Author Topic: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)  (Read 887264 times)

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
Re: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)
« Reply #4375 on: December 12, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »
$25 million Over-the-Rhine project has a name, groundbreaking date

The development team working on a $25 million mixed-use development in Over-the-Rhine has a name and groundbreaking date for the project.

Source 3 Development, the downtown-based development group that is leading the development of the northwest corner of Liberty and Elm streets, named its development Freeport Row. The name is an ode to Freeport Alley, which is being preserved in the center of the project.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/12/12/25-million-over-the-rhine-project-has-a-name.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #4376 on: December 12, 2016, 03:34:52 PM »
^Speaking of Race St, the latest HCB packet has a request to change the zoning at 33 Greene St (corner with Race), to allow for office, retail, or restaurant use. Currently it is zoned RM 1.2 (residential multifamily), which doesn't allow for any of those uses. It's frustrating that a building like that is zoned RM 1.2, when it was was clearly built for first floor retail, and within the last few years had the J&M Market operate out of it (perhaps illegally?). I wonder if other buildings on Race St with storefronts were also downzoned to residential. I hope the city makes it easy to re-zone for commercial uses, but it's still an additional hurdle for getting these storefronts re-opened.

Another way the city could make it easier for redevelopment is by easing parking restrictions. The 33 Green St zoning use variance states (i.e. they can't just open a retailer without securing some nearby parking, which will add additional cost to the project):
The relief is only to allow for the Use Variance and any parking relief to be sought will need to be addressed once a final use is established.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/buildings/historic-conservation/historic-conservation-board/december-5-2016-staff-report-and-attachments/

Offline thebillshark

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #4377 on: December 12, 2016, 07:58:40 PM »
^Speaking of Race St, the latest HCB packet has a request to change the zoning at 33 Greene St (corner with Race), to allow for office, retail, or restaurant use. Currently it is zoned RM 1.2 (residential multifamily), which doesn't allow for any of those uses. It's frustrating that a building like that is zoned RM 1.2, when it was was clearly built for first floor retail, and within the last few years had the J&M Market operate out of it (perhaps illegally?). I wonder if other buildings on Race St with storefronts were also downzoned to residential. I hope the city makes it easy to re-zone for commercial uses, but it's still an additional hurdle for getting these storefronts re-opened.

Another way the city could make it easier for redevelopment is by easing parking restrictions. The 33 Green St zoning use variance states (i.e. they can't just open a retailer without securing some nearby parking, which will add additional cost to the project):
The relief is only to allow for the Use Variance and any parking relief to be sought will need to be addressed once a final use is established.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/buildings/historic-conservation/historic-conservation-board/december-5-2016-staff-report-and-attachments/

Zoning and parking policies haven't been touched for years, and still reflect a suburban mentality superimposed on the city. They really need an overhaul.

Offline bendixondavis

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #4378 on: December 12, 2016, 09:18:10 PM »
It's really a shame we can't just blanket form-based code over the whole city and be done with it. Especially with reuse of old buildings there is no reason code should dictate that it can't be used for it's original purpose again.

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
« Reply #4379 on: December 13, 2016, 07:46:26 AM »
OTR home tour highlights history, vibrancy of neighborhood: SLIDESHOW
Dec 13, 2016, 7:07am EST
Nikki Kingery
Projects Editor
Cincinnati Business Courier

Over-the-Rhine's third annual holiday home tour on Dec. 10 featured a self-guided walk through five homes and two historic churches.

The tour provided a glimpse of new construction and historic restoration across a range of architectural styles. Tickets for the tour were $25 and all proceeds went to Future Leaders Over-the-Rhine, a year-round program providing educational and character-building opportunities for students in grades 7-12 living in the neighborhood.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/12/13/otr-home-tour-highlights-history-vibrancy-of.html
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 02:37:30 PM by taestell »
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4381 on: December 22, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »
OTRís Film Center project gets key city incentives
Dec 22, 2016, 2:55pm EST
Chris Wetterich
Staff reporter and columnist

The Film Center, a mixed-use project near Cincinnatiís streetcar line, received property tax incentives from the city this week, which is another key financial piece for the nearly $11 million project being developed by Urban Sites.

