Author Topic: Columbus: Scioto Peninsula Developments and News  (Read 15491 times)

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
Re: Columbus: Scioto Peninsula Developments and News
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2018, 04:51:18 PM »
Disagreements doomed Buckingham's bid for Scioto Peninsula, city emails show

The deal between the Indianapolis company chosen to spearhead the $500 million Scioto Peninsula redevelopment, the city of Columbus and Columbus Downtown Development Corp. was falling apart long before the June announcement that the project was on hold and that Buckingham Cos. was out.

Columbus Business First reviewed hundreds of emails between the city, the CDDC and Buckingham and found that the developer began reworking initial plans soon after landing the lucrative assignment as part of a potential deal with a company to move its headquarters to the Scioto Peninsula. The reworked project, the emails show, would have first and foremost focused on that company's campus before building up the rest of the mixed-use site with the hoped-for hotels, residences and restaurants.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/07/11/disagreements-doomed-buckinghams-bid-for-scioto.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline cbussoccer

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2018, 05:00:10 PM »
I'm not quite sure what to make of everything in this article....

Offline Toddguy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2018, 09:12:32 AM »
The article in today's Dispatch mention that the corporate headquarters (which they say is still considering the site) wanted a 'suburban like' campus per Buckingham and that is why it was scrapped. If that is the case, good! They (CDDC) also say it is not Amazon, but won't reveal who it is.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180711/developer-says-prominent-stakeholder-cost-it-scioto-peninsula-project

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #303 on: August 01, 2018, 10:31:15 AM »
CU article about the National Veterans Memorial and Museum (NVMM) naming their Museum Director ahead of the planned opening this Fall.  The new NVMM director is the former Director of Visitor Experience for the Smithsonian Institution in Washington.  The article also contains this video of the NVMM building and grounds as they currently are, and as they will be after completion - plus a look at the museum's interior after completion:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/museum-director-announced-for-national-veterans-museum-and-memorial-ls1

#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Offline Pablo

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #304 on: August 01, 2018, 04:09:04 PM »
CDDC seeks developers to build out pieces of its vision for Scioto Peninsula

Following the collapse of a deal for one company to develop city property on the Scioto Peninsula, the city’s development arm is tackling the project building by building.

The Columbus Downtown Development Corporation has issued requests for proposals from developers to build the first phase of the 21-acre project west of COSI Columbus.

The move comes after the city’s deal fell through with Buckingham Companies of Indianapolis to develop the entire site in a grand $500-million mini-city that included up to 1,700 apartments along with offices, a hotel, shops and restaurants.

http://www.dispatch.com/business/20180801/group-seeks-developers-to-build-out-pieces-of-its-vision-for-scioto-peninsula

Offline casey

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #305 on: August 04, 2018, 09:35:55 AM »
^^ That video run-through of the NVMM kind of has me worried. It just seems like there's not really enough there, there

From what it shows, and given the small size of the building, I'm skeptical that it will really be a major attraction at all. Something to maybe check out once, but I don't see how that is really going to be a sustainable draw

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, and it's a smash success, but... They won't have a large permanent collection of military artifacts, most of the exhibits appear to be video/storytelling based, will there be major travelling exhibits, and of what? there appears to be no space for that, the building is only a museum, not a provider of veterans services like the old memorial was, etc, etc...

Am I way off base? Does this actually look exciting to anyone? Would you buy a membership and consistently go down and visit this museum?

Offline Toddguy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #306 on: August 04, 2018, 11:29:46 AM »
^^ That video run-through of the NVMM kind of has me worried. It just seems like there's not really enough there, there

From what it shows, and given the small size of the building, I'm skeptical that it will really be a major attraction at all. Something to maybe check out once, but I don't see how that is really going to be a sustainable draw

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, and it's a smash success, but... They won't have a large permanent collection of military artifacts, most of the exhibits appear to be video/storytelling based, will there be major travelling exhibits, and of what? there appears to be no space for that, the building is only a museum, not a provider of veterans services like the old memorial was, etc, etc...

Am I way off base? Does this actually look exciting to anyone? Would you buy a membership and consistently go down and visit this museum?

I was a thinking the same thing a bit. They mention the 30,000 square feet and also mention artifacts as well with the exhibits. I am hoping that they just simplified things since this was not a real video but really a sort of animation and that is why it appears so...sparse in the video. You know how that can go sometimes. The video also has all those people walking up the ramp...but to what?-there are no people at the top and nothing is going on there. Hopefully it will be a bit more 'filled up' than it looks on the inside.

Is there a site we can check out that will give more info about what the place will actually contain?

I also think they made it clear at the beginning of all of this that it will not be a space for veteran's services, and that those services would be located somewhere else?

The rather small square footage of the building(compared to the nearly 300,000 square feet of COSI)is a bit troubling. I wish we had more concise info.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:34:21 AM by Toddguy »

Offline jonoh81

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #307 on: August 04, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »
It's a cool building, but I always thought it was tiny compared to the size of the overall site.  It's not even as big, I believe, as the former Vets Memorial building.  I hope it's a success, and perhaps there be future growth on the site to add more, but that remains to be seen.  They snagged a decent director.  Let's see what he can do with it.

Offline casey

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #308 on: August 04, 2018, 04:40:31 PM »
^ No there was never a plan for veterans services to be located here, I just mentioned that because it was something the old building contained, and would also be a reliable driver of at least some traffic on a daily basis. As it is, I'm struggling to see how this place is going to get anyone besides busloads of schoolkids through the doors on a consistent basis. What is the draw? If you look at their facebook page, the plans and photos of the exhibits are pretty much just what's shown in the video. Basically, I'm worried what we see is going to be what we'll get, which is not much honestly. This could be Cincinnati's Freedom Center 2.0...

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2018, 05:31:32 PM »
http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180816/new-national-veterans-memorial-will-open-at-end-of-october

The $82 million National Veterans Memorial and Museum has an opening day: October 27.

Museum officials announced that the opening and dedication of the 53,000-square-foot museum — on West Broad Street across from COSI Columbus — will take place from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. with retired Army general and former Secretary of State Colin Powell set to give the keynote address.  The museum will stay open until 9 p.m. after the ceremony for the public to get its first look.

More details about the opening and dedication will be added as available at www.nationalvmm.org.
#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Offline casey

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »
In addition to my concerns above, their website is really awful and amateur looking. I hope it gets thoroughly reworked before the opening...

Offline Toddguy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #311 on: September 18, 2018, 11:14:49 PM »
Good God...it is only 53,000 square feet...but EIGHTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS!!! Damn. That is over 1500 dollars a square foot! Seems really pricey for such a small building.  I hope it can somehow live up to it's hype.

Offline FudgeRounds

• Excavation Site
« Reply #312 on: September 19, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »
Good God...it is only 53,000 square feet...but EIGHTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS!!! Damn. That is over 1500 dollars a square foot! Seems really pricey for such a small building.  I hope it can somehow live up to it's hype.

Maybe 53K is only for the museum part of the building, and not the entire thing? I'm assuming there's event space and probably offices in there as well.

Offline casey

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #313 on: September 19, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »
No 53k is the entire building. And of that only 30k is exhibit space...