PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: 2018 U.S. Senate Race  (Read 198 times)

Offline sabotage619

• Dirt Lot 0'
2018 U.S. Senate Race
« on: July 21, 2017, 08:08:09 AM »
I'm hearing more and more about the candidates in this race, so I was very surprised there wasn't already a thread started on this topic.

Incumbent Sherrod Brown will be seeking a 3rd term as Ohio Senator. Josh Mandel, State Treasurer, has also announced he will again challenge Brown for his seat. Mandel lost to Brown in the 2012 Senate race. Democrat Brown won with 50.7%, Republican Mandel had 44.7% and Independent Scott Rupert had 4.6%, according to wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Ohio,_2012
Michael Gibbins will challenge Mandel in a Republican primary, and it's possible that U.S. Representative Pat Tiberi could join the race with a good chunk of money he's already raised. There have also been rumors that best selling author, J.D. Vance might throw his hat in the GOP ring.

Offline ethlaw

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
Re: 2018 U.S. Senate Race
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 08:28:11 AM »
I know it's early, but there have already been some polls and Mandel has been ahead. Hopefully that's just because Brown hasn't really started campaigning yet.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 08:29:42 AM »
Mandel is already off to a bad start getting admonished online for siding with Alt-right trolls.  He is gonna try to ride the Trump wave that has already crashed.  But I guess those of us in Ohio are always behind the trends.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 09:02:34 AM »
Immediately when Trump won Mandel changed his tactic to sound like the biggest Trump supporter.

Offline sabotage619

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »
Mandel is already off to a bad start getting admonished online for siding with Alt-right trolls.  He is gonna try to ride the Trump wave that has already crashed.  But I guess those of us in Ohio are always behind the trends.

An article on cleveland.com about this.

Josh Mandel sides with 'alt-light' blogger over Anti-Defamation League
Updated on July 21, 2017 at 7:16 AM Posted on July 20, 2017 at 3:58 PM
 Andrew J. Tobias, cleveland.com

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2017/07/josh_mandel_sides_with_alt-lig.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Offline sabotage619

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 09:21:05 AM »
Immediately when Trump won Mandel changed his tactic to sound like the biggest Trump supporter.
That's what I thought, but it seems Mandel is way out in front of Trump on this type of behavior. As far back as 2010 Mandel was calling his African American opponent, Kevin Boyce a Muslim in the race for State Treasurer. Boyce is not a Muslim.
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2010/10/mandel_to_stop_airing_controve.html
He accused Boyce of insider dealings, the same thing he is accusing Brown of doing. 

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 09:32:47 AM »

It's probably not a bad strategy given the fact that Trump carried Ohio with one of the biggest victory margins in nearly three decades.

Online Brutus_buckeye

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 09:39:24 AM »
Mandel wont defeat brown, the only person who could take Brown down would be Portman (theoretically) at this point. Obviously that wont happen.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »
When you (Mandel) are in the Bannon wing of the GOP, this is what you say... https://t.co/bzPTWljt3o
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline YABO713

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »
Cleveland literally watched Mandel sell his soul from establishment GOP candidate into becoming a whore for populist rhetoric. The man is a career politician elected with his family's money. He is the swamp.

Offline DarkandStormy

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 10:56:14 AM »
https://crooked.com/podcast/mike-pence-sleep-like-horse-live-cleveland/

Pod Save America episode from last month in Cleveland.  They interviewed Sherrod Brown and his wife and played a fun game with Mandel quotes (believe the game was called "Breitbart or Mandel?").  Interview starts at 46:30.

-Who promoted a tweet that said "I stand with Israel and my Judeo-Christian culture and I find Islam offensive?"

-In a conversation about sexism in the tech industry, who said there's no bias against women they just suck at interviews?

-Who came to the defense of an alt-right misogynist behind PizzaGate when the Anti-Defamation league called him out as a bigot?

-Who posted an unsubstantiated three year old story about kids getting beaten at an Ohio mosque for failing to read the Quran?

-Who called Gabby Giffords the "gun control movement's human shield?"

-Who labeled the Republican candidate for Senate a "class act" after he said pregnancies from rape were "something God intended?"

Good luck figuring them out lol.