PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Mayor John Cranley  (Read 17009 times)

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cincinnati: Mayor John Cranley
« Reply #1380 on: March 13, 2018, 05:59:16 PM »
Harry Black released a statement saying that he has not agreed to an exit deal. The Business Courier has backtracked on their original story to reflect that fact.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1381 on: March 13, 2018, 06:00:52 PM »
Chris Wetterich on Twitter:

Here’s where we stand as of 6:02 p.m.

Mayor John Cranley’s office says he has an agreement in principle with City Manager Harry Black for him to resign.

Harry Black says he has not resigned, is having good conversations with Cranley and Council and still wants to be manager...

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1382 on: March 13, 2018, 07:29:46 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the $400k figure might be trotted out because he'd be taxed at roughly 40%, meaning the cash he'd walk away with would be his approximate annual salary. 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1383 on: March 14, 2018, 03:06:34 PM »
Harry Black now telling the media he is "not interested in settlement talks" and has every intention to stay in Cincinnati and continue being the City Manager.

It's going to be a fascinating next four years if we're stuck with a City Manager and a Mayor that hate eachother.

Offline brian korte

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1384 on: March 14, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »
During John’s press conference he has said he is trying to fire Black "Based on a pattern of behavior over several years that has been abusive and in some cases retaliatory and threatening and in some cases unprofessional and in some cases completely inappropriate. I advised him to cease and desist certain behaviors … those behaviors are resurfacing and getting more egregious. I feel in good conscience I need to share this with council to decide how to move forward with the city. I am very worried a number of employees between now and then will suffer from retaliation. We’re going to have to create a safe space for employees to testify. There are citizens who have been subject to similar treatment who also will come forward. Obviously, this is tragic and sad."

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #1385 on: March 14, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »
That's what Cranley does to people.

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1386 on: March 14, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »
It was interesting because Cranley stated when asked about racism in the police department something along the lines of "Well, there basically is and we've been working on that as well as in general in the city, but this has nothing to do with Lt. Col. Bailey"

And that Harry Black shouldn't have come out and said there were rogue elements and that the public should have been aware of the audit.

I don't know, it just seems like it's a cover up by Cranley, where with Black, he probably is aggressive and hurts people's feelings but can Black and his side pull together information and evidence to negate what Cranley is going to dump on him?

Of course, all this could be true and Cranley is 100% correct.  Seems like some healing and cleaning needs to be done in the police department and City Hall in general, really a sit back and sip your tea Kermit moment.  Of course, since the Enquirer is on Cranley's payroll, they have already come out with articles that were very light on evidence and heavy on opinion.  They blamed Black for a ton of people resigning and leaving when I remember a lot of those names at the time, Cranley was the one that pushed them to resign.  But 99% of the consumers wouldn't try to think of that.  The way the Enquirer reports it, it makes it seem like it was all Harry Black and the NAACP, etc. is only backing Black because of race.  To me, that is exactly how the Enquirer is putting it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:58:50 PM by IAGuy39 »

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1387 on: March 14, 2018, 07:05:16 PM »
Cranley and Black go to war
By Chris Wetterich  – Staff reporter and columnist, Cincinnati Business Courier

Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley said Wednesday that he will present the City Council with written documentation on City Manager Harry Black’s conduct in an attempt to convince members to terminate him, but Black vowed to fight for his job, sending Cincinnati city government into chaos unseen since the 2001 riots.

It’s a high-stakes conflict that will carry dire consequences – professional ones for Black and political ones for Cranley. It also comes as the city faces critical, unresolved issues including a budget deficit, a fight over bidding rules on certain projects and fixing the operations of the Cincinnati Bell Connector streetcar.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/03/14/cranley-and-black-go-to-war.html

the bold might be a little sensationalist...

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1388 on: March 14, 2018, 07:08:46 PM »
This is the first time we've ever had a Mayor try to fire the sitting City Manager during their term (out of the three strong mayors that Cincinnati has had since it adopted this form of government). We don't really know how bad things might get if we have a Mayor and City Manager that hate eachothers' guts. Things could get really, really dysfunctional if City Council doesn't agree to fire Black and if one of the two doesn't resign.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1389 on: March 14, 2018, 08:50:10 PM »
^ I perused the city charter looking for ways a mayor could capitalize on this situation, but I don't see many good options. The mayor's ability to "pocket veto" legislation seems like it might be the primary potential point of dysfunction.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1390 on: March 14, 2018, 09:45:28 PM »
This is the first time we've ever had a Mayor try to fire the sitting City Manager during their term (out of the three strong mayors that Cincinnati has had since it adopted this form of government). We don't really know how bad things might get if we have a Mayor and City Manager that hate eachothers' guts. Things could get really, really dysfunctional if City Council doesn't agree to fire Black and if one of the two doesn't resign.

