PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: The Death Penalty  (Read 267 times)

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
The Death Penalty
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:27:25 AM »
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere - I did a search and couldn't find a relevant topic.

A current story - https://eji.org/news/alabama-to-execute-michael-eggers-despite-severe-mental-illness

Michael Eggers is facing an execution date this Thursday, March 15, without legal help because a judge allowed him to fire his attorneys and abandon his appeals despite strong evidence that he is severely mentally ill.

Mr. Eggers has a personal and family history of mental illness. His brother is institutionalized in a mental hospital with schizophrenia, and family observed that Mr. Eggers showed symptoms similar to his brother.

Jail and prison authorities recognized Mr. Eggers's mental illness and treated him with anti-psychotic medications. Correctional officers observed he was paranoid, delusional, and suicidal, and placed him in protective custody after he tried to kill himself.

It appears Mr. Eggers will be executed in two days.

The death penalty is extremely sad and barbaric.

Online bfwissel

• Premium Member
  • Key Tower 947'
Re: The Death Penalty
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:16:24 AM »
It has always bothered me when so-called Pro-Life people argue strongly in favor of the death penalty.  It really boggles my mind.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 10:00:29 AM »
After a brief 3 year hiatus, Ohio executed two people last year. The first was Ronald Phillips, a man whose crime serves as a perfect example of why Ohio needs the death penalty.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:02:36 AM »
After a brief 3 year hiatus, Ohio executed two people last year. The first was Ronald Phillips, a man whose crime serves as a perfect example of why Ohio needs the death penalty.

Why is that better than life in prison?

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 10:08:11 AM »
Ohio needs the death penalty.

Are you pro life?

Online bfwissel

• Premium Member
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 10:10:30 AM »
Even from a practical standpoint the death penalty makes no sense.  Ronald Philips was found guilty in August 1993 and wasn't executed until June 2017.  That's nearly 24 years of legal appeals and other costs of having him on death row.  It would have cost less to have him serve life in prison which is certainly no picnic.  I guess the Shylocks of the world are so blinded by their need for a pound of flesh that they can't see the value of human life.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »

In all seriousness, @Ram23 (and @eastvillagedon and anyone else), I would suggest reading this book - http://bryanstevenson.com/the-book/

I know several people who were formerly pro-death penalty who have changed their mind since reading it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:22:05 AM by DarkandStormy »

Online Sir2geez

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »

In all seriousness, Ram (and EVD and anyone else), I would suggest reading this book - http://bryanstevenson.com/the-book/

I know several people who were formerly pro-death penalty who have changed their mind since reading it.

I used to be pro-death penalty until I became a criminal defense attorney. Our criminal system is broken. I've seen a lot over the years.

Edit: The inherent bias in our system is astounding. Race, gender, socioeconomic status often determines sentencing.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:29:51 AM by Sir2geez »

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 12:50:07 PM »
Most murders are committed for reasons involving revenge.  Having a death penalty says that we endorse the concept of revenge killing but the devil's in the details.  Still an eye for an eye though.  I don't think it dissuades anybody.  If anything it tells people to go right ahead.  Either we solve problems with individuals through killing or we don't. The middle ground is hard to defend.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 10:55:53 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-become-first-u-state-nitrogen-gas-executions-005019308.html

Oklahoma plans to start using nitrogen gas for executions, officials said on Wednesday, in what would be the first such method of capital punishment in the United States.