Urban Sites will save nearly $1.2 million in property taxes over the course of the 12-year community reinvestment area tax exemption deal for the building at 1632 Central Parkway. It will pay about $309,000 to the operations of the Cincinnati Bell Connector streetcar during that time.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/12/22/otr-s-film-center-project-gets-key-city.html
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #4382 on: December 24, 2016, 02:19:25 PM »
Dec 23 2016:

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #4383 on: December 25, 2016, 12:46:21 AM »
Wow, I didn't realize the ETC expansion was that far along. Model Group's Market Square is coming along fast too.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline ucgrady

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #4384 on: December 29, 2016, 02:29:52 PM »
Took a walk at lunch since it was so nice out, grabbed some pictures of the new Shakespeare Theatre, which has much more corner presence than I was expecting it to, as well as some work on Race Street across the street from 3CDC's 15th and Race project. I really like the dark brick and modern windows being used there, especially compared to whats going in across the street and one block over on Elm.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:30:37 PM by ucgrady »

Online SleepyLeroy

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #4385 on: December 29, 2016, 03:19:33 PM »
^ I remember that from the proposal with the dark gray brick and varied depth windows. I thought it was a cool idea then, & you are right it looks very good in person too. The shadows really help liven up an otherwise flat facade. Makes it look a whole lot more luxury looking than if they were all the same flushed or even recessed depths. Hope to see more dark and rich colored bricks too. Im tired of the tans.

Offline neilworms

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #4386 on: December 30, 2016, 10:13:16 AM »
They also did a good job making those bricks look old - no where near as uniform as a lot of high quality infill does it.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #4387 on: January 02, 2017, 10:11:22 PM »

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4388 on: January 03, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »
Thanks for all the great photo thread updates!

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #4389 on: January 20, 2017, 04:47:15 PM »
More housing coming to Findlay Market area

New low-income housing is coming to an area near Findlay Market with Over-the-Rhine Community Housing, a developer attempting to ensure a mix of incomes remains in the neighborhood, hoping to acquire other property near the iconic site in the future.

The Cincinnati Planning Commission approved the sale of 1630 Pleasant St., a vacant building one block from the market with six efficiency apartments, to OTRCH on Friday for $1. It is one of the properties owned by the city that the Cincinnati Center City Development Corp. is charged with unloading to capable developers.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/01/20/more-housing-coming-to-findlay-market-area.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #4390 on: January 26, 2017, 12:35:33 AM »
Apartments, Airbnb, restaurant planned south of Rhinegeist

A local investment group is continuing to bet on development along the Cincinnati Bell Connector route.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/01/25/exclusive-apartments-airbnb-restaurant-planned.html

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #4391 on: January 26, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »
The Northern Liberties continue to boom. In a few years we're going to have a significant population in that previously deserted part of the city.

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #4392 on: January 26, 2017, 01:37:40 PM »
Two infill projects on Race St are almost finished:

Offline jim uber

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #4393 on: January 26, 2017, 02:56:40 PM »
^ and two that show how modern infill with high quality materials can fit beautifully within the existing OTR fabric.

I hope that the OTR Foundation Infill Committee is taking careful notes.

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4394 on: February 02, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »
Cincinnatiís new Shakespeare theater takes shape: PHOTOS
Feb 2, 2017, 11:21am EST
Erin Caproni
Digital Producer

Construction of Cincinnati Shakespeare Companyís new theater is whizzing along as the group prepares to open its 2017-18 season in its new home this fall.

The company will move into the Otto M. Budig Theater at 12th and Elm streets in Over-the-Rhine in the coming months and host its grand opening on Sept. 8.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/02/02/cincinnati-s-new-shakespeare-theater-takes-shape.html

Offline Jskinner

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #4395 on: February 02, 2017, 01:50:25 PM »
Does anyone know if there are plans for the movie theater that Shakespeare is leaving at 719 Race?  It would be great to have a repertoire cinema again

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #4396 on: February 02, 2017, 02:24:52 PM »
^Ah yes, The Real Movies.  Home of the Rocky Horror Picture show for 25~ years. 

Offline jim uber

« Reply #4397 on: February 06, 2017, 08:27:25 AM »

The development team working on a $25 million mixed-use development in Over-the-Rhine has a name and groundbreaking date for the project.

