Author Topic: Cincinnati-NKY International Airport  (Read 33640 times)

Offline savadams13

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
Re: Cincinnati-NKY International Airport
« Reply #1290 on: August 08, 2018, 12:00:00 PM »
So within the hospitality industry there is big discussion about 21c Hotel now becoming part of Accor. Now many of you would say what does this have to do with international travel? Well alot actually, it puts a large European based hotel chain in our city. It gives European travelers more enticing reason to connect in Cincinnati because its part of Accor than say some of our American based hotel chains. I think we are just starting to see small crumbs right now, but if we as a city keep going in the right direction, i think we could become an American tourist destination that is affordable compared to other cities in the US. Its similar to how Americans like myself enjoy Krakow, Budapest, and Prague because they are nice and cheap compared to Paris, London, or Amsterdam.

I dont think we are going to get a London flight very quickly though. Pittsburgh is giving 1.5 million a year for two years to British Airways to have the flight to London. Cincinnati would probably need to do very similar. However it I was CVG i would try Virgin Atlantic over British Airways. Virgin Atlantic is part of Delta and Sky Team and would have a better chance of success with the heavy Sky miles community in the tri-state over British Airways which is One World and does not have a huge business presence in CVG

Offline AmrapinVA

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1291 on: August 08, 2018, 01:20:03 PM »
So within the hospitality industry there is big discussion about 21c Hotel now becoming part of Accor. Now many of you would say what does this have to do with international travel? Well alot actually, it puts a large European based hotel chain in our city. It gives European travelers more enticing reason to connect in Cincinnati because its part of Accor than say some of our American based hotel chains. I think we are just starting to see small crumbs right now, but if we as a city keep going in the right direction, i think we could become an American tourist destination that is affordable compared to other cities in the US. Its similar to how Americans like myself enjoy Krakow, Budapest, and Prague because they are nice and cheap compared to Paris, London, or Amsterdam.

I dont think we are going to get a London flight very quickly though. Pittsburgh is giving 1.5 million a year for two years to British Airways to have the flight to London. Cincinnati would probably need to do very similar. However it I was CVG i would try Virgin Atlantic over British Airways. Virgin Atlantic is part of Delta and Sky Team and would have a better chance of success with the heavy Sky miles community in the tri-state over British Airways which is One World and does not have a huge business presence in CVG

Any service to/from London will likely be on Virgin due to Skyteam. Virgin unlike Delta is more concerned about London originating passengers than Cincinnati ones which drives down chances significantly. For this reason alone I donít see CVG-London for quite some time unless the airport authority wants to pay for it like PIT.

Offline savadams13

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1292 on: August 09, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »
Small crumbs are starting to come our way but we have a lot of work to still do...
http://www.mtv.co.uk/travel/news/cincinnati-the-most-underrated-city-in-the-world

Offline LtCheese

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1293 on: August 10, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »
I wonder if the introduction of Boeing's NMA (797) in the next 5 years or so will help CVG's international presence. With a passenger capacity of 200-250 passengers and a range of 4500-6000nm, it would be a perfect aircraft to provide profitable, medium demand transatlantic legs from CVG.

It would open up the possibility of long and thin city pairings like Cincinnati to Stockholm, Lisbon, Rome, etc.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1294 on: August 10, 2018, 05:03:35 PM »
I think the expansion of Intl flights from CVG will likely follow the old footprint of London, Paris, Frankfurt and Rome. They may do an Asia flight if things grow big enough. Cant see Stokholm or Lisbon, just not enough local business going that way.

Offline AmrapinVA

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1295 on: August 10, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »
Delta only flew to all those Euro cities because of the 600-flight a day connection hub. Thatís not coming back.

Offline LtCheese

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1296 on: August 13, 2018, 04:30:15 PM »
^ Agreed.

The era of hub and spoke consolidation with concentrated international gateways is ending. One need only look at the Airbus A380. No American carriers operate it and only the most hub-and-spoke focused airlines (Emirates, Ethiad, BA, Lufthansa, Qantas, etc.) operate a large number of them.

The growth is in new city pairs which take advantage of hyper efficient midsize airliners like the 787 and the A330neo. That would open up CVG to other midsize cities because they are cheap to fly into and can now be supported with lower demand.

Considering the cost of landing slots, CVG to Heathrow, Frankfurt, and Paris would require crazy high load factors in order to remain profitable.

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1297 on: Yesterday at 09:48:00 AM »
CVG road construction begins
By Erin Caproni  Ė Digital Producer, Cincinnati Business Courier

The Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport will begin construction this week on a new entrance road expected to improve access to the airport.

The construction, which is expected to continue through the third quarter of 2019, will create a new entrance to the main terminal and connection to the consolidated rental car facility thatís scheduled to open in late 2021. Construction on that project is expected to begin in late 2019.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/08/14/cvg-road-construction-begins.html

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:45:14 PM by ColDayMan »