PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 212474 times)

GCrites80s, roman totale XVII, Clefan98, Jimmy Skinner and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #15840 on: April 16, 2018, 04:40:46 PM »
For those counting, Trump just landed at MaraLago, the 144th day at the property for a President who would be "too busy to golf." 

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15841 on: April 16, 2018, 04:47:38 PM »
All from Twitter (@ddale8):

I am really at a loss whether to believe Cohen less or Hannity less.

Bear in mind that Cohen has every incentive to exaggerate his client communciations to try to derail the doc review, so he may be spinning Hannity into a client when he really isn't, or is only minimally for a few communications.

Hannity went from "I never paid legal fees to Michael" to "I might have handed him 10 bucks" in like four minutes. What gifts will the next four minutes bring?

This, just for the Shapiro discussions:
After a false early report that the Quebec City mosque massacre was co-perpetrated by a man with a Muslim name, Ben Shapiro mockingly tweeted, “It’s the damn Mormons again.” In fact, prosecutors allege, the killer was a white Ben Shapiro fan.

Trump laments that "nobody knows" that the trade deficit with Mexico is "$100 billion."
That is because he's making this up and the actual number is $69 billion.

Trump falsely claims that the U.S. has a $504 billion deficit with China. He has invented that number. Even the goods-alone deficit is $375 billion; the net number including services is $337 billion.

Trump falsely claims, for the seventh time, that no president cut taxes in almost 40 years before him. He says the problem was that they kept calling it "tax reform" rather than "tax cuts," his brilliant branding masterstroke.

Trump says he's cut more regulations than any president, "whether it's four years, eight years, or, in one case, 16 years."
No president has served 16 years. Franklin D. Roosevelt served 12 years.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15842 on: April 16, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »
Trump, falsely: "Wages, for the first time in 18 years, are going up." "First time in 18 years where wages are going up. Congratulations. Enjoy your money."

Wages have been rising since 2014.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15843 on: April 16, 2018, 05:03:39 PM »
Hannity is way worse than Cuomo, my analogy was to prove that the credibility of anchors within a network can be scaled

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #15844 on: April 16, 2018, 06:08:09 PM »
I'm waiting for Comey and Stephanopoulos to correct the false claim that the Steele Dossier was funded by Trump's opponents (it was originally funded by a GOP donor for the Free Beacon) but I guess they're just gonna let that falsehood hang there, huh? #ComeyInterview
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15845 on: April 16, 2018, 07:27:51 PM »
buried in all the news of stormy daniels, michael cohen, robert mueller, russia and syria, there's this:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

Trump approval hits 1 year high.

I suppose the message within this is that voters really just care about the economy? 

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15846 on: April 16, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »
Woo hoo! He's at 40 percent! GTFO trying to present that as if it's a positive for him. He's still an a-hole and people who have morals and standards think the only thing he's worthy of is being scraped off the bottom of their shoes.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/04/16/poll-trump-achieves-highest-job-approval-rating-of-the-year/23412198/
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15847 on: April 16, 2018, 07:54:57 PM »
I suppose the message within this is that voters really just care about the economy? 

All this recent talk of trade wars has worked in his favor.  Plenty of voters share his views on the matter, and very few politicians have been siding with those voters.  Meanwhile, all these scandals are a mess to keep track of, and none of it affects any given voter's ability to survive the next month.

Online jonoh81

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #15848 on: April 16, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »
buried in all the news of stormy daniels, michael cohen, robert mueller, russia and syria, there's this:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

lol, only you Trumpers could act like going up half a point in 2 weeks is rocketing upward.  Rasmussen's nonsensical number by itself actually skews the current April average upward by a full 1.3 points, more than twice as much as April's total movement.  And he's no better off on his approve/disapprove spread than at other points in the last year. 

As for his approval rating on the economy, it's only +2.3 points.  He's had much better ratings on that over the past year, so that number has actually declined quite a bit from his high. 

