Author Topic: Favorite Music At The Moment?  (Read 217127 times)

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
Re: Favorite Music At The Moment?
« Reply #1365 on: February 16, 2017, 08:51:49 AM »
The Beatles started out as the Backstreet Boys and ended as Black Sabbath. I don't think that's happened again.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1366 on: February 16, 2017, 01:12:49 PM »
I don't see how anyone can claim The Beatles are overrated whether you like them or not. Not only did they go through a complete transformation of their sound in a very short amount of time, they are also responsible for so many innovations in recorded music. They were the first band that actually utilized the recording studio as a tool, rather than just performing their songs live in the studio. They pioneered so many new effects like flanger and chorus that you now hear in every recorded album. They were the first to print song lyrics in their albums. The list goes on and on. If anything, I think the Beatles are underrated because I don't think most people know how much they changed about how music was recorded and distributed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:13:11 PM by taestell »
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #1367 on: February 16, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »
^I agree, but I also think it's possible to not like their music. Some people build them up as infallible, but they had some real duds, too. They definitely contributed more to modern music than almost any other individual/group.
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.”

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1368 on: February 16, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
^no, the Beatles are not overrated!! okay?

legendary New York jazz pianist and singer Barbara Carroll--who was performing as late as last December (with a new album release!) dies at 92

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #1369 on: February 16, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »
2017 is the 10-year anniversary of the last White Stripes album, Icky Thump.  Perhaps the last real rock & roll band with any mystique and in 20 years Jack White might be the last rock guy still drawing a decent crowd. That album was all over the place but had fresh moments that were 100x better than pretty much that has happened since:

In 2007 the White Stripes were pretty damn big so it's impressive that they put out a record this sloppy and obnoxious. 

except they disintigrated, but thats ok because the west coast jack white, ty segall, is carrying on just fine. in fact better than ever. every time i see him that bar is raised. every time i saw stripes/jack white the bar disappointingly lowered.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1370 on: February 16, 2017, 02:46:13 PM »
^I agree, but I also think it's possible to not like their music. Some people build them up as infallible, but they had some real duds, too. They definitely contributed more to modern music than almost any other individual/group.

Right. Given the chance I'd almost always choose Stones, Chuck Berry, Hollies, Who, Beach Boys Byrds and others from the era instead of the Beatles. Beatles harmonies in particular can be grating on my ears. I personally feel the same way that Robert Plant should just shut up instead of screaming "Oooohhhhhh" at every chance he gets. I'm still not gonna say Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin or the Beatles weren't tremendous contributors to music. They're both amazing.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:47:13 PM by surfohio »

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1371 on: February 16, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »

Right. Given the chance I'd almost always choose Stones, Chuck Berry, Hollies, Who, Beach Boys Byrds and others from the era instead of the Beatles. Beatles harmonies in particular can be grating on my ears. I personally feel the same way that Robert Plant should just shut up instead of screaming "Oooohhhhhh" at every chance he gets. I'm still not gonna say Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin or the Beatles weren't tremendous contributors to music. They're both amazing.

absolutely ditto to all that. god the beatles voices are like nails on a chalkboard. sort of the same, although to a lesser extent, for the more over the top of the led zep robert plant vocals.

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #1372 on: February 16, 2017, 11:00:47 PM »
There's so many albums coming out this year from some of my favorite artists. Ed Sheeran, Eminem, John Mayer, The Shins, Lupe Fiasco, etc. etc. A lot of big artists are coming out with albums soon. Pretty exciting time. Thank God. The Trump era has been bringing me down.

John Mayer is releasing his album (42 songs) in 4 song waves every month (no doubt so that he can sustain a spot on billboard since he has to know by now that his popularity is waning) but from what I've heard so far, it's actually pretty good. I didn't like the new direction he took with country / folk music after he moved to Montana and turned into a wanna-be Neil Young. His Blues cd "TRY!" with Pino Paladino and Steve Jordan is what really made me a fan and it seems as though he's going back to Blues,Jazz, R&B and working with them more.

Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #1373 on: February 16, 2017, 11:06:01 PM »
I think I actually speak for a lot of UO members when I say that I wish Trump would respond to Eminem on Twitter in hopes that a whole mixtape would be released from him, dedicated to Trump. When I heard Eminem say, "Trumps a b!tch, I'll make his whole brand go under." I really wish he would have elaborated. Unfortunately, I think even Trump is aware that Eminem slays anyone in his path and that it would be in his best interest to pretend like he never knew about this or Eminem's "Campaign Speech."

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:06:59 PM by David »
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline dkrank

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #1374 on: February 17, 2017, 10:29:15 AM »
Don't judge me, but I've been stuck in an early 2000's alt rock phase for some time. I've listened to bands like the Wonder Years, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Joyce Manor, Rise Against, A Day To Remember, etc. Does anyone have more modern rock bands they've enjoyed recently?

