PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Political Correctness  (Read 21496 times)

Online Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Political Correctness
« Reply #720 on: January 12, 2018, 11:14:28 AM »
^ No.  She didn't shame anybody.  I guess when you pretend there is PC in every action then you can pretend it's out of control. 

She did call him/them chauvinist.  It's possible an Alabama football player wouldn't be particularly shamed by that epithet but I think it's still fair to say that she attempted to shame him/them.

Online DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #721 on: January 12, 2018, 11:16:03 AM »
I can't believe there are a dozen posts on this stupid topic which isn't even related to political correctness.

Perhaps the kid just hadn't been interviewed by a female journalist after a game this season.  It was one of two playoff games - two of the three biggest games of the college football season.

Perhaps the quote is a bit out of context - maybe the player was changing and didn't want a female journalist looking at him while he was nude.

Chantel Jennings wrote for ESPN.com for 6 years and covers college football for The Athletic - a widely-respected sports site.  To suggest "it's more likely that she was creeping around in the locker room hoping to catch a glimpse of some scantily clad, young, muscular men" and that she's a "creep" is abhorrent and sexist (and imo, grounds for banning).  Because she's a youngish blonde reporter MUST mean she's trying to catch a glimpse of some athletic men?  What the actual **** is wrong with you?  You're despicable.

This is probably the first year in the locker rooms for Jennings - I don't know if she had locker room access with ESPN so perhaps not.  Locker rooms, as we know, have traditionally been only available to male journalists.  So I understand her "chip on the shoulder" attitude when a football player scoffs at a woman being there to interview players.

This is entirely NOT a PC issue other than to say that sports still need to do a better job of understanding that not all journalists are men and that not all female journalists are "thirsty" for some young athletic men.  She's trying to do her job and look what happens - she gets slut shamed over it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:19:18 AM by DarkandStormy »

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #722 on: January 12, 2018, 11:17:45 AM »
^ No.  She didn't shame anybody.  I guess when you pretend there is PC in every action then you can pretend it's out of control. 

She did call him/them chauvinist.  It's possible an Alabama football player wouldn't be particularly shamed by that epithet but I think it's still fair to say that she attempted to shame him/them.

But I still don't see the connection to PC.  One can disagree with what she did for reasons other than PC which is not happening here.

Online 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #723 on: January 12, 2018, 11:21:38 AM »
Flip the genders and many people would not want a male journalist having free access to a girls' team locker room.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #724 on: January 12, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
Male reporters are in women's locker rooms all the time. 

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2013/04/putting-to-rest-the-myth-that-womens-teams-dont-let-male-reporters-into-the-locker-room/

The same rules apply equally.

Online Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #725 on: January 12, 2018, 11:23:24 AM »
You may disagree with what she did but there is no PC connection here.  None.

I disagree. She automatically assumed the player didn't want her in the locker room because he was some sort of sexist, misogynist, pig. This is a direct result of a politically correct mindset.

In my opinion, she's probably off base - it's more likely that she was creeping around in the locker room hoping to catch a glimpse of some scantily clad, young, muscular men. What a creep.

Ram, even if you're being sarcastic here, chill.

============

I actually agree that I don't see this as a PC issue.  Not all issues of gender-appropriate decorum involve PC.  Perhaps more importantly, though, at least according to one of the top-rated tweets in response to that one, the Alabama locker room is closed to all reporters.  Reporters (of any gender) are supposed to interview only those student-athletes specifically made available by the team to the media.  That is an appropriate and gender-neutral rule even at the pro level and I would consider it even more appropriate at the college level, where some of the athletes might be only 18 years old (in fact, I think it's at least legally possible that some were 17, unless college football has an 18+ rule that I don't know) and none are getting paid.*

* Yes, it's Alabama, I know, that rule may not be 100% applicable but it's supposed to be.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #726 on: January 12, 2018, 11:25:42 AM »
To suggest "it's more likely that she was creeping around in the locker room hoping to catch a glimpse of some scantily clad, young, muscular men" and that she's a "creep" is abhorrent and sexist (and imo, grounds for banning).  Because she's a youngish blonde reporter MUST mean she's trying to catch a glimpse of some athletic men?  What the actual **** is wrong with you?  You're despicable.

I find it pretty ironic that in a thread where you and a few others are arguing (intermittently) that political correctness does not exist, you're calling for someone's comment to be censored, removed, and further for such speech to be outright banned.

You should note that my brash assumption was an ironic commentary on the reporter's similarly brash and uncorroborated conclusion.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #727 on: January 12, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »
I can't believe there are a dozen posts on this stupid topic which isn't even related to political correctness.

Perhaps the kid just hadn't been interviewed by a female journalist after a game this season.  It was one of two playoff games - two of the three biggest games of the college football season.

