Author Topic: The Democratic Party  (Read 45004 times)

Offline jonoh81

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Re: The Democratic Party
« Reply #1140 on: August 21, 2018, 01:27:42 PM »
^ you seem to be implying that trying to create a voting block from historically oppressed populations is somehow worse than other forms of identity politics.  Could you clarify?

I would also like an answer to that.  Is pandering to coal miners or the supposed economically "left behind", or to racists for that matter, any different than pandering to racial minorities?   

"Yeah, the coal miners actually want to work" - Laura Ingraham, probably

Oh if only being liberal meant a life of luxury and privilege on the dime of the working class.  Lobster and champagne for all, on the EBT card, of course.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1141 on: August 21, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »
^ you seem to be implying that trying to create a voting block from historically oppressed populations is somehow worse than other forms of identity politics.  Could you clarify?

Voting blocs have been going on for decades.   "Identity politics" takes it another step, you should vote a certain way based on your ancestry.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1142 on: August 21, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »
^ You still haven't answered why pandering to one affinity group is different than pandering to another affinity group. 

Offline Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1143 on: August 21, 2018, 04:24:41 PM »

Voting blocs have been going on for decades.   "Identity politics" takes it another step, you should vote a certain way based on your ancestry.

But what if you come from a long line of gays?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #1144 on: August 21, 2018, 10:26:56 PM »
I don't think that's likely, for several reasons.

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1145 on: August 22, 2018, 04:05:54 PM »
The only relevant affinity group in American politics should be "Americans."

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1146 on: August 22, 2018, 04:07:25 PM »

That's a valid opinion but it isn't really Democratic party specific.

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1147 on: August 22, 2018, 04:10:09 PM »

That's a valid opinion but it isn't really Democratic party specific.

Perhaps.  But not qualitatively any more so than ...

All politics is identity politics.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1148 on: August 22, 2018, 04:10:51 PM »
But my comment was in response to a specific Democratic party critique.

My point is that both parties pander to affinity groups.  There is no difference but only one gets labeled as identity politics.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1149 on: August 22, 2018, 04:26:34 PM »
Democrats should pander to coal miners too.  Problem solved.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1150 on: August 23, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »
https://www.scribd.com/document/386839782/Fox-August-2018-Naitonal-Topline-August-22-Release

Fox News (!!) shows Democrats up 49-38 in Generic Congressional Ballot.
Very Stable Genius

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1151 on: August 23, 2018, 10:56:37 AM »
https://www.scribd.com/document/386839782/Fox-August-2018-Naitonal-Topline-August-22-Release

Fox News (!!) shows Democrats up 49-38 in Generic Congressional Ballot.

Also Bob Mueller approval jump like 12 points. Trump's walls are closing in.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1152 on: August 23, 2018, 11:09:24 AM »
^What wall

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1153 on: August 23, 2018, 11:09:59 AM »
Very Stable Genius

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1154 on: August 23, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
we're gonna build a wall and Mexico you schmucks are gonna pay for it.

Offline GCrites80s

• Premium Member
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #1155 on: August 23, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »
Democrats should pander to coal miners too.  Problem solved.

They do! See Joe Manchin. But Obama is going to take their guns.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1156 on: August 23, 2018, 12:27:55 PM »
I don't think that's likely, for several reasons.

If you believe it's part of your genetics and not a choice (yes, I do) it's entirely possible.

Offline GCrites80s

• Premium Member
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #1157 on: August 23, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
Gays have lower reproduction rates is what he meant

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1158 on: August 24, 2018, 03:28:07 PM »
Honestly, I'm at the point at which I almost hope that the Democrats do gain control of the House. Can you imagine what will happen if they lose? We're at the point that they're already so far off the rails that any setback will push them into unpredictable behavior, possibly even violence. I blame a lot of this on the media, who virtually assured the public that Hillary's election was a surefire inevitability. Her supporters, already lacking solid coping mechanisms, had a collective nervous breakdown when that didn't happen. In the two years since the election it's only gotten worse, with the media continuing to pour fuel on the fires of their discontent. There just seems to be no end to the Democrat hysteria that's caused such a rift in the country.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 03:34:43 PM by eastvillagedon »

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1159 on: August 24, 2018, 03:38:26 PM »
K

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1160 on: August 24, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »
Honestly, I'm at the point at which I almost hope that the Democrats do gain control of the House. Can you imagine what will happen if they lose? We're at the point that they're already so far off the rails that any setback will push them into unpredictable behavior, possibly even violence. I blame a lot of this on the media, who virtually assured the public that Hillary's election was a surefire inevitability. Her supporters, already lacking solid coping mechanisms, had a collective nervous breakdown when that didn't happen. In the two years since the election it's only gotten worse, with the media continuing to pour fuel on the fires of their discontent. There just seems to be no end to the Democrat hysteria that's caused such a rift in the country.

