PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Shoreway Boulevard Conversion  (Read 15375 times)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Cleveland: Shoreway Boulevard Conversion
« Reply #1410 on: April 27, 2018, 11:06:58 PM »
Not to mention we go downtown as a family on the rapid sometimes to hang out at public square, walk around, and eat lunch somewhere on a weekend.

No doubt. But one of the major problems for Edgewater is the lack of public transit.

When is the BRT going to stop there and help alleviate the traffic issues?

It stops there but only on Saturdays. Pretty useless.
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1411 on: April 28, 2018, 08:21:34 AM »
Not to mention we go downtown as a family on the rapid sometimes to hang out at public square, walk around, and eat lunch somewhere on a weekend.

No doubt. But one of the major problems for Edgewater is the lack of public transit.

When is the BRT going to stop there and help alleviate the traffic issues?

It stops there but only on Saturdays. Pretty useless.

The CSU Line already runs on Thursday evenings--with good frequency.   What would it take RTA to add a stop for these events?

Offline CbusTransit

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1412 on: April 28, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
I'm sorry, but if I'm commuting back to Bay Village or Lakewood or Rocky River from Downtown after work on Thursday, there is no way I want to sit in line to enter Edgewater Park on my way home.

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1413 on: April 28, 2018, 03:07:29 PM »
The bus could take a quick run through Battery Park or something so people could walk through one of the tunnels.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was talking about the 22, not the BRT.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:30:01 PM by jam40jeff »

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1414 on: April 28, 2018, 05:33:15 PM »
I'm sorry, but if I'm commuting back to Bay Village or Lakewood or Rocky River from Downtown after work on Thursday, there is no way I want to sit in line to enter Edgewater Park on my way home.

It wouldn't have to if the road had been reworked with at grade intersections.  Or for a much simpler solution, reduce the Shoreway to 2 lanes each direction, with a breakdown/bus lane.  The bus could just pull over in that lane and drop off pax at the stop right above the Edgewater Beachhouse without even having to exit.   

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1415 on: April 28, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »

The CSU Line already runs on Thursday evenings--with good frequency.   What would it take RTA to add a stop for these events?

RTA Deputy General Manager, Engineering & Project Management, Mike Schipper, lives in Lakewood and saw the traffic backups at Edgewater and became the instigator of having the buses exit the Shoreway to stop at Edgewater on Saturdays only. Not sure why he didn't add Thursday evenings, or perhaps all weekday evenings, to include the Edgewater stop. Perhaps it was because he didn't want the buses to get stuck in that traffic too. I told him I had a way around that, and shared these images with him. That was a year ago. I realize things move slowly sometimes.....

BTW, I would do the station stop at West 76th but I change the other stops by creating intersections with Cass/W56th and W45th....

csu-brt-batterypk-ohiocitys by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1416 on: June 13, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »
The number of dead trees in this median is staggering.  Also, entirely predictable.  Good news is they don't stifle the lake and skyline views quite as badly as I thought they would... but that's because they're dead.

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1417 on: June 13, 2018, 05:43:27 PM »
The number of dead trees in this median is staggering.  Also, entirely predictable.  Good news is they don't stifle the lake and skyline views quite as badly as I thought they would... but that's because they're dead.

The cost for those trees is like a recruitment tool for the tea party.

Offline CbusTransit

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1418 on: June 13, 2018, 08:46:40 PM »
Usually they get a re-planting policy on a tree if it dies within the first year.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1419 on: June 13, 2018, 11:03:54 PM »
Usually they get a re-planting policy on a tree if it dies within the first year.

And there's probably an out clause if the city doesn't water them.  Which plays into surfohio's point, because the long term maintenance gets pricey.  You don't just install this type of landscaping, you have to keep installing it forever.  And you can't just bring in regular landscapers for that, due to it being in the middle of a road, and you pretty much eliminated the road's shoulders to make room for it, so a truckload of orange barrels is needed for the slightest task.  Even if we get 100 new trees for free, we're still 1000 man-hours away from achieving vibrancy.

Here's an idea-- let's buy 100 trees and instead of blowing millions to install them in a road, let's just plant them in a vacant lot.  I call it "forest."

Offline TPH2

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1420 on: June 13, 2018, 11:06:06 PM »

The cost for those trees is like a recruitment tool for the tea party.

EDG knew that those trees would die. But ODOT insisted on them. Looks like EDG was correct.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1421 on: June 13, 2018, 11:17:27 PM »
Interesting.  I had thought the landscaped median, trees and all, was crucial to the boulevard concept.  And I had thought ODOT was opposed to the entire project.  What did EDG propose?  And who is EDG?