PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 294912 times)

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #17940 on: June 13, 2018, 08:59:57 PM »
More fascist type language from the RNC:

Complacency is our enemy. Anyone that does not embrace the @realDonaldTrump agenda of making America great again will be making a mistake
https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1007070617714286592

Online eyehrtfood

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #17941 on: June 14, 2018, 12:08:10 AM »
Not sure how "The Trump Presidency" has any place on a site that states the below on its home page - it seems far more off-topic than a guy writing a restaurant review in a development forum (which'll get your post cut in 10 seconds.. while this subject has 600 pages of ofyen-inflammatory opinions):

"Welcome to UrbanOhio.com - This is an awesome, free site for all to learn about the wonderful urban areas of the state of Ohio."
(Is "Trump" some urban Dayton neighborhood I don't know about?)

- but must admit.. it's a good read. The desperate, "stick it to those gun-totin' racism-normalizin', wall-buildin' Republicans" tone of soooooooo many posts.. as well as the sheer number of posts by angry, seemingly inconsolable posters - is, well, hard to look away from.

Hey, I'm no Trump fan. The guy shouldn't be President. (And haven't voted for this or any Republican in probably 25 years... ). But I also am not worked up about the *fair-and-square* results of the 2016 election.. And, frankly, the joy this Trump thread brings me in seeing so many squirming posters spewing their overtly liberal venom makes me wish for 6.5 years more of "TTP". Keep up the good work, boyz.

(Oh. And that's MY opinion... Happy to own it.. Opposite opinions are welcomed here, right?)

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #17942 on: June 14, 2018, 12:42:12 AM »
Well, this is the "Trump Presidency" thread, under the "Current Events" subforum, so discussion of the Trump Presidency would be on topic.  If it's a development thread, we don't really need to hear about your experience at some restaurant.  I'd think that was pretty self-explanatory, really.

Offline jonoh81

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #17943 on: June 14, 2018, 12:50:47 AM »
Not sure how "The Trump Presidency" has any place on a site that states the below on its home page - it seems far more off-topic than a guy writing a restaurant review in a development forum (which'll get your post cut in 10 seconds.. while this subject has 600 pages of ofyen-inflammatory opinions):

"Welcome to UrbanOhio.com - This is an awesome, free site for all to learn about the wonderful urban areas of the state of Ohio."

- but must admit.. it's a good read. The desperate, "stick it to those gun-totin' racism-normalizin', wall-buildin' Republicans" tone of soooooooo many posts.. as well as the sheer number of posts by angry, seemingly inconsolable posters - is, well, hard to look away from.

Hey, I'm no Trump fan. The guy shouldn't be President. (And haven't voted for this or any Republican in probably 25 years... ). But I also am not worked up about the *fair-and-square* results of the 2016 election.. And, frankly, the joy this Trump thread brings me in seeing so many squirming posters spewing their overtly liberal venom makes me wish for 6.5 years more of "TTP". Keep up the good work, boyz.

(Oh. And that's MY opinion... Happy to own it.. Opposite opinions are welcomed here, right?)

So not a Trump supporter, but totally share the same motivation- that it doesn't matter what Trump does, or what happens to America, or what happens to the world... so long as you can get your rocks off sticking it to the libs. 
Yeah, you'll fit right in. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #17944 on: June 14, 2018, 07:21:13 AM »

Complacency is our enemy. Anyone that does not embrace the @realDonaldTrump agenda of making America great again will be making a mistake

Another reason why I agree with @YABO713 that we're at least heading for a constitutional crisis or worse. When a large segment of the population believes they should follow one man's dictations even if they go against the laws of this country, then we're in serious trouble. It's not about one man anymore. It's about dysfunction that's deeply rooted in a large portion of the populace....

52% of Republicans say they would support postponing the 2020 election if trump wanted to, according to washington post poll.

