Author Topic: Cleveland: University Circle: Uptown (UARD)  (Read 421190 times)

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleveland: Uptown (UARD) in University Circle
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2008, 09:12:07 AM »
Zaremba said the condo/apartment thingies were going to be "ikea-like"

I heard that some of the apartments will feature moveable walls--you can sort of design your own space. I'm guessing that was what he was talking about.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
And that was supposed to be a good thing? Hmm. That comment alone makes me worry.
You and me both!

I think he might mean ikea-like in a "modular" design.  Lets hope that is only for the rental units.  I think that "design" interest, might appeal to the whippersnappers who they are targetting to live/work/play in the the area.

30 & 40 somethings workers/professional who are also on the target list might buy larger units and have bigger budgets to work with in regard to deisgn/decor of their unit.
my 2      Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2008, 09:16:30 AM »
Well of course Nathan Zaremba could just as easily rattle off Poggenpohl, B&B Italia, and Cassina but here's the reaction he'd get from 90% (or more) of Clevelanders:

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2008, 09:17:18 AM »
Well of course Nathan Zaremba could just as easily rattle off Poggenpohl, B&B Italia, and Cassina but here's the reaction he'd get from 90% (or more) of Clevelanders:

Ummm .. and me. :)

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2008, 09:18:46 AM »
I am so, so, so excited and hope to own one of these condos when they open.  So much to digest here.

I noticed that.  It's just one rendering, but I still think it looks like a harsh, uninviting space.  The glass ground floor is ok, just ok, and the upper level seems "Brutalist revival" and monolithic.  I don't like the way that it curves to define the alley space at all.  Not with that lack of human scale architectural detail.

A lot is going to depend on the facade material and detailing, to state the obvious.  The one Office dA project I've looked at closely in person (in Boston) was f'ing awesome IMHO.  It used tightly packed bricks to introduced recognizable scale and texture to a large facade in a way that I thought really worked.  I have a lot of confidence in these guys.

"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline doctabroccoli

• UO Resident Mad Scientist
  • Premium Member
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2008, 09:23:13 AM »
And that was supposed to be a good thing? Hmm. That comment alone makes me worry.
You and me both!

I think he might mean ikea-like in a "modular" design.  Lets hope that is only for the rental units.  I think that "design" interest, might appeal to the whippersnappers who they are targetting to live/work/play in the the area.

30 & 40 somethings workers/professional who are also on the target list might buy larger units and have bigger budgets to work with in regard to deisgn/decor of their unit.

Yes, the Ikea comment was in reference to the lower-priced units that they want students and such to inhabit.

Offline bizbiz

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • I Just Can't Get Enough.. OF CLEVELAND!
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
I think that the best thing about this for us Ubran Ohio'ers is that when it's all done being built, we can go hang out there and it'll not only be fun and good to know Cleveland is doing well, but we'll basically have all these new neighborhoods and districts to just hang out in that previously did not exist. This one sparks my interest equally as much as Flats East Bank. Pitts and Columbus have jumped the ship on us with these sort of new neighborhoods or re-development projects, but once all is said and done, Cleveland will come out the winner since so many are planned at once. I often go to Pittsburgh and say to myself how Cleveland needs something like the E. Carson Street re-development. Same with Short North's different new urban projects in Columbus. They both add density, street action, big name retail, people, and fun. It's in NE Ohio, but we gotta go to Crocker Park to get it. So, yes, this will be amazing in 5 years to enjoy this stuff in the WHD, FEB, Avenue District, UC, or also Upper Chester. Lots to look forward to, and that makes me happy!

Offline originaljbw

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
  • Livin in the OB!
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2008, 12:19:10 PM »

<tangent>
I am incredibly disappointed with everything I have ever purchased from Ikea. The Nordic minimalist idea is great, but using fiberboard with a snappy wood grain pattern glued on the outside does not make quality!

