Author Topic: Cincinnati: Interstate 75 "Mill Creek Expressway"  (Read 8637 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
Re: Cincinnati: Interstate 75 "Mill Creek Expressway"
« Reply #510 on: December 20, 2017, 04:40:54 AM »
Ha, you're right. I looked it up and it only cost 1-1.2 billion for a lane addition between Western Hills Viaduct and just south of I-275. Approximately 16 miles. When you add in the unknown but estimated cost of adding that amount of capacity south to the river from the viaduct and you get right at 2 billion plus the cost of a new bridge.  Look at the ODOT websites for each of these projects you will see in the summary first and foremost that LANE ADDITION is right up front. We did get a bunch of new interchanges but those had to be done to qualify for federal funding. And what do we get for all of that, Induced Demand! I don't really care one way or the other, I was just making a humorous observation but don't snipe comments, it's rude. 

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #511 on: December 20, 2017, 08:02:23 AM »
It didn't cost that - it hasn't even occurred. There are also two separate projects entailing more than just a simple "lane addition" that you keep harping about. And we are talking about two separate projects - Mill Creek and Thru the Valley, which combined will most likely exceed $900 million. But again, those projects are phased out well into the next decade or more, so those costs are unknown. And when you spread it out over two decades (or more at this point), that's not that big of a deal.

You must have forgotten about the replacement of 50 year old bridges that were nearing the end of their lifespan; the total replacement of pavement that was well over the end of their lifespan; the rebuilding of several interchanges that didn't meet FHWA standards; etc., etc., etc. More than just a simple lane addition.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #512 on: December 20, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »
The total cost for the I-75 work between the Cut in the Hill and I-275 is about $4 billion. The fact that ODOT has split this work up into three projects—Brent Spence Bridge Replacement, Thru the Valley, and Mill Creek Expressway—is neither here nor there.

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #513 on: December 20, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
I think the work on I-75 while adding lanes, was very important to the region.  That area has already been sliced and diced and it will induce more demand, but that said, it needed to be done.  Where they are finished, it is a much nicer and smoother ride.  The main thing, it helps pull through traffic through the corridor easier which helps local traffic and will help the economy overall.  All that said, we would all agree here how a rail line along the corridor would be a huge boon to the local economy, more so than the road project.

I don't know what a rail corridor would cost here, I'm sure Jake or Travis could give a good estimate, but that would be huge to our region.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #514 on: December 20, 2017, 10:59:53 AM »
I do think the current I-75 work was needed, not necessarily because it adds a lane, but because it reconfigures the the highway to modern interstate standards and eliminates many of the outdated pre-interstate design features such as left side exits. The fact that a lane was added in the process didn't really add too much extra expense since the entire thing was being rebuilt anyway. I do think it's important to point out the hyprocracy, though. As our region continues to moan about any money spent on transit, we spend $4 billion on highways and no one even seems to notice.

I'm not sure what it would cost to build a MetroMoves style system today but I believe the cost 15 years ago was less that what we are now spending on I-75. Also, the cost of building rail will only increase over time as we continue to take corridors that could be easily used for rail and instead use them for other purposes. The I-75 widening takes away ROW that was once reserved for rail and makes any future rail plans more expensive and more complicated. We also decided to build a bike trail on Wasson Way and I don't think anyone in Oakley or Hyde Park will ever agree to have rail built on that corridor next to the trail.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #515 on: December 20, 2017, 12:31:44 PM »
The interstate highways are, by default, a fully grade separated network, and therefore fulfill the textbook definition of "rapid transit". The Metro Moves rail was not, which is why the entire network was going to cost less than simply adding one lane to I-75 for 20~ miles. 

The cost of 20 miles of fully grade separated rail transit paralleling I-75 from Covington, KY to West Chester would be massive, likely upwards of $10 billion. 

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #516 on: December 20, 2017, 12:55:11 PM »
That is massive!  That said, I still think the most cost benefit would be to add the tunnell on Main Street and Walnut Street to Uptown, then add on Elevated tracks down Jefferson to MLK? towards the new developments there then either turn up Reading or run it to Walnut Hills / Evanston.