These people are anti American, anti democracy and unreachable. They have no consistent values. Focus on the 48% and non republicans.
https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/1007073320523706370?s=19
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17945 on: June 14, 2018, 08:11:43 AM »

The desperate, "stick it to those gun-totin' racism-normalizin', wall-buildin' Republicans" tone of soooooooo many posts.. as well as the sheer number of posts by angry, seemingly inconsolable posters - is, well, hard to look away from.

so many squirming posters spewing their overtly liberal venom

Please cite these posts.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17946 on: June 14, 2018, 08:13:10 AM »

Because urban redevelopment becomes irrelevant if this nation continues down its dark path.
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17947 on: June 14, 2018, 08:20:10 AM »
http://www.newsweek.com/trump-i-could-solve-syria-crisis-asking-putin-do-me-favor-friendly-chat-976441

TRUMP: I COULD SOLVE SYRIA CRISIS BY ASKING PUTIN TO 'DO ME A FAVOR'

Ok....so ask him then.  Jesus.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17948 on: June 14, 2018, 08:20:20 AM »
I gave a speech last night to a local GOP-affiliated chapter, about 30-35 people...

The purpose of the speech was to break down legal implications of the Mueller investigation as well as today's IG report as they relate to Constitutional principles and established law. This is the second time I've given this speech to such a group and most people have received it well, since I do not take a political stance on the topic, but rather point out where Constitutional quandaries may lie ahead and different aspects of investigations/litigation.

I was approached afterwards by a man in his early 40's who told me I should "rot in Hell for not supporting the President."

Here's the rest of our dialogue:

Him: "You should rot in Hell for not supporting the President!"

Me: "I'm sorry, what?"

Him: "You obviously can't accept that America is first again."

Me: "First in what?"

Him: "Our economy is bigger than China's again."

Me: "It hasn't been smaller than China's in over a century."

Him: "It was smaller than China's under Obama. And by the way, you're going to look like an idiot when the Mueller witch hunt finds nothing."

Me: "I'm sorry if you misunderstood my speech, but I gave an overview of what happens if Mueller ends up finding nothing."

Him: "The fact that you brought up the investigation means you're against the President."

Me: *Raising voice now* "I'm for America, the country I love, not one man in particular."

*Chapter leader sees what's going on and steps in*

Leader: "Mike, why in the hell are you in his face?"

Him: "Why did you invite this never Trumper to talk shit about the President?!"

Leader: "Did you listen to the talk, I don't think he even mentioned the President? It was about the Constitution."

Me: "It's fine, people hear what they want."

Him: "Yeah and you want Hillary to be President."

Me: "Uh, no. I do not. Why don't you let me walk out of here before you embarrass anyone else."

Him: "Yeah, go to Germany."

Leader: "Let's walk out together, sorry you had to deal with this."

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17949 on: June 14, 2018, 08:21:37 AM »

Swing voter in the house

Offline jonoh81

« Reply #17950 on: June 14, 2018, 08:23:22 AM »

Another reason why I agree with @YABO713 that we're at least heading for a constitutional crisis or worse. When a large segment of the population believes they should follow one man's dictations even if they go against the laws of this country, then we're in serious trouble. It's not about one man anymore. It's about dysfunction that's deeply rooted in a large portion of the populace....

52% of Republicans say they would support postponing the 2020 election if trump wanted to, according to washington post poll.

These people are anti American, anti democracy and unreachable. They have no consistent values. Focus on the 48% and non republicans.
https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/1007073320523706370?s=19

The trouble is that writing them off means you get called an elitist with TDS.  Or you get posts like the one above from someone who only cares about making liberals upset.  The reality is often that fear and ignorance makes for a more palatable narrative.  Weíre entering the Dark Ages of American thought.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17951 on: June 14, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »
I gave a speech last night to a local GOP-affiliated chapter, about 30-35 people...

The purpose of the speech was to break down legal implications of the Mueller investigation as well as today's IG report as they relate to Constitutional principles and established law. This is the second time I've given this speech to such a group and most people have received it well, since I do not take a political stance on the topic, but rather point out where Constitutional quandaries may lie ahead and different aspects of investigations/litigation.

I was approached afterwards by a man in his early 40's who told me I should "rot in Hell for not supporting the President."

Him: "It was smaller than China's under Obama. And by the way, you're going to look like an idiot when the Mueller witch hunt finds nothing."

