Author Topic: Cleveland: University Circle: Uptown (UARD)  (Read 406971 times)

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleveland: Uptown (UARD) in University Circle
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2006, 07:44:30 AM »
I'll post the story later. Bad news. The Chicago developer has pulled out of the UARD. Maron is still at the table, but I'm not sure if they want to go at it alone.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2006, 10:29:40 AM »
WTF?!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2006, 08:40:52 AM »
re: Triangle Project

The partner who pulled out was the financier. :(

However, I've heard that "the development will happen."  --I'll try to figure out what that means.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2006, 01:16:49 PM »
Developer quits Case project
Chicago firm cites 'adverse market influences'; Cleveland's MRN remains
Saturday, August 05, 2006
Steven Litt
Plain Dealer Architecture Critic
Case Western Reserve University's dream of creating a vibrant arts and retail district in University Circle suffered a setback this week when a Chicago developer withdrew from negotiations over the project.

Mesirow Financial Real Estate of Chicago, which had formed a partnership with MRN Ltd. of Cleveland to win the development assignment from Case, cited "adverse market influences" in its decision to withdraw, said Russell Berusch, Case's vice president for commercial development.

More at cleveland.com http://www.cleveland.com
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:07:55 AM by MayDay »

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2006, 01:21:53 PM »
Adverse market conditions?  F- that... every market study I've seen, dating back to the 70s, has shown winning market conditions.  Still, it's 2006 and it's all still "on paper."

I'll keep my ear out for more as well...

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2006, 09:10:26 PM »
Not good.  Hopefully given MRN's track record, they can get it done; but something's not right here.  Why would Stark -- who certainly knows a good thing when he sees it -- and now Mesirow pull out?  Could it be the horrible mess the University is in right now, what with the firing of Pres. Hundert and the recent resignation of a large chunk of the Weatherhead faculty -- maybe that's it.  I recently spoke with an associate who's in Case's arts & sciences college.  He says morale @ CWRU is the pits right now and he's sending out resumes...

And what about the E.120 Rapid station?  When are they (RTA, Little Italy) going to stop talking and start building?  You'd like to think that the racial element is no longer motivating foot-dragging (as in Little Italy doesn't want a bunch of E. Cleveland blacks hopping off the Rapid in their neighborhood), so what's the problem?  A parking garage was mentioned before as a sticking point, but why?  I don't see why there should even be parking at this station; it's a traditional urban rapid transit site in a fairly dense residential/commercial area -- whose riders will be walk ups and bus transfers (assuming the #9 Mayfield is routed there).  Really, with the growth along Euclid with the new Case dorms, Little Italy is less a factor than before, and RTA could up the traffic count from around 100 people to in the thousands by simply building new station at or just adjacent to the current site?

So what's up with U.C.?  With the fancy-shmancy Art Museum addition underway and last year's Botanical Garden addition, the recently refurbished Severance Hall, U. Circle should be the happening spot (it's still an awesome cultural center despite its residential and retail stagnation)... but like seemingly everything else in this town, there always a major hitch...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 11:33:03 PM by clvlndr »

Offline CtownD

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2006, 09:41:35 PM »
While it's disappointing to hear of the temporary setback I hope that it won't be construed as a negative sign of the overall health of UC.  Between all of the employees at UH and Case within two blocks of the site, coupled with the student and neighboring residential population the site would seem to be quite appealing.  That said, it'll be interesting to see what MRN proposes, as the bulk of what they've done has involved adaptive reuse.

Re:Stark; While I am by no means 'in the know' about the full rationale for Stark withdrawing his proposal I think he has a pretty full plate at the time with previously proposed projects such as Pesht, other phases at Crocker, and Van Aken-Warrensville.  I guess I'd rather that those projects move forward (well, at least the first and last) than to have him end up stretched thin and end up having to cut back on his proposals.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 09:42:19 PM by CtownD »

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2006, 11:34:56 PM »
Re:Stark; While I am by no means 'in the know' about the full rationale for Stark withdrawing his proposal I think he has a pretty full plate at the time with previously proposed projects such as Pesht, other phases at Crocker, and Van Aken-Warrensville.  I guess I'd rather that those projects move forward (well, at least the first and last) than to have him end up stretched thin and end up having to cut back on his proposals.

