PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame News & Discussion  (Read 1980 times)

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame News & Discussion
« Reply #450 on: April 20, 2015, 06:20:36 AM »
There was a fun (though most likely apocryphal) story on Jeff Kinsbach’s show this morning.  Supposedly security came into one of the men’s rooms and asked everyone to finish and clear out so Yoko Ono could pee, the ladies’ room lines being long.

Someone ….allegedly….said to have her “sing”, that would clear the place out.

Miley Cyrus’s conduct was as many expected.  I was actually surprised, I would have thought her people would have seen this as a great high profile place to tone it down a bit.  I doubt Joan Jett objected too much, though. 

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #451 on: April 20, 2015, 10:51:49 AM »
I am definitely going. The musical lineup is unbelievable.

did you go? did you get any pics you could post for us? or anybody else maybe??

seems like everything went off well from the media write-ups.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #452 on: April 20, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
here's a 'reality' review you probably wont hear about from somebody who attended that i saw on another forum:

Re: RRHOF Induction Ceremony
New postby Roulette99 on Apr 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Ha, didn't know there was a setlist watch for this! HBO is going to have fun editing it down from the 5-1/2 hours of speeches and music. Bill Withers was very funny. I was glad he got on stage and sang even that little bit. I think Joan Jett thanked every single person she ever met. Green Day rocked it out and they had a lot of fans in the audience. Morello had a nice solo during the Paul Butterfield set. I knew Paul and Ringo would be funny since neither one of them are great at these sort of speeches and they didn't disappoint me.  :wink:

they had very long and awkward set changes for the songs for Ringo. he had to stand on stage and improvise while they took forever to set up between Green Day's equipment and the stuff for the last two songs. Ringo paced around the stage just talking but it was awkward and he eventually got tired of doing it and just walked off. It seemed very disorganized for an event like that. Wonder if HBO will show that footage?

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #453 on: April 20, 2015, 11:36:46 AM »
and here is the setlist:

JOAN JETT
1. Bad Reputation
2. Cherry Bomb (with Dave Grohl and Gary Ryan)
3. Crimson and Clover (with Tommy James and Miley Cyrus)
TRIBUTE TO THE PAUL BUTTERFIELD BLUES BAND
4. Born In Chicago (Zac Brown, Tom Morello, and Jason Ricci)
5. Got My Mojo Workin' (Sam Lay, Mark Naftalin, and Elvin Bishop)
TRIBUTE TO STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN
6. Pride & Joy (Doyle Bramhall II, Gary Clark Jr., Jimmy Vaughan, John Mayer, and Double Trouble)
7. Texas Flood (Doyle Bramhall II, Gary Clark Jr., Jimmy Vaughan, John Mayer, and Double Trouble)
8. Six Strings Down (Doyle Bramhall II, Gary Clark Jr., Jimmy Vaughan, John Mayer, and Double Trouble)
GREEN DAY
9. American Idiot
10. When I Come Around
11. Basket Case
TRIBUTE TO The "5" ROYALES
12. Dedicated To The One I Love (Leon Bridges)(also dedicated to those who passed over the past year)
TRIBUTE TO PERCY SLEDGE
13. When A Man Loves A Woman (Leon Bridges)
LOU REED
14. Vicious (Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
15. Satellite of Love (Beck w/Nate Reuss)[/quote]
BILL WITHERS
16. Ain't No Sunshine (Stevie Wonder, who starts song in wrong key, stops, then starts again to nail it)
17. Use Me (John Legend w/Stevie Wonder on piano)
18. Lean On Me (John Legend and Stevie Wonder, with Bill Withers joining on the final chorus)
RINGO STARR
19. Boys (with Green Day)
20. It Don't Come Easy (w/Joe Walsh)
21. With a Little Help From My Friends (w/Paul McCartney and various performers and presenters)
22. I Wanna Be Your Man (w/everyone again)

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #455 on: April 20, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »
Ringo sends a special shout-out to Pete Best:

Offline stpats44113

• Premium Member
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #456 on: April 20, 2015, 08:49:30 PM »
I did go. It was a hell of a show. My wife took most of the pics. I'll see what she has on her phone.

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #457 on: May 12, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
HBO trailer for induction ceremony.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #458 on: May 12, 2015, 08:20:39 AM »
^^Seeing Ringo and Paul on stage together would have been worth the price of admission for me.

