floor, which I understand to be a residents-only gym.  Is that still the plan?

Sadly, it appears so. 

"But Coyne and Lillian Kuri, another commission member, reiterated that they wished Clayco had incorporated retail - a coffee shop, for example - into the project. The building's Euclid side will house a cafe and a fitness center, but those spaces will be accessible only to residents and their guests."

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »

Sadly, it appears so. 

"But Coyne and Lillian Kuri, another commission member, reiterated that they wished Clayco had incorporated retail - a coffee shop, for example - into the project. The building's Euclid side will house a cafe and a fitness center, but those spaces will be accessible only to residents and their guests."

Boo.  This is right outside the front doors of the theater district, and they decide to exclude the public.  Another prime chunk of Euclid frontage closed off for the duration of a new building's existence.  Compares most unfavorably to what U of Akron did at Main and Exchange.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:21:22 PM by 327 »
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #208 on: February 10, 2015, 12:23:08 PM »

Sadly, it appears so. 

Boo.  This is right outside the front doors of the theater district, and they decide to exclude the public.  Another prime chunk of Euclid frontage closed off for the duration of a new building's existence.  Compares most unfavorably to what U of Akron did at Main and Exchange.
The concept therefore essentially makes it a dorm hall on Euclid Avenue then.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #209 on: February 10, 2015, 07:14:49 PM »
The concept therefore essentially makes it a dorm hall on Euclid Avenue then.

Hmmm, limit your customer base to residents only. That's an interesting strategy from a financial standpoint.

Remove Ads