Fair points.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2006, 08:42:51 AM »
^Those factors are likely true of Stark's situation, but I think he was also pressing for a broadened footprint for the project, which would have included demo-ing more existing buildings (such as the old Commodore Hotel) than Case or UCI wanted.  He probably met with opposition, realized he couldn't do things his way, and decided to let it go.  I'm sure he's still paying attention, though!

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2006, 10:47:28 PM »
^Those factors are likely true of Stark's situation, but I think he was also pressing for a broadened footprint for the project, which would have included demo-ing more existing buildings (such as the old Commodore Hotel) than Case or UCI wanted.  He probably met with opposition, realized he couldn't do things his way, and decided to let it go.  I'm sure he's still paying attention, though!

No frigginí way should Stark, or anybody, even think about demolishing the Commodore Hotel.  Itís an architectural gem and frames the intersection, along with the recently rehabbed, and lively, University East plaza across the street.  Once the Commodoreís street-level shops are rehabbed, it will work perfectly for what the neighborhood needs: a high-density, pedestrian building.  I wish somehow we could relocate the seniors who dominate this facility (to a new building elsewhere) so we can pump new life into the area.

I like that Bob Stark is aggressive, but he talks a bit wild sometimes.  His bold, bodacious ideas for Cleveland often comes with judicious use of the wrecking ball.  In an interview last year about his ideas for downtown, he talked of leveling half the buildings down there including, if Iím not mistaken, in the Warehouse District.  While we certainly need growth, we have too many historic treasures that no one, regardless of how fresh and rich they may be, should be allowed to lay to waste.  Stark is good, but he must be held in check.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 09:41:30 AM »
I heard some potentially bad news regarding the Triangle. Russell Berush, the CWRU lead on the project, has resigned. I don't know anything else about the situation.

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2006, 07:50:33 PM »
I hope this isn't a crippling development.  If memory serves, didn't MRN, Ltd recently pull out of this project? (I see MRN noted as partner in the above 11/08 article, but I could have sworn they'd dropped out-- sure hope I'm wrong)   Whatever his other faults, I began to feel queasy about the pace and ultimate success of Triangle after CWRU's President Hundert was fired last year -- he was the driver of the massive rehab and expansion of Case's campus that has pumped considerable life South Campus and what retail currently exists both on Euclid as well as the Juniper-Ford-Belflower block on campus... While I'm glad the other UC renovations/expansions, like Park Lane Villa, the Art Museum along with the recent CWRU and Botanical gardens expansions, the Triangle is the core project at the center of what could, and should be a great youth-oriented campus-town/retail district fed by transit; an area that would convert UC from disjointed and relatively lifeless (albeit beautiful) conglomeration high powered intellectual, cultural and health institutions ... It's frustrating in this town, sometimes.  Just as with legal mess surrounding Wolstein's project in Flats East Bank, and Bob Stark's Pesht, it always seems so difficult to move forward with the key developments that could have the greatest positive impact.  So we're stuck with nibbling around the edges.  Ugh!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 08:02:05 PM by clvlndr »

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2006, 08:43:48 PM »
From my understanding, Hundert was more of a divider than a driver.  He wasn't known for his cross-institutional collaboration and didn't get along well with some of the other primary players in the neighborhood (let alone in his own university). 

Retail and renovations on Euclid at Ford/Mayfield can be credited to hard work by UCI, who owns both the Circle East and Circle Place (Commodore) buildings.  Circle Place is about to undergo some significant rehab work and they're marketing the hell out of those vacant spaces. 

Places like Bellflower Court could be even more wonderful if individuals (like Hundert) were a little more open to things happening organically.  And maybe Case would have a little more money to work with on these next big projects if they didn't waaaaay overspend on some of the ones that Hundert oversaw (Village @ 115, Peter B. Lewis).

These are my opinions, based on my limited experience, so anyone who wants to chime in, feel free to do so!

Also, MRN is still the lead developer in the Triangle/Beach development.  Their partner from Chicago dropped out several months ago.  Zaremba has been the other name thrown around as a new partner.