I think this could backfire on Cranley big-time...if he gets people to come out of the woodwork and testify against Black, then Black and the rest of Cranley's enemies will have no problem finding people who will do the same to Cranley.  But I think it's deeper than that -- I'd bet that Black has SERIOUS dirt on Cranley and that's why Cranley wants him gone.  The police thing is just the excuse. 

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #1391 on: March 15, 2018, 10:09:01 AM »
Did anyone read the memo from Police Chief Isaac to Harry Black.  It certainly was pretty damning.  I don't understand how Cranley could disagree with Harry Black firing Bailey if he actually backed Police Chief Isaac.

Seems like some rogue elements is indeed part of this, and Bailey wouldn't do any of those things if he wasn't trying to undermind Isaac IMO.  That's what we have a professional city who makes a huge salary for, to know and understand when to fire and hire, and it seemed like it was appropiate in that case.

So now what does Cranley have to do with this?

I actually think it's refreshing that we have someone sticking to their principals in Harry Black.  It caught my attention when he said in substance "The outside support I have received proves to me that I am meant to be here in Cincinnati."  They are still cleaning up the "good ole boys" police department and it needs to happen.

The other stuff, who knows, and Harry Black didn't deny doing anything, just saying that people would use innuendo and greatly embellish facts to defame his character.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1392 on: March 15, 2018, 02:54:12 PM »
The smear campaign is underway. Hopefully there's more interesting stuff than this still coming:

Harry Black visited a strip club in Denver with top police officials. John Cranley says that 'sends a bad message.'

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2018/03/15/harry-black-strip-club-denver/428150002/

Cincinnati City Manager Harry Black, the chief of police and two assistant police chiefs went to a strip club two years ago during a work trip.

And Black asked the city's female city solicitor, Paula Boggs Muething, to go with them. She declined...

"My concern, which I shared with him at the time, is he's the boss. He should not be subjecting subordinates to those kinds of behaviors," Cranley said. "He can do this on his own private time, but it sends a bad message."

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1393 on: March 15, 2018, 02:56:57 PM »
What happens in Denver stays in Denver.  But I'd guess it was Kincaid who tattled.

Offline Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1394 on: March 15, 2018, 03:33:05 PM »
The Enquirer is just going to print whatever Cranley asks them to, isn't it? Seems like the story here is that there is a blatant smear campaign.

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #1395 on: March 15, 2018, 03:56:30 PM »
The thing that was interesting was that they tried to keep Dave Bailey's name out of it when talking about who went into the strip club, but then later on there was something in there saying Bailey went in there, but they weren't at any fault because they were asked by their superior.

Seriously, I've been in that position before, it's no pressure to be like, "Nah I'm good I'm going to just go to the bar for another drink".

The other interesting thing was that if not mentioned here already, Cranley literally told Black he was going to make it a smear campaign on him if he didn't resign.  Also, it was Harry Black which went to the Enquirer on this, knowing Cranley was going to put this out there.  They probably still asked Cranley to proof read it and add in your own quotes for us, but to me it seems this would be the worst of any smear.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1396 on: March 15, 2018, 04:27:19 PM »
So "they" took a cab back to the airport and Black made them uncomfortable with his conversation...give me a break!
https://www.wcpo.com/news/government/heres-why-were-reporting-that-our-city-manager-went-to-a-topless-bar-on-a-city-trip

The real question is why they used city money to take a cab when Denver has a commuter train that takes you there for cheaper...oh yeah this trip was so long ago that their commuter train wasn't running yet.  So then why not take the bus?  I'd bet they had a bus before they had the train.   

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1397 on: March 15, 2018, 04:30:58 PM »
Newsflash for anyone believes that the government should "run like a business" ... businesses spend money on their employees going to strip clubs all the time.

Offline brian korte

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1398 on: March 15, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »
Hard to get outraged over coworkers going out for drinks after a long day of work and happening to end up at a strip club. Were they supposed to not invite everyone along? No taxpayer money spent at the strip club, no problem.

Offline JYP

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #1399 on: March 15, 2018, 04:44:50 PM »
The real question is why they used city money to take a cab when Denver has a commuter train that takes you there for cheaper...oh yeah this trip was so long ago that their commuter train wasn't running yet.  So then why not take the bus?  I'd bet they had a bus before they had the train.   

There's the REAL scandal!!
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1400 on: March 15, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »
I just can't understand how somebody in that kind of position would put their livelihood at risk by going to a strip club with coworkers on a work trip. It's not that I necessarily have a problem with it, but it's that other people will. Why risk it?

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1401 on: March 15, 2018, 04:53:37 PM »
I just can't understand how somebody in that kind of position would put their livelihood at risk by going to a strip club with coworkers on a work trip. It's not that I necessarily have a problem with it, but it's that other people will. Why risk it?

Successful people usually get away with all sorts of crap that would bring down more upstanding people. 

