Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 382933 times)

edale and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #17850 on: June 13, 2018, 10:40:32 AM »
A little humor (Read the reviews - though most are CERTAINLY in bad taste) amidst tragedy, and a reminder that NK still has 25 active concentration camps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yodok+Concentration+Camp/@39.6741055,126.8492027,17z/data=!4m7!3m6!1s0x5fd41ce2d92913f5:0x3f4f46d8ffdaa71a!8m2!3d39.6741014!4d126.8513914!9m1!1b1

This is pretty f***ed up but also funny. 

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17851 on: June 13, 2018, 10:42:50 AM »
Trump tweetstorm in 5-4-3-2-1.....

Former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen likely to cooperate as his attorneys leave case, sources say
https://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-lawyer-michael-cohen-cooperate-attorneys-leave-case/story?id=55861988&cid=social_twitter_abcn

That probably caused the tweet storm last week...

Which one?

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17852 on: June 13, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #17853 on: June 13, 2018, 10:45:46 AM »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17854 on: June 13, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline jonoh81

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #17856 on: June 13, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
Our president just endorsed this man... in 2018...

Yet we’re supposed to be nice to and find common ground with his supporters??

V just of you... There's 66 million of them, they're not all like this, and many of them are disenchanted with agent orange.

That seems unlikely given his base support has remained steady since inauguration.  They still back him. No more excuses.

I have 7 groomsmen in my wedding. 3 voted for Trump - 2 of them will vote for whoever runs against him next election. I had 11 close friends from law school. 6 voted for Trump - 3 will not vote for him again - all are still members of the Federalist Society. Both of my grandparents are lifelong Dems that voted for Trump. Both have become frustrated with his excuses and say they'll vote for any candidate as long as it isn't Warren or Sanders.

Don't believe all polling data you see.

Anecdotes aren’t evidence.  You know this.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17857 on: June 13, 2018, 11:04:17 AM »

V just of you... There's 66 million of them, they're not all like this, and many of them are disenchanted with agent orange.

That seems unlikely given his base support has remained steady since inauguration.  They still back him. No more excuses.

I have 7 groomsmen in my wedding. 3 voted for Trump - 2 of them will vote for whoever runs against him next election. I had 11 close friends from law school. 6 voted for Trump - 3 will not vote for him again - all are still members of the Federalist Society. Both of my grandparents are lifelong Dems that voted for Trump. Both have become frustrated with his excuses and say they'll vote for any candidate as long as it isn't Warren or Sanders.

I understand, but the world I experience everyday doesn't reflect a lot of polls I read.

Offline jonoh81

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #17858 on: June 13, 2018, 11:10:43 AM »

I understand, but the world I experience everyday doesn't reflect a lot of polls I read.

So... fake news?  Aren’t all of our individual experiences at least somewhat biased?  I’m not exactly hanging out with a lot of Trump voters, so my experience is the opposite. Polls at least can help account for that, even if they’re not always 100% on the nose.

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #17859 on: June 13, 2018, 11:12:49 AM »
Watch out for the "nobody I know voted for Nixon" fallacy, @YABO713... part of this can be explained by the type of people who you are going to be attracted to and vice versa. The grandparents are more significant than the friends because you don't choose your family.

It's interesting your grandparents don't want Warren or Sanders. Not sure of their socioeconomic background but since it's Cleveland and they're lifelong Dems can I assume white working class-ish? A lot of Dem pundits feel that Warren or Sanders would be more appealing to white working class than Obama/Clinton Dems, not less appealing.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17860 on: June 13, 2018, 11:15:10 AM »
Even the Amazon Washington Post couldn't figure out a way to spin this:

Winners and Losers: Trump is the big winner in Tuesday’s primaries

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/06/13/winners-and-losers-trump-is-the-big-winner-in-tuesdays-primaries/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3220079c3759

Winners

President Trump: It's overly simplistic to say that South Carolina GOP congressman Mark Sanford lost his primary Tuesday because of Trump. But Trump was definitely a factor in making Sanford the second House Republican in 2018 to lose a primary. The president sent off this remarkably caustic tweet on Tuesday afternoon, as voters in South Carolina were getting off work and going to vote...