Perhaps the quote is a bit out of context - maybe the player was changing and didn't want a female journalist looking at him while he was nude.

Chantel Jennings wrote for ESPN.com for 6 years and covers college football for The Athletic - a widely-respected sports site.  To suggest "it's more likely that she was creeping around in the locker room hoping to catch a glimpse of some scantily clad, young, muscular men" and that she's a "creep" is abhorrent and sexist (and imo, grounds for banning).  Because she's a youngish blonde reporter MUST mean she's trying to catch a glimpse of some athletic men?  What the actual **** is wrong with you?  You're despicable.

This is probably the first year in the locker rooms for Jennings - I don't know if she had locker room access with ESPN so perhaps not.  Locker rooms, as we know, have traditionally been only available to male journalists.  So I understand her "chip on the shoulder" attitude when a football player scoffs at a woman being there to interview players.

This is entirely NOT a PC issue other than to say that sports still need to do a better job of understanding that not all journalists are men and that not all female journalists are "thirsty" for some young athletic men.  She's trying to do her job and look what happens - she gets slut shamed over it.

I think you are getting too caught up in Ram's creeping comments. it is an obvious troll job.

Online DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #728 on: January 12, 2018, 11:32:45 AM »
To suggest "it's more likely that she was creeping around in the locker room hoping to catch a glimpse of some scantily clad, young, muscular men" and that she's a "creep" is abhorrent and sexist (and imo, grounds for banning).  Because she's a youngish blonde reporter MUST mean she's trying to catch a glimpse of some athletic men?  What the actual **** is wrong with you?  You're despicable.

I find it pretty ironic that in a thread where you and a few others are arguing (intermittently) that political correctness does not exist, you're calling for someone's comment to be censored, removed, and further for such speech to be outright banned.

You should note that my brash assumption was an ironic commentary on the reporter's similarly brash and uncorroborated conclusion.

From hence forth, ANYONE that exhibits trolling behavior, loves to bicker without a point, or threatens anyone will be in for a SWIFT suspension.  Our suspension policy for the Currents Events section is as follows:

1st Suspension: 2 weeks
2nd Suspension: 2 months
3rd Suspension: 2 years

I cannot believe I have to reiterate having a civil, adult conversation on here but here we are.  You may post APPROPRIATE articles and have a civil discussion (that includes CIVIL debates) but the SECOND it goes over the line, that forumer will be suspended.  Period.  There will be no questions, like a North Korean prison.  Just act like an adult and you'll be fine.

Spoiler - the administrators can determine as they see fit if you're trolling does not deserve to be posted or if you should be suspended/banned.  You should note that this is what I was referring to.

Online DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #729 on: January 12, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »
I think you are getting too caught up in Ram's creeping comments. it is an obvious troll job.

If after taking a stance last fall against trolling the OU admins want to allow it then fine by me.  Just thought we were cracking down on trolling is all.

Online 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #730 on: January 12, 2018, 11:35:44 AM »

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2013/04/putting-to-rest-the-myth-that-womens-teams-dont-let-male-reporters-into-the-locker-room/

What myth?  A man around girls is more likely to raise creeper concerns in most people, particularly in the current news environment.  In this story, gender shouldn't have been an issue.  If the player made it an issue, he deserved to be called out.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #731 on: January 12, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
^ men exist in women's locker rooms and have for years.  The only complaining comes from male athletes.  It is the job of a reporter to get the story and access to locker rooms has always been a part of that.  If we don't allow access to one segment of the population then we are adversely affecting their careers.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #732 on: January 12, 2018, 12:00:49 PM »

If after taking a stance last fall against trolling the OU admins want to allow it then fine by me.  Just thought we were cracking down on trolling is all.

Well let me rephrase myself, I cant speak for Ram, I don't know him, but I hope his comments were trolling and not meant to be taken seriously.

Offline Stormy Daytons

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #733 on: January 13, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »

Oh, don't worry, we're watching.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #734 on: January 15, 2018, 11:22:25 PM »
Today in 1987, Pres. Reagan spoke on #MartinLutherKing's birthday:

"If someone, even a friend, uses an ugly word referring to another's race or religion, let's make it clear we won't put up with it... There is no place for them in a democratic and free America." #MLKDay

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/952972890458206209

who knew that Reagan was so PC?

Online TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #735 on: January 15, 2018, 11:33:14 PM »
Sure beats his press secretary's joking about AIDS.

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • BANNED
« Reply #736 on: January 16, 2018, 12:29:03 AM »

Oh, don't worry, we're watching.

You're a hoot :)

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #737 on: January 18, 2018, 11:59:52 AM »
Okay... I've gotta say... while Nielsen was dead wrong in her tacit defense of the sh**hole remarks...

The GOP trolling Cory Booker re: mansplaining was incredible.

