Author Topic: Cleveland: Campus District  (Read 102341 times)

Offline YO to the CLE

• 408'-Kettering Tower
Re: Cleveland: Campus District
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2013, 09:27:08 PM »
Again, this is coming from someone who has been going to CSU for four years and making the trek from 24th to public square regularly. I PROMISE you guys that there are very few vacant storefronts between public square and the inner belt ( minus the area between 9th and 12th which will soon be changing). I can name two off the top of my head and that's it. The old Viking tavern and the old acapella space in the Keith building. Thats it. The rest is accounted for. The cousins cigar space is planned to have another quick eatery for CSU students. We need a campus bar to replace the Viking tavern. Seriously. Anyone got a few extra dollars lying around to spend on opening a bar would make a KILLING!!

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2013, 10:01:15 PM »
From the renderings I can see where some retail would make sense. But I am not that concerned about it. There is certain to be activity along Euclid with students coming in and out and using that area as a meeting place and work area. What will be accomplished with another JimmyJohns or PizzaHut in those spaces. I am much more interested in the prospect of 500 students venturing out into the surrounding area and finding the services and goods that they need as opposed to taking the elevator to the lobby and walking twenty feet into a store right outside the building.
live small  dream big

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2013, 10:04:45 PM »
The bigger problem is underutilized first floor space than vacant.

The A Cafe just went out of business so that space is now open. The spaces along star plaza are also largely vacant. The entire north side of Euclid between Cowell and Hubbard and the Allen Theater is grossly misused, east 9th to east 12 is all vacant but hopefully will improve, although I fear we will be gaining another parking garage entrance. Pnc tower's "plaza" is poor street frontage, 668's office wall is terrible. The arcades are improving there frontage, although I believe some of those spaces might be free rent, but still a gain.  The corner alley takes up like 4 storefronts along Euclid which sucks. Positively Cleveland uses a storefront for a conference room.  The May company building has several vacant spaces.

We have so much potential for Euclid but seem to miss the boat.  This building should probably have retail space, but I'm not sure the demand is there based on the other buildings. Euclid should be our retail street.

We have Superior, St Clair, Lakeside, Ontario, and East 9th to be our streets devoid of life!

Offline Bookman

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2013, 09:08:40 PM »
It's not only the empty storefronts that makes the developers cautious about planning for retail space, it's also the history of the uses of the storefronts.  For example, the space recently vacated by Viking Tavern was a Mr. Hero's, but for not more than 8 years.  CSU using the Union Building resulted in Cousins Cigar moving. Rascal House is building out space and there is a Pizza Pan just 50 feet away.  Marino's Hair has a loyal following, but he is nowhere at capacity as a service business.  Johnny's Deli is long gone and I heard it was because they stopped paying the rent.  What you may not know is that the prior owner of Johnny's sold it because the revenue just wasn't where they needed it to be.

The 1900 store has only been there just over two years and has devolved into a beverage store from what I hear.  China Sea is just opening, before that the space was empty for at least 4 years if I remember correctly.  Bon Apetit has only been there for two years.  Then there's the open space which was Best Steak & Gyros, but that closed in 2007 or maybe even longer ago. 

What is now Burgers2Beer was a Southwest Mo's just over a year ago.  Jimmy John's has only been there for around 3 years.  Prior to these two eateries, the space was empty for at least 5 years.

Brothers Printing has been a fixture since the 70's, though that business relies on corporate customers.  Getting more residents in the area isn't going to necessarily generate more revenue for them.  I hate to say this, but I think the brothers will be looking for a new use for their space in the next 5 years.

New construction occurred in 2007 resulting in the University Lofts Bookstore opening in 2008. It probably isn't generating anywhere near the revenue that they expected.  The bookstore business is really challenging, trust me, I know.  The Credit Union just opened within the last two years.  The Mac & Cheese place has only been there since 2012.

The last building on the block is now empty.  It was the leasing office for The Langston, before that it was a Court Reports school.

My point to this long post is to simply say that if there was stability in the uses of the existing street level retail, then I would wholeheartedly agree that the project at E. 18th should include space for more retail.  Since we really don't have stability, then I can't blame the developer for not planning for retail.

Offline YO to the CLE

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
Seriously, you guys don't make any sense to me. We complain that the Planning Commission doesn't push for good design, and when they finally do the right thing, we critique the hell out of everything. Complaining about Corner Alley and Positively Cleveland? Seriously? Positively Cleveland is a perfect location for out of towners, and how many other cities of our size can claim a bowling alley downtown. And as far as the claim that retail is relatively new around CSU...so what? it was only a couple years ago that we just started getting an actual campus life. These places have opened up BECAUSE of the influx of resident students. News flash, 1900 Food and Beverage has always been a "beverage" store that sold snack food as well. This has been the same way since my freshman year when I bought "beverages" there under age. Every campus has one. Hell other campuses have 5 or 6 1900's. Euclid has come a lonnnggg way and is only getting better. I am all for criticism, and I agree on some points, but this thread is getting a little ridiculous.

Offline Bookman

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2013, 11:29:24 PM »
Ok, so if the Planning Commission makes Clayco have the first floor on Euclid become retail space, what kind of retail would you suggest?  What type of retail is missing in the Campus District?

Look at the Langston project to get an idea of the challenges of securing tenants for new retail space.  There are plenty of residents in that area, but there must be factors that have made the decision to sign a contract and build out the space a less than easy deal.  Is the rent too high?  Is there too much competition or are there other expenses that won't allow the business to be profitable enough to justify the investment?

There is still plenty of space on Euclid Ave for more retail within easy walking distance of the Clayco project.  If it were up to me, I'd let them do the project as just residential.  If a clear need for more retail develops, then I'm sure other spaces in the area would get filled and maybe some of the surface lots between E. 17th and E. 14th would go away.

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2013, 01:41:44 AM »
Thanks Bookman for all the info about local retail space.  I take your point that requiring retail space doesn't mean getting quality retail, but at the same time, this building is likely to be at that site for a long time, and retro-fitting space can be prohibitively expensive even when demand is healthy, so I don't think the current market necessarily makes it a bad idea. Personally, I think the goal should be to make sure the frontage isn't a dead zone, such as ground floor dorm rooms with permanently drawn curtains. I don't think that has to be retail space; I'd be fine to see common areas, such as study rooms or a gym. Just something that gives some clear signs of life to the street.

I realize such a requirement might be a burden on the developer, but short of wrecking the whole project, I'm not sure I'm really bothered by that. We ask land-owners to provide public amenities all the time (e.g., all those plantings along the frontage of surface parking).
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »
Discussion of the design of the building and whether to include sidewalk storefronts is appropriate for this thread. But since the developer has not included sidewalk storefronts in its plan so any discussion of what types of retailers/uses could go there would be speculative. Thus, let's leave the speculation of what kind of retail is needed for Euclid Avenue for the retail thread in Discussions. Thanks.
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »
These guys aren't messing around. It's moved on to design review for approval this week.....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2013/12202013/index.php

City Planning Commission
Agenda for December 20, 2013

DF2013-092 - 1750 Euclid Student Housing/Parking Garage New Construction; Demolition of One Office Building and One Mixed-Use Building: Revised Submittal
Project Addresses: 1720 and 1750 Euclid Avenue
Project Representative: Rob Lochner, Clayco Realty Group

EDIT: additional graphics were posted today at the above link. Here's a few of them......

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:28:39 PM by KJP »

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2013, 11:48:56 PM »
It looks like retail might be a part of the euclid ground floor space now.

Offline archangel

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2013, 02:25:18 AM »
UNI QLO?! That would be amazing.

Offline brtshrcegr

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2013, 04:58:47 AM »
^^ Unfotunately, I think they're just showing Uniqlo and the others retail images as representative of the potential pop-up or temporary retail uses the developer cited earlier.

However, if Uniqlo/Top Shop/etc were the "temporary" retail users, I could get onboard with that!

