PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: John Hartness Brown Buildings  (Read 2183 times)

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Cleveland: Downtown: John Hartness Brown Buildings
« Reply #450 on: March 21, 2017, 09:15:38 PM »
Seems unlikely. If they want to build a new downtown tower, why not go to nuCLEus, or the Weston warehouse district parking lots, or one of the other prime surface parking lots (like the E. 9th lot next to Progressive Field).  Why knock down buildings?  Why forgo the opportunity to be on a corner?

Better yet, why forego the opportunity for one of Cleveland's largest and oldest corporate citizens to tower over Public Square on the Jacobs lot? I'm sure Jacobs would be happy to construct for it a stunning architectural statement about S-W's next 150 years and assume the debt from this venture.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline YABO713

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #451 on: March 22, 2017, 10:45:33 AM »
Seems unlikely. If they want to build a new downtown tower, why not go to nuCLEus, or the Weston warehouse district parking lots, or one of the other prime surface parking lots (like the E. 9th lot next to Progressive Field).  Why knock down buildings?  Why forgo the opportunity to be on a corner?

Better yet, why forego the opportunity for one of Cleveland's largest and oldest corporate citizens to tower over Public Square on the Jacobs lot? I'm sure Jacobs would be happy to construct for it a stunning architectural statement about S-W's next 150 years and assume the debt from this venture.

That certainly seems to be the most logical spot, no argument from me there.

Additionally, if SW continues to grow, the will likely need rental space in a new, different building. As a consequence of their own success, I think SW will be forced to confront this relocation by 2020 at the latest.

Just a random, quasi-irrelevant thought, does anyone know if the office footprint of these buildings is greater than the Rose Building --- ala MedMu

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #452 on: March 22, 2017, 11:03:47 AM »

And even if you are OK knocking down buildings (which really isn't all that hard or expensive), why build a tower that would face 20 stories of mostly blank wall on two sides? I agree this is a very unlikely site for a new office tower.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #453 on: March 22, 2017, 11:08:36 AM »
Just a random, quasi-irrelevant thought, does anyone know if the office footprint of these buildings is greater than the Rose Building --- ala MedMu

I responded at the Cleveland office development thread:
https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,4266.msg845709.html#msg845709

Offline zbaris87

• Excavation Site
« Reply #454 on: April 12, 2017, 02:16:42 PM »
CLEVELAND, Ohio - The troubled John Hartness Brown complex in downtown Cleveland could change hands in late April, thanks to an appeals court decision issued last week.

On Thursday, the Eighth District Court of Appeals upheld a lower court's 2016 decision to green-light the sale of the empty Euclid Avenue buildings, which were earmarked years ago as the potential site of a Le Meridien hotel. The buyer, Alto Partners, has offered $9.1 million for the property, which is in foreclosure and controlled by a court-appointed receiver.

More at:
http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/04/court_ruling_paves_way_for_sal.html
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:35:03 PM by MayDay »

Offline YABO713

« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2017, 03:06:56 PM »
This is exciting! Happy the litigation seems to be reaching a logical end.

Offline simplythis

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #456 on: June 22, 2017, 11:07:02 PM »
Anyone know if the JHB litigation is wrapped up?
I thought it was close to an end in April.

Offline Old AmrapinVA

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #458 on: August 15, 2017, 07:19:49 PM »
I'm very curious about how these buildings will turn out. Alto is based in Istanbul and they some rather interesting designs from their projects in Kazakhstan. Preserving these buildings is definitely something new for this company. Hopefully they treat this with care.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #459 on: August 15, 2017, 07:21:30 PM »
Good news. Alto has a track record of developing in difficult markets, including in Iraq of all places. Alto was the developer who said it wants to develop a million square feet of offices in Cleveland, presumably for back-office functions relocating from expensive coastal markets.

Offline bumsquare

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #460 on: August 15, 2017, 09:45:43 PM »
Have to disagree with @mjarboe. The purchase was more Ottoman than Byzantine.

Offline Dougal

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #462 on: August 16, 2017, 12:03:35 AM »
I'm very curious about how these buildings will turn out.

Me, too. In the rendering (not to be trusted, I realize) a lot of period detail seems to be left out.
There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Offline YABO713

« Reply #463 on: August 16, 2017, 08:17:28 AM »
I'll be blunt. The rendering is atrocious. But beggars can't be choosers at this point lol.

I'm usually in the camp of preserving historical buildings... but I wouldn't hate a complete tear-down.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #464 on: August 16, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »
I'd be surprised if the project is viable without the credits, so can't say I'm all that worried about the renderings.

Offline AJ93

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #465 on: August 16, 2017, 09:14:57 AM »
Have to disagree with @mjarboe. The purchase was more Ottoman than Byzantine.

I chuckled appreciatively

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #466 on: December 07, 2017, 12:15:09 PM »
Nice article about the progress being made on the CAC Building:

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/features/CleAthleticClub120717.aspx

Really shows what kind of shape the building was in and why it has taken so long to get to where were at today.  This is going to fill in a very significant patch of Euclid.  Now just waiting on JHB Building and 925 and we've got a complete street!

I honestly think we say JHB demolished in the next 2-3 years.

For what? Or because of neglect?