Author Topic: Voting  (Read 8976 times)

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Voting
« Reply #240 on: August 16, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »
ACLU of Georgia accuses county of making it harder for black people to vote http://hill.cm/RbYy1hF
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #241 on: August 17, 2018, 12:54:42 PM »
https://www.wjbf.com/news/georgia-news/georgia-county-to-close-7-of-9-voting-precincts-civil-rights-attorney-calls-it-voter-suppression-/1375679662

The GOP doing everything they can to suppress votes.

One Georgia county is considering closing 7 of its 9 voting precincts before November's election.
Very Stable Genius

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #242 on: August 17, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »
When your ideas are unpopular you should adapt your ideas.  GOP instead - voter suppression. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #243 on: August 21, 2018, 09:12:23 AM »
It’s the aggregation of the stories lost in the chaos that is so alarming: 9 states purging voter rolls, GA closing polling places, Democrats in competitive races being selectively hacked.  This is happening folks in real time, perpetrated by the GOP and Russia.  Pay attention!!!
https://twitter.com/Amy_Siskind/status/1031714011564396545?s=19

Should start organizing massive ride shares, bus rentals, all kinds of volunteer transportation groups. Start raising money now to hire!
We need a flotilla like in the Dunkirk evacuation. This is up to US to make sure EVERY person gets to the polls because EVERY VOTE COUNTS!!
https://twitter.com/me9216/status/1031726528105771010?s=19

Florida election officials seek info as support builds for Bill Nelson’s Russian-hack claimNo one has publicly confirmed or denied Nelson’s claims made 10 days ago. If Nelson’s claims have merit, elections officials say the federal government must take immediate action to inform all 67 Florida counties.
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/08/19/florida-election-officials-seek-info-as-support-builds-for-bill-nelsons-russian-hack-claim/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:14:54 AM by KJP »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #244 on: August 21, 2018, 09:49:54 AM »
^ I thought only the GOP yokals believed the conspiracy theories.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #245 on: August 21, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »
^ Could you please specify which part of that is a conspiracy theory?

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #246 on: August 21, 2018, 09:56:20 AM »
The part about the GOP and Russia coordinating specific attacks on voting rolls solely against the Dems.

Is Russia trying to hack, yes. Do they coordinate with the GOP, That is a conspiracy theory. Does Russia want the GOP to win? No, they just want to sow discord.   

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #247 on: August 21, 2018, 10:01:40 AM »
The part about the GOP and Russia coordinating specific attacks on voting rolls solely against the Dems.

Is Russia trying to hack, yes. Do they coordinate with the GOP, That is a conspiracy theory. Does Russia want the GOP to win? No, they just want to sow discord.

The assessment of the intelligence community is that Russians specifically wanted Trump (GOP) to win.  All confirmed cases of hacking for the midterm have been Democratic candidates.  This is a fact.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #248 on: August 21, 2018, 10:05:19 AM »
Everything coming out says that the Russians wanted to sow discord. They put more resources behind pushing Trump because they felt he had zero chance to beat Hillary. They could have cared less whether he won. It was about sowing discord.

Going after Dems again is to foster the discord. They sense the anger against Trump. They are trying to create an enemy and if they pretend this is a coordinated effort, it creates further discord.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #249 on: August 21, 2018, 10:06:33 AM »
^ So you agree that they are going after democrats, meaning that it is not a conspiracy theory.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #250 on: August 21, 2018, 10:15:41 AM »
^ I agree with the facts, the conclusion drawn by KJP is what makes him a conspiracy theorist.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #251 on: August 21, 2018, 10:17:44 AM »
^ which conclusion has he drawn?

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #252 on: August 21, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »
^ where the GOP and Russians are coordinating an attack on Dem polling places to stifle the vote. His conclusion about the GOP being in cahoots with Russia is just false.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #253 on: August 21, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
That's not his conclusion at all.  His conclusion is that both the Russians and the GOP attacking voting rights.  The links provide detail to this.  The GOP has attacked voting rights by closing polling location in a majority black county in GA (democratic voters) the Russians are doing it by hacking democratic candidates and GOP congress and president are actively blocking investigations.  These are all facts.  You don't like the facts but this is all true. 

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #254 on: August 21, 2018, 10:30:56 AM »
^ what he is implying is that they are working in conjunction with each other. That is blatantly false.