Me: "I'm sorry if you misunderstood my speech, but I gave an overview of what happens if Mueller ends up finding nothing."

Him: "The fact that you brought up the investigation means you're against the President."

Me: *Raising voice now* "I'm for America, the country I love, not one man in particular."

Leader: "Did you listen to the talk, I don't think he even mentioned the President? It was about the Constitution."

Me: "Uh, no. I do not. Why don't you let me walk out of here before you embarrass anyone else."

Not a cult.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17952 on: June 14, 2018, 08:27:15 AM »

Sounds like a random guy. Or -- it could have been the GOP Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel...

Complacency is our enemy. Anyone that does not embrace the @realDonaldTrump agenda of making America great again will be making a mistake.

Welcome to fascism.

Offline jonoh81

« Reply #17953 on: June 14, 2018, 08:28:10 AM »

Youíre getting a taste of what a lot of us have been getting for years.  Itís on another level now entirely, but itís been growing for a long time.  Trump is a symptom, not the cause itself.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17954 on: June 14, 2018, 08:31:55 AM »
^ It just surprised me. A segment of my speech is essentially devoted to weighing the costs of the investigation if nothing comes of it from those in the inner-circle - which is supposed to be throwing a bone to people that hold that this is a waste of resources.

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #17955 on: June 14, 2018, 08:33:44 AM »
The desperate, "stick it to those gun-totin' racism-normalizin', wall-buildin' Republicans" tone of soooooooo many posts.. as well as the sheer number of posts by angry, seemingly inconsolable posters - is, well, hard to look away from.

Funny to see this juxtaposed with Yabo's story.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17956 on: June 14, 2018, 08:34:45 AM »
The question none of are addressing is -- how do we stop this before it's too late? Or is this a runaway train already?

EDIT: here is an example of how to stop it. So is the group that @YABO713 is involved in....

GOP strategist: Republicans are "cowards" for not standing up to Trump http://hill.cm/tAX3tjq
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:37:18 AM by KJP »

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17957 on: June 14, 2018, 08:36:51 AM »
^ Trumpies are reactionary.  Any type of rational discourse gets you shouted down.  I was having a discussion with a Trumpy about term limits for the state legislature and how I don't think term limits are necessary in a democracy.  I got the normal we are a Republic not a Democracy screed.  At which point, I said that the distinction is irrelevant to my point that we elect these representative in a democratic manner.  I then pointed out that we do have forms of direct democracy in Ohio and I went on to explain them.  Nothing here was a criticism of Trump or her personally.  I got a whole post of nonsense from were complete with MAGAs and how I'm a socialist.  You can't reason with some folks.

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17958 on: June 14, 2018, 08:37:15 AM »

Trump is actually the president of the country in which Dayton sits, and has considerable influence over, among other things, a vast federal budget that could have major implications for Dayton (and not simply by virtue of the presence of Wright-Patt).

Also, in past experience, if there aren't dedicated threads for political discussions, they tend to pop up in other threads, which tends to make the forum less engaging both for the people who do want to talk politics and people who don't.  This has been the experience of other forums, at least, and I have no reason to believe UO would be any different.  The existence of this thread gives users on other threads (development, infrastructure, restaurant, photo, etc. threads) the ability to tell people "take it to {insert appropriate political thread here}," and forum moderators can enforce that if people don't take hints from non-moderators.

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #17959 on: June 14, 2018, 08:40:42 AM »
I got the normal we are a Republic not a Democracy screed.

The funny thing about that one is, so far as I can tell, it seems to have been invented by conservative media and has zero basis in history.

First of all, democracy and republic are not mutually exclusive at all. "Democracy" does not mean "absolute majority rule" and never has. We're a democratic republic, and we always have been.

Second of all, even the definition of "republic" which they use seems to be different from the standard definition used globally, which is essentially "not a monarchy."