So really any way you look at it, the numbers are not good for Trump.  He's still underwater in polling on overall job approval, foreign policy and the direction of the nation, and the lone positive is down.  I'm not sure what you're getting excited over. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:57:07 PM by jonoh81 »

Online jonoh81

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #15849 on: April 16, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »

All this recent talk of trade wars has worked in his favor.  Plenty of voters share his views on the matter, and very few politicians have been siding with those voters.  Meanwhile, all these scandals are a mess to keep track of, and none of it affects any given voter's ability to survive the next month.

Do you honestly believe that most voters know anything about how trade policy works?  We're still just dealing with the same ignorant populace that we always have- the one that is attracted to strong talk even if it's bull**** and actually hurts the nation economically.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15850 on: April 16, 2018, 09:47:09 PM »
Outside of foreign policy, I’d say voters know least about macroeconomics.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15851 on: April 17, 2018, 07:33:16 AM »
Outside of foreign policy, I’d say voters know least about macroeconomics.

There is one thing I know...trade wars are NOT EASY to win.  Especially against China. 

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15852 on: April 17, 2018, 08:11:39 AM »
"Never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

Offline plinth857

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #15853 on: April 17, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »
"Never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

It was a full decade after my first viewing of that movie that I realized they were referring to Vietnam.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15854 on: April 17, 2018, 08:51:25 AM »

Someone's nervous that the pee pee tape is going to be released.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15855 on: April 17, 2018, 08:54:03 AM »
Following Friday’s joint airstrikes in Syria, U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley announced that the U.S. would impose additional sanctions on Russia as punishment for enabling the Syrian government’s use of chemical weapons against its own people. Announcing the strikes Friday, Trump directed a warning at Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s allies in Iran and Russia.

Today Trump pumped the brakes on that plan. He reportedly met with his national security advisers yesterday and said he was uncomfortable executing the sanctions. So today officials said he likely would not impose additional sanctions on Russia without another triggering event.

On a highly related note, the Washington Post reports that Trump became furious last month when he learned the U.S. had imposed a harsher punishment on Russia for poisoning a former spy on British soil than American allies had.

Lol.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15856 on: April 17, 2018, 09:16:08 AM »

lol, only you Trumpers could act like going up half a point in 2 weeks is rocketing upward.  Rasmussen's nonsensical number by itself actually skews the current April average upward by a full 1.3 points, more than twice as much as April's total movement.  And he's no better off on his approve/disapprove spread than at other points in the last year. 

As for his approval rating on the economy, it's only +2.3 points.  He's had much better ratings on that over the past year, so that number has actually declined quite a bit from his high. 

So really any way you look at it, the numbers are not good for Trump.  He's still underwater in polling on overall job approval, foreign policy and the direction of the nation, and the lone positive is down.  I'm not sure what you're getting excited over. 

I'm not excited about anything.  I do find it fascinating that in a period of such turmoil, he appears to be trending upward.  It's not a comment on anything other than "what the hell are most people thinking"....

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15857 on: April 17, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »

I'm not excited about anything.  I do find it fascinating that in a period of such turmoil, he appears to be trending upward.  It's not a comment on anything other than "what the hell are most people thinking"....

I don't know if he is trending upward.  He seems to fluctuate between 37 and 42% approval rating.  That appears to be his consistent range.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15858 on: April 17, 2018, 09:20:25 AM »
^As a caveat to that, though he's reached 40% nationwide - he also only polled at 46% in Mississippi in the very same polling data. That tells me that the base has consolidated around 35-40, and traditional GOP'ers, even in the South have begun to flee.

For some context, at GWB's lowest approval rating of his 8 years, he still polled at 63% in Mississippi.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:31:27 AM by YABO713 »

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15859 on: April 17, 2018, 09:23:15 AM »
^As a caveat to that, though he's reached 40% nationwide - he also only polled at 46% in Mississippi in the very same polling data. That tells me that the base has consolidated around 35-40, and traditional GOP'ers, even in the South has begun to flee.

For some context, at GWB's lowest approval rating of his 8 years, he still polled at 63% in Mississippi.

