PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Walnut Hills / East Walnut Hills: Development and News  (Read 5396 times)

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
Re: Cincinnati: Walnut Hills / East Walnut Hills: Development and News
« Reply #600 on: September 23, 2017, 07:02:09 AM »
For those following the news today, you may wonder why residents of the Alms are clamoring for HUD to continue the subsidies and not shut down the Alms.  If you already know the answer, you can stop reading.

For the rest, the Alms is a "project based" HUD facility meaning that the subsidy applies to the units not to the person occupying them. In order for a person to get subsidized housing in ordinary Section 8 (not project based) one has to have a voucher. A voucher for Section 8 is like gold. You can't get one unless of special circumstances like disability, old age, emergency, etc. You can't even get on the waiting list for a voucher most of the time.

Enter the project based HUD subsidy. The manager of a project based facility can put anyone he wants in the building and get the subsidy as long as they meet the income and needs standards. In a project based facility one can get his cousin from Podunk Tennessee, give her a bus ticket and when she gets to the Alms, put her in there and HUD pays her rent. She can be employable, healthy, any age, etc. One can only imagine the corruption. Are those Alms residents really there? There are no bed checks.

Hence, the residents of the Alms do not have CMHA vouchers for the most part and if they get kicked out of there they can ask to go on CMHA's voucher waiting list, or (God forbid) they will have to get jobs and pay their own rent.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:10:08 AM by 1400 Sycamore »

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #601 on: September 23, 2017, 01:05:40 PM »
^Yet another condescending post.  Awfully concerned about HUD's budget but not the military's. 

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #602 on: September 25, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/09/22/covington-barbershop-expanding-to-walnut-hills.html

Interesting to see new development coming to this block. I would have guessed a new barbershop like this would be located closer to Peebles Corner, but it's good to see McMillan "filling in the gaps".

Offline 1400 Sycamore

« Reply #603 on: September 25, 2017, 04:12:49 PM »
Photos of the Alms on the news looked pretty good. A lot better than with the previous owner/manager. And, the residents got a commitment for vouchers. I'd say that Legal Aid is doing a pretty good job in support of affordable housing.

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 04:55:35 PM by jwulsin »

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #605 on: November 01, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
^For a long time I always thought it would be a great music club or dance club.  Then when the microbrewery thing took off I thought that I'd buy the building for my brother when I hit the lottery since he wanted to do one years before it became a trend.  It's definitely a better location than the Woodburn Brewery. 

But you have to wonder at what point we hit peak beer.  And at what point some big residential project actually happens in Walnut Hills, aside from the Towne project north of Purcell. 

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #606 on: November 01, 2017, 05:34:29 PM »
^Do the 90 residential units + 4000sf retail adjacent to Fireside Pizza not count?

EDIT: Also the 40+ units in the old public school building called Windsor Flats, and the proposed 48 units of new construction next door.

EDIT2: Or does the redevelopment of the Anthem site at Woodburn and Taft not count?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:40:09 PM by ryanlammi »

Offline edale

« Reply #607 on: November 01, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »
Other than Windsor, have any of those projects actually begun? The Firehouse Row proposal has been around forever. I think it might actually have a chance of starting soonish, but who can say. The redevelopment of Anthem definitely has not started yet, and it's in EWH, not WH.

I will say it seems that the tide is actually starting to change in WH, after years of talk and hype with very little action.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #608 on: November 01, 2017, 11:50:22 PM »
There is a smattering of work right now on small buildings between I-71 and Gilbert and the Windsor Flats new building is under construction. 

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #609 on: November 02, 2017, 08:05:09 AM »

EDIT2: Or does the redevelopment of the Anthem site at Woodburn and Taft not count?

^I think the Anthem site I read will start demolition soon with final design plan starting in January.  Initially first phase will be 300 apartment units, 10,000 feet of commercial space, the new "pedestrian" street, and 4 or 5 level parking ramp with 310 spaces.  $55 million project.

As Jake mentioned, it looks like they are already building the new construction apartment for Windsor Flats.

