PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: The Official *I Love Cleveland* Thread  (Read 6860 times)

Offline Dougal

• One SeaGate 411'
Re: The Official *I Love Cleveland* Thread
« Reply #2790 on: September 15, 2017, 02:00:18 PM »
For the past three days ESPN has preempted its Wash DC regional game (featuring the Yankees) to show the Indians. That may be a first.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:00:42 PM by Dougal »
There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2791 on: October 03, 2017, 12:21:01 PM »
THE GOOD NEWS: During the Browns-Bengals game last Sunday, the CBS-Sports came in from a commercial into a live shot of the West Side Market, which was surprisingly busy on a Sunday.  It was visually impressive, of course, a chance to really showcase Cleveland, right, except for ...

THE BAD NEWS: Because it was a football game between 2 NFL bottom feeders, few people outside Ohio actually saw it.

Offline Dougal

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #2792 on: October 05, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
The report of a month or so ago that Fund That Flip was locating their back offices in the Warehouse District got me interested in the company. So I took a very small participation in the rehab of a property on W58th Street.  I'll let UO know how it goes.

Online mu2010

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #2793 on: October 05, 2017, 11:07:05 AM »
The report of a month or so ago that Fund That Flip was locating their back offices in the Warehouse District got me interested in the company. So I took a very small participation in the rehab of a property on W58th Street.  I'll let UO know how it goes.

Maybe a dumb question but you live in Ohio? Because we are prohibited from doing Lending Club and Prosper here, I am surprised this isn't considered the same thing.

Offline Dougal

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #2794 on: October 05, 2017, 11:55:10 AM »

Maybe a dumb question but you live in Ohio? Because we are prohibited from doing Lending Club and Prosper here, I am surprised this isn't considered the same thing.

I wish I lived in Ohio; but I live in Maryland. FundThatFlip is in fact a New York company that sponsors loan participations in many states where they are licensed to do business. I understand that my participation in the loan is not direct, but part of a pool arrangement within FTF.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2795 on: November 02, 2017, 06:04:42 AM »
in the free amny newsday commuter papers this week — very nice!

the tired ministers of culture, rotolos and a few other stray pd dinosaurs might take a good look over these straightforward opening lead in remarks regarding what “might come immediately to mind” “when considering cleveland” instead of shoveling out their usual backhanded remarks about burning rivers and whatnot that no one remembers or cares about anymore:

https://www.amny.com/things-to-do/cleveland-food-guide-1.14688535

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #2796 on: November 02, 2017, 11:24:11 AM »
Speaking of New York... I'm noticing a lot more East Coast license plates around Lakewood and Cleveland lately, especially from New York. There are reports that back-office departments are being moved from New York headquarters to Cleveland to take advantage of the lower cost of living and the lower pay that goes with it. In another instance, GCA Services Group (a large custodial services contractor) of Cleveland was acquired by ABM Industries of New York City. The combined company is being consolidated in Downtown Cleveland.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #2797 on: November 02, 2017, 11:32:50 AM »
^I've noticed that around town too.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:44:47 PM by Clefan98 »

Offline Oldmanladyluck

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2798 on: November 02, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »
Speaking of New York... I'm noticing a lot more East Coast license plates around Lakewood and Cleveland lately, especially from New York. There are reports that back-office departments are being moved from New York headquarters to Cleveland to take advantage of the lower cost of living and the lower pay that goes with it. In another instance, GCA Services Group (a large custodial services contractor) of Cleveland was acquired by ABM Industries of New York City. The combined company is being consolidated in Downtown Cleveland.

That's outstanding news :-)  Any idea about how many employees will be brought here from the consolidation?

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2799 on: November 02, 2017, 01:12:18 PM »
i dont see any mention of the hq moving to cleveland, that would be great if it happens, but anyway the adm company most certainly rings a bell in ny:

17 ABM employees were killed at the World Trade Center during the September 11 attacks. The company also lost its largest corporate account, which accounted for annual revenues of $65 million. A window washer that was working for ABM managed to use his squeegee to open an elevator door saving many people.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2800 on: November 02, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »
i dont see any mention of the hq moving to cleveland, that would be great if it happens, but anyway the adm company most certainly rings a bell in ny:

I didn't say the headquarters was moving. Maybe it is; I don't know. But the back office functions are certainly being consolidated here according to a family friend who is an account manager for GCA here in Cleveland. He says a number of his co-workers accepted buyouts because they are being replaced by ABM workers transferring from New York. I guess it's cheaper to buy-out a Clevelander than a New Yorker.