The big takeaway from Sanford's loss is this: Republican lawmakers who speak out against Trump risk losing their jobs. Rep. Martha Roby (R-Ala.) was forced into a runoff after abandoning Trump nearly two years ago during the election.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17861 on: June 13, 2018, 11:15:10 AM »
Watch out for the "nobody I know voted for Nixon" fallacy, @YABO713... part of this can be explained by the type of people who you are going to be attracted to and vice versa. The grandparents are more significant than the friends because you don't choose your family.

It's interesting your grandparents don't want Warren or Sanders. Not sure of their socioeconomic background but since it's Cleveland can I assume white working class-ish? A lot of Dem pundits feel that Warren or Sanders would be more appealing to white working class than Obama/Clinton Dems, not less appealing.

Yeah, they can't stand both of them. Grandpa was a firemen for 40+ years and my Grandma was actually a technology coordinator at a school in the area. Both voted Dem pretty much for labor purposes - as did much of Cuyahoga through the 70s, 80s, and 90s

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17862 on: June 13, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »
Morning Joe writes off GOP as ‘Trumpist cult’ after Mark Sanford loses GOP primary
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/06/morning-joe-writes-off-gop-trumpist-cult-mark-sanford-loses-gop-primary/

.@SenBobCorker re: GOP/Trump (on MSNBC):
"We're in a strange place. I mean it's almost becoming a cult-ish thing. It's not a good place for any party to end up with a cult-like situation as it relates to a president that happens to be of, purportedly, the same party."
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1006916306308943877?s=19
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17863 on: June 13, 2018, 11:24:47 AM »
^That's what happens when his supporters won't admit his mistakes because they think other people are too harsh on him.

Just wait until 2019, when he starts seeing polls vs Booker, Gillibrand, et al. and starts questioning the validity of voting results.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17864 on: June 13, 2018, 11:26:27 AM »
NEW:  In a major rebuke to President Donald Trump, the Senate has adopted a measure that would block the administration's deal with Chinese telecom giant ZTE  https://t.co/kyQIhPJ22X

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #17865 on: June 13, 2018, 11:27:22 AM »
This is the danger of partisanship. Humans like to dig in their heels, arguing is essentially a grand waste of time.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17866 on: June 13, 2018, 11:27:34 AM »
Frau Ingraham has tweeted out that PRuitt must go.  I expect him gone by the end of the week. The 1,256th scandal was just too much.

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #17867 on: June 13, 2018, 11:29:19 AM »
Just wait until 2019, when he starts seeing polls vs Booker, Gillibrand, et al. and starts questioning the validity of voting results.

If Trump loses in 2020 he is going to claim it was rigged against him and he's not going to voluntarily leave the White House. Somebody will have to tell him he needs to go, be it Congress, the military, who knows. That will be the major test for America and if we're going to be a country that's more than a 300 year flash in the pan.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17868 on: June 13, 2018, 11:31:46 AM »
Even the Amazon Washington Post

This is trolling.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17869 on: June 13, 2018, 11:36:12 AM »

This is trolling.

Please, I'm sure you're aware of this and the background behind it, but in case you aren't here's an article:

Trump Is Right. It Is the Amazon Washington Post.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/04/04/trump-amazon-washington-post-jeff-bezos-217774

President Donald Trump’s insistence on calling the Washington Post the “Amazon Washington Post” riles the newspaper’s executive editor, Martin Baron, to no end. He wants one and all to know that the online retailer and the newspaper are distinct corporate entities...

Bezos became the world’s richest person through his labors at Amazon, which he still controls. He purchased the Post in 2013 with $250 million of his Amazon pin money. While it might be more accurate to call the newspaper the “Bezos Washington Post,” seeing as Bezos and Amazon are joined at the hip, it’s not ridiculous to speak of the paper—at least in the vernacular—as the Amazon Washington Post. If Amazon didn’t exist, it’s unlikely the Washington Post would exist in its current form.

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #17870 on: June 13, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »

It's interesting your grandparents don't want Warren or Sanders. Not sure of their socioeconomic background but since it's Cleveland can I assume white working class-ish? A lot of Dem pundits feel that Warren or Sanders would be more appealing to white working class than Obama/Clinton Dems, not less appealing.