That would likely never happen but would be a tremendous boon to the area.  I think Jake you talked about something along the lines of this before.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #517 on: December 20, 2017, 01:32:35 PM »
Yeah and the shame is that I ran across several articles in my research on the subway where planners outlined a plan to extend the rapid transit line along the canal route well north of the city limits toward Carthage and then Arlington Heights and Lockland.  So if things had played out just a little differently, there would not have been space for I-75 to have been built along the path that it was. 

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #518 on: April 13, 2018, 05:24:14 PM »
I was almost rear-ended in a major way this morning on the new ramp from Hopple to 75N.  There is a nasty yield where it merges with the old I-74 ramp before merging with I-75.  I am in the habit of completely stopping at this yield if there is a column of cars coming off of I-74.

Today I was completely stopped for probably 20-30 seconds and an old minivan came up behind me and didn't realize that I was completely stopped.  At the last minute he swerved to the right, kept going on the emergency shoulder, and then almost wrecked into one of the cars coming off I-74. 

The I-74 interchange rebuild is going to solve this problem, but I have already seen 2-3 nasty accidents at this point.  I'm sort of amazed that they permitted it, even though it is only temporary. 

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #519 on: April 13, 2018, 08:08:29 PM »
I don't understand why so many people here seem to have an issue with the notion of "yield."  It's really not that hard. 

Offline TraderJake

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #520 on: April 13, 2018, 09:21:21 PM »
I was almost rear-ended in a major way this morning on the new ramp from Hopple to 75N.  There is a nasty yield where it merges with the old I-74 ramp before merging with I-75.  I am in the habit of completely stopping at this yield if there is a column of cars coming off of I-74.

Today I was completely stopped for probably 20-30 seconds and an old minivan came up behind me and didn't realize that I was completely stopped.  At the last minute he swerved to the right, kept going on the emergency shoulder, and then almost wrecked into one of the cars coming off I-74. 

The I-74 interchange rebuild is going to solve this problem, but I have already seen 2-3 nasty accidents at this point.  I'm sort of amazed that they permitted it, even though it is only temporary. 

Yeah, that does look like a nasty yield. (And this is coming from me, a Professional Traffic Engineer that previously was the MDSHA Traffic Team Leader for Montgomery County). A hard yield like this is a very unexpected condition on an interstate or interchange. I hope ODOT has double posted 48"x48" yield ahead signs prior to the yield. If not, I recommend you requesting them. (Sorry, I live in Brooklyn these days, haven't been a Cincinnati resident in 10 years. If I lived in Ohio, I would request for you.)

Online SleepyLeroy

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #521 on: April 13, 2018, 11:04:13 PM »

Yeah, that does look like a nasty yield. (And this is coming from me, a Professional Traffic Engineer that previously was the MDSHA Traffic Team Leader for Montgomery County). A hard yield like this is a very unexpected condition on an interstate or interchange. I hope ODOT has double posted 48"x48" yield ahead signs prior to the yield. If not, I recommend you requesting them. (Sorry, I live in Brooklyn these days, haven't been a Cincinnati resident in 10 years. If I lived in Ohio, I would request for you.)

I'm betting that using this ramp as a shortcut from 75 BACK TO 75 to save a few minutes in a back up is probably not the most legal of maneuvers is it?

Online LAW 21

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #522 on: April 14, 2018, 01:38:16 AM »
During spring break, a right turn only sign was installed and the no turn on red sign has been turned to face traffic coming from N I-75.  I would like to think someone important is reading this thread, but probably just coincidence.  Whatever the case, traffic flow has improved greatly even though MLK has been reduced to one lane.  Overhead signs were also installed, which I'm sure has helped as well.

Sometime last year, the no turn on red sign was turned back to face Hopple again.  No surprise that traffic gets very backed up in the 3:30-6:30 range again.  Traffic flow was actually much better when MLK was down to one lane during construction and the no turn on red was facing the I 75 ramp. 

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #523 on: April 14, 2018, 04:47:33 AM »
I'm betting that using this ramp as a shortcut from 75 BACK TO 75 to save a few minutes in a back up is probably not the most legal of maneuvers is it?

Yes, while waiting to get on 75N from MLK I have seen cars race from the off-ramp directly across the bridge and onto the on-ramp.  After all of this construction and the tens of millions of dollars spent rebuilding Hopple St. I am amazed at how hectic and unpleasant the whole thing is. 

