Author Topic: Name your top 5 cities...  (Read 5392 times)

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Name your top 5 cities...
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »
Small Cities:

-Portland, ME
-Charleston, SC
-Monterey, CA
-Sarasota, FL
-Boulder, CO

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2018, 01:40:01 PM »
I need to travel internationally more...

Small Cities:
1. Asheville NC
2. Savannah
3. Santa Fe
4. Bardstown KY
5. San Clemente CA

I feel like San Clemente is often overlooked.

Online edale

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »
Probably because it's in Orange County, which almost always gets lumped together as one entity in discussions like these. Southern Orange County is very nice and relaxed though, even compared to the other beach cities further north like Newport and Huntington Beach.

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2018, 02:06:47 PM »
My stab at smaller cities but honestly I haven't spent a ton of time in smaller cities except for a few:

Bloomington, IN
Iowa City, IA
Cedar Falls, IA

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »
are Madison, WI and Ann Arbor, MI considered small cities?  I'd put them on my list.

Offline ucgrady

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »
Probably because it's in Orange County, which almost always gets lumped together as one entity in discussions like these. Southern Orange County is very nice and relaxed though, even compared to the other beach cities further north like Newport and Huntington Beach.

Yeah a few miles up the road in Laguna you see Lamorghini's and Maclarens on the street next to you. In San Clemente you see old hippies in VWs and young hippies in Honda Insights. It has a really nice walkable center spine that runs perpendicular to the beach, a great beach with a pier, and it's linked to the rest of Orange County and Los Angeles via a train that's right on the beach.

Despite the stereotype of Southern California, San Clemente would be a relatively easy place to live car free.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2018, 06:03:19 PM »

Yeah a few miles up the road in Laguna you see Lamorghini's and Maclarens on the street next to you. In San Clemente you see old hippies in VWs and young hippies in Honda Insights. It has a really nice walkable center spine that runs perpendicular to the beach, a great beach with a pier, and it's linked to the rest of Orange County and Los Angeles via a train that's right on the beach.

Despite the stereotype of Southern California, San Clemente would be a relatively easy place to live car free.

Love San Clemente!  There is a Mexican restaurant there on the PCH that I guess Nixon used to frequent.  I can't remember the name but have been several times.  Great stuff!

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2018, 07:38:27 PM »

Love San Clemente!  There is a Mexican restaurant there on the PCH that I guess Nixon used to frequent.  I can't remember the name but have been several times.  Great stuff!

It's either El Adobe or Olamendi's.

I haven't been to El Adobe, but Olamendi's is pretty good, and has some really crazy stuff on the walls.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2018, 09:33:51 PM »

It's either El Adobe or Olamendi's.

I haven't been to El Adobe, but Olamendi's is pretty good, and has some really crazy stuff on the walls.

Olamendis is the one I think. The crazy stuff goes up on the ceilings as well.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2018, 10:42:10 AM »
My turn:

> Cleveland (there's no place like home)
> Wexford, Ireland (narrow streets where my family came from 270 years ago)
> Boston (America's most European city, lacks only the tiny medieval core)
> Toronto (the city that Cleveland should have been)
> York, England (the most walkable city I've ever walked)

Going to Italy in June. My list is therefore subject to revision.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Online edale

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2018, 05:22:04 PM »

I don't think I've contributed here, so I'll give a go at my top 5:

- New York
- Paris
- Amsterdam
- London
- Montreal

Honorable mention: Berlin, Geneva, San Francisco

Smaller cities: Santa Barbara, Savannah, Newport (RI), Quebec City

I just got back from my first ever visit to New Orleans, and it is definitely in my top 5. What a wonderful, lively, unique city. If I had to bump one, I'd toss Montreal into the honorable mention category.

Offline eyehrtfood

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2018, 06:52:27 PM »

I don't think I've contributed here, so I'll give a go at my top 5:

- New York
- Paris
- Amsterdam
- London
- Montreal

Honorable mention: Berlin, Geneva, San Francisco

Smaller cities: Santa Barbara, Savannah, Newport (RI), Quebec City

I just got back from my first ever visit to New Orleans, and it is definitely in my top 5. What a wonderful, lively, unique city. If I had to bump one, I'd toss Montreal into the honorable mention category.

Just got back from my first New Orleans trip in many years. Have to say it has about the greatest buildings/architecture I've seen in the US and I'm talking only a bit about the French Quarter or Garden District. What floored me most were the fabulous Art Deco and earlier 1900s buildings in downtown/CBD. Exceptional examples on nearly every block. 

Offline neilworms

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »
International (excluding USA):

1) Toledo Spain (so much history such a great natural setting)
2) Buenos Aires (incredible blend of architectural styles - parisian buildings with italian details, moorish revival houses side by side with english tudors, a bit chaotic and bursting with culture)
3) Kyoto Japan (Japan's most interesting city great blend of pre-modern, pre-war and post-war - has layers of history unlike other Japanese cities)
4) Tokyo Japan (futureworld - better at night than day, awesome train system and Shibuya is the most insane nightlife area I've ever been to)
5) Vancouver (Weird blend of Tokyo and Seattle - natural setting is unbeatable)

*Honorable Mention* Melbourne Australia - the laneways, peak British Empire Victorian grandeur and tons of culture like if Boston and Portland Oregon had a kid

USA:

1) San Francisco (natural setting, Victorian architecture, cultured and vibrant)
2) Boston (most European of American cities also very vibrant)
3) New York City (diversity, architectural grandeur)
4) Chicago (most livable of these cities not as much character as what's above but enough to be happy with it)
5) Philly (so much history)

*Special Mention* Cincinnati - has all the ingredients to be way better than it is, deserves way more love.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:09:14 PM by neilworms »