PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland Hopkins International Airport  (Read 59071 times)

Online CbusTransit

• Huntington Tower 330'
Re: Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
« Reply #3420 on: October 10, 2017, 06:49:03 AM »
Im sure that Burke would not be 'lightly used green space.' Lakefront parks are massively visited across the region. And are spurring adjacent development in many cases, something that Burke has yet to really do

Offline plinth857

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3421 on: October 10, 2017, 07:47:22 AM »
Tremendous public asset?  Burke?  Talk about utterly stupid ideas!

Do you know how long it would take the city to convince the FAA to shut down Burke?   Long enough that Amazon will have built 40 buildings in Detroit by the time it clears all the committees.   This is an idea that should be shelved in replace with an Amazon campus in the CBD using Burke as an additional tool for Amazon's business, not a landfill to build on.

Didn't Chicago once tear down an airport without going through the proper channels?

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #3422 on: October 10, 2017, 08:19:35 AM »
Quote from: plinth857
Didn't Chicago once tear down an airport without going through the proper channels?

Yes, the mayor did, illegally. But that's like comparing Akron-Canton to JFK. Meigs Field was a tiny airport that served turboprops. BKL is a far more capable airport that REGULARLY handles 757s. Meigs was too inadequate to be a reliever to ORD or MDW, like BKL is for CLE.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:21:03 AM by Pugu »

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3423 on: October 10, 2017, 09:22:09 AM »
Quote from: plinth857

Yes, the mayor did, illegally. But that's like comparing Akron-Canton to JFK. Meigs Field was a tiny airport that served turboprops. BKL is a far more capable airport that REGULARLY handles 757s. Meigs was too inadequate to be a reliever to ORD or MDW, like BKL is for CLE.

So to further derail this thread with discussions as it pertains to Amazon, unless Mayor "Action" Jackson is willing to drop the dirt track and secretly mow down Burke in the middle of the night, this site for Amazon is a non-starter.   To legally close Burke via FAA channels would take DECADES, especially as a Class D airspace.   Amazon moves at the speed of light compared to the Feds.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3424 on: October 10, 2017, 09:24:36 AM »
If Burke is such an asset why have so many Fortune 500's left Downtown Cleveland and access to that "wonderful asset" to move out to Beachwood?  It's a perk, maybe.  But it clearly isn't attracting, or even retaining business.  Time to do what Chicago did.

I think we all know the answer is much more complex than can be detailed in this post.  You'd have to asses those companies' corporate culture, combined with years of racial politics, school segregation, white flight, etc etc.   Thankfully Amazon is a much more progressive culture and they WANT to be in the middle of the city with its transit and amenities, not on some new freeway exit clogged with traffic.

Offline Dougal

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #3425 on: October 29, 2017, 12:59:02 PM »
https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-targets-up-to-10-more-us-destinations-from-dublin-36268794.html

Aer Lingus says they could begin new service to as many as 10 new US cities when their Airbus 321LR's are delivered in 2019.  Based on the range of the plane, these 10 would have to be in the eastern half of the country, something like a line drawn from Minneapolis to Mobile. They already fly to most of the usual suspects, so I'd guess CLE might have a shot at being one of the new 10, especially if one of the Icelanders drops out after 2018.  Any announcement is probably a year away.
There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #3426 on: October 30, 2017, 09:37:55 AM »
Given the corporate and ancestral linkages between Cleveland and Ireland, I would think Cleveland is a natural for this expansion. I hope that Hopkins Airport officials are on the phone with Aer Lingus to press our case with them.
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #3427 on: October 31, 2017, 10:28:05 AM »
Southwest Airlines continues slow growth at Cleveland Hopkins, with Milwaukee flight and more to come

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Southwest Airlines launches its ninth year-round destination from Cleveland Hopkins next week, continuing a pattern of slow growth at the airport in the years following the shuttering of the United Airlines' hub.
Southwest, the second largest carrier at Hopkins after United, begins twice-a-day nonstop service to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on Sunday. It's a route that is already served by United, and marks a continued press by Southwest to cut into United's market share in Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2017/10/whats_next_for_cleveland_hopki.html#incart_river_home

Offline Hootenany

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3428 on: October 31, 2017, 10:42:47 AM »
No wonder the nonstop round trip to Milwaukee that I purchased with United recently was so cheap.

Does the CLE-MKE route really have that strong of numbers?  I've taken this route multiple times on United and I don't think their ERJ-145 has ever been full.

Offline Dougal

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #3429 on: November 13, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »
CLE announced info briefings on the FAA's new draft plan for the CLE-DTW Metroplex Project.  It probably means rerouting landings and takeoffs to some extent to optimize traffic flow for both regions.

http://www.clevelandairport.com/comment-period-opens-november-10-cleveland-detroit-metroplex-project

Offline Foraker

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #3430 on: November 13, 2017, 04:53:11 PM »
CLE announced info briefings on the FAA's new draft plan for the CLE-DTW Metroplex Project.  It probably means rerouting landings and takeoffs to some extent to optimize traffic flow for both regions.

http://www.clevelandairport.com/comment-period-opens-november-10-cleveland-detroit-metroplex-project

Now if we could get a high-speed rail line between the two....