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #524 on: June 11, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
Bill calls for stretch of Interstate 75 to be renamed

A Cincinnati lawmaker is calling for a portion of Interstate 75 to be renamed.

Ohio Rep. Catherine Ingram, D-Cincinnati, on Monday introduced House Bill 690, legislation that would create the Hamilton County Veterans Memorial Highway along a stretch of Interstate 75 in Hamilton County.

“Hamilton County veterans and their families have made tremendous sacrifices in service to their country,” Ingram said in a statement. “We are indebted to our brave neighbors in uniform for their service, and we are proud to welcome them home here in Hamilton County. Our county, state and country are better off because of their service in uniform and their continued good works once they rejoin our communities.”

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/11/bill-calls-for-stretch-of-interstate-75-to-be.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #525 on: June 12, 2018, 12:31:56 PM »
Surely naming I-75 the Hamilton County Veterans Memorial Highway and OH-129 the Butler County Veterans Highway won't cause any confusion...

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #526 on: June 12, 2018, 01:06:15 PM »
It won't, because no one will call it the Hamilton County Veterans Memorial Highway.

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #527 on: June 12, 2018, 01:23:47 PM »
I can't remember which highways in Columbus are Veterans'

Offline westerninterloper

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #528 on: June 12, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
I can't remember which highways in Columbus are Veterans'

Hasn't every road in the US been renamed for veterans or a dead police officer? 

Offline OldBearcat

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #529 on: June 13, 2018, 03:14:49 PM »
I still call OH-129  The Micheal J. Fox Highway
Formerly "Mr Sparkle"

Offline BigDipper 80

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #530 on: July 11, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »
I-75 New Ramp Meters to be Activated at Hopple St. and Mitchell Ave. Interchanges

Lebanon, OH (July 11, 2018) - Ohio Department of Transportation District 8 Deputy Director Tammy Campbell announced today that new ramp meters will be permanently activated along Interstate 75 during the morning rush hour on July 16.

“These traffic calming devices will help to improve the flow of traffic on mainline I-75,” said Campbell. “While the ramp meters help control congestion they more importantly help improve safety for motorists.”

More below:
https://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/OHDOT-1fa10d2
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #531 on: July 11, 2018, 05:04:43 PM »
According to the project website, work will begin this fall on the section of I-75 between the Monmouth Street overpass and Mitchell Avenue. This phase will also include the 75-to-74 (eastbound) interchange ramps, but not the 74-to-75 ramps, which will be part of the next phase.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #532 on: July 11, 2018, 05:26:41 PM »
According to the project website, work will begin this fall on the section of I-75 between the Monmouth Street overpass and Mitchell Avenue. This phase will also include the 75-to-74 (eastbound) interchange ramps, but not the 74-to-75 ramps, which will be part of the next phase.

Crazy.  As I have already noted, the temporary merge from Hopple to 75N is very dangerous.  Hopefully this gets modified in some fashion as part of this project, even if the circa-1972 ramp from I-74 is not rebuilt. 

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #533 on: July 11, 2018, 07:17:07 PM »

Crazy.  As I have already noted, the temporary merge from Hopple to 75N is very dangerous.  Hopefully this gets modified in some fashion as part of this project, even if the circa-1972 ramp from I-74 is not rebuilt. 

I've taken that ramp exactly once. I now go down to Bank Street and get on 75N there because it's such a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm sure on paper it looked okay because the merge point is exactly the same spot it was when the onramp from Central Parkway was there, but the ramp from Hopple is so incredibly long that by the time people get to the merge point they're already on autopilot and going 55MPH when cars from 74 merge from their blind spot.

Offline OldBearcat

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #534 on: July 12, 2018, 10:47:29 AM »

yes, that ramp merge is temporary and will be removed and relocated as a direct merge to I-75 NB  -- under the ramp from I-74 to I-75 NB -- per standard design.

Formerly "Mr Sparkle"

Offline unusualfire

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #535 on: Yesterday at 01:43:16 PM »
Did they drop the ball on them meters again? One is not even on and another still has signs(This one is working) covered.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:09:07 PM by unusualfire »