PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Peak Education  (Read 1602 times)

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
Re: Peak Education
« Reply #600 on: November 10, 2017, 12:26:50 PM »
I couldn't do the skilled trades since I am way too scared of heights. Being a machinist or working on cars are about it if you want to stay on the ground and not get immediately pointed toward scaffolding -- and my folks wouldn't let me go into auto repair.

Offline westerninterloper

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #601 on: November 10, 2017, 12:43:39 PM »
I couldn't do the skilled trades since I am way too scared of heights. Being a machinist or working on cars are about it if you want to stay on the ground and not get immediately pointed toward scaffolding -- and my folks wouldn't let me go into auto repair.

I spent half the day yesterday using an industrial sander on my friends' wood floors, and I havent felt that kind of immediate satisfaction in years. Academic work is a lot of delayed, then minimal gratification. 

Online Brutus_buckeye

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #602 on: November 10, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
Skilled trades is a very good profession. There are plumbers, welders and electricians that earn consistently more per year and over their lifetime than many masters degree candidates including teachers, college administrative staff and even tenured PHD professors. The big drawback to many of these positions is that they are labor intensive and can take a toll on the body as you age. In addition, you often do not have the flexibility you would otherwise have in other white collar professions

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #603 on: November 12, 2017, 09:52:08 PM »
Doing away with shared dorm rooms for single person rooms was certainly a big expense for schools that they pretty much had to do. Today's students can't fathom all those rules from the '60s about when boys and girls can see each other. They're not going to be put into a situation where they can't have their stupid boyfriend sleep over every single night.

Those rules were gone at Case during the very early 80s, on the south side we had suites of six small singles with common restrooms/showers and a living area.  At least two of my suitemates basically had their girlfriends living with them.  I think they might have cared if both women didn't officially live on campus, but otherwise they didn't.   So this is nothing new.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #604 on: November 13, 2017, 10:14:30 PM »
Yale's new dorms are pretty incredible.  They just opened but they look like they're from 1750.  This report is pretty interesting because the guy in charge makes the point that students are assigned randomly to the freshman "colleges" (the different dorm clusters).  You can't overstate how important the dorm experience is.  All teaching at all levels is split between the instructor and the students themselves.  Maybe not for a typical 100-level lecture class in an auditorium but is definitely the case for any sort of class with group projects and certainly anything in the arts. 

It's my general observation that people who went away for college and lived in the dorms -- even for people who didn't finish a degree program -- benefited greatly from it.  The experience of getting away from the home town and getting a totally new group of friends from all over the place is something you can't do later.  People who joined the military had a similar experience. 

If you're away from the family, you are free to become a different person, and you can put on the act that you're the same person for those occasional trips back to the home town.  If you never leave, there are all sorts of soft forces that keep you from being able to change. 

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #605 on: November 13, 2017, 10:32:59 PM »
It's my general observation that people who went away for college and lived in the dorms -- even for people who didn't finish a degree program -- benefited greatly from it.  The experience of getting away from the home town and getting a totally new group of friends from all over the place is something you can't do later.  People who joined the military had a similar experience. 

Not neccesarily.  I started out living at Case, switched over to commuting after three semesters.  My GPA was a full point higher when I was commuting.  Mostly it was the "food" literally making me sick, but that wasn't all of it.  It's not for everybody.

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #606 on: November 14, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »

But then you have to go to their weddings for the rest of your life

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #607 on: November 14, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »
But then you have to go to their weddings for the rest of your life

Yes, often more than one wedding per dude.