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1375 on: February 17, 2017, 01:48:26 PM »
Don't judge me, but I've been stuck in an early 2000's alt rock phase for some time. I've listened to bands like the Wonder Years, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Joyce Manor, Rise Against, A Day To Remember, etc. Does anyone have more modern rock bands they've enjoyed recently?

I recently grabbed a last minute Promise Ring cd for a dollar before a cross country road trip. Enjoyed it!

My cooler friends listened to them and others like LeTigre, Mountain Goats and Get Up Kids. But I must have been elsewhere, musically speaking.

There's a lot of alt-rock music I missed in early 00's, made apparent by the fact I don't know any of the bands you've listed haha. 

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1376 on: February 17, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »

I recently grabbed a last minute Promise Ring cd for a dollar before a cross country road trip. Enjoyed it!

My cooler friends listened to them and others like LeTigre, Mountain Goats and Get Up Kids. But I must have been elsewhere, musically speaking.

There's a lot of alt-rock music I missed in early 00's, made apparent by the fact I don't know any of the bands you've listed haha. 

I saw the Get-Up Kids before they were famous.  I went to the same school as their bass player Jim Suptic and saw them play in a coffee shop in the fall of 1996. Here is what he (and the rest of the band, who all dressed like grandpas) looked like then: http://kcomposite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/20110729-013831.jpg 

I thought they were god-awful.  I didn't realize then that I was witnessing the birth of emo/screamo.  I now work with a guy in a screamo band and have had to go see them 2-3 times.  20 years have gone by and it's still crap.   

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1377 on: February 17, 2017, 04:44:59 PM »

I saw the Get-Up Kids before they were famous.  I went to the same school as their bass player Jim Suptic and saw them play in a coffee shop in the fall of 1996. Here is what he (and the rest of the band, who all dressed like grandpas) looked like then: http://kcomposite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/20110729-013831.jpg 

I thought they were god-awful.  I didn't realize then that I was witnessing the birth of emo/screamo.  I now work with a guy in a screamo band and have had to go see them 2-3 times.  20 years have gone by and it's still crap.   

Ugh...screamo.

The musical expression of suburban angst, what could possibly be worse.

Even worse than West Coast "mall" punk.

"My mom didn't pick me up, and I'm so bummed out. Gonna give the finger to my teacher. Gonna start a revolution...."

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1378 on: February 17, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »
Emo/Screamo seems to be the province of white people with absolutely zero affinity for the blues.  Like, you could crank the hardest James Brown thing over a 100,000 watt sound system and they'd just space out and maybe think about crossword puzzles or something. 

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1379 on: February 17, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
G.G. Allin pisses on them

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1380 on: March 27, 2017, 03:34:28 AM »
Praise The Lord:

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1381 on: April 15, 2017, 12:27:53 PM »
I re-listened to all of the White Stripes albums this month for the first time in about seven or eight years.  I was prepared to declare this to be= their single best song:

...until I made the mistake of looking it up online and seeing that it's a cover!

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1382 on: April 15, 2017, 06:29:01 PM »
I think the White Stripes record with the most distinctive sound is White Blood Cells. Their earlier albums featured a lot of old blues covers as well as originals that sound like old blues songs. And after White Blood Cells, they went back in that direction again. I don't think Jack White accomplished such a unique sound again until he came out with his latest solo album, Lazaretto — the title track is so distinctly him.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1383 on: April 16, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »

Ugh...screamo.

The musical expression of suburban angst, what could possibly be worse.

Even worse than West Coast "mall" punk.

"My mom didn't pick me up, and I'm so bummed out. Gonna give the finger to my teacher. Gonna start a revolution...."

Ah, the musical equivalent of "antifa".  :)
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1384 on: April 16, 2017, 11:09:04 AM »

...until I made the mistake of looking it up online and seeing that it's a cover!

Dusty's actually historically underrated in the US, though certainly not in the UK.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1385 on: April 16, 2017, 11:57:14 AM »

Dusty's actually historically underrated in the US, though certainly not in the UK.

According to Wikipedia her version of the song (of course, not even written by her, and apparently the second or third version to be recorded) hit #3 in the UK in 1964 but did not even chart in the United Sates.  It appears that most of the young adults in this crowd in England know the song like how American kids know Neil Diamond songs:

Plus, it is amazing to see and hear just how bad Jack White's technique is on guitar.  I think he's holding the neck with his thumb in a really dumb way that slows him down.  Plus, he totally botches a chord in the outro of that live version in the way you'd hear somebody botch something who has only been playing for six months. 

Also, Meg White's position on the drum stool is the root of a lot of her problems.  She's sitting so high on the thing she's constantly having to put weight on her heals to avoid slipping off the thing.  Although I was friends with a girl who played drums who looked like a Jewish Meg White who was probably the same height and similarly looked like she was about to slip off the stool and into the drums.  Also was not very good technically, but unfortunately did not have a spirited sound like the sometimes-celebrated White. 