Source 3 Development, the downtown-based development group that is leading the development of the northwest corner of Liberty and Elm streets, named its development Freeport Row. The name is an ode to Freeport Alley, which is being preserved in the center of the project.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/12/12/25-million-over-the-rhine-project-has-a-name.html
I just learned that the Liberty and Elm (a.k.a. "Freeport Row") project approval was appealed to the Zoning board of appeals, by the OTR community council. Not sure if this will appear at the February meeting. This evidently happened January 20 but I just heard about it a couple days ago. If anyone has any specific information about scheduling of the zoning board of appeals decision, please let it be known.

My take - L&E is not a fantastic example of great infill architecture. But, annoyingly, the forces against the development bear significant responsibility for that, because they caused the entire project to be shortened/downsized. Instead of joining forces to make buildings smaller, we should be cheering density. We should be asking developers to put an appropriate portion of their revenue, which benefits from higher densities, toward high quality materials and design.

The OTR Foundation "Infill Committee" has organized opposition with the OTR community council on this. In my opinion, they are dominated by a romantic notion of OTR that is not practical. They complain about this building being out of scale with the neighborhood, while ignoring examples to the contrary -- notably the Streitmann building that is more massive while fronting a street about half as wide (12th).

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4398 on: February 06, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »
^Agree completely. This idea that OTR is made up purely of 16-25' wide row buildings is nothing more than an inaccurate romantic understanding of the built environment. There are plenty of great examples of nicely integrated large buildings this should be utilizing for contextual design.

And by contextual I mean things like scaling, graining, massing, etc. not style. We really need to get away from pushing for faux historicism. Compare the new infill on the 1500 block of Elm to the 1500 block of Race. Race still feels contextual and appropriate (the 3CDC one could be better but it's not terrible) and the Jose Garcia and Terry Boling buildings are great examples of modern infill. The street's historic architecture still shines and the new infill is appropriately modern while feeling like it belongs.

Go over to Elm and you have the garbage Towne put up. It looks cheap. They didn't even do a good job at being faux historic. They're insulting to their historic neighbors. That block now feels cheapened. These faux old buildings make it look like some silly suburban planned community with some bucolic name like "The Grove" or some other BS.

OTR needs to do better. There's enough money to do better.

Offline neilworms

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #4399 on: February 06, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
^Ah yes, The Real Movies.  Home of the Rocky Horror Picture show for 25~ years. 

From everything I've heard it seems like it was a better art theater than the Esquire...

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4400 on: February 10, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »
More apartments coming to Over-the-Rhine near Washington Park
Feb 10, 2017, 2:55pm EST Updated Feb 10, 2017, 3:01pm EST
Chris Wetterich
Staff reporter and columnist

New housing is coming to Over-the-Rhine near Washington Park and Music Hall in the former Joseph House.

BAM Realty Group is renovating a nearly 5,000-square-foot, four-unit apartment building at 1207 Elm St. at a $1.2 million cost. The building was constructed in 1880 and has been vacant for at least five years.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/02/10/more-apartments-coming-to-over-the-rhine-near.html

Offline jim uber

« Reply #4401 on: February 11, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »

More below:
I just learned that the Liberty and Elm (a.k.a. "Freeport Row") project approval was appealed to the Zoning board of appeals, by the OTR community council. Not sure if this will appear at the February meeting. This evidently happened January 20 but I just heard about it a couple days ago. If anyone has any specific information about scheduling of the zoning board of appeals decision, please let it be known.

My take - L&E is not a fantastic example of great infill architecture. But, annoyingly, the forces against the development bear significant responsibility for that, because they caused the entire project to be shortened/downsized. Instead of joining forces to make buildings smaller, we should be cheering density. We should be asking developers to put an appropriate portion of their revenue, which benefits from higher densities, toward high quality materials and design.

The OTR Foundation "Infill Committee" has organized opposition with the OTR community council on this. In my opinion, they are dominated by a romantic notion of OTR that is not practical. They complain about this building being out of scale with the neighborhood, while ignoring examples to the contrary -- notably the Streitmann building that is more massive while fronting a street about half as wide (12th).
http://www.citybeat.com/news/news-feature/article/20851474/neighborhood-groups-are-concerned-about-the-final-version-of-a-big-new-development-coming-to-northern-otr

The hypocrisy continues to amaze. "Community groups" argue for and obtain a reduction in density, leading to a reduction in profit, and then they complain about not getting the good design or the parking garage or the income-based units they think should be a part of this development. Did they not ever think about using those items as a bargaining chip prior to taking the increased density (and the revenues) off the table?