Also, my work is right next to here, but they've been slowly working on the old Eastern Hills YMCA on East McMillan.  Technically EWH but close to WH line.  I think that's somewhere around 30-40 market rate units.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:54:43 AM by IAGuy39 »

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #610 on: November 02, 2017, 08:56:09 AM »
This article says that a liquor license is being awarded to a location "near the intersection of Gilbert Avenue and East McMillan Street". Anybody know which building/owner received the license?

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/01/cincinnati-getting-two-new-liquor-agencies-and.html

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #611 on: November 03, 2017, 08:55:19 AM »

^I think the Anthem site I read will start demolition soon with final design plan starting in January.  Initially first phase will be 300 apartment units, 10,000 feet of commercial space, the new "pedestrian" street, and 4 or 5 level parking ramp with 310 spaces.  $55 million project.

As Jake mentioned, it looks like they are already building the new construction apartment for Windsor Flats.

Also, my work is right next to here, but they've been slowly working on the old Eastern Hills YMCA on East McMillan.  Technically EWH but close to WH line.  I think that's somewhere around 30-40 market rate units.

^Anthem Site has fencing around it, heavy equipment and dumpsters, they have started demolition but guessing it is initial demolition

Online ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #612 on: November 08, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »
Entrance to Cincinnati's 'second downtown' begins renovation

One of Cincinnati's most iconic buildings, in a corner that once served as the largest shopping and entertainment district outside of downtown, is undergoing renovation after being shuttered for more than a decade.

The structure known as the Paramount Building was constructed in 1931 at the intersection of Gilbert Avenue and East McMillan Street in what was known as Peebles' Corner, named for grocer Joseph Peebles who convinced streetcar operators to call out the store's name at that stop. It had an attached theater where the CVS currently stands.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/08/entrance-to-cincinnatis-second-downtown-begins.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #613 on: November 08, 2017, 04:55:36 PM »
Somebody just listed two lots in this space for $25,000 apiece.  I remember delivering pizzas to the small two-family to the left of these lots several times over the course of several years and the place never had electricity.  The tenants seemingly refused to pay their electric bill for years.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1254312,-84.494578,3a,75y,344.67h,86.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbLDLj4i69sj3XPrEjl7WkA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/CIN/1559499/710-712-Wayne-St-Walnut-Hills-OH-45206

I'm worried that the hype surrounding the area is going to stifle development in the way it is keeping things from happening in Over-the-Rhine.  The people who own the lots are going to hold out for top dollar instead of just selling the things and letting houses go up. 

Offline joshknut

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #614 on: November 10, 2017, 08:04:35 AM »
What non-profit got a hold of the Walnut Hills Kroger site?

Online JYP

• Global Moderator
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #615 on: November 10, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »
What non-profit got a hold of the Walnut Hills Kroger site?

The WHRF.
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #616 on: November 10, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »
A bit more info from: https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/10/exclusive-nonprofit-gains-control-of-former-walnut.html

For now, the [Walnut Hills Redevelopment Foundation] is looking at reconfiguring the building so it is oriented to East McMillan Street and Kemper Lane.

“In a perfect world it would be a grocery, we’re not giving up on that,” Wright said. “Whatever we do, we want to make sure it is a place again where everyone feels welcome and can connect with one another.”

The foundation received a $35,000 urban revitalization grant from Duke Energy in October that will be used to help with community engagement, architectural design and a request for proposals process that will be informed by the community. Wright said the foundation will start engaging with the community now to see what could happen with the property. He hopes to finalize plans next year and break ground in 2019.

“That’s optimistic, but we need to move fast,” he said.

In the meantime, Wright said the plan is to open the property’s parking lot up for public parking between the former Kroger store and CVS. That additional parking will help the new businesses such as Video Archive and Just Q’in Barbecue restaurant in Trevarren Flats.

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #617 on: December 07, 2017, 09:51:41 AM »
$55 million East Walnut Hills project lands key approval

The planned redevelopment of the former Anthem campus in East Walnut Hills had landed a key approval.