Offline SixthCity

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2013, 08:39:11 AM »
Well, it certainly looks better.  It could be sexier but I'm willing to take it, I guess.

By the way, did anyone see the construction timeline?  Start construction in April 2014 and completion in July 2014?  That's crazy fast!
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »
I'll give them this: they were as responsive as possible to the cry for retail space, without actually providing any retail space.  Looks like they just threw some random sidewalk seating into the rendering and some throw-away pop up eye wash in the presentation. The plan still looks a lot better, though, and the fitness center should provide some signs of life at street level.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline SixthCity

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2013, 09:39:55 AM »
Wait - on second look I realize I may have been duped by the renderings.  I reacted positively to the outdoor seating scene but what are those people sitting there for?
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »
^ on closer look, it appears there might be a cafe. Even so, I feel like a first floor fitness center, lobby, and possible cafe is a decent enough first floor use. Its better than office or residential use in my opinion.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »
I'll give them this: they were as responsive as possible to the cry for retail space, without actually providing any retail space.  Looks like they just threw some random sidewalk seating into the rendering and some throw-away pop up eye wash in the presentation. The plan still looks a lot better, though, and the fitness center should provide some signs of life at street level.
^ on closer look, it appears there might be a cafe. Even so, I feel like a first floor fitness center, lobby, and possible cafe is a decent enough first floor use. Its better than office or residential use in my opinion.

I agree on both counts.

Offline heightsfan

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »
A 3-month build time; that's insane for a building that size.  Wonder if someone made a typo and meant to say July 2015.

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2013, 03:23:40 PM »
A 3-month build time; that's insane for a building that size.  Wonder if someone made a typo and meant to say July 2015.

Yeah seems almost impossible.

Although they did build pretty fast back in the day...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:25:15 PM by ClevelandOhio »

Offline BaltiCraig

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2014, 06:26:32 PM »
Cleveland's Campus District could expand the definition of downtown
[/size]500-plus acre area featuring St. Vincent, Tri-C and CSU is joining with stakeholders for 24/7 community

It's downtown, but it's not the downtown of high-rise office buildings and white-tablecloth restaurants.

The 500-plus acres east of Cleveland's central business district has been seen as a sea of low-rise office and warehouse buildings punctuated by a few island campuses — Cleveland State University, Cuyahoga Community College and St. Vincent Charity Hospital...

http://tinyurl.com/ltew624

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »
Okay folks, speculative retail posts and "what if?" posts about major league soccer have been removed. Let's keep the thread on topic - just a reminder, forumers are welcome to create new threads to continue tangential discussions.

Offline Confiteordeo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • It's Britney, b*tch!
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »
This project is technically just inside the Campus District's service area, although it's oriented towards the public housing that extends deeper into Central.

From this morning's "In the Campus District" email-

Care Alliance Building $10 Million Central Neighborhood Clinic

Care Alliance has started construction on a new two-story, 30,000 square foot medical building which will be focused on the delivery of clinical health care. Services will include dental, women’s health, pediatrics, family medicine, podiatry, optometry, behavioral health and a pharmacy.The project is anticipated to be completed by May 2015. It is located at the SW corner of East 30th Street and Central Avenue. The economic impact in addition to the health care provided will be 56 new jobs, reduction in inappropriate emergency room use, and reduction in the cost of medical and dental care. The project is being spearheaded by Francis Afram-Gyening, Executive Director of Care Alliance, who is a recent new board member to Campus District, Inc.

There's a link to the Care Alliance's own announcement of the project from 2012-

http://www.carealliance.org/2012/05/02/care-alliance-awarded-5-5-million-for-clevelands-public-housing-residents-to-increase-access-to-health-care/
Progress and prosperity.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2014, 08:46:30 PM »
The Care Alliance project is also noted earlier in this thread, including graphics.

Offline Confiteordeo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • It's Britney, b*tch!
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2014, 11:43:18 PM »
The Care Alliance project is also noted earlier in this thread, including graphics.