Offline smith

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #459 on: May 31, 2015, 09:45:56 AM »
This was on HBO last night. I wish i could've gone. Really liked Beck singing Satellite of Love and I can never have enough Gary Clark Jr.  Here's a write up which incorporates mentions of seeing  a few things around Cleveland in the show review.

http://www.avclub.com/article/music-industry-plays-itself-2015-rock-and-roll-hal-218295
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:46:24 AM by smith »

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #460 on: April 08, 2016, 08:14:24 AM »

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #461 on: February 09, 2017, 10:06:05 PM »
Chris and Sara Connor commit $9 million to the Rock Hall

The gift, the largest from an individual in the organization's 21-year history, will support the ongoing transformation efforts at the Rock Hall that started in 2015. The Connor Theater, which is part of a $13.3 million investment to be unveiled this spring and summer, will host the Rock Hall's 'Power of Rock Experience.'

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170209/NEWS/170209806/chris-and-sara-connor-commit-9-million-to-the-rock-hall

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #462 on: June 29, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »
Opening of Rock Hall's new theatre today with a film by the great director Johnathon Demme who we unfortunately lost a few short months ago.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/oi58QPM6Prk[/youtube]

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #463 on: June 29, 2017, 09:31:48 PM »
^Its called Connor Theater? So we have TWO theaters called Connor Downtown? Is this same Connor as at Playhouse Square? If so, does he need to see his name everywhere?

Offline TPH2

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #464 on: June 29, 2017, 09:41:31 PM »
^Its called Connor Theater? So we have TWO theaters called Connor Downtown? Is this same Connor as at Playhouse Square? If so, does he need to see his name everywhere?

Yes, it's the same family. And technically the one at PHS is the "Connor Palace," not the Connor Theater.

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #466 on: July 10, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
^ that was a fantastic article. it would be great to fix that block up rather than knock it down. or at least keep a retro 'vous facade up.

here is a positive new rrhof theater review i saw from a music blog - edited a bit:

*** caution may be spoilers ***

Postby rgunners on Jul 09, 2017 9:50 pm

There are two parts to the "experience" that Demme put together. Before you head into the state of the art theater (I have NEVER heard sound quite as crisp and powerful), you stand on a runway of sorts. As you look up, there are clips from the induction speeches from throughout the history of the induction ceremonies. That itself is a new film as I recall the one that used to be available for viewing had much longer clips. I watched so much video during my day at the museum.

It is a little awkward to be looking up at this part of the film but the sound is fantastic as it is coming at you from multiple angles down on the runway.

The runway part of the experience is about 15 minutes long and the ending is the perfect tease for what takes place in the theater.

When you enter the theater itself, it is bleacher style seating. The room is pretty small given the size of the screen and ... well ... you've never heard anything like this before. Never.

This film is a little longer than the piece you watch outside the theater but it way too short, in my opinion. It could've been 3 hours and I would've been riveted throughout. The clips from the jam sessions themselves are pretty short with the exception of the last one. I think it's best if you go in NOT knowing how it ends but it is indisputably the greatest moment in the history of those legendary jam sessions.

There are also great pictures - some with quotes - on the wall as you exit the theater along a spiral ramp. The last picture is a fitting tribute to Demme.

Again, it is far too short and you will definitely leave wanting more. But my oh my ... the sound and visual presentation lives up to the hype.

This is my 4th trip to the hall. I was at the grand opening and have (not quite intentionally) spread out my other 3 visits pretty evenly. I know of no other museum that is so fluid in their presentations. You expect any museum to have rotation major exhibitions but I am amazed by the amount of new content and redesign with each visit. I've never spent less than 4 hours in the museum when visiting and it is never enough.

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #467 on: July 11, 2017, 06:30:15 AM »
^ that was a fantastic article. it would be great to fix that block up rather than knock it down. or at least keep a retro 'vous facade up.

here is a positive new rrhof theater review i saw from a music blog - edited a bit:

*** caution may be spoilers ***

Postby rgunners on Jul 09, 2017 9:50 pm

There are two parts to the "experience" that Demme put together. Before you head into the state of the art theater (I have NEVER heard sound quite as crisp and powerful), you stand on a runway of sorts. As you look up, there are clips from the induction speeches from throughout the history of the induction ceremonies. That itself is a new film as I recall the one that used to be available for viewing had much longer clips. I watched so much video during my day at the museum.

It is a little awkward to be looking up at this part of the film but the sound is fantastic as it is coming at you from multiple angles down on the runway.

The runway part of the experience is about 15 minutes long and the ending is the perfect tease for what takes place in the theater.

When you enter the theater itself, it is bleacher style seating. The room is pretty small given the size of the screen and ... well ... you've never heard anything like this before. Never.

