Author Topic: Favorite Music At The Moment?  (Read 211635 times)

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
Re: Favorite Music At The Moment?
« Reply #1365 on: February 16, 2017, 08:51:49 AM »
The Beatles started out as the Backstreet Boys and ended as Black Sabbath. I don't think that's happened again.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1366 on: February 16, 2017, 01:12:49 PM »
I don't see how anyone can claim The Beatles are overrated whether you like them or not. Not only did they go through a complete transformation of their sound in a very short amount of time, they are also responsible for so many innovations in recorded music. They were the first band that actually utilized the recording studio as a tool, rather than just performing their songs live in the studio. They pioneered so many new effects like flanger and chorus that you now hear in every recorded album. They were the first to print song lyrics in their albums. The list goes on and on. If anything, I think the Beatles are underrated because I don't think most people know how much they changed about how music was recorded and distributed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:13:11 PM by taestell »
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #1367 on: February 16, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »
^I agree, but I also think it's possible to not like their music. Some people build them up as infallible, but they had some real duds, too. They definitely contributed more to modern music than almost any other individual/group.
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1368 on: February 16, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
^no, the Beatles are not overrated!! okay?

legendary New York jazz pianist and singer Barbara Carroll--who was performing as late as last December (with a new album release!) dies at 92

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #1369 on: February 16, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »
2017 is the 10-year anniversary of the last White Stripes album, Icky Thump.  Perhaps the last real rock & roll band with any mystique and in 20 years Jack White might be the last rock guy still drawing a decent crowd. That album was all over the place but had fresh moments that were 100x better than pretty much that has happened since:

In 2007 the White Stripes were pretty damn big so it's impressive that they put out a record this sloppy and obnoxious. 

except they disintigrated, but thats ok because the west coast jack white, ty segall, is carrying on just fine. in fact better than ever. every time i see him that bar is raised. every time i saw stripes/jack white the bar disappointingly lowered.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1370 on: February 16, 2017, 02:46:13 PM »
^I agree, but I also think it's possible to not like their music. Some people build them up as infallible, but they had some real duds, too. They definitely contributed more to modern music than almost any other individual/group.

Right. Given the chance I'd almost always choose Stones, Chuck Berry, Hollies, Who, Beach Boys Byrds and others from the era instead of the Beatles. Beatles harmonies in particular can be grating on my ears. I personally feel the same way that Robert Plant should just shut up instead of screaming "Oooohhhhhh" at every chance he gets. I'm still not gonna say Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin or the Beatles weren't tremendous contributors to music. They're both amazing.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:47:13 PM by surfohio »

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #1371 on: February 16, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »

Right. Given the chance I'd almost always choose Stones, Chuck Berry, Hollies, Who, Beach Boys Byrds and others from the era instead of the Beatles. Beatles harmonies in particular can be grating on my ears. I personally feel the same way that Robert Plant should just shut up instead of screaming "Oooohhhhhh" at every chance he gets. I'm still not gonna say Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin or the Beatles weren't tremendous contributors to music. They're both amazing.

absolutely ditto to all that. god the beatles voices are like nails on a chalkboard. sort of the same, although to a lesser extent, for the more over the top of the led zep robert plant vocals.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Online David

• Premium Member
« Reply #1372 on: February 16, 2017, 11:00:47 PM »
There's so many albums coming out this year from some of my favorite artists. Ed Sheeran, Eminem, John Mayer, The Shins, Lupe Fiasco, etc. etc. A lot of big artists are coming out with albums soon. Pretty exciting time. Thank God. The Trump era has been bringing me down.

John Mayer is releasing his album (42 songs) in 4 song waves every month (no doubt so that he can sustain a spot on billboard since he has to know by now that his popularity is waning) but from what I've heard so far, it's actually pretty good. I didn't like the new direction he took with country / folk music after he moved to Montana and turned into a wanna-be Neil Young. His Blues cd "TRY!" with Pino Paladino and Steve Jordan is what really made me a fan and it seems as though he's going back to Blues,Jazz, R&B and working with them more.

Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Online David

• Premium Member
« Reply #1373 on: February 16, 2017, 11:06:01 PM »
I think I actually speak for a lot of UO members when I say that I wish Trump would respond to Eminem on Twitter in hopes that a whole mixtape would be released from him, dedicated to Trump. When I heard Eminem say, "Trumps a b!tch, I'll make his whole brand go under." I really wish he would have elaborated. Unfortunately, I think even Trump is aware that Eminem slays anyone in his path and that it would be in his best interest to pretend like he never knew about this or Eminem's "Campaign Speech."

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:06:59 PM by David »
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline dkrank

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #1374 on: February 17, 2017, 10:29:15 AM »
Don't judge me, but I've been stuck in an early 2000's alt rock phase for some time. I've listened to bands like the Wonder Years, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Joyce Manor, Rise Against, A Day To Remember, etc. Does anyone have more modern rock bands they've enjoyed recently?

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1375 on: February 17, 2017, 01:48:26 PM »
Don't judge me, but I've been stuck in an early 2000's alt rock phase for some time. I've listened to bands like the Wonder Years, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Joyce Manor, Rise Against, A Day To Remember, etc. Does anyone have more modern rock bands they've enjoyed recently?

I recently grabbed a last minute Promise Ring cd for a dollar before a cross country road trip. Enjoyed it!

My cooler friends listened to them and others like LeTigre, Mountain Goats and Get Up Kids. But I must have been elsewhere, musically speaking.

There's a lot of alt-rock music I missed in early 00's, made apparent by the fact I don't know any of the bands you've listed haha. 

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1376 on: February 17, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »

I recently grabbed a last minute Promise Ring cd for a dollar before a cross country road trip. Enjoyed it!

My cooler friends listened to them and others like LeTigre, Mountain Goats and Get Up Kids. But I must have been elsewhere, musically speaking.

There's a lot of alt-rock music I missed in early 00's, made apparent by the fact I don't know any of the bands you've listed haha. 

I saw the Get-Up Kids before they were famous.  I went to the same school as their bass player Jim Suptic and saw them play in a coffee shop in the fall of 1996. Here is what he (and the rest of the band, who all dressed like grandpas) looked like then: http://kcomposite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/20110729-013831.jpg 

I thought they were god-awful.  I didn't realize then that I was witnessing the birth of emo/screamo.  I now work with a guy in a screamo band and have had to go see them 2-3 times.  20 years have gone by and it's still crap.   

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1377 on: February 17, 2017, 04:44:59 PM »

I saw the Get-Up Kids before they were famous.  I went to the same school as their bass player Jim Suptic and saw them play in a coffee shop in the fall of 1996. Here is what he (and the rest of the band, who all dressed like grandpas) looked like then: http://kcomposite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/20110729-013831.jpg 

I thought they were god-awful.  I didn't realize then that I was witnessing the birth of emo/screamo.  I now work with a guy in a screamo band and have had to go see them 2-3 times.  20 years have gone by and it's still crap.   

Ugh...screamo.

The musical expression of suburban angst, what could possibly be worse.

Even worse than West Coast "mall" punk.

"My mom didn't pick me up, and I'm so bummed out. Gonna give the finger to my teacher. Gonna start a revolution...."

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1378 on: February 17, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »
Emo/Screamo seems to be the province of white people with absolutely zero affinity for the blues.  Like, you could crank the hardest James Brown thing over a 100,000 watt sound system and they'd just space out and maybe think about crossword puzzles or something. 

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1379 on: February 17, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
G.G. Allin pisses on them

Remove Ads