Author Topic: Cleveland: Lakefront Development and News  (Read 65840 times)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Cleveland: Lakefront Development and News
« Reply #2700 on: February 28, 2018, 08:52:13 AM »
Ta-da....

Cleveland road that provides critical access to the city's tourist attractions plagued by potholes
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-road-that-provides-critical-access-to-the-citys-tourist-attractions-plagued-by-potholes
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2701 on: February 28, 2018, 08:59:38 AM »
Ta-da....

Cleveland road that provides critical access to the city's tourist attractions plagued by potholes
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-road-that-provides-critical-access-to-the-citys-tourist-attractions-plagued-by-potholes

A-freaking-men!   I'd like to think I had a part of this since I dropped a request in on the "Mayor's Action Center." 

This line of Joe's story is very telling:

"News 5 contacted the Cleveland Mayor's office, but we were told the city still doesn't have a 2018 resurfacing plan in place."

Why wouldn't you have a 2018 resurfacing plan in place?  It's only....2018!   

And here you have a perfect example of the culture in the ranks of City of Cleveland employees.  They are completely reactionary and have no vision.  They show up 1 minute before their shift starts and leave one minute before it ends (at least the good ones do....).  There is money for these kinds of projects, mainly held onto by the council people for distribution when they say so.  But it usually takes hundreds of citizen complaints, followed by a news story, to get something done that they should already be planning for.   

Offline Mendo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #2702 on: February 28, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »

It makes sense to set paving priorities after the worst of the weather is over. Temperature swings early in the year are brutal on the roads. Roads can go from okay to awful in a couple weeks. Setting priorities before winter ends seems premature, imo.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2703 on: February 28, 2018, 09:22:56 AM »
Ta-da....

One reason the OC is so important is it will allow other routes to the Clinic and Circle to undergo major reconstruction, instead of simply patching, without creating a mess.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2704 on: February 28, 2018, 09:30:33 AM »
Plans can always be refined, but default plans could look at which roads are most important and which have already been resurfaced.  Not having any plan at all is ridiculous.

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2705 on: February 28, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »

It makes sense to set paving priorities after the worst of the weather is over. Temperature swings early in the year are brutal on the roads. Roads can go from okay to awful in a couple weeks. Setting priorities before winter ends seems premature, imo.

I could have told them LAST SUMMER that this road needed done.  It's just the road that most of our out-of-town visitors stopping by get to see. 

I'm sick of the excuses.  This is just one of the many instances where the City of Cleveland government fails us.  These kinds of things should just be done, and instead it takes a Carl Monday investigation to get a road paved or some potholes filled. 

Offline tastybunns

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #2706 on: February 28, 2018, 01:27:11 PM »
What person in their right mind would come up during winter? It's not a priority until springtime. It would't make sense to patch during the winter...

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2707 on: February 28, 2018, 02:13:13 PM »
What person in their right mind would come up during winter? It's not a priority until springtime. It would't make sense to patch during the winter...

Of course it wouldn't make sense to patch it during the winter.  But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to PLAN it for the summer?  The City of Cleveland is incapable of even this.

Offline freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2708 on: April 10, 2018, 10:20:31 PM »
Video from Bar 32. Does it look like Erieside has been paved in this video? Anyone know?

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2709 on: April 10, 2018, 10:33:26 PM »
Erieside has been paved.  Pretty amazing since the City of Cleveland "had no plan yet" as of a month ago.   It's not the greatest job, but what do you expect from the lowest bidder, and it's still better than if paved by a city crew. 

Offline freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2710 on: April 15, 2018, 10:02:03 PM »
Harbor Verandas

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2711 on: April 15, 2018, 11:53:16 PM »
Wow. Big footprint!
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2712 on: April 16, 2018, 09:07:21 AM »
Are those drone photos?

Offline MyPhoneDead

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #2713 on: May 02, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »
A couple of different angles to show the apartment building progress.
MVIMG_20180501_192328 by dwainross34, on Flickr
MVIMG_20180501_191839 by dwainross34, on Flickr

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2714 on: May 30, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »
@NickCastele
At Cleveland City Council for a briefing on lakefront development. You can see a little bit of the housing going up by the Rock Hall. https://t.co/p3who1nLgI

Developer Dick Pace is talking council’s transportation committee through his plans for the lakefront. This is the first image: https://t.co/pvmamKvlFB

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2715 on: May 30, 2018, 10:43:26 AM »
^Isn't that a pretty old imagine?

What is the purpose of Pace appearing before the transportation committee at this time?

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2716 on: May 30, 2018, 01:57:41 PM »
^Isn't that a pretty old imagine?

What is the purpose of Pace appearing before the transportation committee at this time?

To consider extending some deadlines....

Plans for office buildings and apartments on #Cleveland's lakefront aren't moving as fast as originally expected, but the developers told city council that prospects for landing the key office tenants to make the project move ahead are promising.
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180530/news/163371/developers-update-cleveland-city-council-lakefront-plans

From the article
James Murray-Coleman, a Trammel Crow senior vice president, told council that real estate brokers are working with two companies — one local, the other from out of town — that are very interested in taking at least 100,000 square feet of office space on the lakefront. Murray-Coleman described the planned office development as world-class space and that the successes of the 2016 Republican National Convention and the Cleveland Cavaliers have made companies take notice of Cleveland.

I know someone on this forum knows. Care to reveal? If you want, send me a PM and I'll report it anonymously in my blog. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 02:08:49 PM by KJP »

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2717 on: June 09, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »
A few from this week.  Love the new bocce and volleyball courts:

Online Eastside

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #2718 on: June 19, 2018, 02:13:14 PM »
Unfortunately for the foreseeable future, we will not be able to remove the struggling Burke Lakefront Airport. However, what do you all think about the possibility of moving it Northeast onto the land adjacent to it, opening up a good amount of land closer to I90?

