PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Notes on the Decline of a Great Nation (Commentary)  (Read 8314 times)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Notes on the Decline of a Great Nation (Commentary)
« Reply #540 on: November 09, 2017, 06:24:10 PM »
@BillKristol
To my fellow conservatives and Republicans: "Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid."
  --A. Lincoln, letter to Joshua Speed, Aug. 24, 1855
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #541 on: November 09, 2017, 10:32:14 PM »
The left immediately abandoned & shunned Weiner, Weinstein & Spacey.  O'Reilly is still welcome on Fox News, Roy Moore will get plenty of votes & Trump is in the White House.  1 in 9 girls experience sexual assault.  Now we can look at political affiliation to know who approves https://t.co/itPTxAqeWG
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #542 on: November 09, 2017, 11:27:19 PM »
The left immediately abandoned & shunned Weiner, Weinstein & Spacey.  \

In Weinstein's case, only when it became known to the general public.   Then there's Ted Kennedy.

Offline AJ93

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #543 on: November 10, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
hey, I suspect that Roy Moore has a loooonng way to go to before he can match the accomplishments of "Progressive" Liberals!

Come on man, you're smarter than that. The only one of those that's not photoshopped is the Clinton one. The other three are medals given to Biden, Tom Hanks, and Bruce Springsteen.

Cosby did get the medal...from Bush W.

https://www.snopes.com/obama-medal-of-freedom-weinstein-clinton-cosby-weiner/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:53:15 AM by AJ93 »

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #544 on: November 10, 2017, 08:04:12 AM »

In Weinstein's case, only when it became known to the general public.   Then there's Ted Kennedy.

And Wiener wasn't really even shunned until the last possible moment - he had a revamped political career after his first transgression, his wife stuck with him and continued to be Clinton's right hand woman. It wasn't until very clear and direct evidence (texts, pictures, etc.) came out of him having inappropriate sexual relations with a little girl that people finally started to distance themselves from him. Moore is nowhere near that territory, at this point the allegation against him is nothing but a he said/she said situation. Further, rarely do people get thrown under the bus as quickly as Moore has been when there is no evidence of wrongdoing. People like McCain came out against him so quickly that their reactions are worthy of suspicion.

Online DarkandStormy

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #545 on: November 10, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »
hey, I suspect that Roy Moore has a loooonng way to go to before he can match the accomplishments of "Progressive" Liberals!

Come on man, you're smarter than that. The only one of those that's not photoshopped is the Clinton one. The other three are medals given to Biden, Tom Hanks, and Bruce Springsteen.

Cosby did get the medal...from Bush W.

https://www.snopes.com/obama-medal-of-freedom-weinstein-clinton-cosby-weiner/

A Trumpie falling for fake news?  I AM SHOCKED.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #546 on: November 10, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »
That's another problem with people using phones as their main source of internet surfing: crappy Photoshop looks fine on a phone.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #547 on: November 10, 2017, 10:34:28 AM »
Neither party is capable of winning this battle.  The commonality is people wielding power and that's what politics is all about.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #548 on: November 11, 2017, 07:36:17 PM »
@RadioFreeTom
The President is tweeting like a mean girl at a rogue nuclear state while we argue over whether a guy in Alabama who dated teens as a grown man should be a US senator.
We had a good run, America.
https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/929515584655708162

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #549 on: November 12, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »

And Wiener wasn't really even shunned until the last possible moment - he had a revamped political career after his first transgression, his wife stuck with him and continued to be Clinton's right hand woman. It wasn't until very clear and direct evidence (texts, pictures, etc.) came out of him having inappropriate sexual relations with a little girl that people finally started to distance themselves from him. Moore is nowhere near that territory, at this point the allegation against him is nothing but a he said/she said situation. Further, rarely do people get thrown under the bus as quickly as Moore has been when there is no evidence of wrongdoing. People like McCain came out against him so quickly that their reactions are worthy of suspicion.

I have a rule that I suspect a lot of people do, but I'm blunt about it:  the candidates personal life is as relevant as he or she wants the government to be involved in ours.  So I've never had much use for Moore and considering the number and consistency of the claims, believe them.

Romney nailed one thing on the head:  due process applies to criminal charges, not electoral suitability.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #550 on: November 13, 2017, 12:26:57 PM »
Welcome to Alabamistan...

Roy Moore Is Exactly What the Republican Party Is All About - Wake up and smell the white supremacist theocracy.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/amp13518962/roy-moore-is-who-republicans-are/

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #551 on: November 13, 2017, 12:50:49 PM »
Romney nailed one thing on the head:  due process applies to criminal charges and civil allegations, not electoral suitability.

(Not to mess things up too much, but FTFY.)

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #552 on: November 13, 2017, 11:05:06 PM »
Romney nailed one thing on the head:  due process applies to criminal charges and civil allegations, not electoral suitability.

(Not to mess things up too much, but FTFY.)

Oops, actually mention to say "reasonable doubt".