One thing you never hear Meg White do is play on a closed hi-hat.  It's like she doesn't even know what to do with the thing and I don't think even hits the pedal.  There's no doubt that if you subtract the hi-hat from a drum set it opens everything up.  There are actually a number of female drummers who have done this, most notably Mo Tucker of the Velvet Underground and less well-known but as significantly "Christine Dollrod" of Detroit's Demolition Dollrods. 

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1386 on: April 16, 2017, 12:06:15 PM »

she's only underrated by people whose musical vocabulary starts only in the 90's :wink:

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1387 on: April 16, 2017, 12:38:27 PM »

she's only underrated by people whose musical vocabulary starts only in the 90's :wink:

LOL, by Americans she is.   Even with older memories.   Many people who recall the "Bay City Rollers" probably think that's their song there.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1388 on: April 18, 2017, 08:06:42 AM »
Here was the highlight from last Sunday's rebroadcast of "Casey's Top 40 from the 80s":

&feature=youtu.be

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1389 on: April 18, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
^Kasem was the voice of Teletraan-1, the Autobots' computer. I like the idea of that being used to try and teach the rural-personality Autobots such as Ironhide and Bumblebee to rap. Then Blaster busts in and does it for real.

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #1390 on: April 18, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »

2017 is the 10-year anniversary of the last White Stripes album, Icky Thump.  Perhaps the last real rock & roll band with any mystique and in 20 years Jack White might be the last rock guy still drawing a decent crowd. That album was all over the place but had fresh moments that were 100x better than pretty much that has happened since:

In 2007 the White Stripes were pretty damn big so it's impressive that they put out a record this sloppy and obnoxious. 

That track is horrible!  Dear God... their music is so hit or miss!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:17:07 PM by David »

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1391 on: April 18, 2017, 07:31:50 PM »
That track is horrible!  Dear God... their music is so hit or miss!

I'm glad you liked it.  Unfortunately a lot of "good" guitar players are afraid to play a sloppy slide guitar which is something Mr. White quite obviously relishes in doing.

Also, the layout of that song jumps over to a bridge-type space at various points which gives it a weird swirling effect and makes it hard to predict how it's going to land back on the root.  One of the tough things about slide guitar in open tunings is that its clichés become obvious pretty much the first time you attempt it so it's pretty tough to keep things interesting for more than one song or even within a single one. 

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1392 on: April 18, 2017, 08:35:26 PM »
One thing you can do to make it less banal is to play fingerstyle on the unwound strings while adding a finger back 2-3 frets up from the slide on your fretting hand. That way it doesn't sound like Keith Richards in open-G, wasted, just screwing around live.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1393 on: April 18, 2017, 10:17:20 PM »
One thing you can do to make it less banal is to play fingerstyle on the unwound strings while adding a finger back 2-3 frets up from the slide on your fretting hand. That way it doesn't sound like Keith Richards in open-G, wasted, just screwing around live.

Yeah I don't get why Keith Richards can't pay full attention to the task at hand while playing in front of 60,000 people.  Instead he likes to make funny eye contact with Ron Wood.  That said, you can't really lead a band with the Keith Richards tuning for an entire set without another guitarist playing a standard-tuned guitar.  A standard-tuned guitar doesn't fatigue an audience the way any sort of unusual guitar setup does -- any sort of unusual or open tuning, Drop D, a resonator guitar, slide, etc.  A standard-tuned guitar is as versatile as all of the other guitar setups combined.  Plus you can play a slide on standard tuning, of course.  You only get the A shape and the D7, but you can do a lot with that. 

The Black Crowes didn't bother trying to hide their Stones rip-off in the least.  They had the Keith tuning going, plus the entire band dressed like Keith Richards.  It was like a band comprised of 5 guys dressed like Slash. 

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1394 on: April 28, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »
how did I miss Ella Fitzgerald's 100th birthday on Tuesday? :| (she died at 79, and glad to have had the fortune to hear her in 1983)

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1395 on: May 01, 2017, 01:23:56 PM »
The Afghan Whigs have announced tour dates for 2017, including Thursday Sept 28 at Bogart's:
http://www.citybeat.com/music/music-feature/article/20859894/the-afghan-whigs-announce-cincinnati-show-at-bogarts-this-fall

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1396 on: May 07, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »

What should be the official song of the Kentucky Derby:

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1397 on: May 13, 2017, 12:12:06 PM »
somebody found video of most of a show of the cure's first club tour of the usa:

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1398 on: May 13, 2017, 02:35:46 PM »
Ha.  They sort of look and sound like the English Beat or any of those other English acts from that time, but obviously the whole thing is much more of a downer! 

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1399 on: May 13, 2017, 02:45:49 PM »
It's funny, last night I was thinking about the great 80's alt bands, the Cure in particular. I loved that era. Yet one thing they all seem to have in common was a lack of progression. Contrast to seminal 60's bands like the Who, Beach Boys, Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc. who experienced major musical evolution and radical departure from their roots. I would add The Cure and Morrissey firmly in the camp of artists that evolved very little - if at all. Even REM with their longstanding success, I feel their evolution was more in production values than anything else.   

Remove Ads