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #738 on: January 18, 2018, 02:02:28 PM »
Okay... I've gotta say... while Nielsen was dead wrong in her tacit defense of the sh**hole remarks...

the next thing you're going to tell me is that you don't believe a blonde-haired woman with an obviously Scandinavian sounding name did not know that Norway is overwhelmingly white. lol

Online DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #739 on: January 18, 2018, 02:10:00 PM »
"I hire the best people."

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #740 on: January 18, 2018, 03:42:42 PM »

the next thing you're going to tell me is that you don't believe a blonde-haired woman with an obviously Scandinavian sounding name did not know that Norway is overwhelmingly white. lol

Yeah, get off the defensive Don. I meant incredible in the sense that any democratic response to the GOP critique would be hypocrisy. It was a compliment

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #741 on: January 19, 2018, 01:55:11 PM »

Yeah, get off the defensive Don. I meant incredible in the sense that any democratic response to the GOP critique would be hypocrisy. It was a compliment

it was a joke! she said this, or something similar. geez, talk about being defensive ::)

- @SenatorLeahy: Norway is a predominantly white country, isn't it?
- @SecNielsen Umm.. I.. eh.. I actually do not know that, sir, but I imagine that is the case.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #742 on: January 19, 2018, 02:36:11 PM »
I think what makes many arguments about PC culture spurious aside from some of the studies I've posted is that many different things are described as PC run amok.  This is no accident.  Conservatives have been pushing this strategy since the mid 80s.  Using a term like political correctness to describe many different topics and actions that tend to fall on the left is way to dismiss all of liberalism without having to form any real arguments against the ideas.  It is similar to conservative strategies on other ideas like climate change.  If they pretend that climate change is made up by liberals, they don't have to debate solutions.  It's quite a brilliant strategy though. 

These are the things that have been described as PC

being offended (rather vague and since everyone gets offended it's easy to prove)
protesting things (not wanting to be exposed to different ideas)
trying to shut down speech (although people on all sides do this - usually fringe actors)
thinking about other's feeling (validation)
discussing certain social concepts
saying happy holidays
discussing gender as a social construction (in this case the different idea comes from the PC person and the anti-PCs don't want to be exposed to a different idea)
firing someone who feels that a class of his coworkers is inferior to him

as you can see, if you create enough things then everything can be a sign of PC.  but interestingly some seem to contradict each other.  feel free to add more to the list of things are PC behavior. 

PC began in the late 80s, right after I left college.   We were the opposite, we could actually discuss politics but differences were not taken personally.  Admittedly, Case was one of the more conservative campuses, but the trend was widespread.   

I suspect PC came about partly as a way to promote "groupthink" on the left, but mainly because taking acrimonious out of the political discussion (which everyone right of Rick Nagin was trying to do) was putting the left at a disadvantage.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #743 on: January 19, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »

Booker's attempt to paint cynicism as somehow "cowardly" was grossly naive at best but more reprehensible than anything else.   It's closely allied to skepticism, which is absolutely essential in a world swimming in propaganda (on all sides).  He deserves what he gets.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #744 on: January 19, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »
According to the polls and research I've and an anti-pc poster provided a few pages back.  that hasn't changed.  The overwhelming majority of college aged people believe people should be able to discuss offensive issues they only oppose the use of slurs.

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #745 on: January 19, 2018, 02:43:14 PM »
PC isn't some big conspiracy... it's a good idea run amok.

Once a month, me and my goddaughter play this game so she can learn her 50 states and capitols. Each time she improves her score, I take her for ice cream, play putt putt, go to the movies, etc. I've realized, she wants to play the game more and more now because she knows her score will increase and we can go do something cool.

That's PC. It began with an actual cause of action against discrimination, primarily on corporate and college campuses. The liberal elements within these institutions have realized that political correctness can serve a more progressive agenda, and they've begun pushing political correctness into areas that were not even on the radar 10 years ago.

I personally oppose censorship of any speech in traditional public or limited public forums. I think even the worst, most horrible ideas need to be put in the open so they can be openly dispelled. Having said that, PC isn't the cancer to society some of my fellow Conservatives make it out to be. Its just an annoyance.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #746 on: January 19, 2018, 02:43:18 PM »

Not really.   

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/050811

As an aside, I wholly agree with the tone of this article.  It's a stupid and antiquated tradition originally meant to keep female reporters out.   Why hold on to it.

Online DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #747 on: January 19, 2018, 02:46:50 PM »
Jason Whitlock is an idiot.  Citing him holds no water.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #748 on: January 19, 2018, 02:49:07 PM »
the analogies he used hurt my brain.  Why would  we interview interview politicians and actors in bathrooms?

How is that analogous to a locker room that is part of the game?

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #749 on: January 19, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »
^To you. Not to the thousands of people that read / listen to him.

That's what bugs me about our current political and ideological environment. I've never met more people on both sides who KNOW they're right.