<end tangent>

I have worked in the service industry in the UC/CCF neighborhoods for over two years now. Since the first week of work I have wondered why there isn't a greater demand for higher end residential and commercial around the Clinic and Case. The neighborhood is great to visit during the day, but at night time there is not a whole lot to do. I'm hoping that these projects will help create a neighborhood that isn't just a place to work, but also a great place to live and an after hours destination rivaling E 4th, Warehouse, and Coventry.
-Mea Gloria Fides-

Offline doctabroccoli

• UO Resident Mad Scientist
  • Premium Member
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »

<tangent>
I am incredibly disappointed with everything I have ever purchased from Ikea. The Nordic minimalist idea is great, but using fiberboard with a snappy wood grain pattern glued on the outside does not make quality!

<end tangent>

I have worked in the service industry in the UC/CCF neighborhoods for over two years now. Since the first week of work I have wondered why there isn't a greater demand for higher end residential and commercial around the Clinic and Case. The neighborhood is great to visit during the day, but at night time there is not a whole lot to do. I'm hoping that these projects will help create a neighborhood that isn't just a place to work, but also a great place to live and an after hours destination rivaling E 4th, Warehouse, and Coventry.

The motto of Case undergrads has always been "you have to make a social life for yourself" :-/

Offline originaljbw

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
  • Livin in the OB!
« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »
As a waiter, I don't have a social life! :)

But seriously, on evenings when nothing is going on in the evening at Severance, the Playhouse, or the Clinic, its qqqquuuiiieeetttt! I have never seen a college that has virtually no night life going on in the neighborhood surrounding.
-Mea Gloria Fides-

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2008, 12:35:02 PM »
"I have never seen a college that has virtually no night life going on in the neighborhood surrounding."

Have you ever MET some Case undergrads?

<back on topic>

Offline bizbiz

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2008, 12:39:28 PM »
The CWRU nightlife is and has been happening a mile east, at Coventry. Uptown will obviously be the place to be once all is said and done.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:40:38 PM by bizbiz »

Offline Eparabola

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »
I remember Peter Lewis gave a talk a few years ago and chastised Case - well, actually the whole community - for not properly developing the area.  If this plan comes together (isn't there going to be an official announcement today?), then maybe he'll give some $$$ to the area like many thought he would.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2008, 12:45:23 PM »
The tenant mix will be very interesting. Will they target college kids, grad students, medical residents, researchers, mature folk going to see arts-related activities?? I've heard something vague as if they are really going for a mix.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2008, 12:54:33 PM »
The tenant mix will be very interesting. Will they target college kids, grad students, medical residents, researchers, mature folk going to see arts-related activities?? I've heard something vague as if they are really going for a mix.

to me this is the best and most interesting part of the project.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline the pope

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • World Class Signage
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2008, 12:56:52 PM »

I am also interested, I'm thinking of the following demographics in the immediate area

1) tons of College Kids
2) Tons of workers, with an nod to the heavy emphasis upon medical
3) The more mature cultural orchestra/arts crowd.

I guess what I'm saying is there's a lot of different groups that touch UC on a daily/weekly basis.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2008, 12:57:49 PM »
my goodness.... it'll be (gasp)... almost... city like, when this thing comes together.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »
The comparison lots of people like to make is Harvard Square: students of all levels, cultural institutions, lots of office workers, lots and lots of restaurant/retail, public transit hub, etc.  Harvard Square doesn't have the hospitals though (for worse or...for better?). 
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2008, 01:01:55 PM »
I think that the entertainment stuff will be more centered around the alley and the everyday retail will go on Euclid.

UCI is also working on a parking garage along the rapid tracks and a possible grocery store on Mayfield adjacent to the redline.

There are also some other smaller things brewing in the area..

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2008, 01:04:22 PM »
it's official... i'm now enamored with the pedestrian alley.  i keep staring at the graphic and i keep envisioning the possibilities... i think my head is going to explode.

