Author Topic: Cleveland: Campus District  (Read 115852 times)

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
Cleveland: Campus District
« on: September 19, 2007, 08:45:14 AM »
As many may or may not know, Cleveland has a new-ish neighborhood formed officially several months ago. Located just east of downtown, it's known as The Art Quarter. This thread is established to provide a resource of information regarding galleries in the area, including new galleries coming to the Art Quarter, new and established artists' live/work spaces, and what is currently being done to strengthen the presence of this neighborhood in Cleveland.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:56:42 PM by I Love Lee's! »

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
Re: Cleveland: Campus District
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 08:53:46 AM »
Group gets a handle on art haunts
Renaming area underscores trend
Monday, April 16, 2007
Jesse Tinsley
Plain Dealer Reporter

A Cleveland neighborhood is gradually becoming an art district - one of those funky, vibrant enclaves of artists' studios, galleries, bistros and live-work spaces that are spreading all over the country.

A group of artists and nonprofit groups dedicated to art and culture renamed a 22-block area straddling St. Clair and Superior avenues Friday and held a benefit to raise money for banners in the neighborhood.

More at cleveland.com http://www.cleveland.com
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 07:57:21 AM by MayDay »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 09:16:43 AM »
FYI: I will have an article in tomorrow's Sun about last weekend's art installation in the Art Quarter.
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline math

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »
funkytown...honestly?! 

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:12:57 PM »
^ Yep, honestly. It was a pretty involved process to select a name. Luckily, the group has simplified the name a little in its logo, calling it just The QuARTer ... it's a nice logo (although in full disclosure, I was involved a little bit in the design concept :wink:)

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 01:57:03 PM »
I like the name.
Do you have an image of the logo, 8shades?

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 03:12:38 PM »
No, I don't, I'm afraid.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 03:42:19 PM »
Don't be afraid.
We won't laugh.... unless it is based on an ear of corn, manhole cover, or satellite imagery. :-D

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »
EAST 22ND STREET CORRIDOR / CAMPUS DISTRICT
TRANSPORTATION AND REDEVELOPMENT PLAN
AUGUST 2011 - DRAFT
CLEVELAND, OHIO

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2011/12022011/2011-08-15CampusDistrictTLCI_FINALl.pdf
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:13:03 PM by KJP »
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 09:22:21 AM »
That plan is extremely impressive, that's the city I want to live in!

Offline inlovewithCLE

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 10:19:42 AM »
I LOVE this plan

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 11:48:30 AM »
though i'm not exactly sure what the campus district, and gray's green have to do with eachother, they are about 8 blocks away planned by different entities with different organizations pushing for each one. :)
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Online Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »
^actually...is anybody currently "pushing" for Gray's Green?  Best I can tell KJP resurrected this thread after seeing it referenced on website that maybe 4-5 years old.

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »

Maybe it's time to resurrect this thread:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,11901.0.html

DONE. And not because of what I posted above, but because of what I've posted below.......

EAST 22ND STREET CORRIDOR / CAMPUS DISTRICT
TRANSPORTATION AND REDEVELOPMENT PLAN
AUGUST 2011 - DRAFT
CLEVELAND, OHIO

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2011/12022011/2011-08-15CampusDistrictTLCI_FINALl.pdf

That's a nice document.  CMHA has submitted grants for redeveloping their Old Cedar property but they've been denied the last two times.  They have aggressive plans to start redeveloping this property in 2012 & 2013 since Tri-C & CSU are expanding on either side.  I'm hearing their goal would be more of a mixed income development, similar to Tremont Point, but something that could also provide housing specific to college students, as an option to the dorms.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »
though i'm not exactly sure what the campus district, and gray's green have to do with eachother, they are about 8 blocks away planned by different entities with different organizations pushing for each one. :)

Eh, close enough. It's the southeast side of downtown. Maybe I should rephrase the title of the thread? Suggestions?

