PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Lakewood: Development and News  (Read 14267 times)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Lakewood: Development and News
« Reply #720 on: May 06, 2018, 06:09:58 PM »
Lakewood Board of Education receives update on East Rockport School redevelopment
http://www.cleveland.com/lakewood/index.ssf/2018/05/board_of_education_receives_up.html
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Online cle25

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #721 on: May 08, 2018, 11:00:20 AM »
I haven't seen this posted anywhere. Outdoor beer garden proposed for the corner of Detroit and Edwards in western Lakewood. I like this and I'm especially glad to see development on one of the last truly "vacant" commercial lots in Lakewood (to my knowledge).

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/38100344/plans-in-the-works-for-an-outdoor-beer-garden-in-lakewood

Online cle25

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #722 on: May 08, 2018, 11:08:25 AM »
Also, does anybody know what is going on with the Steve Barry Buick dealership? From what I understand, they stopped selling cars over a year ago but they are still operating the maintenance shop.

If that's the case, and there is no plan to go back into business, why not sell some of this land that is now empty parking lots? I haven't seen it listed, nor are there any signs on their property indicating the space is on the market. I have to think this is prime real estate as far as Lakewood goes.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #723 on: May 08, 2018, 12:38:24 PM »
I haven't seen this posted anywhere. Outdoor beer garden proposed for the corner of Detroit and Edwards in western Lakewood. I like this and I'm especially glad to see development on one of the last truly "vacant" commercial lots in Lakewood (to my knowledge).

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/38100344/plans-in-the-works-for-an-outdoor-beer-garden-in-lakewood

Good news! I wish they would demolish and develop the Take 5 oil change next door, too.

Also, does anybody know what is going on with the Steve Barry Buick dealership? From what I understand, they stopped selling cars over a year ago but they are still operating the maintenance shop.

If that's the case, and there is no plan to go back into business, why not sell some of this land that is now empty parking lots? I haven't seen it listed, nor are there any signs on their property indicating the space is on the market. I have to think this is prime real estate as far as Lakewood goes.

I'm told by a realtor friend that Barry Buick is for sale, but the asking price is apparently a bit high right now for developers' tastes. However, I do not find 16000 Detroit Ave, Lakewood listed for sale or lease.
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #724 on: May 08, 2018, 01:06:32 PM »
I was hoping that the YMCA would use all that space for a properly sized indoor pool, but heck, beer garden idea is a great one.

Agree that Take 5 is just a really bad use of urban space.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #725 on: May 08, 2018, 01:09:34 PM »
^ Ive always felt that the Take 5 space and parking behind it along with this vacant lot at Edwards could be redeveloped into a decent sized mixed use space.

Online bjk

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #726 on: May 08, 2018, 01:12:27 PM »
They've also closed the maintenance shop. They were selling off office fixtures last week.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #727 on: May 08, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »
They've also closed the maintenance shop. They were selling off office fixtures last week.

Everything is closing down.  They own 3 nice size parcels on both sides of Detroit. 

- Main dealership on north nide
 - used car lot on south side
 - body shop and Bobby O's on south side
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:17:16 PM by freefourur »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #728 on: May 08, 2018, 01:20:18 PM »

Interesting.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #729 on: May 08, 2018, 01:30:33 PM »
For tax purposes, Steve Barry Buick's four parcels totaling 0.76 acres and a small building dating from 1927 on the south side of Detroit Avenue (15801 Detroit) is valued at $261,500.

The 1.2-acre parcel and dealership sales/service building dating from 1948 on the north side of Detroit Avenue (16000 Detroit) is valued at $678,800.

I'm told the owner, Fairlane Realty, is asking a MUCH higher price than that.

Online cle25

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #730 on: May 09, 2018, 01:43:48 PM »
^^^ Thanks for the information KJP and others. I didn't realize the owners even had the land on the market, official or not.

I, too, saw the office sale last week. I am hopeful this site can be developed at some point. This has now become my own personal "Jacobs' Lot" on Public Square as I live down the street.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #731 on: May 11, 2018, 12:15:51 PM »
Development At Former Lakewood Hospital Site Takes Step Forward
City Council took a controversial vote on a term sheet agreement with Carnegie Management and Development Corporation​.
https://patch.com/ohio/lakewood-oh/development-former-lakewood-hospital-site-takes-step-forward

Offline skorasaurus

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #732 on: May 11, 2018, 03:02:52 PM »
Development At Former Lakewood Hospital Site Takes Step Forward
City Council took a controversial vote on a term sheet agreement with Carnegie Management and Development Corporation​.
https://patch.com/ohio/lakewood-oh/development-former-lakewood-hospital-site-takes-step-forward

Really, $1?!? The value of the land is $6 million and then they are paying $7million for remediation; more attention (esp. from the media) should be happening.