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2008, 11:00:57 AM »
Woke up this morning all happy about this project.  I think it excites me more than any other single mega project (FEB, Pesht) on the boards right now.

Offline Florida Guy

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2008, 11:20:56 AM »
I missed this thread yesterday. Excellent news!

Offline tinkerbelle

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2008, 12:16:43 PM »
I remember hearing about this project a while back and I kind of forgot about it. I am super glad that it is progressing!

Now lets see some concentration on the Western Side of East 105. Hough, Wade Park, Ansel should all be glorious gateways into the circle.

I agree.

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »
Well, there is Uptown, and UCI wants to develop the land where the old National City Branch was located.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:08:59 PM by X »

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2008, 02:46:37 PM »

Offline ragarcia

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2008, 03:19:07 PM »
When I moved to Cleveland from Puerto Rico in 1990 to go to Case I lived in some of those nasty dorms in the North side of campus (the dorm was Taft).  I could not believe how impossible it was for us to have fun outside in the University Circle area.  University Circle just did not offer anything of value to us (asides from 10 cent wing nights at The Euc).

I was and still am surprised as to why it has taken 18 years to get a project like this off the ground.  However, now that it seems to be up and running, I get so...well, makes me wish I was 18 again.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:21:44 PM by ragarcia »

Online CornerCurve

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
Strong design of Uptown project bodes well for Cleveland's future

Steven Litt
Sunday, July 27, 2008

The public is invited to a community briefing and feedback session on the Uptown development from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 26, at the Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/steven_litt/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/1217061257229130.xml&coll=2
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:14:51 PM by CornerCurve »

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2008, 09:22:16 AM »
"For Cleveland, a city coping with crime, poverty, a shrinking population and a mortgage meltdown in many neighborhoods, the new designs offer a solid indication that the future might be very different."

That's right folks, he hasn't done his job until he's brought up bludgeoned that fact into us for the 5,396,558th time!!!  :roll:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:48:33 AM by MayDay »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2008, 11:10:01 AM »
No wonder those words roll off the average Clevelanders' tongue without questioning if they are even accurate.
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." Winston Churchill

Offline badge

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2008, 09:12:12 PM »

Yeah, only a few people in all of Cleveland are educated and well read enough to know anything about design outside of Value City and IKEA. Additionally, it certainly is difficult to Google these things and learn about them in a matter of minutes.

Offline LovesIt

• 408'-Kettering Tower
  • hey..
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2008, 10:30:15 AM »
^Hey ain't notin wrong with Value City Furniture!

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2008, 12:07:30 PM »
^Hey ain't notin wrong with Value City Furniture!

Yes, there is. :(

Offline bizbiz

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2008, 03:26:14 PM »
I second that!

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2008, 03:45:09 PM »
"Saitowitz's five-story apartment building, to be located across the street, on the south side of Euclid Avenue, is conceived as a sleek, elegant object with smooth facades of pre-cast concrete. It too will have irregular window patterns marking the variety of the apartments within. And it will have large rectangular areas hollowed out to create indoor-outdoor areas for recreation and lounging."

Ughhh, this sounds even worse than it looks in the renderings so far.  Funny, when the architects were announced, I was excited to see what Saitowitz would come up with after looking at their portfolio, and unhappy with what I saw from Office dA's.  I feel the opposite about what we're getting here.

Offline bizbiz

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2008, 03:55:31 PM »
I remember Peter Lewis gave a talk a few years ago and chastised Case - well, actually the whole community - for not properly developing the area.  If this plan comes together (isn't there going to be an official announcement today?), then maybe he'll give some $$$ to the area like many thought he would.

Bottom line is, he built a headquarters in 5 different spots all along I-271 which did absolutely nothing for Cleveland. And as for his amazing collection of artwork on display, it's too bad it's in a hardly unique office building in a hardly unique area that is very hard to find. If he truly cared for Cleveland, he'd do something more than criticize. The default line for most of us Urban Ohioer's: If only I was a billionaire..

Remove Ads