Author Topic: Favorite Music At The Moment?  (Read 222445 times)

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Obtaining Glory on UrbanOhio since 2008.
    • UrbanCincy
Re: Favorite Music At The Moment?
« Reply #1435 on: June 09, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »
Music from any era is mixed and mastered for listening in the type of environments that are most common for that era. So much listening now happens in cars or via earbuds that music has to be mastered to sound good on bad speakers. That's why everything keeps getting mastered "louder" over time. If you're in your car and try to listen to some old album from the 60s that hasn't been remastered to be louder, you would barely be able to hear it over the road noise, no matter how much you turned up the volume.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1436 on: July 08, 2017, 12:06:29 PM »
Louis Armstrong always claimed July 4th was his birthday, but it was really August 4th. But every day is a good day to hear his music

Online E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1437 on: July 09, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »

These days, unlike say the '80s, music isn't nearly as much about teaming up with your buddies to get hammered and slay poon. Of course we all know that but that really was the prime directive with so many of the '80s bands that didn't mostly write songs about the apocalypse and Satan.

Which is why Steel Panther has been successful.  You can get away with doing hilariously dirty and un-PC songs as half parody/half tribute as long as the original material had a lot of that going on.   
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1438 on: July 09, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »
Yeah, nobody else could get away with that now. If a young popular band did that stuff the internet would go nuts.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1439 on: July 12, 2017, 01:24:09 AM »
The price was right and last weekend I went to see a free concert by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones in of all places Ft. Thomas, KY.  i had not seen this band live since 1996.  That was the year before they broke on the radio and MTV. 

What's funny is that back then the entire audience was between about 17 and 24 years old.  Now everyone is either way older or younger than that. 

This guy is still going:

Oh how the mighty have fallen:

This band put out a ton of material before it became famous in 1997.  Like 5 full albums, numerous EP's, and one-off singles.  You can put together a mix of 7-8 songs from that era that still hold up and wouldn't empty out a party today, but unfortunately none of those really became well-known then and the band isn't playing them now. 

Not my video...but here they are playing one of the ones from 1992~ they could be playing in a Chipotle or Whole Foods near you:

And here is that song everyone hates, but the only video I saw from the hilltop which shows how great this venue could be if Ft. Thomas could ever be convinced to permit larger shows on the regular, but dream on.  It's sort of like the Seasongood Pavillion in Eden Park:
&t=11s

Online E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1440 on: July 12, 2017, 06:02:02 AM »
Yeah, nobody else could get away with that now. If a young popular band did that stuff the internet would go nuts.

Unless they were a hip hop group of course.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Obtaining Glory on UrbanOhio since 2008.
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1441 on: July 16, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »
I've had this funk song from 1975 stuck in my head for a few days. Keep listening, and towards the middle of the song, you will hear a hook that got sampled in a popular late 90's rap song...

Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Online E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1442 on: July 16, 2017, 03:32:46 PM »
I've had this funk song from 1975 stuck in my head for a few days. Keep listening, and towards the middle of the song, you will hear a hook that got sampled in a popular late 90's rap song...

Kind of a slim connection.   Shady, really.....

When I get a mid 70s soul song stuck between my ears, it's usually this one.   IMNSHO it's the "shark song" for smooth soul, the peak of evolution.

- P. J. O'Rourke

Online E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
- P. J. O'Rourke

Remove Ads