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 01:38:04 PM »
Campus district is accurate.  It's essentially focused on E.22nd corridor between Tri-C & CSU

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
I really think this should be a separate thread from greys green. different projects.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »
I was thinking along the lines of "Cleveland: Quadrangle projects"

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »
The quadrangle is dead, and now known as the campus district. I would just start a thread for the campus district, and separate out the old grays green stuff. it really is a completely separate project.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
Done

Offline Clevecane

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 08:55:04 PM »
Anyone notice the Ken Lanci bus sticker in one of the renderings?  Does that mean he's going to run again?  It's an exciting proposal, though there seem to be an awful lot of parking lots in many of those renderings.
“This region gave birth to the whole twentieth century, and now it’s being discarded.” - Richard Stuebi, Cleveland Foundation

Online Clefan98

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 08:10:23 PM »
East 22nd Street could yield big development east of downtown Cleveland, new plan says

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A wide, bleak stretch of East 22nd Street has potential as a vital, redeveloped artery that draws on the growth of

Cuyahoga Community College, St. Vincent Charity Medical Center and Cleveland State University, a new plan proposes.

The proposal from Campus District, Inc., calls for $4.2 million in road work and landscaping, aimed at better linking the three big institutions from Woodland Avenue to Euclid Avenue.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/12/east_22nd_street_could_yield_b.html

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 08:22:39 PM »
Most crime is away from East 22nd, mainly because there is nothing over there. But the public housing north of Central Avenue is a huge crime magnet. Everything from Simple Assault, Assault with knife, to Rape. Would these get rebuilt? Hopefully a new design would help reduce crime.

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 11:18:15 PM »
Actually im not sure if it would. I looked at the newer built ones, and the crime issue is still there. The single family homes north of Community College Avenue look to be working very well. Very low crime around that area. But just south at Arbor Park, crime is definitely an issue.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 07:54:58 AM »
Good plan. Cover the Innerbelt in this area would do so much for the area.

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »
For residential, the focus should be on Euclid to the Interbelt.  Only after that has filled up, should the build out head south from there.  At least that's how it would work if I was King
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 03:35:03 PM »
I saw this building under construction today and I had no idea what it was. So I looked it up on the InterWeb....

From the Ground Up: Cuyahoga Community College's
Emerging Technology and Energy Center Takes Shape

by Jason Boltz
Volume 2, Issue 1, Posted 12:02 PM, 01.03.2012

Envisioned to be the center for excellence in emerging technologies and sustainable systems, Cuyahoga Community College's Emerging Technology and Energy Center (or "ETEC" for short) will eventually contain 50,000 square feet of administrative offices, versitile lab high-bay spaces and classrooms for the Workforce and Economic Development Division at Cuyahoga Community College Metro Campus.

Designed by Braun & Steidl Architects, the building is anticipated to achieve a LEED Gold certification and will feature sustainable concepts consistent with the curriculum that will be offered within its walls.  Braun & Steidl not only participated in the site selection process for the project (ultimately recommending the location of the building at the corner of East 30th and Woodland) but was also commissioned to develop the building program, as well as assist in defining the potential curriculum, based on regional needs and emerging technology trends.

SEE CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS AND RENDERINGS AT:
http://campusdistrictobserver.com/read/2012/01/03/from-the-ground-up-cuyahoga-community-colleges-emerging-technology-and

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 03:56:30 PM »
I saw this building under construction today and I had no idea what it was. So I looked it up on the InterWeb....

From the Ground Up: Cuyahoga Community College's
Emerging Technology and Energy Center Takes Shape

by Jason Boltz
Volume 2, Issue 1, Posted 12:02 PM, 01.03.2012

Envisioned to be the center for excellence in emerging technologies and sustainable systems, Cuyahoga Community College's Emerging Technology and Energy Center (or "ETEC" for short) will eventually contain 50,000 square feet of administrative offices, versitile lab high-bay spaces and classrooms for the Workforce and Economic Development Division at Cuyahoga Community College Metro Campus.

Designed by Braun & Steidl Architects, the building is anticipated to achieve a LEED Gold certification and will feature sustainable concepts consistent with the curriculum that will be offered within its walls.  Braun & Steidl not only participated in the site selection process for the project (ultimately recommending the location of the building at the corner of East 30th and Woodland) but was also commissioned to develop the building program, as well as assist in defining the potential curriculum, based on regional needs and emerging technology trends.

