Author Topic: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News  (Read 160569 times)

Offline tastybunns

• Huntington Tower 330'
Re: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News
« Reply #5940 on: August 09, 2018, 05:35:45 PM »
12 story office building as well. Not bad!

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #5941 on: August 09, 2018, 05:41:15 PM »
Interestingly, this is the second announcement this year of a large-scale, mixed-use development with a Chicago developer located at a Cleveland rail station.

Lest we forget that Flats East Bank Phase 3 features a 12-story apartment building called Kenect Cleveland, which is a 50-50 joint venture between Wolstein and Chicago investor-developer Akara.

Chicago investors see the value in making large-scale developments around higher-capacity, electrically powered rail systems.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:03:48 PM by KJP »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5942 on: August 09, 2018, 06:12:45 PM »
BTW, we need not overlook this paragraph near the end of @mjarboe's article (ie: there's probably more coming)....

Within weeks, RTA expects to solicit interest from developers in nearby land it owns on Columbus Road. "The goal is to create a high-quality, dense, mixed-use, transit-oriented development on the site, which could complement this new Harbor Bay project," spokeswoman Linda Krecic wrote in an email.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5943 on: August 09, 2018, 07:44:21 PM »
This project is a game-changer for Cleveland. So much residential multifamily development (The Quarter, Battery Park, Edison, Etc) on the Near West has been unfortunately far from the Red Line. This has long been the absolute best TOD site in the city and I think most of us had resigned ourselves to the fact that it wasn't going to happen anytime soon. And to boot we have a developer from a transit-oriented city with experience doing TOD. Could not be happier.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:51:43 PM by mu2010 »

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5944 on: August 09, 2018, 07:48:07 PM »
The next long-term dream is a mixed-use, mixed-income TOD at 65th & Lorain...

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5945 on: August 09, 2018, 07:50:26 PM »

Good call. And soon that ginormous surface lot behind the Market may start looking really tasty.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5946 on: August 09, 2018, 08:25:22 PM »

You mean something like this?? ;)

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5947 on: August 09, 2018, 08:46:28 PM »
BTW, we need not overlook this paragraph near the end of @mjarboe's article (ie: there's probably more coming)....

Within weeks, RTA expects to solicit interest from developers in nearby land it owns on Columbus Road. "The goal is to create a high-quality, dense, mixed-use, transit-oriented development on the site, which could complement this new Harbor Bay project," spokeswoman Linda Krecic wrote in an email.

has RTA considered becoming a partner in development projects as a way to diversify revenue streams? Rather than selling the land outright they could share in the cash flow.

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5948 on: August 09, 2018, 08:49:36 PM »
Yes, but way bigger. I think the city should sell a bit of land from Michael J Zone. It's so big they could give a bit and preserve the park.

Offline freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5949 on: August 09, 2018, 09:14:50 PM »
Personally I love it. I like the site plan, the multiple buildings, the large windows in the towers. Kind of hard to tell though from this rendering whats going on at street level and how that's going to work. That Plaza will be jam packed in the summer and if it's done right the winter also. All the retail space makes me a little nervous but that's why we need another half dozen of these over the next five years to bring more traffic to these doors. I am less concerned these days about how beautiful the design is. I just want it to be functional and sustainable. I'll save the iconic designs for the Jacobs Lot and the higher profile spaces. Let's just build and rehab more stuff. Keep the momentum going. It brings energy and hope to a city.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5950 on: August 09, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »
has RTA considered becoming a partner in development projects as a way to diversify revenue streams? Rather than selling the land outright they could share in the cash flow.

No. They don't know how to do that.

Yes, but way bigger. I think the city should sell a bit of land from Michael J Zone. It's so big they could give a bit and preserve the park.

I'd rather see ARJ's Auto Sales and Menyhart Plumbing & Heating Supply give way to something more vertical and mixed. But that's for the Detroit-Shoreway thread.

Offline Enginerd

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5951 on: August 09, 2018, 09:24:01 PM »

It would be nice if the could borrow some expertise from PlayhouseSquare, because they seem to be absolute experts in that regard.