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2006, 03:40:48 PM »
Also, MRN is still the lead developer in the Triangle/Beach development.  Their partner from Chicago dropped out several months ago.  Zaremba has been the other name thrown around as a new partner.

That's right; glad MRN's still in charge.

From my understanding, Hundert was more of a divider than a driver.  He wasn't known for his cross-institutional collaboration and didn't get along well with some of the other primary players in the neighborhood (let alone in his own university). 

I'm not certain of all this.  Maybe Hundert rubbed some of Case's neighbor's feathers the wrong, but someone had to shake up CWRU's developmental stagnation, from all indicators, he was the guy... His biggest failure was w/ his faculty who, in light of budget cuts and layoffs -- esp in Weatherhead -- they felt he was too much a cold bricks 'n mortar guy... so they punished him w/ the now infamous vote of 'no confidence' which led to his ouster.  Maybe Case's plan isn't perfect (PD's Steve Litt despised the retro-Gothic dorms), but I think campus, particularly North campus, is significantly better off after the Hundert initiative... I just hope the progress carries through and Case can rise from the dolldrums to become a campus-town more comparable to Pittsburgh's Oakland, Chicago's Hyde Park or Philly's University City.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2006, 03:08:10 PM »
Good to hear that they are talking to the press about this. Now let's hurry up and get this thing underway.

Developers plan Cleveland "college town"

3:40 p.m.

Two developers making their mark in Cleveland's core are ready to tackle the much-anticipated "college town" development in University Circle.

A joint venture of developers Nathan Zaremba and MRN Ltd. has signed a letter of intent with Case Western Reserve University to pursue the $120 million mix of arts, retail and dwellings.

It's planned for about 8 acres north and south of Euclid Avenue, east of the Ford Drive/Mayfield Road intersection.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:08:36 AM by MayDay »

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2006, 08:34:37 PM »
Since when is this called "college town?"

All kidding aside, I'm glad this is in ink.  Two proven local developers, plus all the institutional partners involved in this project should make it happen!

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2006, 01:04:34 PM »
This will include the infamous "Beach" at Ford and Euclid, right?

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2006, 01:05:15 PM »
yep. the beach and the triangle.

Offline the pope

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • World Class Signage
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2006, 01:29:38 PM »
and hessler residents get out their "petition-signing-pens"

or PSPs for short.

Offline From Heights to Harlem

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2006, 10:07:10 AM »

I haven't lived in Cleveland for 18 years, so sorry to ask a dumb/or repeated question, but I'm trying to get my bearings.  This is the area at the corner of Mayfield and Euclid?

What is the "beach"?
..Ciao, for now!  It's not TV it's HBO  visit:  www.hbo.com

Offline j73

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2006, 04:00:03 PM »

I haven't lived in Cleveland for 18 years, so sorry to ask a dumb/or repeated question, but I'm trying to get my bearings.  This is the area at the corner of Mayfield and Euclid?

What is the "beach"?

The Triangle sits at the SE corner of Mayfield an Euclid.  The new MOCA Cleveland bldg is going into that site (although I think they're keeping the apt towers).  This project w/MRN & Zaremba stretches east from there along Euclid toward (to?) the Cleveland Inst of Art bldg.  It covers roughly the same stretch on the North side of the street, too.  The "beach" is the nickname for all the parking lots that line the north side of Euclid.  If I remember right the new college bookstore (run by Barnes & Noble) is planned for the NE corner of Ford & Euclid (if you go straight on Mayfield it turns into Ford).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 04:01:09 PM by j73 »

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2006, 09:09:59 PM »
So Barnes and Noble is commited to this project?
Without change, progress is impossible.

Offline j73

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2006, 10:13:01 PM »
B&N was once talked about - don't know if they're in now or if they ever were, just that they were rumored or hoepd for.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2006, 10:38:25 PM »
B&N was once talked about - don't know if they're in now or if they ever were, just that they were rumored or hoepd for.

I don't have up to the minute information, but I had always heard that B&N had signed on to do a two-story bookstore at the the corner of Euclid & Ford.

Offline downtowndreamer

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2006, 07:39:47 AM »
This is exciting news.

Developers, Case sign memo for 'college town'
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Tom Breckenridge
Plain Dealer Reporter
Two developers making their mark in Cleveland's core are ready to tackle the much-anticipated "college town" development in University Circle.

