Author Topic: Cincinnati: Bars / Nightlife News  (Read 30625 times)

Offline GCrites80s

• Premium Member
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
Re: Cincinnati: Bars / Nightlife News
« Reply #990 on: August 22, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »
Yes. That was the place when I lived around the corner in the mid 2000s. And it looks like it didn't get hipsterized.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #991 on: August 30, 2018, 04:36:47 PM »
Scottish craft brewery opening Cincinnati bar

A Scottish craft brewery with its U.S. headquarters in Columbus is coming to the Queen City with a bar in Cincinnati's Pendleton neighborhood.

BrewDog, which is based in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, with its U.S. headquarters in Canal Winchester, Ohio, has a lease for its first U.S. DogTap bar outside of Central Ohio in Pendleton. BrewDog U.S. CEO Tanisha Robinson said this in a statement:

"BrewDog Cincinnati is in the works! Cincinnati has an amazing craft beer scene, so we thought it only made sense for the Queen City to be our first site outside of Columbus. Lots more to come, so stay tuned, Cincy!”

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/08/30/scottish-craft-brewery-opening-cincinnati-bar.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #992 on: September 11, 2018, 02:11:34 PM »
Neighborhood bar opening adjacent to Washington Park

A neighborhood bar inspired by Cincinnati's historic streetcar is opening adjacent to Washington Park.

Cobblestone OTR is coming to 1132 Race St. with hopes of opening by the end of October. The owners aim for it to be a comfortable neighborhood bar serving up craft beer, a solid liquor list and yes, even Bud Light on draft.

"You're there for the neighborhood," Mark Farris told me. "Yes, everyone coming in from the 'burbs on the weekends is fantastic, but if you're walking home from work and want a drink, I want you to think of Cobblestone."

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/09/11/exclusive-neighborhood-bar-opening-adjacent-to.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline bfwissel

• Premium Member
  • One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #993 on: September 11, 2018, 03:05:45 PM »
That was the former 1132 [crack] Bar.  Glad to hear it's opening as a legitimate business, but unfortunately the owners of the former crack bar still own the building.  I'm hoping the people who are opening this bar are careful with their lease with those sleaze bags.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #994 on: September 11, 2018, 03:12:03 PM »
Someone should tell them that the exposed surface on Elm Street is not cobblestone, but rather Belgian block.

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #995 on: September 11, 2018, 03:18:40 PM »
Glad they're adding some businesses to that area.  With this, the new ice cream place and the potential restaurant spot hopefully it gives some life to that street and pushes out the drug sellers/addicts that have been hanging around there.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #996 on: September 13, 2018, 02:42:04 PM »
Not really a bar but maybe nightlife?

Downtown movie theater opens this weekend

Downtown Cincinnati’s only movie theater is now open, with the public being able to attend screenings by Cincinnati World Cinema at the Garfield at 719 Race St., starting this weekend.

The theater will show films that are not playing elsewhere in town with some classics. 75, a movie about the heroin crisis in Southwest Ohio as it takes place along Interstate 75 that first premiered at the Cannes Film Festival, is currently showing.

“The Cincinnati cast and crew have created a hard-hitting story with nuanced direction and powerful performances from a talented ensemble cast,” according to the summary. “Building on a gripping screenplay with an excellent score, the pace and tension produce a cinema-verite drama that unfolds in real life.”

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/09/13/photos-downtown-movie-theater-opens-this-weekend.html

Offline Mildtraumatic

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #997 on: September 13, 2018, 03:39:42 PM »
What time do bar/clubs close at night in Cincinnati, 10:30?

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #998 on: September 13, 2018, 04:17:23 PM »
The same time the rest of Ohio cities' bars/clubs close.  Where did you get 10:30 from?

Offline Mildtraumatic

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #999 on: September 13, 2018, 04:59:43 PM »
The same time the rest of Ohio cities' bars/clubs close.  Where did you get 10:30 from?
Word of mouth long time ago, something like:"Man, Cincinnati is conservative dude, added bunch of stuff why it was that I don't remember but at end said, "bars have to close at 10:30 there even."  memory add on edit.  "They have to go over to Kentucky to party." Remember thinking wow Cincinnati has to party in Kentucky because of it being less conservative?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:14:03 PM by Mildtraumatic »

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1000 on: September 13, 2018, 05:17:33 PM »
Kentucky has great areas that are definitely worth visiting, but it's not because of hours. Cincy is no different than anywhere else. Sounds like someone who had one experience and applied it to the entire city then refused to actually verify that experience against others.

The actual city of Cincinnati, and especially the areas with heavy nightlife, aren't conservative.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #1001 on: September 13, 2018, 05:17:59 PM »
Word of mouth long time ago, something like:"Man, Cincinnati is conservative dude, added bunch of stuff why it was that I don't remember but at end said, "bars have to close at 10:30 there even."  memory add on edit.  "They have to go over to Kentucky to party." Remember thinking wow Cincinnati has to party in Kentucky because of it being less conservative?

Yeah, that's false.  I don't know any bar that closes at 10:30 in Cincinnati.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1002 on: September 13, 2018, 05:22:24 PM »
Sounds like somebody making up their own alternative explanation for why much of the nightlife moved to Northern Kentucky in the mid-2000s. Fast forward to today and Newport isn't doing too hot, and OTR is thriving.