Offline Dougal

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #3431 on: November 14, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »

Now if we could get a high-speed rail line between the two....

Amtrak has proposed rerouting one of the Chicago trains to run via Detroit, but the suggested speed is an embarrassment.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3432 on: November 16, 2017, 08:43:46 AM »
Privatize Cleveland Hopkins airport?
Readers weigh in with ideas on air travel: Calling All Readers
Updated Oct 27; Posted Oct 27
By Susan Glaser, The Plain Dealer sglaser@plaind.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Cleveland Hopkins International Airport has been city owned and operated since its founding in 1925.   

It's been that way forever - but does that mean it has to be that way forever?

Ken Prendergast doesn't think so. The executive director of All Aboard Ohio, a Cleveland-based nonprofit that advocates for improved access to passenger rail  service, was one of dozens of area readers who responded to a recent request for suggestions and questions regarding air travel. 

Prendergast offered a concrete suggestion: Hire a private company to run the airport. He proposes using the money generated from a lease to invest in transportation infrastructure, bolstering the regional economy by linking employers in the outer ring suburbs with employees in the city.

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2017/10/privatize_cleveland_hopkins_ai.html
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #3433 on: November 16, 2017, 12:09:55 PM »
Hopkins is one the few assets that businesses have to use, that the suburbs can't [easily] steal. I say they should go ahead and shamelessly profit from it. Because the city owns the airport, I would think the county and/or suburbs would have zero say in what the funds are spent on.

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3434 on: November 16, 2017, 12:41:50 PM »
LOVE the self-promotion @KJP!!! I dig it.

Also, you have an excellent idea.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3435 on: November 16, 2017, 03:57:22 PM »
November 16, 2017 12:59 pm      UPDATED 4 HOURS AGO
Travel through Cleveland Hopkins International Airport continues to accelerate
By JAY MILLER 

Passenger traffic at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport continues to outpace last year's results, with traffic through October up nearly 8%. Passenger flow through the airport is expected to top 2014, the year before United Airlines stopped using Hopkins as a connecting airport.

In October of this year, Hopkins saw 816,543 passengers coming and going, compared with 741,363 passengers in 2016, airport officials reported in a press release. That lifted the passenger count for the first 10 months of 2017 to 7,677,639, up from 7,120,243 in 2016.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20171116/news/142521/travel-through-cleveland-hopkins-international-airport-continues

Offline Dougal

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #3436 on: November 22, 2017, 01:38:59 PM »
A reliable poster on another board has suggested that United might add back a few of the routes they discontinued. We'll see.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3437 on: December 11, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »
December 11, 2017 9:27 am
United is said to mull investing in regional airline ExpressJet
BLOOMBERG

United Continental Holdings Inc. is exploring a deal to invest in regional airline ExpressJet to boost its pipeline of pilots and expand service in the eastern and midwestern U.S., people familiar with the matter said.

ExpressJet is a major carrier at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. It had about 275,000 enplaned passengers there in 2016, according to a Crain's list published last March 20 of the largest airlines serving Hopkins. That made ExpressJet the airport's sixth-largest carrier in 2016.

Chicago-based United is looking at acquiring an ownership stake in ExpressJet among other options in negotiations that are still developing, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private. There's no guarantee the discussions will lead to a deal with ExpressJet, an unprofitable subsidiary of SkyWest Inc. that already flies for United.

The tie-up would help United beef up the domestic network that feeds travelers to other flights, as the No. 3 U.S. carrier works to close a profit gap with Delta Air Lines Inc. and American Airlines Group Inc. United has been adding dozens of flights between smaller cities and its largest airports, trips that can be more lucrative than the heavily-trafficked routes between big hubs.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20171211/news/145231/united-said-mull-investing-regional-airline-expressjet

Offline Mov2Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3438 on: December 11, 2017, 09:08:59 PM »
^Hmmm, sounds a little bit like history repeating itself for a third time!

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3439 on: December 11, 2017, 10:20:27 PM »
Sounds like de-hubbing CLE was a bad idea? 

Offline plinth857

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3440 on: December 12, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »

At the time the decision was made, it was probably (as usual) a short term benefit decision that could possibly have appeased shareholders to say "hey we are trying to do something to maintain high profits", but I think they underestimated the ability of their other hubs (particularly Chicago) to absorb the traffic.  CLE was never a "big" hub for Continental, but it served a purpose to move around their mid-continent traffic pretty well.  I think UA is playing catch-up with Delta (again as usual) and perhaps should have maintained Cleveland the way that Delta maintains Cincinnati airport; it is a hub, but a very small one and can serve to relieve pressure on their larger hubs.  I would imagine CVG saw some more connecting traffic this past weekend due to the interruptions in ATL; on my way out of DFW this weekend there were definitely more people waiting for a CVG flight than might usually be seen.

