Author Topic: Cincinnati: Complete Streets and Road Diets  (Read 2626 times)

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Cincinnati: Complete Streets and Road Diets
« on: May 02, 2018, 11:42:09 AM »
Starting a new catch-all thread for complete streets, road diets, pedestrian safety enhancements, and other traffic calming projects around Greater Cincinnati, since many of these things were getting lumped into the Liberty Street thread.

New international-style crosswalks were painted at a few intersection around OTR earlier this week:

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cincinnati: Complete Streets and Road Diets
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 05:16:36 PM »
Another international style crosswalk was painted at 12th & Walnut and it looks like one is about to be painted at Central Parkway and Walnut.

However, the city has started grinding down parts of 14th Street to be repaved, and in the process, has destroyed parts of the crosswalk in my second photo above. It just blows my mind that the city can't better coordinate these projects to avoid destroying paint that was literally put down 1-2 days earlier.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 04:46:28 PM »
The City of Cincinnati has launched this new tool where people can report problematic areas for pedestrians and bicyclists, where cars speed excessively, and where people would like to see crosswalks or bike lanes added. I would urge everyone reading this who's in Cincinnati to go on this map and add areas where you would like to see improvements.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:27:17 PM »
Is there any reason why this section of Clifton Avenue (between McMillan and Ludlow) should be 7 lanes wide? I can't imagine that this stretch gets enough traffic to justify that many lanes. There are virtually no storefronts along that stretch, so having 24 hour parallel parking on both sides of the street seems excessive. It seems like a road diet taking it down to 5 total lanes, with parking allowed on both sides during non-peak hours, would make the street much safer and cause virtually no disruption for drivers.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »
Yeah I have suggested for years that the streetcar should be extended in a bored tunnel from Findlay Market to Clifton Ave. in this area, where it could then either travel in a landscaped center reservation (similar to streetcars in New Orleans) or travel along the east side of the road from Straight St. to Ludlow Ave. 

Also, a streetcar route could easily turn east at MLK and travel on its own ROW parallel to either the north or south side of MLK aross the north edge of UC. 

Online carnevalem

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 12:39:08 PM »
The intersections in Mount Lookout Square take up a lot of room, especially for two relatively narrow streets. Would replacing the intersections with roundabouts on the north and south sides of the square work?

Offline BigDipper 80

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 01:21:19 PM »
Is there enough space to squeeze in roundabouts? I think the better solution would be to just reconfigure either end of the square so that the whole thing functions as a roundabout so that you can get rid of the left turn lanes and lights, but it would lead to significant increases if you're trying to turn left from Linwood to Delta.

Alternatively, you could probably do something where you reconfigure the square entirely and just put a large plaza on the western (or eastern) side where there is currently roadway, and have Linwood meet at Delta with simple T-intersections. Excuse the poor-quality Paint doodle, but I'm thinking something like this:
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 01:31:54 PM »
The current configuration makes people slow down and pay attention.  Isn't that the glorious promise of traffic circles? 

Look at me, I live in an area with traffic circles.  We're so damn smart. 

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 11:54:48 PM »
The unfortunate thing about Mt. Lookout Square is that there's such a high traffic volume, especially in the evening rush, and the business owners are completely parking crazy.  Those awful spaces in the middle of the square are sacrosanct.  There's been proposals floated over the years for the plaza idea, except hurr durr parking.  I think it would be an interesting exploration, though traffic engineering would definitely say Linwood should be the through street instead of Delta, since the volume of drivers going home to Anderson Township from Uptown is what swamps it.  There might also be a way to do a pinched/teardrop type of roundabout like you see at highway interchanges https://goo.gl/maps/YnNtngPrZhn (assuming the geometry works out, but regardless I suspect UDF and Chase Bank would be none too happy about encroaching into their parking lots), allowing the sidewalks to be widened in the middle along with angled or 90º parking, but again traffic engineering would never allow that. 

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 12:09:25 PM »
It's so funny to me when places have a "square" like that and fill it with parking instead of public space where people can gather. Mt. Lookout Square could be another Oakley Square if they would eliminate the parking lot.

Offline JYP

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »
It's so funny to me when places have a "square" like that and fill it with parking instead of public space where people can gather. Mt. Lookout Square could be another Oakley Square if they would eliminate the parking lot.

The City had a plan to do that about a decade ago and all the Mt. Lookout businesses freaked!
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 02:54:08 PM »
As-is it's one of the city's greatest strange intersections.  It works.  People drive slowly, even when traffic is light, which is safe for pedestrians and gives people time to look around and see what stores are in the square. 

