Author Topic: Cleveland Indians Discussion  (Read 43995 times)

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland Indians Discussion
« Reply #4890 on: April 10, 2018, 01:20:20 PM »
I don't get the big deal about them changing the logo.  Teams and businesses change their logos all the time.  It's just a cartoon people.  Life will go on without Wahoo.

The sad part (for the Native Americans) is Wahoo will still be in the stands, on shirts and other merchandise, around the ballpark, etc.  Literally the only place he won't be is on the field.  It's a baby step for them.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4891 on: April 10, 2018, 02:55:08 PM »
^ true enough -- i still have a brownie sweatshirt for the browns. old logos throw back and hang around.

i've already come around to the block c hat. it looks fine. hopefully that wont offend anybody in 50yrs.

if indians picks up in being offensive i guess we could always switch to the natives or first nationers. or spiders. or naps. hullets. clevelanders??

on the horizon, i find the completely soulless corporate team crap like for example the mighty ducks and raptors offensive too. when is somebody gonna call that out? oh wait, ducks and dinosaurs. i guess never. oh well.

let's just leave this pc mess at the washington redskins feet for now.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4892 on: April 10, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
except the opposing camp is in wrong, thats why they are stooping lower and cursing at them.

the whole thing is moot anyway because wahoo is going away.

No he's not.  The fans won't allow it to.  It's become a point of principle to a significant part of the fan base, and no one does stubborn like a Cleveland fan.

They're also not wrong.   Just because a small group decides something is "offensive" doesn't make it so.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4893 on: April 10, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »
^peaceful protests are not "seeking out" that type of anger.  Peaceful protests seek out conversation, opening up impressionable and dense minds to a different perspective. Getting people to try to understand how others outside their bubbles feel about something.   Some crowds that just doesn't resonate with.

That wasn't "peaceful".   It wasn't violent either.  I suppose the right term is "confrontational".   They got back pretty much what they put out, except rawer.

Online BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4894 on: April 10, 2018, 08:24:40 PM »
Come on. Ive seen those folks for 20 years. They stand their with signs and do harmless chants that fit their agenda.  They dont yell F you over and over again and grab their crotches

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4895 on: April 10, 2018, 10:14:14 PM »
Come on. Ive seen those folks for 20 years. They stand their with signs and do harmless chants that fit their agenda.  They dont yell F you over and over again and grab their crotches

If you ever get a chance to talk to Bob Roche, the leader of the anti-Wahoo movement, he is a genuinely sweet and well-spoken man. 

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4896 on: April 11, 2018, 08:59:27 AM »

If it's a "demand" presented in the adversary's camp, it's confrontational.

They also haven't been drinking.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4897 on: April 11, 2018, 09:02:28 AM »
College kids respond to actual nazis= snowflakes shouldn't respond.   

Peaceful group asking to change name and get rid of cartoon logo =  they deserve whatever hate they get.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4898 on: April 11, 2018, 09:02:34 AM »

If you ever get a chance to talk to Bob Roche, the leader of the anti-Wahoo movement, he is a genuinely sweet and well-spoken man. 

While neither of us would convince the other, I would ask what has changed since 1989, when "Major League" came out.   IIRC it garnered zero protests.

My answer to that question is we've become more thin skinned as a people, to the point of seeking "offense" when none exists.  This has become a virtue to some.  This is toxic in a pluralistic society and we are seeing those poisonous results.   This is as good a place to push back as any.

Offline bumsquare

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #4899 on: April 11, 2018, 09:34:12 AM »

While neither of us would convince the other, I would ask what has changed since 1989, when "Major League" came out.   IIRC it garnered zero protests.

My answer to that question is we've become more thin skinned as a people, to the point of seeking "offense" when none exists.  This has become a virtue to some.  This is toxic in a pluralistic society and we are seeing those poisonous results.   This is as good a place to push back as any.

I agree, pretending to be offended by people protesting a sports mascot is very thin skinned, toxic, and stupid.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4900 on: April 11, 2018, 09:46:45 AM »
Saying that no one protested before but they are now is a weak argument.  One could say that about any group that decided to protest something.  Why did black people wait until the 60s to protest their civil rights.  What changed?  I guess they just more think skinned about having to drink from different water fountains.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4901 on: April 11, 2018, 09:50:21 AM »
They're also not wrong.   Just because a small group decides something is "offensive" doesn't make it so.