Just an idea that popped into my head today. I feel as though a decent amount of infilling would be needed as I am sure that is crap fill. I am also positive Mayor Jackson would hate such a compromise.

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2719 on: June 19, 2018, 02:14:58 PM »
Unfortunately for the foreseeable future, we will not be able to remove the struggling Burke Lakefront Airport. However, what do you all think about the possibility of moving it Northeast onto the land adjacent to it, opening up a good amount of land closer to I90?

Just an idea that popped into my head today. I feel as though a decent amount of infilling would be needed as I am sure that is crap fill. I am also positive Mayor Jackson would hate such a compromise.

What land is adjacent to the northeast?   And what about Burke is it that makes you think it's struggling? 

Offline snakebite

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #2720 on: June 19, 2018, 05:44:23 PM »
Some days it doesn't even have a single commercial flight?

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2721 on: June 19, 2018, 06:05:07 PM »

Hey eastside, welcome to the loony bin.

I think that would be a wonderful idea in a city that had cranes as far as the eye can see, but I really can't see spending millions and millions to create new developable land when we have so much prime vacant land downtown which we struggle to build on.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2722 on: June 19, 2018, 07:19:31 PM »
Some days it doesn't even have a single commercial flight?

Some decades it didn't have a commercial flight. But it was very busy with Federal Reserve flights moving checks and money around. Not so much anymore with everything digitized.

Offline CleveFan

« Reply #2723 on: June 20, 2018, 01:33:26 AM »
The repurposing  of Burke Lakefront land  seems to be, unbelievably, , a total  non-topic to the so-called leaders of Cleveland - showing a complete lack of vision .  450 acres of prime real estate ( more than Cedar Point)  on a coastline immediately  adjacent to downtown - an area where thousands might want  to live - where so many possibilities for exciting residential developments and offices and shopping could become a dynamic 21st century success story.  Why is Burke so “protected” by certain interests? Its regional importance has greatly declined with the downward trend in population over the last decades. Burke produced just over 100,000 flights (either landing or taking off ) less than 20 years ago in 2000. Last year, the number had plummeted to  38,000 for the year. And more importantly, the possibilities for how Burke’s  land could transform the waterfront and the city were not being explored.  Has there even been a study of the airport’s necessity in 2018 and going forward?  A  “Scene” article from April of this year Did a great job rausing questions and   challenged the status quo of Burke and the lack of interest by Cleveland’s mayor.   There are no doubt excuses and talking points as to why The Burke land cant be repurposed - but there is a shameful lack of interest and significant discourse about this vital piece  of land and its dramatic potentual  - I believe  Cleveland  deserves that discussion.

Offline tastybunns

« Reply #2724 on: June 20, 2018, 03:17:29 AM »
WOAAAH, Hold your horses right there. If you want to initiate the push, go make a petition, become mayor, or be an urban planner. If you can muster up a few billion dollars to build on landfill be my guest.

The problem isn't that its unused land, It's clearly being used for DOT and FAA purpose. I believe that it's just too much undeveloped land that if you overdeveloped or underdeveloped, you could screw something up for what could have been. Something of this size doesn't just happen with chumps in office, you need top of the line people to scrounge for you.

Offline viscomi

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #2725 on: June 20, 2018, 08:09:40 AM »
Keeping the airport, I think it would be nice to have a public path around the perimeter of the whole dike at some point. Then maybe a downtown beach somewhere on the northeast side. There is an access road  around the whole thing. Does anyone know the regulations for public rows next to an airport. Is the acess road too close? Obviously you would need fencing and such.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2726 on: June 20, 2018, 09:11:34 AM »
When we develop the parking craters downtown and are bursting at the seams with development downtown, then I can see the need for redeveloping Burke.

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #2727 on: June 20, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »
I've said this on this thread several times and so I am a broken record, but imagine what opening up that land for development would do to development in our actual existing neighborhoods in a region that's losing population. It'd suck the energy right out of Ohio City and create some sort of Crocker Park-like, economically segregated, car dependent zone, separated from the rest of the city by a freeway, railroad tracks, and an industrial neighborhood. With zero old buildings or existing infrastructure, it'd have zero businesses that weren't corporate chains. Please God no.

The only thing that should happen to the airport is to turn it into a park, if it ever closes. I say no development North of the Shoreway, ala Chicago.

Offline TPH2

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2728 on: June 20, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »
I've said this on this thread several times and so I am a broken record, but imagine what opening up that land for development would do to development in our actual existing neighborhoods in a region that's losing population. It'd suck the energy right out of Ohio City and create some sort of Crocker Park-like, economically segregated, car dependent zone, separated from the rest of the city by a freeway, railroad tracks, and an industrial neighborhood. With zero old buildings or existing infrastructure, it'd have zero businesses that weren't corporate chains. Please God no.

The only thing that should happen to the airport is to turn it into a park, if it ever closes. I say no development North of the Shoreway, ala Chicago.

I agree. The place is just so huge (you could fit more than 4 Crocker Parks on the land) and disconnected that I don't see how any development would be at an appropriate scale and it would be completely cut off from the city. I think that it could make for an awesome park.

Burke with 4 Crocker Parks on top of it, compared to Northerly Island in Chicago (former site of Meigs Field Airport) at the same scale:

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #2729 on: June 20, 2018, 11:14:52 AM »
Nice graphic. I never realized Burke was larger than Meigs.