PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Columbus: Random Development News & Info  (Read 23970 times)

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
Re: Columbus: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #1410 on: March 10, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »
Ha is it really chain-link fencing? At least there aren't a million dogs running up to it and raging out in your face as you walk by. With one or two more tied up to a stake in the middle of a dirt circle.

Offline Pablo

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1411 on: March 11, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
I don't mind the buildings but the streetscape is awful. No street trees and those concrete block planters at the corners are amateurish. Those south facing porches and terraces could've been more habitable with trees - something similar to Neighborhood Launch.

Offline Toddguy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1412 on: March 11, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »
Damn that looks awful. They couldn't even use some cheap black metal fencing? That chain link(and that much chain link)should never have been allowed for this.

Offline wpcc88

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1413 on: March 11, 2018, 07:31:22 PM »
#1 it's not chain link fencing, it's a metal railing

#2 in physical appearance it is much better than what was there and adds some vibrancy to the neighborhood

Offline Toddguy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1414 on: March 12, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »
# 3 It is still extremely ugly no matter what it is and they could have done it better.

* this post was not mean't to be taken seriously...it is not that big of a deal.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:23:43 PM by Toddguy »

Online casey

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1415 on: March 18, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »
Social Justice Park Planned for East Broad Street

Columbus may bring to life the country’s first ever Social Justice Park. The First Congregational Church, United Church of Christ of Columbus submitted a Request for Conceptual Review to the Downtown Commission to construct the park at 404 East Broad Street in the Discovery District.

More below:
http://www.columbusunderground.com/social-justice-park-planned-for-east-broad-street-ls1

I still don't really "get" this project, and would much rather see a building here, but I guess this is happening...

Vacant lot envisioned as focal point of social justice movement

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180318/vacant-lot-envisioned-as-focal-point-of-social-justice-movement

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1416 on: March 28, 2018, 10:39:55 AM »
Very interesting article about how Downtown Columbus parking prices compare with the 40 biggest cities in the U.S.:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/03/27/how-downtown-parking-prices-compare-with-the-40.html

Data from Chicago-based parking app Parkopedia and Atlanta consultant Parking Property Advisors show that Downtown Columbus parking rates are at the lower end of the price range for hourly rates, daily rates, monthly rates and reserved parking spot rates.  Below are graphs showing these price range for many regional and peer cities to Columbus (plus NYC & Chicago which were at the top of the price ranges).  It should be noted that the Columbus data is for the traditional central business district and does not include places like the Short North (the hottest developing area in C-BUS with parking scarcity) or the University District (the most densely packed neighborhood in the state):

#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Online aderwent

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1417 on: April 02, 2018, 08:37:55 AM »
A decent aerial of downtown from Instagram.

Offline cbussoccer

« Reply #1418 on: April 02, 2018, 09:39:00 AM »
My goodness I hate those surface lots between 670 and Nationwide Arena. I wish we could get something built on those ASAP. We also need to do something about those surface lots across the street from Huntington Park.

Offline wpcc88

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1419 on: April 02, 2018, 10:38:22 AM »
My goodness I hate those surface lots between 670 and Nationwide Arena. I wish we could get something built on those ASAP. We also need to do something about those surface lots across the street from Huntington Park.

Slowly but surely they will start to disappear.  The very small triangle shaped lot along 670 is a staging area for the Short North streetscape project but will also probably act as that when the Park Street hotel project gets underway.  Also the light colored one between Vine and Spruce would've been taken up by a Market District had it not been for the Grandview Yard project and the recession.

*Edit to say that we see a reboot of the Grand Central development, that area infilled would make downtown really pop from 670.  People seem to complain a ton about how we're not moving like Nashville, Austin, etc but IMO Columbus is growing smart and sustainable.  We have a ton of land area as you sort of pointed out in your initial post and infill on those doesn't happen overnight.  If we keep the population growth and current pace of development in the next decade downtown will be infilled properly with a mix of midsized and large towers.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:43:01 AM by wpcc88 »

Offline Gnoraa

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1420 on: April 06, 2018, 10:02:47 AM »
I'm not sure where to put this, but I was sitting at my office, which overlooks this area, which isn't necessarily "Short North", but it's also not quite Arena District.  Technically being south of 670 it is "Downtown" but I sorta just consider this area the Convention District?  Anyways, I got to thinking about the projects that are all about to break ground in the next 4-6 months, and the amount of construction/congestion that is about to happen within a 2-3 block area.  It's quite impressive IMO but some decent headaches for my commute temporarily haha  An updated map I pieced together......

Side note, Google Maps is quite outdated, the new parking garage and convention center expansion etc has not been updated in this pic....

Offline cbussoccer

« Reply #1421 on: April 06, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
^ It looks like you have the 3D setting turned on. If you turn that off, the map is much more up-to-date.

In 7-8 years, this area is going to look so different. It's really going to extend our skyline further north with the addition of a 35-story tower and a 23+ story tower. I think the awkward lot next to the Goodale garage is a good spot for another 15-20 story tower as well. It will be exciting to see all of the progress in the coming years.

Offline Toddguy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1422 on: April 06, 2018, 11:39:40 AM »
YESSSS!!! to a Goodale apartment/condo/mixed use tower of at least 20 floors!!!!!!!

Offline Gnoraa

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1423 on: April 06, 2018, 01:20:55 PM »
Looking at this map, I got to thinking that with Market Tower going up near by, and assuming momentum continues in the future based on projections, the surface parking lot at Vine Street where Front St and Park St merge would be a potentially good site for another condo/apartment tower. (Across the street from Brothers and next to Arena Crossing Apts) I could only imagine how all that would look from 670.

Just a thought though.

Offline wpcc88

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1424 on: April 06, 2018, 02:32:21 PM »
Looking at this map, I got to thinking that with Market Tower going up near by, and assuming momentum continues in the future based on projections, the surface parking lot at Vine Street where Front St and Park St merge would be a potentially good site for another condo/apartment tower. (Across the street from Brothers and next to Arena Crossing Apts) I could only imagine how all that would look from 670.

Just a thought though.

Never thought of that before but that could be a very cool spot for an 8-10 story building.

Offline Pablo

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1425 on: April 06, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »
Brothers is also a good site for an 8-10 story building...

Offline Toddguy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1426 on: April 06, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »
^^ put together those sites would make for a good 16-20 story building. We need to go taller to accommodate the rapidly growing population of the city lol you know, being that we should be near 880,000 when the city estimates are released in May (screw the trolls who got my thread closed).

In fact, every thing between Vine and Spruce west of Park all the way to Neil should be a  minimum of six floor tall, preferably higher. Parking can go on that block bounded by School, Vine, and Convention Center Drive where that nasty loking electrical place or whatever it is sits. Looks like they could get a long narrow parking deck along the south end of that block, just like the one immediately across the tracks. Something on the west side of that block too.

With the city growing so fast, we have to think big. :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:22:59 PM by Toddguy »

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1427 on: April 16, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
Business First report on Columbus' $1 billion capital improvements budget.  Water and sewer improvements make up more than half ($557 million) of the capital budget, and $39 million is set aside for street repaving:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/04/04/columbus-1b-capital-budget-focuses-on-water-sewer.html
#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/