Let's call this what it is - certain members of the community, including the OTR foundation, who want to push their romantic notion of an OTR built for tourists, and who are grasping for any straw they can get their hand on in order to push for that, whether it is affordable housing, or parking needs, or the scourge of density, or - the new one - the lack of engagement with "the community."

And to the OTR foundation "infill committee" I'd ask, just where are these "infill guidelines" that you are supposed to be so expert at. Quit hiding behind them and make them public, if in fact we are supposed to believe that you represent some sort of advanced thinking in that realm, compared to the rest of us ordinary citizens.

Offline TheHemroid

« Reply #4402 on: February 12, 2017, 09:09:32 AM »
Agreed!  The worst thing to happen to any kind of progress is 'design-by-committee'   They need to appoint one single person who's actually good at it instead of gathering opinions from people who shouldn't be giving their opinions.

Offline IAGuy39

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #4403 on: February 17, 2017, 10:37:45 AM »
It looks like every single one of these buildings on W. 15th Street are sale pending:

https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/CIN/1481590/210-W-Fifteenth-St-E-Cincinnati-OH-45202

Also some of the Wade Street Properties look like they've been sold, and most of the Elm Street Townhomes have been sold it looks like as well.

So, I don't know if anyone was anxious about sales in OTR but they are definitely selling off now in the Elm Street Corridor!

Offline jim uber

« Reply #4404 on: February 17, 2017, 11:05:26 AM »
It looks like every single one of these buildings on W. 15th Street are sale pending:

https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/CIN/1481590/210-W-Fifteenth-St-E-Cincinnati-OH-45202

Also some of the Wade Street Properties look like they've been sold, and most of the Elm Street Townhomes have been sold it looks like as well.

So, I don't know if anyone was anxious about sales in OTR but they are definitely selling off now in the Elm Street Corridor!
It does look like the W 15th homes are doing really well. But I only see that one of the Towne Properties homes have sale pending; do you know otherwise that the others are sold? I just had the impression that those units were going to go slowly.

Offline jim uber

« Reply #4405 on: February 17, 2017, 11:07:27 AM »
^incidentally isn't it annoying that, still, you can't get on Cincy MLS and actually do a search for "downtown" or "over the rhine"? I mean, I can restrict my search to Oakley, or Hyde Park, and literally any of the suburbs. Just another example of anti-city bias, IMHO. Irksome.

Offline hoerstw

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #4406 on: February 17, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »
^incidentally isn't it annoying that, still, you can't get on Cincy MLS and actually do a search for "downtown" or "over the rhine"? I mean, I can restrict my search to Oakley, or Hyde Park, and literally any of the suburbs. Just another example of anti-city bias, IMHO. Irksome.

To get listings of Downtown and OTR you have to select "City of Cincinnati" as the neighborhood. For whatever reason that is the filter for just DT/OTR...which doesn't make much sense for a number of reasons.

Offline thomasbw

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • www.cincystreetcar.tumblr.com
« Reply #4407 on: February 17, 2017, 11:18:08 AM »

If you type in "City" for Comey and Shepard it gives you CBD, OTR, some West End and some Mt. Auburn. It's a pretty close approximation of 'walkable to downtown'

Offline IAGuy39

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #4408 on: February 17, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »

It does look like the W 15th homes are doing really well. But I only see that one of the Towne Properties homes have sale pending; do you know otherwise that the others are sold? I just had the impression that those units were going to go slowly.

Yeah, you know, I just hadn't seen a lot listed so I figured they were already sold, no insider info at all.  I did notice though on pictures I wasn't the biggest fan of them compared to other listings I have seen in OTR

Offline Caseyc

« Reply #4409 on: February 17, 2017, 02:47:52 PM »

Yeah, you know, I just hadn't seen a lot listed so I figured they were already sold, no insider info at all.  I did notice though on pictures I wasn't the biggest fan of them compared to other listings I have seen in OTR

Pretty sure the 15th Street ones were all pre-sold.

Re Wade, several had to be pre-sold as a condition to obtaining financing.

Also re Jim Uber comment above on the objections by certain members of the "community," well, I could not have said it better myself.

Remove Ads