Author Topic: Cleveland Cavs Discussion  (Read 78689 times)

Offline bumsquare

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Re: Cleveland Cavs Discussion
« Reply #8820 on: April 12, 2018, 12:44:31 PM »
We wouldnít have won the ring in 2016 without Tristan. Bad on the Cavs for paying on past performance, but he used to be a very valuable player. Heís clearly lost a step, but he used to be able to switch out onto guards and was an elite offensive rebounder. Those kinds of role players get paid. Hard for the Cavs to know heíd look washed when he should be entering his ostensible prime.

When he switches out on guards it usually ends up meaning the other team scores, whether it's the mismatch with his man being guarded by one of our guards or their guard making him look silly (just because his ability to stay with a quick little guy is better than average for a big man doesn't mean it's good).  Also, you're trading a handful of offensive rebounds for no other offensive talent.  And that's not to mention how awful he is rebounding at the other end of the floor.  He's an undersized big man who has no ability to score outside of 5 feet.  His hustle maybe should have earned him $5-$8 million a year, but you shouldn't get elite money with his skill set.  Now we're paying top dollar for a guy that we can hardly keep out on the floor.  I thought this was all very predictable at the time.

Thatís true this year but not the previous two years. He was an elite defender and the numbers back it up. His DBPM, VORP, and win shares were all excellent. Those defensive advanced metrics are more impressive considering his low defensive counting stats. His injuries clearly have taken a toll.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thomptr01.html

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8821 on: April 12, 2018, 02:28:34 PM »
First time posting a TMZ or "Bustle" on Urbanohio...or anywhere I think:

Khloe Kardashian Gives Birth to Baby Girl!! Tristan Was There

Khloe Kardashian has given birth to her first kid ... TMZ has learned.

Khloe delivered a baby girl early Thursday morning -- around 4 AM EDT -- at a hospital outside Cleveland ... according to our Kardashian sources. We're told the little girl does not have a name yet. Kourtney, Kim, Kris and Khloe's BFF Malika were by her side during the birth. Tristan Thompson was also there.

This is Khloe and the Cavaliers star's first baby together, but, of course, it comes smack in the middle of a tumultuous time for the couple.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/12/khloe-kardashian-gives-birth-baby-girl/

Will Khloe Kardashian Still Live In Cleveland? She Just Had Her Baby In The Ohio City

Big news: On Thursday, April 12, TMZ reported that Khloe Kardashian gave birth to a baby girl at a Cleveland, Ohio area hospital. (Bustle reached out to Kardashian's rep for comment, but did not receive an immediate response.) But will Khloe still live in Cleveland after the birth of her child? She may not remain in the city for long, according to several reports from earlier this week.

According to TMZ, Khloe gave birth to a baby girl at a hospital outside of Cleveland at around 4 a.m. ET. TMZ reported that the baby's father, NBA player Tristan Thompson, was there, as well as Kim Kardashian, Kourtney Kardashian, and Khloe's best friend Malika Haqq were there. The newborn's name has not yet been publicly announced by Khloe, nor has the birth of her daughter been officially announced or confirmed.

https://www.bustle.com/p/will-khloe-kardashian-still-live-in-cleveland-she-just-had-her-baby-in-the-ohio-city-8771972

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8822 on: April 12, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »
i'm much more of the belief that they they paid tt top dollar to keep lebron happy than for his stats.

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8823 on: April 12, 2018, 02:30:25 PM »
oh god lord cleveland now has its own bonafide kardashian kid lol.

Offline bumsquare

« Reply #8824 on: April 12, 2018, 02:31:04 PM »
i'm much more of the belief that they they paid tt top dollar to keep lebron happy than for his stats.

Not psyched to be the Tristan defender considering how terrible he is now, but he also got paid because he was a key contributor with a not easily replaceable skill set on a championship-wining team attempting to repeat.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8825 on: April 12, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »
oh god lord cleveland now has its own bonafide kardashian kid lol.

Only by birth.  Khloe was moved into Cleveland, but I suspect the family will be flying her and her daughter back to LA immediately...just hoping this drama doesn't effect the Cavs playoff run.

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8826 on: April 12, 2018, 02:33:24 PM »
that's a take, but even still it was not worthy of top dolla tho.

Online jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8827 on: April 15, 2018, 10:21:27 PM »
Thatís true this year but not the previous two years. He was an elite defender and the numbers back it up. His DBPM, VORP, and win shares were all excellent. Those defensive advanced metrics are more impressive considering his low defensive counting stats.

Directly from the page about these stats (https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm.html)...

What does this mean? Box Plus/Minus is good at measuring offense and solid overall, but the defensive numbers in particular should not be considered definitive.

