Author Topic: Greater Cleveland RTA News & Discussion  (Read 153660 times)

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Greater Cleveland RTA News & Discussion
« Reply #12570 on: August 01, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »
^ The issue with a land value tax is that it would require state action.  I do not believe that municipalities or counties can impose such a tax without a referendum.  I might be wrong on this.

I mentioned earlier that our peer cities have much higher hotel taxes.  I think this is the route to go.  Perhaps a countywide hotel tax.  I think this is the most politically feasible route to go.

I think a mix of small tax increases should be applied, including on rental cars, hotels, sales, property, plus the privatization of parking meters/lots and the creation of transit TIF corridors in which there are no minimum parking requirements and a share of any increased tax valuation of land and buildings starting on a future date will go to the transit TIF district to support expanded operations and capital improvements in that corridor.

EDIT: I forgot to put the word "no" before "minimum parking requirements." It would be an incentive to developers to not have to build so much parking and it would reduce the cost of housing by nearly $20,000 per parking space.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:47:05 PM by KJP »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12571 on: August 01, 2018, 10:54:37 AM »
^ If only we had some creative people at RTA willing to try to put this together instead of letting the agency whither on the vine.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12572 on: August 01, 2018, 12:48:14 PM »
^ If only we had some creative people at RTA willing to try to put this together instead of letting the agency whither on the vine.

There are at the staff level, but the board is scared of making mistakes (doesn't exactly lead to innovation) and unaware. It wasn't until recently that they knew they were a taxing authority and could place a levy on the ballot themselves. Problem is, the agency has no vision of its future because the GM has put the agency in triage/survival mode for so long. So no one yet knows what a levy would fund except survival/state of good repair.

RTA mulls its options for filling budget hole
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180731/news/170231/rta-mulls-its-options-filling-budget-hole
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:52:38 PM by KJP »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #12573 on: August 01, 2018, 01:49:23 PM »
I love the transit TIF corridors idea, @KJP. That could have been done ten years ago as part of the Euclid Corridor project.

Offline jtadams

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #12574 on: August 02, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »
Almost every tax in practice is regressive.  It is mainly the already prosperous who write all laws including tax laws.  But transit benefits downtown property owners more than most others, by significantly lowering the cost of commuting downtown, and hence the wages and salaries people are willing to accept in order to work there.  I would like to see some of this benefit captured somehow.  As a libertarian, I believe that if there must be taxes, they should be levied on those who benefit insofar as possible.  But there is one additional consideration.  People not served or benefited by transit are going to be MUCH less likely to support any tax increase that hurts them specifically.  If you're going to levy property *or* sales taxes countywide, or even region-wide, you had better have a plan for making those taxes benefit them as well.  I'm thinking (a) big increase but coupled with (b) big improvements in service, particularly for the 50% who allegedly have a choice and choose to ride RTA anyway.  A hotel, parking, gasoline, or downtown-oriented tax, insofar as these things are possible under Ohio law, is a lot simpler to sell. 

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12575 on: August 02, 2018, 02:47:22 PM »
I received a link from Clevelanders for Public Transit to write all the board members of RTA, etc. 

https://actionnetwork.org/letters/transit-levy-now?delivery_id=30185268

As an aside, how do we end up with Dennis Clough from Westlake as the President of the Board of our transit agency?

Offline cfdwarrior

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #12576 on: August 06, 2018, 10:05:05 AM »
A quote from a Charlotte business article..."Ron Tober, who started Charlotte Area Transit System in 1999, applauds current CEO John Lewis for taking an aggressive approach for building three additional rail lines in the near future."   
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:42:40 PM by cfdwarrior »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12577 on: August 06, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »
A quite from a Charlotte business article..."Ron Tober, who started Charlotte Area Transit System in 1999, applauds current CEO John Lewis for taking an aggressive approach for building three additional rail lines in the near future."   

A growing taxbase is a wonderful thing. GCRTA can ask taxpayers to expand its taxbase or continue to accept a life of scarcity by living within its shrinking means.

Offline yossarian

• Excavation Site
« Reply #12578 on: August 06, 2018, 09:48:49 PM »
Sorry if this derails (pun intended) the ongoing discussion a bit. I wanted to run some data by this thread to see if there's any good explanation for a trend I noticed. I recently looked at some Google transit feed datasets for GCRTA to count trip frequency change over the last decade. It appears system-wide trips have gone down a bit since 2009, as expected. However, if you isolate only light/heavy rail trips, it looks like trip frequency for rail stations has gone up in the last decade by several percent. Nothing dramatic, but not insubstantial.
Is there any good reason why this happened? Has rail service in fact slightly increased in the last decade? Is it the Little Italy Station? I can't tell if this is a result of an analysis error, or, in fact, makes sense.