I think UA could get their route analysts on the case and restore some limited routes that are crowded out of ORD and have business ties with local origin/destination traffic... relieve some of their on-time/traffic woes in ORD and try and make a little more money at a station they know they are obligated to pay for (Concourse D, anyone) for the next decade.  They probably wouldn't even need to obtain any more gates... what they have would probably be more than adequate and they could occasionally use the common use gates if necessary.

Offline savadams13

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #3441 on: December 12, 2017, 10:22:59 AM »
Delta has finally increased aircraft size in Cincinnati on a number of flights. All the CRJ200 are gone and we are seeing alot more 717 and larger aircraft on flights. I think Delta realized that CVG is a great city to move alot of the midwest traffic through and get over flow east/west coast traffic flights

At the time the decision was made, it was probably (as usual) a short term benefit decision that could possibly have appeased shareholders to say "hey we are trying to do something to maintain high profits", but I think they underestimated the ability of their other hubs (particularly Chicago) to absorb the traffic.  CLE was never a "big" hub for Continental, but it served a purpose to move around their mid-continent traffic pretty well.  I think UA is playing catch-up with Delta (again as usual) and perhaps should have maintained Cleveland the way that Delta maintains Cincinnati airport; it is a hub, but a very small one and can serve to relieve pressure on their larger hubs.  I would imagine CVG saw some more connecting traffic this past weekend due to the interruptions in ATL; on my way out of DFW this weekend there were definitely more people waiting for a CVG flight than might usually be seen.

I think UA could get their route analysts on the case and restore some limited routes that are crowded out of ORD and have business ties with local origin/destination traffic... relieve some of their on-time/traffic woes in ORD and try and make a little more money at a station they know they are obligated to pay for (Concourse D, anyone) for the next decade.  They probably wouldn't even need to obtain any more gates... what they have would probably be more than adequate and they could occasionally use the common use gates if necessary.

Offline punch

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3442 on: December 12, 2017, 10:42:22 AM »
December 11, 2017 9:27 am
United is said to mull investing in regional airline ExpressJet
BLOOMBERG

United Continental Holdings Inc. is exploring a deal to invest in regional airline ExpressJet to boost its pipeline of pilots and expand service in the eastern and midwestern U.S., people familiar with the matter said.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20171211/news/145231/united-said-mull-investing-regional-airline-expressjet

Is United still paying for Concourse D?  Maybe they figure it might be worth it get some revenue from the cost?

Offline plinth857

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3443 on: December 12, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »
Delta has finally increased aircraft size in Cincinnati on a number of flights. All the CRJ200 are gone and we are seeing alot more 717 and larger aircraft on flights. I think Delta realized that CVG is a great city to move alot of the midwest traffic through and get over flow east/west coast traffic flights

Good assessment.  I don't think we'd see too much of a reduction in ERJ flying if UA increases flights at CLE, especially if they acquire ExpressJet.  Although ExpressJet does fly some larger regional jets from other stations... maybe some of that could be moved.  One thing for sure is that CLE still has a lot of United frequent flyers... the upgrade lists on the CLE to ORD flights still look like typical hub to hub lists.  So some loyalty to the brand still exists and perhaps that can be exploited.

Offline plinth857

• Huntington Tower 330'

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3445 on: December 13, 2017, 11:07:43 PM »
Cleveland Hopkins in top 10 airports for export growth:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenroberts/2017/12/13/lax-leads-u-s-among-airports-with-greatest-export-growth-8-others-up-more-than-1-billion/#1643947a126a

Nice to see CLE on a list with all those heavyweights! That's really interesting to see the list items (rearview mirrors? Dental floss??) and I hope the local media runs with this bit of info. I'd like to get more background on how export the business has become so successful at these airports specifically.

Not nice to see two typos in the article lol. Even with all their supposed financial wisdom Forbes can never seem to hire an editor.

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #3446 on: December 13, 2017, 11:17:26 PM »
^Cleveland ranks #2--that's great.  I get the medical and aviation stuff, but do we manufacture cell phones and computer chips in CLE? or do final assembly of them? Those two were particularly interesting.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:37:17 PM by Pugu »

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3447 on: December 14, 2017, 10:20:55 AM »
^Cleveland ranks #2--that's great.  I get the medical and aviation stuff, but do we manufacture cell phones and computer chips in CLE? or do final assembly of them? Those two were particularly interesting.

Good question. Well, one thing to consider is that the list isn't in total exports, but percentage increase of exports.

Offline Hootenany

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3448 on: December 14, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »
^I don't think that's true.  The list appears to be by increase in total export dollar value.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3449 on: December 14, 2017, 10:25:50 AM »
^I don't think that's true.  The list appears to be by increase in total export dollar value.

I think the key word is "increase." But maybe I'm off.