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1402 on: March 15, 2018, 11:38:17 PM »
I watched the news tonight with my grandmother, who is 91 or 92.  I think it was Channel 19.  They showed stock footage of the inside of some strip club somewhere with a fuzzed-out dancer.  It was hilarious.  My grandmother saw right through the Cranley smear job. 

Online subocincy

• Rhodes Tower 629'

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #1404 on: March 16, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »
^One can only think this may be ruining Cranley's chances for higher office, especially if Council sticks to keeping Harry and he roots out whatever rogue elements are going on in the police department and else where, which if true, Cranley is obviously linked to.

Did anyone ever listen to the tape of Black's call with Dan Hils that Hils taped?  It was really interesting that Black was saying: "Dan, you know what you are doing and I know what you are doing, don't bull**** me.  You want to keep the status quo" ... Hils: "Oh yeah, what is the status quo?" ... Black: "The old boys network, you know exactly what I am talking about." ... Hils: "No I don't, tell me what you are talking about." ... Black: "I am talking about police corruption, Dan."

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1405 on: March 16, 2018, 09:38:26 AM »
Ughhh.  From today's Enquirer:

• Charter reform is a hot topic around town, and many are wondering whether the corporate community will step in and push for a ballot initiative in support of a full-on strong mayor system. Top biz leaders are staying quiet right now, but don't be surprised if the Cincinnati Business Committee, Cincinnati Regional Business Committee and Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber at least give this serious consideration after this week's chaos at City Hall. The business community has gone down this road before, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a strong mayor ballot initiative in 1995. How'd that work out? Here's what then-Enquirer political expert Howard Wilkinson wrote at the time: "The CBC ran Issue 1 up the flag pole to see who would salute. If you consider the ol' Bronx cheer a salute, they did well. It went down 2-to-1, which is astronomical in politics. Candidates and issues get more votes than that by accident." The CBC has totally different leadership these days, and has a strong track record on campaigns and community projects under CEO Gary Lindgren.

Offline Rabbit Hash

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1406 on: March 16, 2018, 10:04:31 AM »
Newsflash for anyone believes that the government should "run like a business" ... businesses spend money on their employees going to strip clubs all the time.

Not that we’re in disagreement that this is a total nothingburger. But...Which companies are these?

Start wrapping your head around the power struggle that is apparently going on and who would be in the Mayor’s corner. Looking at that phone call transcript above tells me that Black has some real moxy.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:11:41 AM by Rabbit Hash »

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1407 on: March 16, 2018, 10:13:48 AM »
WHo cares if the guy goes to a strip club. As long as he is using his own dollar bills instead of the city's to stuff in the stripper's G-string, I don't see a problem with this. If anything, it should be appreciated that the guy has a personality and is not some self righteous prick.

Offline Wally

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1408 on: March 16, 2018, 10:24:37 AM »
For the council members who are on record as being against firing Black (PG, Young, Dennard, and Seelbach), do they truly support Harry Black, or is this just one of the instances where they oppose whatever Cranley wants?  Over the past 4+ years, have those four shown support toward Black?

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #1409 on: March 16, 2018, 10:27:33 AM »

Not that we’re in disagreement that this is a total nothingburger. But...Which companies are these?

Start wrapping your head around the power struggle that is apparently going on and who would be in the Mayor’s corner. Looking at that phone call transcript above tells me that Black has some real moxy.

Yeah, who does have the power, that's the interesting question.  It honestly seems like Black does, and Cranley is outnumbered.  I thought it was interesting that Harry Black said in essence: "There will be a smear campaign and I am willing to struggle through it, because through the support of my peers, I feel I am meant to be in Cincinnati."

Now, I think it all boils down to, is Council willing to stick to it's guns in the fire?  You would think yes.

The following is all my opinion, call it conspiracy, who knows:

In the police department, Hils and the FOP has Cranley's back, but their top dude Bailey got canned in Cranley, the FOP's, and Deters attempt to keep the status quo as they saw it was being rooted out behind Black's no none-sense approach.  They attempted to undermine him from within, and also create false law suites against him and his "retalitory" behavior to make a case to fire him, though I would guess on all those that there is no legal way any of those lawsuites would ever prevail.  Black had Isaac's back and rooted out their henchman in Bailey in a completely legal and ethical way, and now they are going full steam smear campaign to try to oust them as they know Black must have some serious dirt on them or at least, some serious dirt that is being protected that needs to be cleaned, and they don't want to lose their power.

Crazy stuff, I honestly hope Black stays and this gets cleaned up and the old boys network can get exposed.  That may end up being one of the best things to happen to this city, getting Harry Black as City Manager, who would have ever thought.  Cranley should have thought twice about hiring a guy with a reputation to clean up messes from the east coast.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:31:32 AM by IAGuy39 »