Offline jeremyck01

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #2801 on: November 02, 2017, 08:03:26 PM »
in the free amny newsday commuter papers this week — very nice!

the tired ministers of culture, rotolos and a few other stray pd dinosaurs might take a good look over these straightforward opening lead in remarks regarding what “might come immediately to mind” “when considering cleveland” instead of shoveling out their usual backhanded remarks about burning rivers and whatnot that no one remembers or cares about anymore:

https://www.amny.com/things-to-do/cleveland-food-guide-1.14688535

Anyone know why so many of the links being posted aren't working?  Thanks.

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2802 on: November 03, 2017, 08:24:47 AM »
I passed a very small, strange looking patch of grass yesterday, it's on the S. side of Carnegie just east of E. 65th street, next to a small day care. I'm calling it Cleveland Stonehenge, as there were several weird stone sculptures in the grass, but no associated reason or business nearby that I could discern.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2803 on: November 03, 2017, 08:25:12 AM »

I didn't say the headquarters was moving. Maybe it is; I don't know. But the back office functions are certainly being consolidated here according to a family friend who is an account manager for GCA here in Cleveland. He says a number of his co-workers accepted buyouts because they are being replaced by ABM workers transferring from New York. I guess it's cheaper to buy-out a Clevelander than a New Yorker.

locally it's no net gain or loss of jobs either, so that is a wash.

it could be a good or bad thing for current local employees, depending on the buyout terms.

overall it seems to be a wise merger that will strengthen and grow the company though, so that is good.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #2804 on: November 03, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »
I passed a very small, strange looking patch of grass yesterday, it's on the S. side of Carnegie just east of E. 65th street, next to a small day care. I'm calling it Cleveland Stonehenge, as there were several weird stone sculptures in the grass, but no associated reason or business nearby that I could discern.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Don't know the origin, but its been there for at least a year

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2805 on: November 03, 2017, 09:10:42 PM »

Nope. My understanding is that there will be a net increase in jobs locally.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2806 on: November 04, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »

Nope. My understanding is that there will be a net increase in jobs locally.

thats not whats publically known. so one can only hope it brings more jobs. but the point is it didnt cost any jobs locally as these mergers often do, so thats good.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2807 on: November 06, 2017, 08:55:57 AM »
Still, the greatest tourism billboard ever made. I dare a similar billboard be erected in Cleveland.

Offline MidwestChamp

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #2808 on: November 09, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »
Is Cleveland a model for med-tech success in Rochester?
MPR News
Business
Catharine Richert       
Cleveland    Nov 9, 2017

Hungry to launch his medical technology firm, Jake Orville first needed a city with the research brainpower he'd require and the workers and workspace he could afford.

Cleveland was not the sexy answer a decade ago, but it turned out to be the right one.

At Cleveland Clinic, the city's world-class health and medical facility, Orville found the diagnostic technology he wanted to commercialize and sell. In 2009, it grew into Cleveland HeartLab, a 200-person company developing biomarkers to help doctors predict cardiovascular risk.

"I was just blown away at the ecosystem that was here to take people like me, start companies like Cleveland HeartLab, attract investors, get incubation space and then go," Orville said of the city.

Cleveland Clinic is the gravitational force in a medical-technology universe that's now pulling businesses, investor money and millennials into the city. It's a success story that Mayo Clinic and Rochester leaders aim to write in Minnesota.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/11/09/is-cleveland-a-model-for-medtech-success-in-rochester

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2809 on: November 10, 2017, 03:02:54 AM »
Is Cleveland a model for med-tech success in Rochester?
MPR News
Business
Catharine Richert       
Cleveland    Nov 9, 2017

Hungry to launch his medical technology firm, Jake Orville first needed a city with the research brainpower he'd require and the workers and workspace he could afford.

Cleveland was not the sexy answer a decade ago, but it turned out to be the right one.

