PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: U.S. Senate Candidate Roy Moore (R)  (Read 2701 times)

Offline DarkandStormy

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
U.S. Senate Candidate Roy Moore (R)
« on: November 13, 2017, 03:19:15 PM »
I didn't want to hijack another thread so I started a new one.  Mods, if this fits a better current event topic, feel free to move.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/woman-says-roy-moore-initiated-sexual-encounter-when-she-was-14-he-was-32/2017/11/09/1f495878-c293-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html?utm_term=.ed967464a41b

The furor started last week when The Washington Post published a story that four women said Republican candidate for Senate in Alabama Roy Moore pursued romantic relationships with them when they were between the ages of 14-18 and Moore was in his 30s.  Leigh Corfman says Moore sexually assaulted her when she was 14 and Moore was 32.  The Post says they interviewed more than 30 people who knew Moore from 1977-1982 (the time in question) and friends of Corfman.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-woman-accuses-roy-moore-sexual-assault-minor-202055321.html

Today, another woman has come forward claiming Moore assaulted her when she was just 15.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/13/roy-moore-blasts-mcconnell-wapo-as-calls-to-leave-senate-race-grow.html

Roy Moore has called the allegations "fake news" and has threatened to sue The Washington Post.

The Republican response has been scattered - https://www.yahoo.com/news/step-aside-biblical-citations-republicans-responded-roy-moore-scandal-195044547.html

Leaders like John Kasich, (now) Mitch McConnell, John McCain, and Mitt Romney have called for Moore to step down and leave the race.

Others have said Moore should step aside "if the allegations are true."  This group included McConnell initially, Ted Cruz, Corey Gardner, and the White House.

Some have doubled down on their support.  They include Alabama State Auditor Jim Zeigler (making a bizarre reference to Joseph, Mary, and Jesus), chairman of the Republican Party in Bibb County Alabama Jerry Power, and a few others.

The election for the Senate seat previously held by Jeff Sessions is on December 12th.  Doug Jones is the Democratic candidate.

Offline YABO713

Re: U.S. Senate Candidate Roy Moore (R)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 03:35:52 PM »
This is written by a Conservative, mind you...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/roy-moores-gop-stands-for-grand-old-pedobears

Also, isn't it totally normal for a District Attorney to sign high school girls yearbooks?

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:40:07 PM »
Alabama state officials actually floated pushing the election date back in order to give Moore a chance to withdraw and someone else a chance to take his place, but considering that some ballots have actually already been cast, that seems unlikely.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/359872-republicans-float-ways-to-push-back-ala-special-election-date

That said, I would consider it a healing moment for the country and a win for at least some baseline standards of behavior in public officials if (a) Roy Moore were to win this Alabama special election, and (b) 18 Republicans would then immediately join 49 Democrats in expelling him from his seat.  Too much to hope for?  Maybe, but if McConnell can corral that many votes still, it's within the realm of possibility.  And the Republicans would be unlikely to be without that seat for long, because it wouldn't throw the race to the Democratic opponent; it would simply trigger another special election, one in which the Republicans could either run Luther Strange or someone completely new (given that Strange did have some conflict-of-interest baggage that helped sink him once in the primary against Moore).

Online mu2010

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 05:43:34 PM »
Great conservative take on it:

Opt Out of the Lesser of Two Evils
by Michael Brendan Dougherty
November 11, 2017 11:30 AM

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/453661/roy-moore-republicans-lesser-two-evils

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 06:05:56 PM »
Each time one of these things hits the news (and there have been a ton of them this year), some woman in my facebook world starts a conversation and INEVITABLY some guy appears out of nowhere to condemn all men.  It's pretty obvious from his first post that he's trying to show off to all of the women.  Then the women get annoyed and start calling him out and he keeps digging himself a deeper hole.   I've seen this exact sequence of events play out 3-4 times now. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 07:08:08 PM »
Roy Moore had been banned from a mall in Gadsden, Alabama, because he badgered teen girls, residents of the town, including lawyers and cops, say: https://t.co/2PiK8XzRT8
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »
I just had this thought -- how many Senators and reps are shaking in their boots right now?  Between the 535 of them there are no doubt quite a few more stories out there. 

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 08:36:29 PM »
Roy Moore had been banned from a mall in Gadsden, Alabama, because he badgered teen girls, residents of the town, including lawyers and cops, say: https://t.co/2PiK8XzRT8

Well, I now know who I want courting the young voters on the Presidential ticket… Moore/Wiener 2020.

Online Brutus_buckeye

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »
This is written by a Conservative, mind you...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/roy-moores-gop-stands-for-grand-old-pedobears

Also, isn't it totally normal for a District Attorney to sign high school girls yearbooks?

THis was my reasoning when in the 2016 election for voting 3rd party

Offline DarkandStormy

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 08:16:38 AM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/13/563731656/twitter-storm-lashes-keurig-after-it-pulls-ad-from-hannity-show

Keurig pulled their ads from Hannity's show and some Hannity supporters recorded themselves destroying their Keurigs.

There's so many levels of stupid on this.

Online mu2010

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 08:18:43 AM »
Volvo has now pulled their ads as well. Dying to see some of these idiots smash up their Volvos. You're not a real conservative if you don't smash your Volvo.

Offline DarkandStormy

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 08:27:14 AM »
Volvo has now pulled their ads as well. Dying to see some of these idiots smash up their Volvos. You're not a real conservative if you don't smash your Volvo.