The center parking lot only has 30 spaces.  Replacing it with an underground garage would be amazingly expensive for so few parking spots, so the garage would need to be bigger to make it worth it.  A bigger garage could serve as resident parking for a residential midrise, but a 10-story building would destroy (DESTROY!) the character of the "square". 

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 03:03:11 PM »
People do drive slowly, but it backs up a lot.  Linwood backs up to Paxton and Delta backs up past Spencer Hill in the evenings.  Snow is a disaster and there can be a solid line of nearly stationary traffic from Madison Road all the way to Beechmont levee, but that's not the square's fault. 

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 03:14:24 PM »
Yeah it's definitely backed up a lot especially Linwood.  The funny thing I figured out if I am coming home that way from EWH is take Observatory all the way to Delta then down.  Literally no traffic from there.

The other thing I think they could do to fix that is take off street parking from 4-6 to 4-7. I can't tell you how many times at 6:10 cars speed down Linwood in the right only to hit a solo parked car then have to merge back in creating even more delay.

And actually south from Delta I've seen it backed up almost to Kroger many times, definitely goes past Spring Hill usually daily.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 03:20:03 PM »
A bunch of traffic cones recently appeared on Main Street, leading me to believe that the second phase of the Main Street road diet project is underway. The first phase was completed last fall. It's interesting that the city is now referring to the project simply as a "streetscape" ... I believe they were openly calling it a "safety improvement project" a few months ago.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 05:25:10 PM »
^ Update: There are no parking signs in the 1200 block of Main (west side) saying no parking for the next two days. Utility crews are also doing work in front of 13th & Main.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 05:13:33 PM »
Work has started on a new bumpout on the west side of Main Street across from New York Groceries:

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 04:05:58 PM »
The Main Street project is in full swing. The new sidewalk is complete between the intersection of 13th & Main and Goodfella's (including the two new bump-outs), but still in progress between Goodfella's and 12th & Main. Work has also started on the bump-outs in front of Mr. Pitiful's and MOTR. During all of this construction, Main Street is down to 1 travel lane and ... it's actually quite nice. Can we keep it this way permanently? :)

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 04:55:43 PM »
Are any of the other otr streets scheduled to get the same treatment?

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 04:57:24 PM »
No. Main Street businesses and residents had to fight very hard for many years to get this one relatively small traffic calming project to move forward. I don't think residents of any other OTR streets are making a similar effort. Hopefully, when it's complete, it can be used as a model for other streets though. Vine especially should be getting more bump-outs and clearly marked crosswalks because of the amount of foot traffic on that street.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 02:37:31 PM »
^Agreed. Bump outs on Vine would make a ton of sense.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 09:43:24 PM »
Unusual sight at 12th & Main. Old sidewalk has been removed revealing a basement that actually extends out of the building and underneath the sidewalk. I have no idea how they pour a new sidewalk on top of this.

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 10:04:53 PM »
Basements under sidewalks are super common around downtown, and the city hates them.  Previously they might be supported with steel, iron, or stone vaults.  Reinforced concrete became common around the turn of the 20th century.  Now the city wants a structural slab below with a 5" non-structural topping slab to allow them to attach things like parking meters, sign posts, and other street furniture.  Older sidewalks generally had a pretty thin topping slab of only 1"-2" like what we can see in your photo in front of the door. 

Offline Jimmy Skinner

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 07:39:01 AM »
The owners of that building are really lucky because as part of the sidewalk work, the city is re-building their structural slab sidewalk.  Mine was such a maintenance nightmare, I removed all the utilities from that area and filled it in.

Offline BigDipper 80

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 07:43:59 AM »
Somewhat unrelated, but that Aladdin's sign is comically small and hard to read.
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 07:53:05 AM »
The owners of that building are really lucky because as part of the sidewalk work, the city is re-building their structural slab sidewalk.  Mine was such a maintenance nightmare, I removed all the utilities from that area and filled it in.

I believe that Urban Sites is the contractor in charge of the Main Street streetscape project, as well as the owner of that retail space, as well as one of the parties that pushed for the streetscape to happen in the first place.

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 02:00:16 AM »
Urban Sites has been killing it. I feel like once 3cdc steps back from OTR development, we will be in really good hands if Urban Sites decides to pick up where 3cdc left off. They seem super competent as developers.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 10:00:52 AM »
Somewhat unrelated, but that Aladdin's sign is comically small and hard to read.

Businesses come and go from OTR all the time and I've never heard of them thanks to the lack of signs.  I think some business owners assume that everyone is using their phones to navigate the real world, but many are not. 

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 10:25:47 AM »
Signs are still deathly important.

Offline neilworms

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 10:26:46 AM »
Yet the city has draconian sign laws... :/