Yeah, they can't stand both of them. Grandpa was a firemen for 40+ years and my Grandma was actually a technology coordinator at a school in the area. Both voted Dem pretty much for labor purposes - as did much of Cuyahoga through the 70s, 80s, and 90s

Why? It's interesting because my dad is more of a lifelong Republican (didn't like either candidate and chose not to vote this past election) with a white working class upbringing though he university educated. He's relatively socially conservative, but sometimes he says things that sound further to the left economically than I am. I could totally see him going for Sanders over Clinton.

I'm more liberal, vote for Dems, but I'm business minded and tend to roll my eyes at some of Sanders' anti-business rhetoric and prefer the Obama/Clinton style.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17871 on: June 13, 2018, 11:38:11 AM »

This is trolling.

Please, I'm sure you're aware of this and the background behind it, but in case you aren't here's an article:

Trump Is Right. It Is the Amazon Washington Post.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/04/04/trump-amazon-washington-post-jeff-bezos-217774

President Donald Trump’s insistence on calling the Washington Post the “Amazon Washington Post” riles the newspaper’s executive editor, Martin Baron, to no end. He wants one and all to know that the online retailer and the newspaper are distinct corporate entities...

Bezos became the world’s richest person through his labors at Amazon, which he still controls. He purchased the Post in 2013 with $250 million of his Amazon pin money. While it might be more accurate to call the newspaper the “Bezos Washington Post,” seeing as Bezos and Amazon are joined at the hip, it’s not ridiculous to speak of the paper—at least in the vernacular—as the Amazon Washington Post. If Amazon didn’t exist, it’s unlikely the Washington Post would exist in its current form.

So wait, are corporations not separate entities? 

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17872 on: June 13, 2018, 11:39:45 AM »
my dad is more of a lifelong Republican (didn't like either candidate and chose not to vote this past election)

Tell him to be careful.  The Ohio GOP has legal grounds to purge him from the voter rolls.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17873 on: June 13, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »
This is the danger of partisanship. Humans like to dig in their heels, arguing is essentially a grand waste of time.

Which is why reunification of this country is becoming more and more distant.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17874 on: June 13, 2018, 11:42:38 AM »
@mu2010 I think the Dems can capture a lot of votes if they focus on an economically liberal agenda, rather than socially.

While that is essentially the antithesis of my personal ideology, I think  its the only way the dems win back a lot of that white working class vote.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17875 on: June 13, 2018, 11:46:37 AM »
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/robert-mueller-files-request-for-150-blank-subpoenas-in-paul-manafort-case

Mueller just upped the blank subpoena request in Manafort's case from 70 to 150.  That's 75 potential witnesses.  The judge in that case has moved the trial date to July 25.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17876 on: June 13, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »
Lawrence O'Donnell
@Lawrence

Note to news media: there is no North Korea "deal." If you use the word "deal" you're spreading Trump propaganda.

A deal has terms, requirements, dates, numbers, specific consequences for violations of the deal.

The last time Trump made a deal was his deal with Stormy Daniels.

https://twitter.com/Lawrence/status/1006919663736053760

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17877 on: June 13, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »

This is trolling.

It's trolling the executives of the Washington Post.  They might care but they're not here.  It's also trolling Jeff Bezos.  I doubt he cares even if he reads these boards.

If trolling high rollers and public officials and people in the public eye who aren't actually here were banned, I'd never stop removing posts.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17878 on: June 13, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »

4% growth is easy.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/realer.nr0.htm

According to BLS release this AM, real hourly pay of mid-class workers up 0.4% since Trump took office, and extra dime an hour. At this rate, that tax-cut induced $4,000 in your paycheck will take 28 years.

$4,000 is the figure Trump cited numerous times when pushing for tax cuts.

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17879 on: June 13, 2018, 12:11:23 PM »
So wait, are corporations not separate entities? 

They are.  Though the law recognizes separate-but-related entities for corporate persons just like it does for natural persons.  For corporate persons, common ownership is one typical means of measuring such a relationship.  So the question is how related they are, and what form that relationship takes.

Of course, there have to be limits to how much we brand one related corporate entity with the label of its related companies.  Because there's no way I'm ever stopping at a Cleveland Browns Flying J.  Though I might stop at a Krispy Kreme Panera at some point.