I maintain that he was never a great defender.  Better than average maybe, but surely not worth paying top dollar for, especially considering his deficiencies on offense.

Online jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8828 on: April 15, 2018, 10:22:30 PM »
We sure sucked today.  But the good news is that we somehow hung around even though we couldn't make an open shot all game.  I think we win this series as long as we don't have a couple more off nights like we did today.

Offline Mendo

« Reply #8829 on: April 18, 2018, 11:10:19 PM »
Cavs win 100-97. Series now tied 1-1.

LeBron went 17/24 shooting for 46 points. The rest of the team 20/49 shooting. As has been the case all year, as LeBron goes, the team goes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:16:13 PM by Mendo »

Online BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8830 on: April 19, 2018, 09:47:34 AM »
Each game is different, so there is a chance the cavs can have an "on" game in Indy and win comfortably.  But they need someone else to step in and be consistent.  George Hill, Clarkson, Smith, Hood.  Anyone.  They role players performance has been very mediocre.  If they dont develop a flow, they will be lucky to get out of this series let alone make the finals.  Everything is always magnified immediatley after each game.  IN 2015, the cavs squeeked by Boston in games 1 and 2, last year, they squeeked by Indy in games 1 and 2.  They year they won it all, squeeked by Detroit in all 4 games.  The good thing about having Lebron is he seems to be the master and making adjustments (more than the coach).  They need to get some flow soon, however.

Offline AmrapinVA

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #8831 on: April 19, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »
Each game is different, so there is a chance the cavs can have an "on" game in Indy and win comfortably.  But they need someone else to step in and be consistent.  George Hill, Clarkson, Smith, Hood.  Anyone.  They role players performance has been very mediocre.  If they dont develop a flow, they will be lucky to get out of this series let alone make the finals.  Everything is always magnified immediatley after each game.  IN 2015, the cavs squeeked by Boston in games 1 and 2, last year, they squeeked by Indy in games 1 and 2.  They year they won it all, squeeked by Detroit in all 4 games.  The good thing about having Lebron is he seems to be the master and making adjustments (more than the coach).  They need to get some flow soon, however.

I agree. I remember the Pistons series in 2016. I believe it was the lowest point differential for a 4-0 sweep in NBA history. That series was a few Pistons bad breaks (and Andre Drummond free throws) away from being 2-2. I don't think the Cavs will average 90 PPG for the entire series. They will score more.

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8832 on: April 19, 2018, 12:04:45 PM »
yeah we cannot have one man shows from lebron all the way through. others have to step up. we could go down the list, but really its basically everybody else. both of these games were maddening in their own ways.

Offline AmrapinVA

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #8833 on: April 19, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »
yeah we cannot have one man shows from lebron all the way through. others have to step up. we could go down the list, but really its basically everybody else. both of these games were maddening in their own ways.

Korver had a good game. I agree about everyone else. Love had a so-so game 15pts+8rebs but that was over 34 minutes. He has to produce more. I also know he was hurt a bit after the three point foul when he landed on his ankle funny.

Those deadline aquisitions look pretty bad in the postseason so far.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:11:50 PM by AmrapinVA »

Online jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8834 on: April 19, 2018, 12:42:23 PM »
Love had a so-so game 15pts+8rebs but that was over 34 minutes.

He was 5-16 shooting, though.

Clarkson has been a huge disappointment so far in the playoffs as he has been a total non-factor.  Hood is about what we expected...a guy who can hit some shots but not much else.  Nance also as expected...not much better than TT on offense, but a little better defender.  I thought Hill played a decent game while he was in there, but he got a lot of fouls fast.  Calderon doesn't look very good either.

Jeff Green is abysmal right now.  I say we swap in Cedi.  At least he'll play solid defense.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:45:07 PM by jam40jeff »

Online BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8835 on: April 19, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »
I think Cedi is the type of guy who would make some huge game changing plays, either with defense, hustle or something that isnt sexy.  I also hate to say this, but, if these guys continue to look like players who have never played in playoff games before, you will probably have to play (gulp), Tristan.  Get some of that experience in there.

Online jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8836 on: April 19, 2018, 01:47:17 PM »
Speaking of game changing plays...I'm not sure we win if JR doesn't steal the ball from Oladipo and score late in the 4th.

Online BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8837 on: April 19, 2018, 02:04:56 PM »
Do you remember the strategy last year?  They doubled Paul George every time he got the ball.  Then did that to Derozan the next round, then IT in the finals.  I dont know why they arent doing that to Oladipo.  Double him up top every time

Online jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8838 on: April 19, 2018, 02:25:08 PM »
They did that only once last night...out by half court in the second half.  He got right of it right away and I believe they then turned the ball over.  So of course, we didn't try it again after that.