At Cleveland Clinic, the city's world-class health and medical facility, Orville found the diagnostic technology he wanted to commercialize and sell. In 2009, it grew into Cleveland HeartLab, a 200-person company developing biomarkers to help doctors predict cardiovascular risk.

"I was just blown away at the ecosystem that was here to take people like me, start companies like Cleveland HeartLab, attract investors, get incubation space and then go," Orville said of the city.

Cleveland Clinic is the gravitational force in a medical-technology universe that's now pulling businesses, investor money and millennials into the city. It's a success story that Mayo Clinic and Rochester leaders aim to write in Minnesota.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/11/09/is-cleveland-a-model-for-medtech-success-in-rochester

One advantage we will still have, things get made in the city and metro area.   CC is a major player but it does not absolutely dominate the area like Mayo does Rochester.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2810 on: November 14, 2017, 09:28:04 AM »

Offline Dougal

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #2811 on: November 14, 2017, 10:11:21 AM »
There's a nice Cleveland food article in "The National", Amtrak's seat pocket magazine. It's a longer, more detailed article than the usual airline mag stuff.

http://www.amtrakthenational.com/

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2812 on: November 14, 2017, 12:27:55 PM »
There's a nice Cleveland food article in "The National", Amtrak's seat pocket magazine. It's a longer, more detailed article than the usual airline mag stuff.

http://www.amtrakthenational.com/

Did it contain photos of Cleveland shot only between the hours of 2-5 a.m.?

Offline Dougal

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #2813 on: November 14, 2017, 03:04:54 PM »
^Haha ... no, only food and a shot of E4th St.

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #2814 on: November 15, 2017, 07:45:27 AM »
This is the 2nd nationally publicized article about the Gordon Square Arts District in as many weeks: 

A Cleveland Arts District Hustles and Rebound

Perhaps no souvenir from Cleveland quite captures the city’s underdog pride as the popular T-shirt that reads “Cleveland Against the World” by the artist Glen Infante. It’s a quick two-mile shopping trip west of downtown to get one at his store iLTHY, short for I Love The Hype, one of the lively shops in the arts- and entertainment-friendly Gordon Square Arts District.

Like many good-news stories in Cleveland these days, the growth of Gordon Square owes something to LeBron James. The Cleveland Cavaliers superstar acted as the executive producer on a 2016 CNBC reality TV show called “Cleveland Hustles” in which budding entrepreneurs, each mentored by established business owners, competed to win financial backing and open retail outlets in Gordon Square.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/15/travel/cleveland-gordon-square-arts-district.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:47:36 AM by Clefan98 »

Offline jeremyck01

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #2815 on: November 15, 2017, 12:56:01 PM »
^What was the first article?  I think I missed it. Thanks.

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #2816 on: November 16, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »
Had a pretty nice conversation with a guy today. He and his family were from Pennsylvania, and he was buying a house for his daughter in South Euclid. I asked if she was moving to Cleveland for school as she looked about that age. He told me no, she had visited and spent some time in Cleveland before, and loved it here. Out of everywhere, this is where she wanted to live.

We also talked about how now is the time to buy if you can, but its getting tougher. Supply is going down and prices are going up. Obviously I'm not as familiar with all the sub-markets around Cleveland, but I can tell you this has for sure been a good year in South Euclid. Our average sale price has gone up almost 25% in just the past year. Alot of owners of rental properties are now putting them up for sale, and many of them are now flipping back to owner-occupants.

Offline originaljbw

« Reply #2817 on: November 16, 2017, 09:41:59 PM »
I can say the same thing for my neighborhood of old Brooklyn. In the last two years I've raised my rent $150 a month and everyone is still happy to pay. There's a lot of good going on even in the neighborhoods that don't grab most of the headlines

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2818 on: November 16, 2017, 10:55:03 PM »
Ditto for Lakewood. If you have an historic home that's been well maintained and updated in a manner that's consistent with the home's architecture, then the house will usually sell very quickly and for a decent price.

Offline tastybunns

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #2819 on: November 18, 2017, 02:12:16 PM »
Recently the FBI files for the case of the assassination of JFK have been released. There's a file that had leads on Cleveland Mobsters, not sure where they were from whether it was Little Italy or Slavic Village. It makes me want to read upon the history of Cleveland moreso than ever.