Offline Mildtraumatic

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1003 on: September 13, 2018, 05:32:53 PM »

Yeah, that's false.  I don't know any bar that closes at 10:30 in Cincinnati.
Ever since then I was wondering. I went to a bar downtown around 2003 I believe and had a great time after Indians-Reds game and had a great time. Remember a guy playing acoustic guitar and singing, Old Apartment outside on the sidewalk. Had a great time but didn't think about closing time or to look at my watch. It may have been earlier, it was at old riverfront stadium.

Offline thomasbw

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1004 on: September 13, 2018, 07:13:46 PM »
Basically all bars in Ohio have to close at 2:30am there's an exception for qualified major events in Franklin and Cuyahoga Counties that allow them to stay open until 4am but I don't know if this is ever used.

This is a statewide forum, did they do that for the RNC in Cleveland or any other events?

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1005 on: September 13, 2018, 07:18:42 PM »
In the fall, due to the time change, Ohio's bars stay open, in effect, until 3:30am.  In the spring, the opposite occurs.  Yes, they actually kick everyone out at 1:30am. 

..and so the people riot:

Offline thomasbw

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1006 on: September 13, 2018, 07:46:51 PM »
^they stop sales at 1:59am on Spring ahead

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1007 on: September 13, 2018, 08:16:57 PM »
^they stop sales at 1:59am on Spring ahead

This article is incorrect.  There absolutely was a semi-violet street takeover in 2003.  I was there.  I have pictures.  It was caused when a non-OU student happened to drive down Court St. in a very large pickup truck.  A girl ran out and kissed him on the cheek.  He revved his engine and a second later the 300-400 people gathered on the sidewalk spilled into the street, blocked traffic, and duked it out with police.  I personally witnessed a guy get bitten by a police horse.  Also, the whole episode was animated by someone with a huge sound system repeatedly playing "Bombs Over Baghdad" out of his apartment window. 
https://www.athensnews.com/opinion/wearing_thin/police-strategy-evolved-for-time-change-riots-back-then-spring/article_0355e542-27aa-11e8-807b-af01f0e884d3.html

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1008 on: September 13, 2018, 08:18:22 PM »
What time do bar/clubs close at night in Cincinnati, 10:30?
Good one

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1009 on: September 13, 2018, 09:30:22 PM »
All of the bars actually did close in England around 10pm until the late 1990s.  I was living in the international student dorm when the law was changed and the guys from England were pretty hyped. 

Offline GCrites80s

• Premium Member
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #1010 on: September 13, 2018, 09:50:23 PM »
Taprooms are usually dead by 11:30.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1011 on: September 14, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »
All of the bars actually did close in England around 10pm until the late 1990s.  I was living in the international student dorm when the law was changed and the guys from England were pretty hyped. 

I was just in London last week and was amazed at how early things died down. The reality is that they start earlier, but still. By 11 or so even the neighborhood we were staying in, supposedly known for nightlife, was pretty quiet well before midnight.

I've met several British people while living here in NYC and they all question the point of having bars open until 4 AM and starting your night at 11 PM or midnight. I don't necessarily disagree with them haha. Going out in NYC is a challenge for that very reason. If you don't nap ahead of it you aren't going to make it all the way through without feeling groggy and lethargic.

Offline GCrites80s

• Premium Member
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #1012 on: September 14, 2018, 10:53:54 AM »
British people instead go bonkers late at night in the rest of Europe. Spain and The Netherlands tire of them.

Offline neilworms

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1013 on: September 14, 2018, 11:06:19 AM »
What really shocked me is that San Francisco's bars close at 2:00 am as well.   If there was one place I thought wouldn't have last call its there.

The only cities I'm aware of with a very late last call are Chicago (two tiered system, there are bar liscenses for 4am and 2am bars with some 6 am bars grandfathered in), New York, New Orleans, Las Vegas, and I actually heard from a someone that Louisville allows for late night bars is that right?

Offline GCrites80s

• Premium Member
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #1014 on: September 14, 2018, 11:09:32 AM »
West Virginia goes 'til 3:30 and they use that extra hour to give any "lightweight" Ohioans present a good ball busting.

Offline DEPACincy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1015 on: September 14, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »
What really shocked me is that San Francisco's bars close at 2:00 am as well.   If there was one place I thought wouldn't have last call its there.

The only cities I'm aware of with a very late last call are Chicago (two tiered system, there are bar liscenses for 4am and 2am bars with some 6 am bars grandfathered in), New York, New Orleans, Las Vegas, and I actually heard from a someone that Louisville allows for late night bars is that right?

Correct on Louisville. Philly also has a private club loophole. Private clubs can stay open until 3am. Some bars charge a cover and call it a "membership fee."

Online subocincy

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1016 on: September 14, 2018, 02:24:08 PM »
 FWIW, two upscale Cincinnati bars were ranked among "the world's best."  They were also the only ones from Ohio to make this list.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/09/14/two-cincinnati-drinkeries-named-worlds-best-bars.html

Offline Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1017 on: September 14, 2018, 02:50:33 PM »
New Jersey bars close at 1 on weeknights and 3 on weekends.

Online subocincy

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1018 on: September 17, 2018, 01:14:57 PM »

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1019 on: September 17, 2018, 01:33:43 PM »
From the same owners as gypsies. Those are great, great people running this new establishment.

I'm glad the cincy scene is getting some more lqbtq clubs/bars. Cincy has such a strong gay population, that it's a shame that the only legit place anywhere in the urban core for the gay community is below zero. Heck, even smaller Ohio cities like dayton have more gay oriented clubs. Finally catching up a bit to other ohio cities at least!