To be polling as low as he is with a good economy is stunning.  If the economy takes a turn, it will be a blood bath for him.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15860 on: April 17, 2018, 10:35:54 AM »
^As a caveat to that, though he's reached 40% nationwide - he also only polled at 46% in Mississippi in the very same polling data. That tells me that the base has consolidated around 35-40, and traditional GOP'ers, even in the South has begun to flee.

To be polling as low as he is with a good economy is stunning.  If the economy takes a turn, it will be a blood bath for him.

The economy isn't all that great though.  For many, it's never been worse.  All he had to do was acknowledge that and it got him a baseline of support.  GOP can afford to ease off on the southern strategy if they can capture enough of the middle.  And they may realize the southern strategy's days are numbered.  My biggest worry now is that Trump leaves the GOP more economically populist than he found it.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15861 on: April 17, 2018, 10:43:13 AM »

The economy isn't all that great though.  For many, it's never been worse. 

whoa whoa whoa, say what???

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #15862 on: April 17, 2018, 10:45:30 AM »
^As a caveat to that, though he's reached 40% nationwide - he also only polled at 46% in Mississippi in the very same polling data. That tells me that the base has consolidated around 35-40, and traditional GOP'ers, even in the South have begun to flee.

Anytime we blow stuff up Presidential approval ratings increase... at least initially.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15863 on: April 17, 2018, 10:46:31 AM »

The economy isn't all that great though.  For many, it's never been worse. All he had to do was acknowledge that and it got him a baseline of support.  GOP can afford to ease off on the southern strategy if they can capture enough of the middle.  And they may realize the southern strategy's days are numbered.  My biggest worry now is that Trump leaves the GOP more economically populist than he found it.

I think you just discredited yourself. The economy is fundamentally strong. If you want to attribute that to an Obama-era policy, that's one thing. To deny it all together isn't quite right.

I'd say it's not "1997 good", but it's certainly doing well

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15864 on: April 17, 2018, 11:12:25 AM »
I think you just discredited yourself. The economy is fundamentally strong. If you want to attribute that to an Obama-era policy, that's one thing. To deny it all together isn't quite right.

Forgive me, I work with the poor and business is booming.  The economy is fundamentally in tatters.  Have you driven around this town recently?  Do you attribute all that misery and destruction to thousands of personal failures, all of them outliers?  No, it's definitely not 1997 out there.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15865 on: April 17, 2018, 11:13:45 AM »
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-income-inequality-is-holding-back-economic-growth-in-one-chart-2018-04-05

Only the richest 10% of Americans saw their net worth rise over the past decade

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15866 on: April 17, 2018, 11:20:40 AM »

Forgive me, I work with the poor and business is booming.  The economy is fundamentally in tatters.  Have you driven around this town recently?  Do you attribute all that misery and destruction to thousands of personal failures, all of them outliers?  No, it's definitely not 1997 out there.

Right, this town. Cleveland isn't where the rest of the country is.

Nonetheless, income inequality is still disproportionate, no doubt. But I personally know of 3 people from Lakeview Terrace where 25th dead ends that have went from unemployed to attaining jobs paying over $13.50/hour w/ bennies.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15867 on: April 17, 2018, 11:32:33 AM »
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-income-inequality-is-holding-back-economic-growth-in-one-chart-2018-04-05

I don't buy that at all.  Personal savings/retirement accounts are up significantly since 2008, home values are up, unemployment is down...  my wife & I certainly aren't richest 10% and I can tell you we're doing much better than 10 years ago

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15868 on: April 17, 2018, 11:34:16 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/04/17/trumps-top-economic-adviser-never-believe-the-cbo-never-believe-them/?utm_term=.4db84bd1413f

“Never believe the CBO. Very important: Never believe them,” Larry Kudlow, director of Trump's National Economic Council, said during an interview on “Fox & Friends.” “They're always wrong, especially with regard to tax cuts, which they never score properly.”

This administration is nuts.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15869 on: April 17, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »

I don't buy that at all.  Personal savings/retirement accounts are up significantly since 2008, home values are up, unemployment is down...  my wife & I certainly aren't richest 10% and I can tell you we're doing much better than 10 years ago

What don't you buy?  Those are literally the facts.

One personal anecdote doesn't negate the data for the rest of the country.