Gawd.  That reminds me of the stories I hear from my fiance at her work.  Several proud Republicans take joy in "taking those damn foreign cars off the road" as in, they're glad they were in an accident with a Toyota, Mazda, Kia, etc.  One has a running tally - says he's taken three out.  Nevermind the stupidity that those people will likely just get their cars fixed or buy another Toyota, Mazda, Kia, etc. if their car got totaled.

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 09:12:38 AM »
I just had this thought -- how many Senators and reps are shaking in their boots right now?  Between the 535 of them there are no doubt quite a few more stories out there.

I'm sure there are more.  But probably not many, maybe not any, dealing with pedophilia.  And yes, those shades of gray matter.  That's why the Clinton whataboutism is weak sauce here, even though it is quite strong in other contexts (and even The Atlantic wrote a sort of desanctifying anti-hagiography of Bill Clinton within the last week, which I read as a statement of the Clintons' declining power more than anything else ... no progressive outlet would have dared at the height of the Clinton dynasty's power, and there is no chance that article would have run if Hillary had won the election).  There are almost certainly stories in Congress of extramarital affairs and overstepping workplace boundaries, possibly egregiously so.  But the public reaction will be different (and, IMHO, justifiably so) when the younger woman in question is 28 and not 14, even if a 65-year-old Senator pursuing a 28-year-old is still off-putting.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »
The most frustrating thing the “banned from the mall” and more recent anecdotes tell is that lots of folks knew. They knew -- and stayed silent.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline DarkandStormy

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 12:33:33 PM »
https://shareblue.com/alabama-pastors-turn-on-roy-moore-after-hes-caught-faking-endorsement-letter/

Moore and his wife touted a fake endorsement letter from Alabama pastors.

Offline DarkandStormy

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 02:47:23 PM »
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/11/10/doug_jones_ad_confederate_officer_brave_soldiers_believed_in_their_cause.html

Doug...Doug....all you have to do is not be an asshat and you're likely 50/50 with Moore.

Roy Moore’s Democratic Challenger Recently Ran an Ad Praising the Confederate Army

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 02:59:12 PM »
^ I kind of understand the reason for the ad is to score some "traditional values" voters. In that regard I think it was effective.

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »
The most frustrating thing the “banned from the mall” and more recent anecdotes tell is that lots of folks knew. They knew -- and stayed silent.

On this, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, because you can ban someone from your property (even property open to the public like a mall or restaurant, in more cases than you'd think) based on a suspicion.  You don't need proof that would convince a jury.  Just like notwithstanding the OJ verdict, it's perfectly fine to say you don't want OJ around you or your kids.  Even just in my own life, there are people that I have really dark suspicions about that I would absolutely tell my wife and kids to avoid, but I have absolutely nothing close to the level of proof that would let me go to the cops.  I just have a dark animal instinct telling me that certain people (including some pretty outwardly respectable ones) are bad news.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 04:21:05 PM »

On this, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, because you can ban someone from your property

One of my friends received a lifetime ban from the Meadowlands Sports Complex because he threw a souvenir towel. 

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »

Gawd.  That reminds me of the stories I hear from my fiance at her work.  Several proud Republicans take joy in "taking those damn foreign cars off the road" as in, they're glad they were in an accident with a Toyota, Mazda, Kia, etc.  One has a running tally - says he's taken three out.  Nevermind the stupidity that those people will likely just get their cars fixed or buy another Toyota, Mazda, Kia, etc. if their car got totaled.

Or that a huge quantity of said brands are now built in places like Ohio, or.....Alabama.

Online MGM

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 09:13:42 PM »
Is there a current US Senator on trial for various corruption charges who had sex with teenage prostitutes?

Online smith

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 09:30:09 PM »
Is there a current US Senator on trial for various corruption charges who had sex with teenage prostitutes?

What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about?? 

Online smith

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 09:31:08 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/dominican-police-3-women-paid-to-make-false-claims-about-menendez/2013/03/18/f2ff253c-8fe7-11e2-9abd-e4c5c9dc5e90_story.html?utm_term=.90159c73f518

Dominican police: 3 women paid to make false claims about Menendez

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 09:55:24 PM »

Almost Weinsteinish.

Seriously, historically in corrupt places, people knew they couldn't get a person of influence in trouble, but they would likely be retaliated against.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 09:56:38 PM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/13/563731656/twitter-storm-lashes-keurig-after-it-pulls-ad-from-hannity-show

Keurig pulled their ads from Hannity's show and some Hannity supporters recorded themselves destroying their Keurigs.

There's so many levels of stupid on this.

I asked a couple of them why they didn't just sell them and donate the money.   No replies.  :)

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:51 PM »

Online MGM

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 10:15:04 PM »

Almost Weinsteinish.

Seriously, historically in corrupt places, people knew they couldn't get a person of influence in trouble, but they would likely be retaliated against.

WaPo, come on man. Oh chit edit WaPo and DR police LOL. They have a nice driving while Gringo plan down there.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:18:34 PM by MGM »

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 10:17:04 PM »

The Dems are understandably dragging their feet until the new Democratic governor gets sworn in.  No way they want Christie resigning for his lieutenant and getting nominated in return.

Online MGM

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 10:21:24 PM »
And we forgot about the the 2 Term POTUS Rapist Bill Clinton. He wasn't half bad IDK. Bush 1 now has 6 claims of groping a s s. IDK, should it be an issue?

Online TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 11:50:05 PM »
Other than a few outliers, male politicians are pretty much all sexual harassers and abusers, Clinton included, but this guy is a pedophile. A whole other level of evil.