Online jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8839 on: April 25, 2018, 11:42:45 PM »
Lebron didn't even have a triple double tonight.  Weak.

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8840 on: April 26, 2018, 08:11:21 AM »
the big man with the mega minutes and the team on his back.

how far can this go?

ugh.

Online BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8841 on: April 26, 2018, 08:14:47 AM »
It can go far. This like the 2009 and 2010 version of Lebron, except he is now a champion and knows how to close.  I believe that Indiana will actually be the toughest series in the east.  Toronto has a major mental disadvantage with Lebron and philly is too young

Offline bumsquare

« Reply #8842 on: April 26, 2018, 09:45:25 AM »
It can go far. This like the 2009 and 2010 version of Lebron, except he is now a champion and knows how to close.  I believe that Indiana will actually be the toughest series in the east.  Toronto has a major mental disadvantage with Lebron and philly is too young

The 2009 team had shooting everywhere. Delonte, Wally Szczerbiak, Mo Williams, Boobie, and even Pavlovic all shot right around 40%, all on high volume. They also defended at a high level. Still canít believe they didnít win it all that year. 4th ranked offense, 3rd ranked defense.

This team has shooting with....Korver, I guess? I think Philly wipes the floor with us. They just have so much talent and added lots of veteran shooting. The Cavs just arenít very talented (or enjoyable).

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8843 on: April 26, 2018, 09:51:56 AM »
The 2009 team had shooting everywhere. Delonte, Wally Szczerbiak, Mo Williams, Boobie, and even Pavlovic all shot right around 40%, all on high volume. They also defended at a high level. Still canít believe they didnít win it all that year. 4th ranked offense, 3rd ranked defense.

They all shot sub-40% from 3 in the playoffs.

Offline AmrapinVA

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #8844 on: April 26, 2018, 09:53:08 AM »
If the Cavs are going to average 90-95PPG in the playoffs they won't make it past Toronto if they close this series. Something has to change. Toronto is 37-7 at home if you include the playoffs. I don't see the Raptors slugging it out to a 92-88 kind of game every night especially at Air Canada Centre.

In fairness though the Cavs have figured out something defensively. They let the Pacers average 108PPG in the regular season. Indy's highest scoring game so far in this series is 100.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:58:09 AM by AmrapinVA »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #8845 on: April 26, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »
Indiana always plays us tough in the playoffs. Look at how close all our games were with them were last year. So I'm not ready to declare this series over.

IF we make it past Indiana, I'm actually not worried about any other team except Philadelphia. Their only drawback is their lack of playoff experience, but they are learning fast and too many of the new Cavs players have little or no playoff experience either.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8846 on: April 26, 2018, 01:18:10 PM »
Wow.

Man, if Love could just show up on offense it would erase the need for all this heart wrenching drama.

I feel like the real hope for this team ended when the bold Wade/Crowder/Rose experiment failed. But agree with KJP, IF we make it past Indy this yet-to-gel team with no discernible offense is again repping the East.

Online BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8847 on: April 26, 2018, 01:27:33 PM »

They all shot sub-40% from 3 in the playoffs.

Correct. It doesnít matter how you shoot all season. It matters what you can find against that particular opponent.  The magic were better than the Cavs that year. Even look at the regular season games.

The Cavs are quietly building their toughness. They pulled a win last night with ZERO production from JR or Love.  All they need is for them to rebound Friday and this thing is over.

Toronto is good, but they have to look at Lebron and figure out how to beat him 5 out of 7, and he has essentially owned them for three straight years.  Donít downplay mental blocks in the NbA. Lebron has one against Boston for many years.

Philly is the future. But they canít beat the Cavs this year in 7.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #8848 on: April 26, 2018, 01:30:11 PM »
But this team had a prolific offense during the regular season. Its defense is what was abysmal. That's why no one was giving us a shot in the playoffs. Now the defense has picked it up but the offense has gone in the toilet. If JR could average 10-12 points a game to go along with his great defense and Love could get 14-18 points a game to go along with his excellent rebounding, this team would almost certainly return to the Finals.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline AmrapinVA

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #8849 on: April 26, 2018, 02:55:35 PM »
The Cavs can't average 93 PPG against the Raptors. They will lose the Toronto series regardless of Lowry and Co.'s mental blocks. Especially true with Toronto getting four home games.

If they can raise their offensive average by 10 points and extend this playoff lock down defense they have an excellent chance of getting the Finals. We'll see.