Cincinnati City Planning Commission unanimously approved a zoning change for the 7.2-acre site on the southwest corner of William Howard Taft Road and Woodburn Avenue to planned development from office limited. The zoning change is a necessary step for the development team of Al Neyer, Vandercar Holdings LLC and the Fortus Group as they work to develop the site into a mixed-use project.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/09/15/55-million-east-walnut-hills-projects-lands-key.html

Mentioned before but it looks like full demolition has started, about a quarter of the 6 or so tall main building of the old Anthem offices is down already.

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #618 on: December 07, 2017, 01:58:43 PM »
Pretty sure I mentioned this before but I'm bummed they're not saving the old telephone exchange building on the corner of Taft and Woodburn.  Yes it doesn't have a great setback, and few even notice that it's there because of the trees, but it's a very handsome building.

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #619 on: December 07, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
Pretty sure I mentioned this before but I'm bummed they're not saving the old telephone exchange building on the corner of Taft and Woodburn.  Yes it doesn't have a great setback, and few even notice that it's there because of the trees, but it's a very handsome building.
I always wondered what that building was originally built for. I had assumed it was an old school.

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #620 on: December 07, 2017, 02:58:25 PM »
Yeah same here, it is a nice building... I haven't seen them tearing at that one yet but I assume they will/are already just hard to see when driving by, they have the whole site fenced off

Online ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #621 on: December 08, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »
First look at $13M Firehouse Row development in Walnut Hills

The $13 million mixed-use Firehouse Row development in Walnut Hills is going before the Cincinnati City Planning Commission for final approval on Dec. 15, and as part of that the development team is giving the first look at a complex that will add density to the east side of the neighborhood's business district.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/08/first-look-at-13firehouse-row-development-in.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline neilworms

« Reply #622 on: December 11, 2017, 05:17:04 PM »
All those great old buildings torn down for this garbage  >:(

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline Yves Behar

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #624 on: December 15, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »
gross.

Offline thomasbw

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #625 on: December 15, 2017, 10:37:59 AM »
the Des Moines front porch is pretty baller

Offline thebillshark

« Reply #626 on: December 15, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »
Will it add population to the neighborhood? Check. Does the building address the street? Check. Does it have entrances along the sidewalk that will create sidewalk activity? Check. Sounds like a good project to me.

Offline edale

« Reply #627 on: December 15, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
The link Jake posted does not show the current design of Firehouse Row. Milhaus is developing the project. You can see the renders in the article below. Not great architecture, but not terrible, and like thebillshark says, it will add population and diversity to WH, and is very much needed. This neighborhood is at the beginning of its renaissance, so it's naive to think that infill would be high end or architecturally significant.  I agree that it's a shame that so much of the neighborhood has been torn down, but other than advocating for preserving the existing historic building stock, all we can do at this point is fill in the gaps with new construction.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/08/first-look-at-13firehouse-row-development-in.html

Offline thebillshark

« Reply #628 on: December 15, 2017, 01:41:22 PM »
I think it’s a great project actually. Some new apartment infill projects have long walls with no entrances facing the street, meanwhile their entrances face into an interior parking lot that comes right up to people’s front windows, hardly a shrubbery in between. This faces outward towards the public space of the street and the parking is contained in two neat rows behind it and the parking does not dominate the site.  More detailed plans here:

https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/planning/about-city-planning/city-planning-commission/dec-15-2017-packet/

I will take a project that has a solid urbanist site plan over chasing the unicorn of “Good” or “Great” architecture whatever that means.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #629 on: December 15, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »
Solid urbanism and frankly as far as short wood-framed 21st century affordably built apartment buildings go, this looks pretty decent. There's nothing offensive about it and it has some nice moments. Obviously not winning any awards, but neither are any of this style of project anywhere. The site plan is done intelligently which is most important as Thebillshark points out. And the building itself is appropriately scaled and directs human activity to the street as much as possible. I approve completely and think it'll add a ton to this stretch.