This film is a little longer than the piece you watch outside the theater but it way too short, in my opinion. It could've been 3 hours and I would've been riveted throughout. The clips from the jam sessions themselves are pretty short with the exception of the last one. I think it's best if you go in NOT knowing how it ends but it is indisputably the greatest moment in the history of those legendary jam sessions.

There are also great pictures - some with quotes - on the wall as you exit the theater along a spiral ramp. The last picture is a fitting tribute to Demme.

Again, it is far too short and you will definitely leave wanting more. But my oh my ... the sound and visual presentation lives up to the hype.

This is my 4th trip to the hall. I was at the grand opening and have (not quite intentionally) spread out my other 3 visits pretty evenly. I know of no other museum that is so fluid in their presentations. You expect any museum to have rotation major exhibitions but I am amazed by the amount of new content and redesign with each visit. I've never spent less than 4 hours in the museum when visiting and it is never enough.

Good pairing of stories.   It's frustrating enough that people think of Elvis (4 years later) as some sort of pioneer when the reality is he wasn't even the Beatles he was the Monkees (in a way Freed despised).  But as undercredited as Freed can be, Leo Mintz's role is an order of magnitude more underrated.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #468 on: November 20, 2017, 09:56:57 PM »
Sex Pistols guitarist thinks the Rock Hall of Fame is in Akron (4:50):

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #469 on: November 22, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »

Well the band *did* melt down before they ever made it to Cleveland, which IIRC was one of the first couple of places they were to play in the US.   I fully intended to find a way to go too.   It would have been my first concert.

Online OC17

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #470 on: November 22, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »

It wasn't that bad.  What a surprise a member of the Sex Pistols stumbled with Akron, then went with Cleveland as to the location of the Rock Hall; Sex Pistols don't like the Rock Hall, they didn't show up for induction.  Of course none of them would be sure where the Rock Hall is.  You must not be familiar with the Sex Pistols otherwise,  what's the point of this post?  At least he got the geography right and knows Akron and Cleveland are adjacent to each other.  Could have been a fake as well; he would for sure act like he didn't know where it was.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 01:29:53 PM by OC17 »

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #471 on: November 22, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
^Sex Pistols guitarist?? I thought that was artist Julian Schnabel!

Online OC17

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #472 on: November 22, 2017, 01:21:37 PM »

Well the band *did* melt down before they ever made it to Cleveland, which IIRC was one of the first couple of places they were to play in the US.   I fully intended to find a way to go too.   It would have been my first concert.

Much happier that, as one example, Bowie broke first in Cleveland in the '70s.  Bowie's 1972 Ziggy Stardust Tour opened in Cleveland.  The '70s rock scene in Cleveland is legendary and Jimmy "The Greek" Swingos hotel at 18th/Euclid was ground zero for the bands and all the excess of 1970s rock-n-roll.  Swingos was the rock n roll party hotel for decades.

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #473 on: November 22, 2017, 01:32:02 PM »
Much happier that, as one example, Bowie broke first in Cleveland in the '70s.  Bowie's 1972 Ziggy Stardust Tour opened in Cleveland.  The '70s rock scene in Cleveland is legendary and Jimmy "The Greek" Swingos hotel at 18th/Euclid was ground zero for the bands and all the excess of 1970s rock-n-roll.  Swingos was the rock n roll party hotel for decades.

Truly classic movie and that's all true.  A lot of bands were big in Cleveland and then broke elsewhere, in fact success here got the attention of the national powers that be and it became a self fulfilling prophecy at times.

Unless you were from here.  That's the irony.  The national promoters knew Cleveland audiences were also partial to home grown bands and tended to consider local success as that, not a sign of bigger things.

Online roman totale XVII

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #474 on: November 22, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »

Reliable details are all over the place on the Sex Pistols '78 US Tour. Even their 'official' site doesn't even mention the Cleveland date at all. Apparently it was scheduled for Jan 1st and tickets exist to prove the fact, but got cancelled along with dates in Pittsburgh and Chicago following a delay in arriving in the country. It was supposedly rescheduled, date unknown, but they'd imploded by then. 'Never Mind The Bollocks' remains a great album to this day and still gets a regular airing in the Totale household. 'Bodies' is still the greatest punk song ever written.   

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #475 on: November 22, 2017, 02:22:27 PM »
'Bodies' is still the greatest punk song ever written.   

It's surely one of the greatest.  And there's quite a bit of irony that punk is considered very anti-conservative but despite latter day equivocations it's brutally anti-abortion.

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #476 on: December 13, 2017, 01:58:46 PM »
Sister Rosetta Tharpe inducted to Hall of Fame :)