Is the GOP taking actions to maybe encourage their voters and possibly suppress the Dem voters. Of course, both parties do this, it happens in every election, it is just part of the political game.

Are the Russians trying to sow discord in the process by hacking into the system. Yes, The Russians are not our friends.

Are both the GOP and Russians teaming up to do this - No, that is the crazy conspiracy theory that KJP is trying to perpetuate.

I am not disagreeing with the facts, it is just the crazy conclusion drawn from it.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »
That is not his implication at all.  His implication is that they are both doing it.  The links then show what each party is doing.  Please also show me when the Dems have tried to purge voters, close voting locations or otherwise make it more difficult to vote.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »
^ my point was that both parties use tricks to win elections. The play book is slightly different on the Dem side regarding voter suppression. Also, considering the Dems don't have the power at the statehouse to do this, it is a moot point.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #257 on: August 21, 2018, 11:03:57 AM »
^ my point was that both parties use tricks to win elections. The play book is slightly different on the Dem side regarding voter suppression. Also, considering the Dems don't have the power at the statehouse to do this, it is a moot point.

Dems control some statehouses and have in the past. but they don't actively try to make it difficult for Republicans to vote.  That's a big difference.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2018, 10:22:03 PM »
Fact: Russia is trying to mess with America's election system in a variety of ways
Fact: Republicans have been the main beneficiaries of that interference
Fact: Republicans have been trying to slow walk, interrupt, and undermine investigations into said interference
Fact: Republicans have indeed voted down money for extra election security to stop future interference
Obvious and proven conclusion: they are both working towards at least one common goal- election of Republicans to elected office
Unproven, but still likely conclusion: they are working together towards that common goal through some back channel

So while it's not proven that they are actually working together, it's far from "blatantly false".  It's possible, at least.  Probable, I'd say.

And maybe you could actually evidence some sort of Democratic voter suppression efforts, Brutus?

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #259 on: August 21, 2018, 10:30:30 PM »
If you think it is probable the GOP is working with the Russians directly I have some swampland to sell you.

If you are looking for me to comment on democratic voter suppression, you completely missed my point earlier. Maybe you should re-read my posts. I never was talking about democratic voter suppression, only that both sides engage in their own tricks to win elections. But go ahead with your strawman.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #260 on: August 21, 2018, 10:48:30 PM »
"Is the GOP taking actions to maybe encourage their voters and possibly suppress the Dem voters. Of course, both parties do this, it happens in every election, it is just part of the political game."

"The play book is slightly different on the Dem side regarding voter suppression. "

I read both of those as stating that Dems also engaged in voter suppression.  Are you saying that isn't what you mean, and that you don't think Dems engage in voter suppression?

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #261 on: August 21, 2018, 11:23:58 PM »
What I was saying is that both sides take actions to win the election and that both sides sometimes engage in unscrupulous activities. If you think it is a GOP thing only and the Dems are pure, you are pretty na´ve.

Dems do their own dirty tricks too. That is what I was saying and how you should have interpreted it.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #262 on: August 22, 2018, 12:33:53 AM »
If you are more clear in what you write, then people will be more likely to interpret what you think you are saying the way you think they should interpret it.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #263 on: August 22, 2018, 10:10:48 AM »
And maybe you could actually evidence some sort of Democratic voter suppression efforts, Brutus?

This was, curiously, never answered.
Very Stable Genius

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #264 on: August 22, 2018, 10:12:34 AM »
^ You obviously did not read the thread and explanation then.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #265 on: August 22, 2018, 10:13:58 AM »
Very Stable Genius

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #266 on: August 22, 2018, 10:32:47 AM »
Do you really want to start this again? As explained to X last night, my writing was unclear. While you may have read voter suppression, what I was implying was that both sides engage in dirty tricks in efforts to game the system to their advantage. If you think that the GOP is the only bad guy and that Dems are pure in this area then you are woefully na´ve.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #267 on: August 22, 2018, 10:38:58 AM »
what I was implying was that both sides engage in dirty tricks in efforts to game the system to their advantage.

Still waiting on that evidence tho.
Very Stable Genius

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #268 on: August 22, 2018, 10:39:36 AM »
^ Dude move on. This conversation is dead. You are just being a troll now.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2018, 11:11:20 AM »
^ Dude move on. This conversation is dead. You are just being a troll now.

You are making up claims without providing sources.  When asked to do so you declare the conversation "dead."  Who's the troll?
Very Stable Genius