The Republicans have a few people who may well have violent reactions to either losing the House in 2018 (or, worse, the Senate) or, even worse, Trump actually running for reelection and losing in 2020.  They'll take it as conclusive evidence of a Deep State-media conspiracy to crush the movement to take America back for Real Americans(tm) before it had a chance to really take root.

That said, I don't believe there are more than an easily-ignored fringe on each side that is actually ready, willing, and able to resort to significant political violence.  A few angry protesters burning U.S. flags and couches on college campuses does not a civil war make, any more than does a bunch of angry armed men occupying a deserted park ranger station in the middle of rural-mountainous inner Oregon.

Offline edale

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1161 on: August 24, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
Yeah, its Democrat hysteria causing a rift in the country.  Surely the rift hasn't been caused by a this incompetent, criminally tied, corrupt administration. Trump actively tries to create divisions instead of unifying the country. That's his whole motivation behind his fixation on NFL players kneeling, calling nazi's good people, separating immigrant families and locking kids in cages, the travel ban, etc. Nothing says unification like incessant talk of building a wall.

I guess the US and the Allied forces are responsible for the division of the world during WWII. If we had only gone along and quietly let Germany and Japan take over the world, there would have been SO much less division and fighting!

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1162 on: August 24, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »
A Neo-Nazi killed a woman and injured many others but "the left" is unpredictable and may become violent and has caused a rift in the country?  Cool analysis.  You should probably apply to Breitbart.
Very Stable Genius

Offline jonoh81

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1163 on: August 24, 2018, 04:03:10 PM »

Solid trolling attempt, but you fumbled with the believability.  B-

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1164 on: August 24, 2018, 04:04:27 PM »
Have you ever noticed Democrats donít have a PizzaGate, InfoWars, QAnon, or Benghazi?

Itís because Democrats deal with evidence, science, and truth.

Both parties are not the same. Letís make America sane again.

Vote Blue in November.

https://twitter.com/NathanHRubin/status/1032667481847095296?s=19
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1165 on: August 24, 2018, 04:08:15 PM »

So I'll offer a disclaimer here, not a Dem but I have a take...

1. The media is part of the problem. For example, the headlining of "illegal immigrant arrested while driving his wife to hospital to deliver baby" often was lacking the CRUCIAL point that he was wanted for murder. This is clearly an example of political bias in most media outlets.

2. The media is NOT the enemy of the people, in any way.

3. The Democratic party is not to blame, at all. If anything, Democrats have been substantially restrained. ANTIFA is not a representation of the Democratic party. White Supremacy IS a representation of the GOP - I would not have said that three years ago, but between Steve King, Corey Stewart running for Senate, Roy Moore running for Senate, Don Blankenship, and the slew of Neo-Nazis running as Republicans, it's fair to say the GOP has at least tacitly endorsed it. The deranged people that run as liberals have to go to the Green Party or some other pinko-commie movement because the Democrats don't let them in.

4. The hysteria is caused when we talk to people like you, Don. I've been a Republican my whole life until 2017. I left the party because it was turning into the face of nationalism, white supremacy, protectionism, and xenophobia. I have watched friends who believed the same things as me rationalize move after move that the President has made - I had a conversation with my cousin last night over a beer and I gave him a list of positives that Trump has done for the country, afterwards I asked him to give me one negative. His answer: "Even if I may think it's a negative, he knows better, and he has a plan to turn it into a positive." If that isn't some brainwashed, cult sh** then I don't know what is.

The hysteria, on my part - is because I fear we're losing the most beautiful thing to ever grace this earth, the United States of America. Are some Dems too worked up about it? Definitely. But a lot of rational people aren't worked up enough.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1166 on: August 24, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »
I agree on your first point but let's not pretend that the media doesn't sometimes botch the story in the other direction too. 

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1167 on: August 24, 2018, 04:22:03 PM »
I agree on your first point but let's not pretend that the media doesn't sometimes botch the story in the other direction too. 

Okay... so they're a part of the problem. Let's just settle on that.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1168 on: August 24, 2018, 04:24:31 PM »

I think the media is part of the problem especially in our instant news environment.  A story gets spread on social media faster than a correction can come around.  It also doesn't help to have a president that peddles conspiracy theories and amplifies Russian active measures .

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1169 on: August 24, 2018, 04:31:30 PM »

they're a large part of the problem. You do remember the coverage on election night, right? Everyone was in tears having a meltdown! No bias there. Could they have been more unprofessional? There is no real press anymore. With few exceptions it's a giant propaganda mill for the Democrats.