Offline Mov2Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12579 on: August 07, 2018, 07:32:50 AM »
Sorry if this derails (pun intended) the ongoing discussion a bit. I wanted to run some data by this thread to see if there's any good explanation for a trend I noticed. I recently looked at some Google transit feed datasets for GCRTA to count trip frequency change over the last decade. It appears system-wide trips have gone down a bit since 2009, as expected. However, if you isolate only light/heavy rail trips, it looks like trip frequency for rail stations has gone up in the last decade by several percent. Nothing dramatic, but not insubstantial.
Is there any good reason why this happened? Has rail service in fact slightly increased in the last decade? Is it the Little Italy Station? I can't tell if this is a result of an analysis error, or, in fact, makes sense.

Just my guess, but with all the growth in downtown, Ohio City, and University Circle, I would say it makes sense as those are all neighborhoods served by the heavy rail line. Hasn't been much growth on the light rail lines in that time frame.

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #12580 on: August 07, 2018, 02:35:22 PM »
^Also--probably the biggest factor, RTA terminated a lot of bus lines that ran from the burbs into downtown at rapid stations, forcing the transfer, which increased rapid ridership and let the bus be used for other things or to save operating costs.

Offline yossarian

• Excavation Site
« Reply #12581 on: August 07, 2018, 05:20:58 PM »
Hmm. Thank you. One thing I failed to clarify is that this is for trips only. It doesn't reflect ridership at all. So its either new stations or less headway causing it, or both.

Just my guess, but with all the growth in downtown, Ohio City, and University Circle, I would say it makes sense as those are all neighborhoods served by the heavy rail line. Hasn't been much growth on the light rail lines in that time frame.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12582 on: August 07, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »
^Also--probably the biggest factor, RTA terminated a lot of bus lines that ran from the burbs into downtown at rapid stations, forcing the transfer, which increased rapid ridership and let the bus be used for other things or to save operating costs.

We have a winner!

Offline jtadams

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #12583 on: August 10, 2018, 06:54:59 AM »

We have a winner!

Killing a lot of ridership though, especially suburban, and, very possibly, support within those 'burbs for any kind of tax increase.  Consider the old #25.  It served what is now a thriving neighborhood on Bridge Ave., plus a struggling and now largely deserted one on Madison between 98th and 65th, as well as giving residents of southern Lakewood and Rocky River their only option for a single-seat ride downtown, or less than a double-transfer ride to any point downtown other than Tower City.  Or the #30/39.  I don't mind having to transfer at Windermere aka Stokes except at late night, but even I won't do it at night.   And the 55 minute trip from Shoregate became more than 90, much of it standing room only last time I tried (a year or two ago . . may have gotten better since, or worse).  Some of these mandatory transfers may make sense, but these, among many others, did not.  Keep in mind that there have been safety concerns at many train stations, including West Side ones which were targeted by local gang wannabes a couple years back.  This will deter those who have a choice pretty close to 100% of the time.  Also, I always though the 7. 9. 28. and 32 could have been routed down Chester, making limited stops, rather than Euclid where those and the local #6 always interfered with one another.  (Transferring to the HealthLine back when we had traffic signal priority wasn't a terrible thing, but now that that is gone . . . )  RTA now offers attractive service to the suburbs *only* via the Park & Rides, which I'm told is about the least cost-effective service, besides paratransit, that we have.  I promise you that if you want support from other than the transit-dependent, then, in general, you're going to have to give them a better reason than what they have right now.

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #12584 on: August 10, 2018, 07:19:42 AM »
How quickly could the old #9 or #32 get downtown from their eastern termini?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12585 on: August 10, 2018, 08:51:00 AM »
How quickly could the old #9 or #32 get downtown from their eastern termini?

I have old RTA timetables. I will let you know...probably this weekend.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12586 on: August 10, 2018, 04:03:56 PM »
Borrowed from the Tower City thread....

^Could be due to historic preservation issues? Not sure if the complex is bound by any of that but if it is I'm sure that would make signage more complicated.

There could be preservation issues.  But a sign could be placed on the plaza identifying the retail center and transit station.

Is it also problematic that the Terminal Tower and Tower City have different owners but are conjoined? Specifically the Public Square entrance.

But I agree the wayfinding is BAD. I donít think a visitor would know stores, a movie theater or the rapid station lies behind those doors.

RTA should/could benefit from some classic signage.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12587 on: August 10, 2018, 05:36:26 PM »
NTD = National Transit Database

@twkovach

Just pulled the NTD numbers for GCRTA through June.

YTD, GCRTA has had 17.38M riders, down 12.9% compared to June 2017.

Based on previous years, this puts the agency on track to record just 34.98M rides in 2018, an 11.5% decrease (larger than the 10.4% drop last year).

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12588 on: Yesterday at 09:11:14 PM »