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5952 on: August 09, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »

They should sell air rights on top of their stations. Extend this new development to go literally on top of the W. 25 station.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5953 on: August 09, 2018, 11:30:07 PM »
Market Plaza caught the company's eye due to Dan Whalen, a 30-year-old Willoughby native who started working in real estate in 2012 and moved to Chicago in 2014. A former high school, college and arena-football quarterback, Whalen signed on at Harbor Bay in May

"He would call on a pretty regular basis to check on the site. He was very persistent. ... These guys are looking at this pretty aggressively," said Tom McNair, executive director of Ohio City, Inc., a nonprofit neighborhood group.

If you google Dan, hes a very pro Cleveland guy...all-American QB from Case Western Reserve as well.

For example, he wrote this piece in 2011: http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20110901/NEWS/309019974

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5954 on: August 09, 2018, 11:34:55 PM »
He just followed me and my work (All Aboard Ohio) Twitter accounts in the past day. I was happy to return the favor!

Now can we can convince them to buy the Jacobs Lot on Public Square??

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5955 on: August 10, 2018, 01:30:44 AM »

One glitch is that transit agencies who aren't using property they own are required by federal law to dispose of those properties. I'm pretty sure that includes land used by others for their purposes, even if it benefits the transit agency.

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5956 on: August 10, 2018, 06:07:51 AM »
RTA needs a pro-TOD/pro-transit nonprofit the way cities set up cdcs and improvement corporations.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5957 on: August 10, 2018, 08:52:55 AM »
RTA needs a pro-TOD/pro-transit nonprofit the way cities set up cdcs and improvement corporations.

I've often considered this too. If you and others want to discuss it more, let's go here:
https://www.urbanohio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1977.0.html

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5958 on: August 10, 2018, 09:02:16 AM »
Market Plaza caught the company's eye due to Dan Whalen, a 30-year-old Willoughby native who started working in real estate in 2012 and moved to Chicago in 2014. A former high school, college and arena-football quarterback, Whalen signed on at Harbor Bay in May

"He would call on a pretty regular basis to check on the site. He was very persistent. ... These guys are looking at this pretty aggressively," said Tom McNair, executive director of Ohio City, Inc., a nonprofit neighborhood group.

If you google Dan, hes a very pro Cleveland guy...all-American QB from Case Western Reserve as well.

For example, he wrote this piece in 2011: http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20110901/NEWS/309019974

He threw for 380 yards and 5 TD's against me my freshman year. :|   

Offline Eastside

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5959 on: August 10, 2018, 09:31:05 AM »

Any idea where this land parcel is?

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5960 on: August 10, 2018, 09:36:04 AM »
Looking at the county website, they own land on the west side of Columbus from 25th to almost the river (Franklin). Runs along the tracks. It fronts Columbus south of Abbey Ave bridge, but there are houses in front of RTA's land north of that bridge.

Thing is that is all land earmarked for the Greenway, I thought. But they can probably squeeze something else in there along Columbus.

Offline Mendo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #5961 on: August 10, 2018, 10:35:32 AM »
Huge thumbs up on the proposal. I hope they can get tenants for the office space without poaching downtown.

My only complaint, and it's a minor one, I would rather see a strong statement at the corner of W. 25th and Lorain. Rather than worrying about respecting the Westside Market. I'd rather they make a statement of their own and build tall right up to the corner.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:41:02 AM by Mendo »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5962 on: August 10, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »
Looking at the county website, they own land on the west side of Columbus from 25th to almost the river (Franklin). Runs along the tracks. It fronts Columbus south of Abbey Ave bridge, but there are houses in front of RTA's land north of that bridge.

Thing is that is all land earmarked for the Greenway, I thought. But they can probably squeeze something else in there along Columbus.

See the zoning map posted in the Duck Island thread. The greenway is the old Cleveland Union Terminal railroad right of way (had only 2 CUT tracks but was designed to accommodate 4 tracks), within feet of and at the same elevation as the RTA tracks. The land to be sold will be a newly created parcel, between the old CUT right of way and Columbus Road. It's mostly sloping land. And I seem to recall that past plans for that site had the driveway/garage entrances down at track level with the hillside dug out for the garages with the living spaces for the townhouses above. Those plans were blocked by the old Duck Island Block Club when it was run by Rosemary Vinci. RIP.

BTW, on Google I measured about 75 feet between the CUT right of way and the sidewalk along Columbus Road....

Columbus Road RTA parcel-2017 by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:35:32 AM by KJP »