Where? I would love to see renderings.
Progress and prosperity.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2014, 12:22:15 AM »
I think they succumbed to the Great UO Crash of 2013. Oh well, they're still on the City Planning Commission website. Somewhere.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »
http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=3a103b73242a42a334298bd43&id=f16f18d448&e=07adb033c3

Public Invited to September 4th OpenHouse on East 22nd Road Rehab and Streetscape

On Thursday, September 4th the City of Cleveland, Councilwoman Phyllis Cleveland and Campus District, Inc. will host a public information open house for the East 22nd St. Street Rehabilitation and Streetscape project. The improvements will be along East 22nd from Orange Avenue to Euclid Avenue and the purpose of this meeting is to gain community input on the proposed roadway, traffic, and streescape improvements.

This $5.7 million project is being funded by the City of Cleveland and the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency (NOACA). This construction project is the result of an initial study done in 2011 with a Transportation for Livable Communities Initiative (TLCI) grant from NOACA and matching funds from Campus District, Inc. The project will include amenities for cycling and walking, planted median strips, new lighting and streetscape elements such as benches, bike racks, lighting and public art.

Bring your creative ideas!  The meeting will take place Thursday September 4th from 6:00-7:30 P.M. at Cedar Hi-Rise Community Room, 2320 East 30th Street Cleveland, OH 44115.  Pizza and drinks will be provided by Campus District.  Please RSVP by calling 216-344-9200 or my emailing Randy Bowling at randybowlingCDI@gmail.com

Offline flee2thecleve14

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2014, 10:02:27 AM »
Any updates on the 1750 Euclid Ave student housing? I have not seen evidence of demolition starting yet. Litt's article from January stated that the developer hoped to break ground Spring 2014 with the intent of opening Fall Semester 2015.

Offline simplythis

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2014, 12:49:55 PM »
Does anyone know how Dave Perkowski conversion of the Tower Press Lofts
into 39 apartments is coming along? 

Offline jjames0408

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2014, 12:56:36 PM »
You mean M.T. Silver? As I'm looking for places, I saw they had advertised some units and have pictures.

Offline simplythis

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »
You mean M.T. Silver? As I'm looking for places, I saw they had advertised some units and have pictures.

Yes that is it. Is it completed?

Offline jjames0408

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2014, 01:09:11 PM »

Yes that is it. Is it completed?
I still live in Florida, but I'm pretty sure it's done. It was supposed to be completed earlier this year.
http://2320lofts.com/
I ruled them out because they do not allow dogs.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:13:11 PM by jjames0408 »

Offline jjames0408

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2014, 09:49:26 AM »
Good news here!

"Construction is set to begin in March on the corridor from Cleveland's Main Post Office on Orange Avenue to CSU's Rhodes Tower at Euclid Avenue. The work should be done by November 2015.

While finishing details are in flux, planners have already decided on major roadway changes."

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/09/east_22nd_street_redesign_fina.html#incart_river

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2014, 12:21:55 AM »
So this must be what is holding up 1750 Euclid. I don't think we knew this.
http://cilistings.listinglab.com//1750Euclid/index.cfm?

Clayco, Inc. dba Clayco Realty Group is looking for a purchaser that will, prior to construction, commit to purchase this development upon its completion.
The offered purchase price is based on a 6.5% cap rate using the projected Year 1 NOI from the development, resulting in a purchase price of $54,650,000.
Construction is expected to begin 1st quarter 2015 at which point a firm contract to purchase the development is needed subject only to sellers obligation to construct a completed development.  Construction will be completed in 2nd quarter 2016 and the sale closing should occur not later than 90 days after the commencement of the 2016 fall semester of Cleveland State University.

live small  dream big

Offline sky

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2014, 11:03:27 AM »
Nice find.  I was wondering about the delay.

Offline JG

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2014, 07:13:37 PM »
Seems like they weren't able to get financing?  All the numbers listed were Clearwater/Tampa numbers.  I forget, is Clayco from Florida?

Remove Ads