That is quite literally how something is deemed offensive.

Online BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4902 on: April 11, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »

This is what i dont understand.  Who cares if we have become thin skinned? i think also think its presumptuous to say there is no offense.  There are two groups here:  There are actual native americans who are indeed offended (AND YES, i also understand that there are native americans who are NOT offended), and there is the vocal crowd that shows empathy toward the offended group.  For the most part, the Pro-wahoo crowd hates the latter more than the former.  Empathy is a fine quality to have.  Being able to listen and understand why someone feels the way they do doesnt make us thin skinned.  It actually makes us smarter.

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4903 on: April 11, 2018, 11:54:38 AM »
In the end, the Pro-Wahoo crowd really aren't Pro-Wahoo. They're just looking for a reason to be pissed off, blame Obama or libtards for this oh-so-unfair overly politically correct world, and justify ugly behavior. We all know the type.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4904 on: April 11, 2018, 11:59:25 AM »

Few people alive today grew up with Cowboys & Indians as a popular genre.  In 1989, that proportion was different.  I'll grant a non-racist original intent for the team name and logo, but throughout its existence it has clearly traded on old timey anti-Native sentiments.  Those sentiments are pretty much gone now.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4905 on: April 13, 2018, 07:19:29 AM »
except the opposing camp is in wrong, thats why they are stooping lower and cursing at them.

the whole thing is moot anyway because wahoo is going away.

No he's not.  The fans won't allow it to.  It's become a point of principle to a significant part of the fan base, and no one does stubborn like a Cleveland fan.

yes wahoo most certainly is going away. off the uniforms is gone. and that because of far more than the small group of protestors at the games.

dont be surprized when they go after the indians team name too.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4906 on: April 23, 2018, 03:11:17 PM »
Sad news.

Davey Nelson, former Cleveland Indians player, coach, broadcaster, dies at 73

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Former Cleveland Indians player, coach and broadcaster Davey Nelson has died after a long illness. He was 73.

Nelson, who will forever be remembered in Cleveland as the first base coach on the Tribe's two World Series teams in the mid-1990s, moved to the radio broadcast booth as part of a three-man team with Tom Hamilton and Mike Hegan from 1998-1999.

With Nelson coaching first base, Indians leadoff hitter Kenny Lofton averaged 65 stolen bases per season from 1992-1996 and was caught stealing an average of 14 times. Omar Vizquel averaged 30 steals and nine times caught stealing from 1994-1997 with Nelson at first base.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2018/04/davey_nelson_former_cleveland.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4907 on: May 04, 2018, 03:05:07 PM »
miller back on roster sunday, we could sure use him.

danny salazar on the 60 day dl.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4908 on: June 18, 2018, 01:20:12 PM »
carrasco has some luck. hit in the elbow by a ball and now on the dl. and who knows when miller can come back? whoa the pain of those pitching woes. even brandon guyer pitched the other day lol.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #4909 on: June 24, 2018, 04:14:21 PM »
In this series vs Detroit, the Indians have outscored the Tigers 26-3. And the Tribe has outscored the opposition 54-9 in this 7-game winning streak!
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline Mendo

« Reply #4910 on: June 24, 2018, 06:30:08 PM »
Get fat on the crappy division teams.

Offline AmrapinVA

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #4911 on: July 11, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »
Indians up 17-0 on the Reds in the 4th. Can the bullpen blow this lead? I say theres a 30% chance! :)

Offline Jimmy Skinner

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #4912 on: July 11, 2018, 10:13:58 PM »
19-2 bottom of the 7th

Offline Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #4913 on: July 12, 2018, 09:40:17 AM »
Woo boy. 19 runs, that's insane!

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4914 on: Yesterday at 11:25:28 AM »
Ken Rosenthal reporting that Brad Hand is on the way to the Indians, Mejia to SD.

Offline stpats44113

• Premium Member
« Reply #4915 on: Yesterday at 11:36:37 AM »
Ken Rosenthal reporting that Brad Hand is on the way to the Indians, Mejia to SD.

I believe Hand just signed a new contract. I like the move.

Offline plinth857

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #4916 on: Yesterday at 11:44:51 AM »

I believe Hand just signed a new contract. I like the move.

We're getting two MLB relievers!  Hand AND Cimber.  Good job, Chernoff!