Author Topic: Gun Rights  (Read 38400 times)

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Gun Rights
« Reply #2130 on: April 14, 2018, 11:07:36 AM »
Neighbor inexplicably thinks young black boy who's KNOCKED ON HER FRONT DOOR is somehow trying to "break-in".

Most common thieves will do this while scoping a place out. They're looking for an easy place to break into and steal a few easy to pawn items, and they want empty homes to avoid confrontation. I knew a guy in college who had this happen - he was busy and it took him a minute or two to get to his door after someone knocked. He got there just in time to see the guy break a window and try to get into the house. Luckily the guy ran off. Something like that seems just as plausible as a guy missing the bus and suddenly, 90% of the way through the school year, forgetting where his school is.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2131 on: April 14, 2018, 11:17:06 AM »
You can't shoot someone for casing your house.  So your point us irrelevant.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #2132 on: April 14, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
You can't shoot someone for casing your house.  So your point us irrelevant.

And sickening.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #2133 on: April 14, 2018, 01:59:02 PM »
Yeah that's pretty messed up to use that to defend this person.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2134 on: April 14, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
^ Nothing in my post is even a remote defense of the shooter, let alone an implication that it's legal - or even okay - to shoot someone for scoping out your house. You may need to read it again.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #2135 on: April 14, 2018, 05:47:23 PM »
Yep. Nothing -- except the first sentence.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Online Sir2geez

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #2136 on: April 14, 2018, 06:05:56 PM »
Neighbor inexplicably thinks young black boy who's KNOCKED ON HER FRONT DOOR is somehow trying to "break-in".

Most common thieves will do this while scoping a place out. They're looking for an easy place to break into and steal a few easy to pawn items, and they want empty homes to avoid confrontation. I knew a guy in college who had this happen - he was busy and it took him a minute or two to get to his door after someone knocked. He got there just in time to see the guy break a window and try to get into the house. Luckily the guy ran off. Something like that seems just as plausible as a guy missing the bus and suddenly, 90% of the way through the school year, forgetting where his school is.

I've said this several times...black men never get the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: The Philly Starbucks incident is another example of this.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 06:26:55 PM by Sir2geez »

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2137 on: April 14, 2018, 07:15:54 PM »
I found this interesting (though I think the change actually predates Parkland, according to the Wayback Machine):

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary Changes Definition Of ‘Assault Rifle’

http://thefederalist.com/2018/03/31/merriam-webster-online-dictionary-changes-definition-assault-rifle-parkland-shooting/

Changing the definition of a word in order to alter public opinion is one of the most Orwellian practices the political left undertakes. Whether the dictionary is party to this in this example, or just reacting to left-wing media's incorrect usage is debatable, but either way this is shameful. The left has called "black" "white" for so long that the dictionary had to update.

It's also interesting that the new appendix to the definition essentially says that the word means "x" but that it also means "something that looks like x." It's like painting a door onto a wall and claiming it's a door because it looks like one.

I always hear ammo sexuals say that just because a gun looks a certain doesn't make any functionally different.   If that's true then banning those guns is no big deal.

Which guns are you referring to?   And can I say "submissive sheep" now to describe gun ban supporters?

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2138 on: April 14, 2018, 07:39:25 PM »
Gun nuts say that there is no functional difference between an AR15 and other rifles and the difference is merely cosmetic.  If that's true, then banning an AR15 doesn't infringe on anything since other functionally identical rifles are available.

Offline MikeInCanton

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #2139 on: April 14, 2018, 11:46:11 PM »
Let's set a precedent for using the full force of the federal government to arbitrarily ban things. Sounds like a great idea.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2140 on: April 14, 2018, 11:55:43 PM »
Lawn darts have been banned for decades and the killed fewer kids than an AR15.  I'd hardly call it arbitrary.

Offline MikeInCanton

« Reply #2141 on: April 15, 2018, 06:02:26 PM »
Lawn darts were a recreational game, not a gun. The comparison was AR-15 v. other rifles. Banning the AR-15 given it is no more dangerous than other rifles would be arbitrary. Nice goalpost move.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:06:38 PM by MikeInCanton »

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #2142 on: April 15, 2018, 06:21:49 PM »
Don't we ban automatic rifles without explicit approval from law enforcement?  Can an individual arm themselves with an RPG legally?  I don't see the constitutional difference between those things and an AR.  It's a question of where we draw those lines, but outside of a fringe of people, nobody is arguing that their shouldn't be a line and all arms should be either banned or allowed.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2143 on: April 15, 2018, 06:29:24 PM »
Lawn darts were a recreational game, not a gun. The comparison was AR-15 v. other rifles. Banning the AR-15 given it is no more dangerous than other rifles would be arbitrary. Nice goalpost move.

If the AR15 doesn't differ from other rifles, then it is no big deal to ban them. 