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #553 on: November 14, 2017, 02:02:38 PM »
If you have a college or university, are close to major urban center, or have a lot of natural amenities, you are OK.  But too many places have none of the above. They are at risk of economic obsolescence....

https://t.co/0if7NswvGr

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #554 on: November 14, 2017, 02:10:48 PM »
If you have a college or university, are close to major urban center, or have a lot of natural amenities, you are OK.  But too many places have none of the above. They are at risk of economic obsolescence....

https://t.co/0if7NswvGr

Interesting. In addition, areas with a higher percentage of college grads appreciate in real estate value at a much higher rate.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #555 on: November 16, 2017, 04:36:30 PM »
I'm Irish and I spent a year traveling the US — here are the 17 things that surprised me about day to day life
http://www.businessinsider.com/17-cultural-clashes-this-european-had-in-america-2017-6

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #556 on: December 02, 2017, 03:28:59 AM »
Why the UN is investigating extreme poverty … in America, the world's richest nation

At the heart of Philip Alston’s special mission will be one question: can Americans enjoy fundamental human rights if they’re unable to meet basic living standards?

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/01/un-extreme-poverty-america-special-rapporteur

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #557 on: December 02, 2017, 01:05:15 PM »
Making the rounds on social media...

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #558 on: December 03, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »
It sure didn't help that Nader actively sabotaged the party twice in presidential elections. Democrats care only about the machine. Not progress. With the Republicans so openly screwing every one, the Democrats should win. But they won't as long as the establishment keeps the progressive wing at arms length.

Ralph Nader: The Democrats Are Unable to Defend the U.S. from the “Most Vicious” Republican Party in History
https://theintercept.com/2017/06/25/ralph-nader-the-democrats-are-unable-to-defend-the-u-s-from-the-most-vicious-republican-party-in-history/

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #559 on: December 03, 2017, 06:49:49 PM »
Great read in Forbes from a self-described recovering Republican. My favorite part....

"Countries experience moments like this from time to time. We are long overdue for such a crisis, as our last major partisan breakdown occurred in the 1850’s. Faced with tumultuous cultural, technological and economic upheaval, political systems may find themselves bottlenecked, unable to keep pace with evolutionary demands. Parties and ideologies are contorted into strange shapes under the pressure of rapid transformation."

The GOP Has Become A Dangerous Cult
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisladd/2017/12/02/the-gop-has-become-a-dangerous-cult/#2332b469245c

Online TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #560 on: December 03, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »
More like an evolving terrorist organization.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #561 on: December 14, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »
There were 75 years between the end of the Depression and the start of the Great Recession, but we bungled the crisis response so the next big one will be a lot sooner:
https://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21732529-governments-skilfully-tackled-symptoms-not-underlying-disease-decade

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #562 on: December 21, 2017, 01:46:19 AM »
Historians are going to have a field day with this shameful, bizarre era in American history. https://t.co/fQA7yA1DSE

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #563 on: December 24, 2017, 09:57:42 PM »
Louie Gohmert and the GOP only want a "civil war" because they think it's a chance to get their slaves back.  https://t.co/rfyR95kMCB

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #564 on: December 26, 2017, 08:37:55 PM »
This is another one of those things I grew used to seeing in third-world dictatorships, but never thought I’d see here: Congressman @FrancisRooney actually calling for a “purge” of law enforcement agency leadership. This follows weeks of Trump and House GOP attacks on the FBI. https://t.co/TflXqSSVix

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #565 on: December 26, 2017, 11:59:57 PM »
If America can't manage itself, why should I stay? I want my family to live in a safer nation...

Reports of multiple people shot at a Memphis mall.
https://t.co/c08t8Xbq5c

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #566 on: December 27, 2017, 06:37:29 AM »
Ken Martin. Froze to death on a downtown Cincinnati sidewalk today. We must do better. Just a matter of priorities. More tax money for those most vulnerable. Less tax money for millionaires and billionaires. https://t.co/sLvS39cPCR

Online bfwissel

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #567 on: December 27, 2017, 08:28:38 AM »
Ken Martin. Froze to death on a downtown Cincinnati sidewalk today. We must do better. Just a matter of priorities. More tax money for those most vulnerable. Less tax money for millionaires and billionaires. https://t.co/sLvS39cPCR

There were multiple cold shelters open last night.  I'm really not sure this is a situation you can throw money at.  This particular individual wanted to live on the streets and died doing so.  It's tragic, but what would you recommend we could have done for Ken?  Compulsory lockup for some individuals when it's cold?
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #568 on: December 27, 2017, 09:22:27 AM »
Yes, actually you could throw money at it. Have citywide, statewide or even nationwide patrols to look for people in distress during severe weather. This doesn't just have to be limited to cold but heat and severe storms. Might be worth considering as our climate becomes more extreme.

Online bfwissel

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #569 on: December 27, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
I guess you could pay people to patrol the streets, but we already have police officers that do as much.  I guess we could hire more officers and train them to search for these individuals when the weather gets dangerous.  This is really one of those things that I've struggled with in my mind for many, many years now.  How do we take care of people who are unable or unwilling to take care of themselves?  For criminals we lock them up, but for the addicted and mentally ill we just try to make them avail themselves of the resources available which they don't always do.  Maybe I'll start a thread for this, because as I've said it's been consuming my mind for ages now and I've never been able to work out any solutions myself.  Seems like there is no silver bullet here.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett