Author Topic: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News  (Read 141101 times)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News
« Reply #5730 on: June 29, 2018, 10:02:14 PM »
Is construction about to begin on the new school where Max Hayes stood? The dirt looks freshly disturbed and there's a couple of large construction vehicles on site. I saw it while passing by on the Shoreway so I couldn't get a good look, so perhaps someone else can provide more insight.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline skorasaurus

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5731 on: June 30, 2018, 12:47:32 PM »
Is construction about to begin on the new school where Max Hayes stood? The dirt looks freshly disturbed and there's a couple of large construction vehicles on site. I saw it while passing by on the Shoreway so I couldn't get a good look, so perhaps someone else can provide more insight.

Don't know much more, but yes, they've been moving dirt around on this week for the first time in 6+ months. Nothing more than moving dirt around (no foundation, excavating, etc)

Offline Eastside

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5732 on: July 09, 2018, 10:12:25 AM »
Anyone have any recent progress photos of The Quarter Project?

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5733 on: July 09, 2018, 10:13:35 AM »

I haven't taken pictures. But I live about 1,000 feet away - they're not done, but there are now people living in some of the units. Which baffles me.

Offline imjustinjk

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5734 on: July 09, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »

I haven't taken pictures. But I live about 1,000 feet away - they're not done, but there are now people living in some of the units. Which baffles me.

Seems somewhat common. OUC had a multiphase lease as she me apartments became available sooner. The Halle build My will as well.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #5735 on: July 09, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »
^texting and driving much ;)

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5736 on: July 09, 2018, 02:58:13 PM »

Seems somewhat common. OUC had a multiphase lease as she me apartments became available sooner. The Halle build My will as well.

It was just funny, I was walking by the other day, and a man and woman were lounging on their porch reading whilst construction crews carried on two floors beneath them

Offline imjustinjk

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5737 on: July 10, 2018, 11:13:16 AM »

It was just funny, I was walking by the other day, and a man and woman were lounging on their porch reading whilst construction crews carried on two floors beneath them

That is pretty funny. Probably a little noisy.

Offline skorasaurus

• Kettering Tower 408'

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5739 on: July 10, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »
Tweets by @mjarboe today....

Checked out the @MusicSettlement’s new space in #CLE’s Ohio City this morning, at the Quarter project at West 25th and Detroit. Early childhood education starts in August. Music instruction and music therapy kick off in September.

Also, here are some photos of the residential lobby and apartments at the Quarter. Renters started moving in two weeks ago. Roughly 60 percent leased. Ground floor space will house @MusicSettlement, the Grocery and a furniture showroom. Co-working and food hall across the street.

"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline imjustinjk

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5740 on: July 11, 2018, 11:42:04 PM »
^ The music settlement is a great asset. I was looking at their layout and on their website. It seems like a fairly large space. I also see that there's a playground? I wonder if that's just for the music settlement or anyone who lives in the building? The area is becoming more attractive to families. With the newly constructed Waverly Elementary and Middle School, upcoming new West Side High School, St Igs, Irishtown Bend and Edgewater the area could really attract millennial families and maybe families who don't live in the city. This is an important demographic that our city needs to appeal to. You always hear people say that they can't raise kids in Cleveland.

Offline RMB

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5741 on: July 12, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »
People are raising families in ohio city and its making homes in the neighborhood wildly expensive.  Lots of families want to live there but are priced out.

Also, Fresh Brewed Tees is taking over the old Whiskey/Grade location:
https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/07/fresh_brewed_tees_opening_reta.html

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5742 on: July 12, 2018, 10:08:22 AM »
What are some of the educational options for young children in Ohio City? Any new ones coming as part of new developments?

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5743 on: July 12, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
^I think the Urban Community School on Lorain is a popular choice.  While its mission is to serve low income students on the near west side I have know a number of Ohio City professionals who sent their kids there.   A client of mine was on the board and I have been impressed by the school for years.

Online Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5744 on: July 12, 2018, 10:24:37 AM »
Urban Community School is expanding like crazy and construction has started on the new near westside high school where May Hayes used to be.

Here's the full list of schools in Ohio City: http://www.ohiocity.org/schools-childcare

Offline Mwd711

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #5745 on: July 12, 2018, 11:32:07 AM »
What are some of the educational options for young children in Ohio City? Any new ones coming as part of new developments?

Hawken is planning an Early Childhood Center near Gordon Square. They own the property but I think they are still gauging the market.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5746 on: July 12, 2018, 11:37:07 AM »
^I think the Urban Community School on Lorain is a popular choice.  While its mission is to serve low income students on the near west side I have know a number of Ohio City professionals who sent their kids there.   A client of mine was on the board and I have been impressed by the school for years.

My friends in Lakewood send their kids there also.

Offline imjustinjk

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5747 on: July 12, 2018, 11:50:01 AM »
People are raising families in ohio city and its making homes in the neighborhood wildly expensive.  Lots of families want to live there but are priced out.

Also, Fresh Brewed Tees is taking over the old Whiskey/Grade location:
https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/07/fresh_brewed_tees_opening_reta.html

There's not a ton of attractive optitons for families in the city proper besides OHC, Tremont, Edgewater, Detroit Shoreway area.  University Circle/Little Italy and MidTown has potential and is becoming more attractive. The urban infill homes are relatively affordable, and there's a lot of family friendly things to do over there. There's a few decent schools over there as well. There's always Old Brooklyn, Kamm's, and Shaker Square too. I don't know a ton about those except that Shaker Square can send kids to Shaker Schools, but isn't that mainly apartments? I think that the inner west side and University Circle area are the most attractive for younger people, and for families which will make them really expensive unfortunately. There needs to be more homes being built under 250K. There's not many around in Ohio City.

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5748 on: July 12, 2018, 12:35:09 PM »
^I know you did not mean it that way but your post, especially the first sentence, could be viewed as very racists.

Offline jmc8651

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #5749 on: July 12, 2018, 12:39:09 PM »
Campus International on the CSU campus is popular school choice too especially for families that work downtown. A friend of mine who lived in OC sent his son there before relocating to Columbus.

Also prep schools in Shaker such as US, HB and Laurel draw from the near west side. Not huge numbers given the cost but I know several families who use that option

Offline jmc8651

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #5750 on: July 12, 2018, 12:57:27 PM »
^I know you did not mean it that way but your post, especially the first sentence, could be viewed as very racists.

Why is this racist? Is it because the neighborhoods he listed are on the west side?  I've worked with many young people who live in east side neighborhoods such as Hough. They have to deal with things everyday no child should have to encounter. Their families live there because of poverty not because it's a great place to live.  Perhaps I misunderstood your response.

Offline Mov2Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5751 on: July 12, 2018, 01:08:19 PM »

Why is this racist? Is it because the neighborhoods he listed are on the west side?  I've worked with many young people who live in east side neighborhoods such as Hough. They have to deal with things everyday no child should have to encounter. Their families live there because of poverty not because it's a great place to live.  Perhaps I misunderstood your response.

Yea,

I don't see that comment as racists either.

Offline imjustinjk

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5752 on: July 12, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »

I misspoke. There aren't many attractive neighborhoods for millennial families who value experiences and amenities. It was more classicism than racism, which is is still bad - I admit and I apologize. I guess racism and classicism go hand-in-hand though. Unfortunately many of our neighborhoods are not desirable to many families.

Well UC, Little Italy, and MidTown are east side, but I digress. Wasn't trying to sir anything up.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:15:55 PM by imjustinjk »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5753 on: July 12, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »

Don't know much more, but yes, they've been moving dirt around on this week for the first time in 6+ months. Nothing more than moving dirt around (no foundation, excavating, etc)

Looks like they're definitely doing some subsurface infrastructure (waterlines/sewers?) work.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5754 on: July 16, 2018, 07:21:55 PM »
More world-class signage.....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=2906&CASE=DF%202018-063

Downtown/Flats Design Review Case Report

RED-LINE GREENWAY MURAL

Back Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Downtown/Flats Case #  DF 2018-063

Address:   1948 Franklin Ave. (Approximate) | Franklin Ave & RTA Viaduct Bridge Abutment
Company:   LAND Studio
Architect:   Agnes Studio
Description:   
New large scale wall mural on an existing bridge abutment.

Notes:   
Project AKA: InterUrban Phase II

Committee Actions/Submissions

Date:   July 12, 2018
Committee:   Staff
Action Type:   Initial Plan Submission

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5755 on: July 18, 2018, 05:03:29 PM »
Ohio City Galley, a restaurant accelerator with four startup eateries, will open in October. Looks like a fun concept.
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180718/news/168706/ohio-city-galley-restaurant-accelerator-four-startup-eateries-will-open

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5756 on: July 18, 2018, 06:17:42 PM »
I am bad at images on here, but the Landmarks agenda is out for this week. Knez is proposing to build a pretty cool (and dense!) little development on the small lot at 4241 Lorain. This is the type of stuff that has me hopeful for the numerous missing teeth along Lorain and other commercial corridors

Cool! Here it is.....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2018/05102018/index.php

Case 18-031
Lorain Avenue Historic District
4247 Lorain Avenue
New Commercial-Residential Building

Ward 3
McCormack

Hannah Cohan Plessner
B. R. Knez Construction

Update. The graphics quoted look like six residential units are proposed and no parking garage. Has the plan changed?

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2018/crr07-30-2018.pdf

9:30
Calendar No. 18-159: 4247 Lorain Ave. Ward 3
Kerry McCormack
18 Notices
B.R. Knez proposes to construct a new “Live-Work” building with 27 residential units, a 30 car
parking garage and commercial space on a City of Cleveland Land Bank lot in a D3 Local Retail
Business District and a Pedestrian Retail Overlay District (PRO). The owner appeals for relief from the
strict application of the following sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances:
1. Section 343.01 which states that unspecified “Live Work” use is not permitted in a Local Retail
Business District but first permitted in Live work District per chapter 346.
2. Sections 349.04(a)&(f) which states that 7 off-street parking spaces are required and 2
parking spaces are proposed.
3. Section 355.04 which states that the maximum gross floor area of building in a ‘D’ area district
shall not exceed the total lot area; or in this case 3,217 square feet are permitted and 5,521
square feet are proposed. (Filed July 11, 2018)

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #5757 on: July 18, 2018, 07:45:28 PM »
27 Residential units and 30 parking space?  They are really packing them into that little building!

Online w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5758 on: July 18, 2018, 08:56:16 PM »
27 and 30 is a typo no?

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #5759 on: July 18, 2018, 09:06:51 PM »
Odd typos.  Maybe a "cut and paste" error?