Offline aderwent

« Reply #2144 on: April 15, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »
Don't we ban automatic rifles without explicit approval from law enforcement?  Can an individual arm themselves with an RPG legally?  I don't see the constitutional difference between those things and an AR.  It's a question of where we draw those lines, but outside of a fringe of people, nobody is arguing that their shouldn't be a line and all arms should be either banned or allowed.

Yes you can legally own an RPG. There are people who legally own Howitzers. As is their right.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2145 on: April 15, 2018, 09:03:57 PM »
Member of well regulated militia kills his own son. Oh well, thoughts and prayers.  We don't want to infringe on the poor dad's right to kill his son. Seriously, this guy fired shots at a vehicle because he thought it was stolen.  I guess that's what responsible gun owners do.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/delaware-county-man-arrested-in-death-of-his-teenage-son/article_b3be173d-11df-5129-840d-8a0ef0b3ee3b.html

Offline aderwent

« Reply #2146 on: April 15, 2018, 09:37:44 PM »
Member of well regulated militia kills his own son. Oh well, thoughts and prayers.  We don't want to infringe on the poor dad's right to kill his son. Seriously, this guy fired shots at a vehicle because he thought it was stolen.  I guess that's what responsible gun owners do.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/delaware-county-man-arrested-in-death-of-his-teenage-son/article_b3be173d-11df-5129-840d-8a0ef0b3ee3b.html

Tens of millions own guns while harming nobody. Why don't you post their individual stories?

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2147 on: April 15, 2018, 09:49:16 PM »

Tens of millions own guns while harming nobody. Why don't you post their individual stories?

thousands of people drive drunk and never hurt anybody.

Offline jonoh81

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #2148 on: April 15, 2018, 09:57:23 PM »

Why should people be recognized for not hurting or killing someone else with a gun?  Kind of a spectacularly low bar you're trying to set.  Hey, I didn't run over anyone while driving!  That means there doesn't need to be any rules!

Offline MikeInCanton

« Reply #2149 on: April 16, 2018, 01:20:55 AM »

If the AR15 doesn't differ from other rifles, then it is no big deal to ban them. 

Your cognitive dissonance is inspiring

Offline MikeInCanton

« Reply #2150 on: April 16, 2018, 01:29:14 AM »

Why should people be recognized for not hurting or killing someone else with a gun?  Kind of a spectacularly low bar you're trying to set.  Hey, I didn't run over anyone while driving!  That means there doesn't need to be any rules!

Attempting to make a point out of the few gun incidents that happen in per month in a country with tens of millions of gun owners, as if it proves some point about needing strict gun regulations, is dishonest. That's the problem. You do not get the use the vast minority of gun incidents to push your agenda and then act like you have some kind of moral high ground. You don't. Especially not when you're promoting infringing on innocent people's rights.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2151 on: April 16, 2018, 07:37:03 AM »
There are more than just a few gun incidents in the US. 

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2152 on: April 16, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »

Your cognitive dissonance is inspiring

Let me be a little more clear.  The AR15 is the weapon of choice for those who mass murder children.  Let's ban the sale of this weapon.  It does not infringe upon anything because there are supposed guns with identical specs available.  What could it hurt to stop selling and buy back these weapons?

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2153 on: April 16, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »

No, but it does generally mean we shouldn't ban cars just because vehicular homicides and fatal accidents do happen.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2154 on: April 16, 2018, 10:21:40 AM »

No, but it does generally mean we shouldn't ban cars just because vehicular homicides and fatal accidents do happen.

No.  We don't ban cars but we heavily regulate them with licenses, insurance, registration and required safety features  That would be a good form of gun control too. 

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #2155 on: April 16, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »
They sure wouldn't be allowed to make a 1977 Ford Bronco today.

Offline jonoh81

« Reply #2156 on: April 16, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »

No one is talking about banning certain types of guns because of accidents, though, so you don't have any real argument. 

Offline jonoh81

« Reply #2157 on: April 16, 2018, 12:01:45 PM »

Attempting to make a point out of the few gun incidents that happen in per month in a country with tens of millions of gun owners, as if it proves some point about needing strict gun regulations, is dishonest. That's the problem. You do not get the use the vast minority of gun incidents to push your agenda and then act like you have some kind of moral high ground. You don't. Especially not when you're promoting infringing on innocent people's rights.

"A few".  Speaking of not being honest.

My moral high ground is pretty safe, as I am not the one coming to the defense of a hunk of metal that takes thousands upon thousands of lives every year in America.  Why are those acceptable losses to you?  It seems to me that "innocent people" don't value guns more than human lives.

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2158 on: April 16, 2018, 12:07:00 PM »
They sure wouldn't be allowed to make a 1977 Ford Bronco today.

And yet the gun-grabbers often say that we can keep our muskets, just not anything made in the last 200 years.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:51:14 PM by Gramarye »

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2159 on: April 16, 2018, 12:08:05 PM »
The difference is that cars have become safer over time. Due to government regulations.