(see http://lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24768

Offline RE Developer In Training

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #733 on: May 11, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »
The city of Lakewood is a partner in the project, no?  Therefore, they're not selling the land, they're merely contributing property to the partnership.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #734 on: May 11, 2018, 08:22:15 PM »
I doubt a developer could afford a transformative development without these incentives.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #735 on: May 15, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »
It's amazing how fast this Lakewood development, on the 3-acre site of the former McKinley Elementary School, has progressed. Liberty Development acquired the property in 2015 and quickly began developing 40 townhouses that are selling for upwards of $300,000. The entire development is nearly finished. And it won't be the last development by Liberty in Lakewood. Rumor is they're looking at buying the former Educator's Music property and the former Spitzer dealership next door on Detroit Avenue, just east of Bunts Road.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #736 on: May 15, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »
Darn, I actually quite like the Educator's Music building. I didn't realize they had closed. I just bought guitar strings from there not too long ago.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #737 on: May 15, 2018, 03:13:14 PM »
^^ I believe those townhomes are starting in the $300k range but are selling up to $400k with no tax abatement.  What a great project.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #738 on: May 15, 2018, 03:15:34 PM »
Darn, I actually quite like the Educator's Music building. I didn't realize they had closed. I just bought guitar strings from there not too long ago.

Hasn't closed yet. The owner is retiring. Then there's the big property next door.... ;)

^^ I believe those townhomes are starting in the $300k range but are selling up to $400k with no tax abatement.  What a great project.

Cheapest one sold for about $314,000. Most expensive one sold for just under $483,000. Liberty did a great job with this, including incorporating some nice placemaking/greenspace in the center.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #739 on: May 15, 2018, 03:17:07 PM »
^ When the project began I thought they were overshooting the market but since then prices of existing have been going up.  I think it's great that they are getting close to 500K. This bodes well for new construction in Lakewood. 

Great pics by the way.  I walk by there all the time but haven't really gone into the development. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:23:04 PM by freefourur »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #740 on: May 15, 2018, 04:58:18 PM »
Those high prices are going to be necessary if someone wants to buy and redevelop Steve Barry Buick. I'm told they want $3 million for the combined 2-acre property. Liberty Development bought the 3-acre McKinley School property, with the school already demolished, for $500,000.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #741 on: May 15, 2018, 05:00:53 PM »
High prices and high density will be necessary.   Bring it on.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #742 on: May 15, 2018, 05:06:56 PM »
High prices and high density will be necessary.   Bring it on.

Based on McKinley Place and Rockport Square (about 13 townhouses per acre), they might be able to get 30 townhouses on a 2-acre site. I think its going to require more -- perhaps two multi-family buildings -- to make this and possibly the Educator's Music/Spitzer sites work.

Although... Knez is putting 9 townhouses (The Mews at Rockport) on Fry Avenue at Detroit where only three houses had stood on 0.276 acres. That's an average of 32.6 townhouses per acre or more than double the density of the neighboring Rockport Square development.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:11:43 PM by KJP »

Online pgn711

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #743 on: May 16, 2018, 09:01:26 AM »
We got a letter in the mail a couple months ago to discuss the possibility of tearing down the 1 story vacant brick building on the corner of Westlake and Detroit to build a Wendy's. I believe the vacant building is owned by a church and used to house Streat Burger.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #744 on: May 16, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
We got a letter in the mail a couple months ago to discuss the possibility of tearing down the 1 story vacant brick building on the corner of Westlake and Detroit to build a Wendy's. I believe the vacant building is owned by a church and used to house Streat Burger.

That deal fell through due to the parcel not being able to properly stack the correct number of cars on the property.  That entire block (including the church) is vacant and under contract with developer searching for a use.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #745 on: May 16, 2018, 11:53:56 AM »

That deal fell through due to the parcel not being able to properly stack the correct number of cars on the property.  That entire block (including the church) is vacant and under contract with developer searching for a use.

That whole area is a strange mishmash of suburban vs. urban land use. A microcosm of Lakewood.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #746 on: May 16, 2018, 01:25:02 PM »
Steve Barry Buick RIP. This site on Detroit Ave in Lakewood has been a car dealership since the 1920s.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #747 on: May 16, 2018, 01:26:16 PM »
^ This is a huge opportunity for redevelopment. 

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #748 on: May 16, 2018, 05:52:57 PM »

Hopefully the Wendy's idea is dead, that would be a loss if that nice brick building were demolished for a fast food joint.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #749 on: May 17, 2018, 09:51:24 AM »
Lakewood to purchase Hilliard Square Theater land for $10

https://www.cleveland.com/lakewood/index.ssf/2018/05/lakewood_to_purchase_hilliard.html

Another huge opportunity.  I wish the city could gain control of all the land going east up to the intersection.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:59:13 AM by freefourur »