SEE CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS AND RENDERINGS AT:
http://campusdistrictobserver.com/read/2012/01/03/from-the-ground-up-cuyahoga-community-colleges-emerging-technology-and

I had no idea of this project either...can anyone find a total price tag on this thing?
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 04:49:35 PM »

I had no idea of this project either...can anyone find a total price tag on this thing?

It took a lot of looking, but I found it......

http://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazonaws.com/AIA/0d3cf47d-b7ae-4075-a727-c655a7e8a53e/UploadedImages/2011%20YAA%20winners/Jack_Baumann.pdf

Cuyahoga Community College - Emerging Technologies & Energy Center - 2008
- Present
Project Manager / Project Design
The “center of excellence” for emerging technologies and sustainable systems, the
Center will be a 50,000sf, $13.4million, learning / lab facility that will feature a
building program based on regional needs for emerging technology trends. The
building program is based on the demand to train a future workforce for installation
and maintenance of technologies such as solar, wind, and fuel cells. The Center’s
labs and classrooms are set up to grow and expand as new technologies become
available as well as conform to to teaching practices. The project’s goal is for LEED
Gold Certification.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 05:02:36 PM »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »
CMHA was recently awarded a grant from HUD to do a masterplan for redeveloping their property in this area

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 12:18:32 PM »
Two recipients of NOACA TLCI planning grants have completed studies recently posted on NOACA's website. One is the East 22nd Street Corridor/Campus District Transportation and Redevelopment Plan proposes transportation improvements in the area between the Cleveland State University and Tri-C Metro campuses that encourage bicycling and walkability, improve land use, and stimulate economic development. The other is Lakewood's Birdtown plan (see the Lakewood thread).

East 22nd Street Corridor / Campus District Transportation and Redevelopment Plan (8.08 MB - August 2011):
http://www.noaca.org/campusdistrict.pdf

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 01:21:37 PM »
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2013/crr07-15-2013.pdf

9:30 Ward 8
Calendar No. 13-117: 2320 Superior Avenue Jeffrey Johnson
5 Notices

2320 Superior LLC, owner, appeal to establish use as a multi-unit apartment building an existing
three-story structure, located on a 139.60’ x 175.92’ corner parcel in a C4 Semi-Industry District;
and subject to the provisions under Section 349.15(c), bicycle parking facilities shall be provided
at a rate of one (1) bicycle parking space for each twenty (20) automobiles provided; and in a
“C” area district, the maximum gross floor area shall not exceed one-half of the lot area and
57,000 square feet is proposed contrary to 12,840 that is allowed according to Section 355.04 in
the Cleveland Codified Ordinances. (Filed 6-14-13)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »
Demolition of CMHA's old Cedar Estates, 2617 Central Ave, is well underway. I know this filing with the city Planning Commission was posted here before the Great UO Crash of 2013, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go back through old dockets to find it again. So if anyone can remember what CMHA is building here, please share.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/01/cmha_awarded_17_million_to_upg.html

http://www.campusdistrictobserver.com/read/2013/07/29/central-choice-neighborhood-update

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:49:52 AM by KJP »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 01:08:07 PM »
Demolition of CMHA's old Cedar Estates, 2617 Central Ave, is well underway. I know this filing with the city Planning Commission was posted here before the Great UO Crash of 2013, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go back through old dockets to find it again. So if anyone can remember what CMHA is building here, please share.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/01/cmha_awarded_17_million_to_upg.html

http://www.campusdistrictobserver.com/read/2013/07/29/central-choice-neighborhood-update

Their original Master Plan RFQ stated they wanted to "...reduce the density and renovate existing buildings or construct new dwelling units".

City Architecture was awarded the study. I'm not sure of the outcome, but I think it's on their website. They use a crappy flash site so you can't like directly to the page.
http://cityarch.com/  go to Portfolio / Urban Design

There is a project for Campus District / E.22nd Plan and also one for Tri-C Metro Campus Public Space.

Remove Ads