Developers Nathan Zaremba and MRN Ltd., in a joint venture, have signed a letter of intent with Case Western Reserve University to pursue the $120 million mix of arts, retail and dwellings.

It's planned for about eight acres north and south of Euclid Avenue, east of the Ford Drive-Mayfield Road intersection.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:08:57 AM by MayDay »

Offline the pope

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • World Class Signage
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2006, 10:19:50 AM »
Developers, Case sign memo for 'college town'
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Tom Breckenridge
Plain Dealer Reporter

Developers Nathan Zaremba and MRN Ltd., in a joint venture, have signed a letter of intent with Case Western Reserve University to pursue the $120 million mix of arts, retail and dwellings.

It's planned for about eight acres north and south of Euclid Avenue, east of the Ford Drive-Mayfield Road intersection.

http://www.cleveland.com/plaindealer/stories/index.ssf?/base/isedu/1165924555110800.xml&coll=2
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 12:03:45 AM by the pope »

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2006, 10:44:40 AM »
"We're ready to go," said John Wheeler, Case's vice president for Cleveland and regional affairs. "This is the first step in a long process, but we're optimistic."

Well, I don't know about "first step," but it's still on the early end of things.  It's progress, which we haven't seen in some time, but we're still just back to where we were several months ago when the first "new" development team was assembled (and subsequently fell apart). 

I'm interested to see what they're thinking of for a timeline.  I'm under the impression that the earliest conceivable groundbreaking is still more than 12 months away...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 04:59:41 PM by Mister Good Day »

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2006, 01:10:21 PM »
I wonder about the timeline to. I would prefer sooner, but twelve months is fine for me just as long as the project gets complete.
Without change, progress is impossible.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2006, 05:01:12 PM »
MRN has already done a bunch of work for this project.  I'm not sure how much of it will be kept with Zaremba coming in, but they shouldn't have to start all over with the market analysis and all that...  hopefully they're on to financing the thing, securing tenants and getting architectural and construction documents ready!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2007, 01:50:01 PM »
Sounds exciting.  The museum, along with the Triangle project, in total, will finally pull the great U. Circle together as a retail and housing area bonding with the already world-class institutions.  Question:

I'm not quite sure where "lot 45" is and how these buildings will be situated.  Also, am I to understand they want to build a condo tower on East Blvd on top of a new CIA building at the current location?  How will that work? anyone got a map?  

lot 45 is the huge surface lot that is located between the Triangle apartment buildings and the train tracks.

I've heard that Zaremba and MRN have pulled in some California designer to work on their plans for the Triangle. This all is very interesting.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2007, 02:09:12 PM »
Despite these being sincere plans with true momentum, all of this is so preliminary that I don't believe there are any renderings or site plans out there, aside from those being worked on by Zaremba & MRN for the Triangle.  I haven't seen anything from CIA or MOCA.  Go ahead an propose some, though!  There will certainly be public meetings to discuss these large projects and it would help to have thought through the process yourself before attending.

All in all, these projects are very exciting and the notable architects will only serve to make the projects more appealing to a broader audience and not just shoppers, residents and students.

The East Boulevard CIA site is very interesting to think about because of its proximity to CMA and its neighbors all being academic buildings under 5 stories.  A high-rise condo tower won't be an obvious construct for the site, but could be done well if mixed with buildings that fill out the rest of the site.  That's my take on it for now, anyway...

Offline the pope

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • World Class Signage
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2007, 07:51:14 AM »
so does anyone have any updates on the Ford/Euclid (the beach?) property?

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2007, 07:57:36 AM »
Its part of the Triangle project. From what I hear/deduce, its moving along. 

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2007, 09:08:45 AM »
You heard correctly...there should be some community meetings in the near future. 

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2007, 12:17:35 PM »
Regarding the redev of the Triangle at Ford & Euclid, there are some fun drawings to look at on the Terra-Mark website.  BTW, Terra-Mark was recently announced as leading the retail study commissioned by Dwntwn Clv Alliance, Gateway, & Playhouse Square for lower Euclid.

http://www.terremarkpartners.com/
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Remove Ads