Author Topic: Canton: Pro Football Hall of Fame Village  (Read 9391 times)

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
Re: Canton: Pro Football Hall of Fame Village
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2017, 10:10:17 AM »
Making downtown Canton ‘an extension’ of Hall of Fame Village
By Alison Matas
Posted Mar 21, 2017 at 9:45 AM Updated Mar 21, 2017 at 9:54 AM

CANTON You can't see downtown Canton from the Pro Football Hall of Fame campus.

So city leaders are brainstorming ways to encourage out-of-town visitors to make the three-mile trek from Johnson Controls Hall of Fame Village to the city center.

"We feel it's really important to do what we can to not only connect with the Hall of Fame Village, but in time, hopefully, we can make (downtown) feel like an extension of the Village," said Mike King, who chairs the Downtown Canton Special Improvement District. The district has a special "connectivity" subcommittee dedicated to brainstorming ways to link the locations.

http://www.cantonrep.com/special/20170321/making-downtown-canton-an-extension-of-hall-of-fame-village

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2017, 09:13:01 AM »
Canton council OKs HOF Village development plan
Posted Apr 17, 2017 at 10:24 PM Updated Apr 17, 2017 at 10:46 PM
By Kelly Byer

The proposed Village consists of 107 acres roughly bordered by Fulton Road NW to the north, Helen Place NW to the south, Interstate 77 to the east, and the avenues of Clarendon, Clearview and Blake NW to the west.

The estimated $600 million development includes a renovated stadium, youth sports complex, a hotel, specialized centers and other mixed use development. Most components have an estimated completion date by 2019, with others under construction until 2020.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20170417/canton-council-oks-hof-village-development-plan

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2017, 09:07:50 AM »
As Hall of Fame Village breaks ground Tuesday in Canton, grand vision grows of Disney-esque impact on area
By Jim Mackinnon
Published: April 22, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Come Thursday night, devoted Cleveland Browns fans will anxiously watch what their team does with the coveted No. 1 and No. 12 first-round picks in the NFL Draft.

Come NFL Draft night in 2019, millions of anxious pro football fans around the nation might have their eyes on Canton to see who their teams will pick out of that year’s crop of top college players.

http://www.ohio.com/business/as-hall-of-fame-village-breaks-ground-tuesday-in-canton-grand-vision-grows-of-disney-esque-impact-on-area-1.762221#

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2017, 09:39:29 AM »
New HOF Village hotel to be Curio by Hilton
Posted Apr 25, 2017 at 12:07 PM
By Alison Matas

Developers hosted a ceremonial groundbreaking Tuesday at the site.

CANTON The four-star hotel at Johnson Controls Hall of Fame Village will be part of the Hilton chain.

Developers hosted a ceremonial groundbreaking Tuesday at Blake Avenue NW and 21st Street NW, where the hotel will be built. The football-themed property is scheduled for a summer 2019 opening and is the third component of the nine-part Village to be constructed.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20170425/new-hof-village-hotel-to-be-curio-by-hilton

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2017, 11:08:14 AM »
That looks... amazing! Holy crap. Canton is finally seeing some growth.

Offline MikeInCanton

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2018, 08:52:52 PM »
Too bad they took down the hotel cam. I enjoyed checking in when they were building the stadium.

Any word on why construction stopped and when things will pick up again?

Offline edale

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »
Construction stopped on the hotel? What is the status of this project?

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »
Too bad they took down the hotel cam. I enjoyed checking in when they were building the stadium.

You can be all but positive construction has not stopped. They have serious deadlines to meet for each phase. Currently it's the hotel.

Looks like a new rendering with a huge hulking "snake" along the highway.

Offline jeremyck01

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2018, 11:11:14 PM »
I love this project.  It's great for Canton and the region.

Offline MissinOhio

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2018, 01:13:27 PM »

You can be all but positive construction has not stopped. They have serious deadlines to meet for each phase. Currently it's the hotel.

I drove by on Tuesday (northbound 77).  Is most of the construction happening away from the freeway at this point?  I noticed the new stadium more than anything, but didn't want to keep my eyes off the road for too long.  Is that where the hotel and the HOF Village will be located?

Offline BOJ

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
^ Correct, the only thing happening construction-wise near the interstate is finishing the fill-in of the end zone of the stadium. The other construction currently underway is up on the hill and somewhat diagonal form the current hall (where the hotel is in the illustration). It can be seen from the interstate but is away from it.

Offline MikeInCanton

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2018, 06:04:49 AM »

It most definitely did stop. There were issues with contractors not receiving payment. I believe the issues have since even fixed but there went several months without anything happening.