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17960 on: June 14, 2018, 08:41:01 AM »
^ Trumpies are reactionary.  Any type of rational discourse gets you shouted down.  I was having a discussion with a Trumpy about term limits for the state legislature and how I don't think term limits are necessary in a democracy.  I got the normal we are a Republic not a Democracy screed.  At which point, I said that the distinction is irrelevant to my point that we elect these representative in a democratic manner.  I then pointed out that we do have forms of direct democracy in Ohio and I went on to explain them.  Nothing here was a criticism of Trump or her personally.  I got a whole post of nonsense from were complete with MAGAs and how I'm a socialist.  You can't reason with some folks.

They can call me a socialist all they want, because I am. The difference? I'm more of a fiscal conservative than them because I believe many social services actually save us money in the long run, and I believe we should actually pay now for the services we make available.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17961 on: June 14, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »
The question none of are addressing is -- how do we stop this before it's too late? Or is this a runaway train already?

EDIT: here is an example of how to stop it. So is the group that @YABO713 is involved in....

GOP strategist: Republicans are "cowards" for not standing up to Trump http://hill.cm/tAX3tjq

We have thousands signed up in Ohio and are always looking for more by the way. Our numbers have grown from just 30,000 18 months ago to roughly 200-250k involved this year. Our enrollment is projected to grow another 40-60% by year's end.

I'd implore anyone that isn't thrilled with their party or someone who just purely wants to support Constitutional rule of law and our institutions to reach out to me.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17962 on: June 14, 2018, 08:43:25 AM »

They can call me a socialist all they want, because I am. The difference? I'm more of a fiscal conservative than them because I believe many social services actually save us money in the long run, and I believe we should actually pay now for the services we make available.

I made no comment that would lead her to believe that I am a socialist.  I am a free market guy but I recognize that market failures exist and as such regulations are sometimes needed.  And yes, a social safety net is necessary as well.  But none of these beliefs is socialist in the least.

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17963 on: June 14, 2018, 08:45:30 AM »
I got the normal we are a Republic not a Democracy screed.

First of all, democracy and republic are not mutually exclusive at all.

Sure they are.  "Democracy" is Greek (population|government).  "Republic" is Latin (sovereign|public).

Rube.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17964 on: June 14, 2018, 08:53:30 AM »
Submitted without comment:

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17965 on: June 14, 2018, 08:57:06 AM »
Also, to the entire cult thing re: Trump supporters...

That's kind of why I think this entire thing is more about psychology than policy.

Trump supporters have doubled down so many times and spent so much capital on him that they feel as if they can't bail now and there is no way out. That's exacerbated by people constantly telling them when they're wrong, usually via the President's most hated medium - the press. It's all a pressure cooker and is based on emotion.

The guy that approached me last night I'm sure is a regular guy in most aspects of life. But he's clearly committed himself to the President in such a way that rendered him incapable of listening to anything I was saying. It's all odd to me.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17966 on: June 14, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »
Also, we gonna talk about the fact that the President rationalized Kim Jong Un's murders in an interview with Brett Baier last night?

Marco Rubio got asked on FoxNews yesterday if he wanted to "walk back" and "clarify" his comments that Kim Jong Un was a murderous dictator, like wtf are we living through.

Thankfully, Rubio, being the man he is, said "no, there's nothing to clarify."

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17967 on: June 14, 2018, 09:00:08 AM »
Also, we gonna talk about the fact that the President rationalized Kim Jong Un's murders in an interview with Brett Baier last night?

Marco Rubio got asked on FoxNews yesterday if he wanted to "walk back" and "clarify" his comments that Kim Jong Un was a murderous dictator, like wtf are we living through.

It's one thing to ignore human rights abuses and on another level to defend them.  Now I see Trumpies all over defending this too.  I have no hope for the Republic.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17968 on: June 14, 2018, 09:01:53 AM »
https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1006808379053010944

The Russian press is calling the Singapore summit a "PR success" & "victory" for Kim Jong-un. One paper warns that Trump's "exaggerated self-belief in his powers of negotiation" puts the US president "at risk of manipulation by his negotiating partners."

Cool, cool.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17969 on: June 14, 2018, 09:04:53 AM »

Can't decide where Rubio ranks among the worst non-Trump Republicans.  Ryan and McConnell share the top merely by the virtue of the power they hold in their positions.  Rubio is probably in the running for that 3rd spot though.