Offline MikeInCanton

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2018, 06:09:03 AM »
If this project proves to be half the success the Hall are anticipating, in spite of their assurances to the contrary, I honestly do not believe the current McKinley site will survive the Village for very long. I would not at all be surprised if there's a new McKinley high school around 2025.

I have two general complaints about the project:
1. I think the plan is a bit too business park and not enough village. 
2. There doesn't seem to be any effort at all integrating Fulton Dr. It's too isolated or detached from its surroundings - more like an island theme park than a part of Canton.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:30:00 AM by MikeInCanton »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »
HOF Village loan documents get first OK by Canton board
By Alison Matas
GateHouse Media Ohio
Posted Mar 12, 2018 at 10:32 PM

CANTON Johnson Controls Hall of Fame Village developers finally can close on an up-to $100 million loan.

After a month of canceled meetings and back-and-forth between attorneys, the Canton City School District Board of Education on Monday signed off on documents developers need to finalize the loan. The Stark County Port Authority, which also needs to approve the paperwork, is expected to meet and vote Tuesday.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20180312/hof-village-loan-documents-get-first-ok-by-canton-board

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »
nytimes.com
The Pro Football Hall of Fame Expansion Project Hits the Skids
Kevin Draper

The Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, is supposed to become a Disney-esque, multiple-day destination with a four-star hotel, a state-of-the-art stadium, a water park, a youth sports complex, a retail promenade, a convention space, a 143-bed assisted living facility for retired Hall of Famers and a small hospital.

At the moment, however, it is a project with a skyrocketing budget, stalled progress, a developer with a checkered performance history in the region who has been accused of misusing $25 million in funds from a federal program, and contractors who recently went months without being paid. Financing problems have necessitated an emergency bank loan, and elected officials in Stark County have discussed a special ballot measure for a sales tax increase to subsidize the project known as Hall of Fame Village.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/28/sports/pro-football-hall-of-fame-canton-ohio.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2018, 05:06:59 PM »
nytimes.com
Kevin Draper

The Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, is supposed to become a Disney-esque, multiple-day destination with a four-star hotel, a state-of-the-art stadium, a water park, a youth sports complex, a retail promenade, a convention space, a 143-bed assisted living facility for retired Hall of Famers and a small hospital.

At the moment, however, it is a project with a skyrocketing budget, stalled progress, a developer with a checkered performance history in the region who has been accused of misusing $25 million in funds from a federal program, and contractors who recently went months without being paid. Financing problems have necessitated an emergency bank loan, and elected officials in Stark County have discussed a special ballot measure for a sales tax increase to subsidize the project known as Hall of Fame Village.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/28/sports/pro-football-hall-of-fame-canton-ohio.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below
Pretty bad article, in poor taste. The contractor payment has been an issue for months but was resolved. Is there a developer out there that will do a $500 million+ project and have every dollar accounted for?
Especially considering this project was always approached as phased. Meaning, build phase I, dangle the carrot for investors in phase II, rinse, repeat for subsequent phases.

Offline Mendo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2018, 02:47:00 PM »
Here is Crain's coverage of the construction issues. It has some additional quotes from the HoF representatives. Not quite the same doom-and-gloom spin as the NYTimes article.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180403/blogs06/157021/despite-financing-woes-pro-football-hall-fame-believes-huge-vision

Despite financing woes, Pro Football Hall of Fame believes 'huge vision' for Village project will become reality

The New York Times headline last week — "The Pro Football Hall of Fame Expansion Project Hits the Skids" — put a national spotlight on a story the Canton Repository has been doing an excellent job of covering for months.

Johnson Controls Hall of Fame Village, as the massive Times piece points out, started out as a $25 million renovation to what is now Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium. A master plan was approved in late 2014 for a project that was expanded to include a hotel and conference center, an academy, retail, restaurants and a mixed-use residential area for Hall of Famers and NFL legends, and not long after, the estimated price tag was $476 million.

The plans, however, kept growing, as did the costs. Hall of Fame Village was a $600 million project, then $700 million, $800 million and, from the Times article, Hall of Fame president David Baker "has begun calling it a billion-dollar development." (For the record, the Hall of Fame is going with $899 million, Pete Fierle, the Hall's chief of staff and vice president of communications, told us.)
<snip>

Offline MikeInCanton

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2018, 06:55:31 PM »
nytimes.com
Kevin Draper

Pretty bad article, in poor taste. The contractor payment has been an issue for months but was resolved. Is there a developer out there that will do a $500 million+ project and have every dollar accounted for?
Especially considering this project was always approached as phased. Meaning, build phase I, dangle the carrot for investors in phase II, rinse, repeat for subsequent phases.

I think the issue is the HOF should have known better than to hire that firm. All they had to do was ask North Canton how the Hoover project is going to get all they needed.  Sometimes the lowest bidder is so for the wrong reasons, and it's important to not let the dollar signs and possibilities put one in a trance. I'll be surprised if the project doesn't have further issues and is not ultimately scaled back.

Baker has a history of this behavior, practically single-handily driving the Arena Football League into the ground through his ambition. I never trusted him to lead this and still don't. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 06:59:48 PM by MikeInCanton »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2018, 10:03:44 AM »
nytimes.com
Kevin Draper

I think the issue is the HOF should have known better than to hire that firm. All they had to do was ask North Canton how the Hoover project is going to get all they needed.  Sometimes the lowest bidder is so for the wrong reasons, and it's important to not let the dollar signs and possibilities put one in a trance. I'll be surprised if the project doesn't have further issues and is not ultimately scaled back.

Baker has a history of this behavior, practically single-handily driving the Arena Football League into the ground through his ambition. I never trusted him to lead this and still don't. 
Hire what "firm", IRG? There aren't many cities in the country that would turn them away.
And that's why I feel that NYT article was in poor taste. Look at that track record. They have at least a half a dozen large projects completed in Akron alone.

Offline MikeInCanton

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »
I'm not sure if it's IRG alone, but it is the same group and it's having the same problem. They should have found someone else.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »
I'm not sure if it's IRG alone, but it is the same group and it's having the same problem. They should have found someone else.
Again, not sure what you mean by "group". IRG is the developer. They have completed many large project successfully.

Offline MikeInCanton

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2018, 12:45:00 PM »
IRG and Maple Street are at least two in charge of building it. And these two together do not have a good track record, and IRG projects have history of the sort of shady issues the HOF has had to deal with.

They may have finished projects but not without a lot of headaches of their own doing. There are plenty of firms out there who would have taken the job that don't have a history of losing massive amounts of money in mysterious ways.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:47:39 PM by MikeInCanton »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »
^hmm...the actual original hall of fame building almost looks like an afterthought.

Offline tastybunns

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »
Too bad this wont happen. You may only see one thing happen at a time, but its better to go in phases than to go for the gusto. Big mistake on the dev's part.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2018, 04:55:14 PM »
Too bad this wont happen. You may only see one thing happen at a time, but its better to go in phases than to go for the gusto. Big mistake on the dev's part.
It was a phased project from the very beginning.
Even the stadium renovations were two phases.

Offline MikeInCanton

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2018, 05:26:45 PM »
Not sure what is going on but nothing has been built for a full year.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2018, 01:03:11 PM »
Not sure what is going on but nothing has been built for a full year.
Not sure what you mean. The skyboxes were being finished up to the day of the football game last year, which wasn't even a year ago. They also started the foundation work for the hotel since then.

Offline MikeInCanton

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2018, 10:48:12 PM »
I mean exactly what I said.

The HOF game last year was played on August 3rd. That's 11+ months ago. Nothing has been built since then.

IIRC, the foundation was there, and even if it wasn't, it was definitely there in September. So, nothing has been built since 2017 in late July or early August or laid down since late August or early September (10 months without any activity). 

The hotel should be well on its way, the east side of the stadium should be complete, and at least one other building should show signs of construction.  They want to hold the draft there in APRIL for the 100th anniversary but the convention center/arena is nothing more than a drawing - this ain't happening unless they think they can convince the NFL to hold it outdoors at the stadium.  Ohio in April? Risky, and I would say, very unlikely.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:51:52 PM by MikeInCanton »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2018, 12:29:29 PM »
I mean exactly what I said.

The HOF game last year was played on August 3rd. That's 11+ months ago. Nothing has been built since then.

IIRC, the foundation was there, and even if it wasn't, it was definitely there in September. So, nothing has been built since 2017 in late July or early August or laid down since late August or early September (10 months without any activity). 

The hotel should be well on its way, the east side of the stadium should be complete, and at least one other building should show signs of construction.  They want to hold the draft there in APRIL for the 100th anniversary but the convention center/arena is nothing more than a drawing - this ain't happening unless they think they can convince the NFL to hold it outdoors at the stadium.  Ohio in April? Risky, and I would say, very unlikely.
Wasn't the draft held in Chicago for two years and outdoors? The just had a giant tent structure.