PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News  (Read 85398 times)

Offline Mendo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Re: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News
« Reply #5490 on: April 10, 2018, 01:25:58 PM »
That's Ari Maron from MRN, I guess his new residence. Must be nice...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2018/01252018/index.php

It now appears MRN will replace all of the windows, not just the top floor. The agenda item says the case was tabled 3/22. I wonder if Landmark pushed for a more extensive rehab. If so, good.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2018/04122018/index.php

Case 18-022 (Tabled 3-22-18)
Market Square Historic District
2104 West 25th Street
Window Replacement

(here is the current streetview)

Offline Mendo

« Reply #5491 on: April 10, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »
I believe something about this was posted upthread. This is pretty big -- the former Spang Baking Company on Barber will be converted to around 60 apartments. The site plan also shows townhomes fronting Vega concealing a new parking lot.

Case 18-028
J. Spang Baking Company
2707 Barber Avenue
Renovation

(current streetview on Barber)

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5492 on: April 10, 2018, 01:56:02 PM »
this is exactly the kind of rehab/upgrade to love. it shows a real appreciation for the existing built form of the city. i wonder what tearing it down and rebuilding would cost as compared to what kinds of renovations they are going to do to it? would be an interesting comparison. of course they are making the outstanding choice by rehabbing!

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5493 on: April 10, 2018, 02:18:11 PM »
A former UO forumer is doing the Spang project. Perhaps he can Be persuaded to come out of lurking/retirement to give us a little insight?

Offline PoshSteve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #5494 on: April 10, 2018, 06:12:46 PM »
Wonderful. I'm very glad to see things spreading south along 25th.

Offline Mendo

« Reply #5495 on: April 13, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »
Some more information about the Spang Baking renovation.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180411/news/157951/developer-plans-revive-old-bakery-apartments

Developer plans to revive old bakery as apartments

Efforts are underway to rejuvenate a one-time bakery building at 2707 Barber Ave. in Cleveland as 69 rental apartments.

The sprawling, four-block long structure dates to 1900 when it was constructed for the J. Spang Baking Co., which was acquired by the former Laub Baking Co. in 1958, according to "The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History." The local history said Spang's roots go back to 1888 when founder Julius Spang opened a "small bake shop" using skills as a baker he learned in Germany before coming to the U.S.

Preliminary plans to convert the structure to apartments as a historic adaptive reuse project are scheduled to be reviewed Thursday, April 12 by the Cleveland Landmarks Commission. An application for $1.7 million in Ohio State Historic Preservation Tax Credits was filed March 30 for Round 20 of the program. Recipients of the credits in the intensely competitive program will be announced by June 30.
Neither Brooker nor Ben Beckman, president of Beta Propco LLC which owns the building, would comment on the renovation's projected costs because they are still being developed.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #5496 on: April 13, 2018, 01:45:33 PM »
An unusual #CRE deal: Nonprofit neighborhood group buys Family Dollar store in #CLE's Ohio City, with eye on preserving affordable shopping. https://t.co/zUftp2fsFY

There's quite a few new businesses opening in Ohio City next month, including @BeautyShoppeUSA coworking and coffee shop at The Quarter on Detroit Ave. https://t.co/pqd9L2YWMz
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5497 on: April 13, 2018, 02:12:29 PM »
^And the deli that just opened in Hingetown is great

Offline David Ellison

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5498 on: April 15, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »
McCormack responded to my email, he said thanks and that he supports the project. (41st and Lorain)
  Yes, the councilman's letter of support along with a dozen others were mentioned at the BZA hearing.  The unfortunate thing about this project is how ugly it is and how substandard the design of the buildings and the circulation within them is...  This forum misunderstands the pushback from the neighbors...  we think our neighborhood and the residents who will live in these buildings are entitled to better design, including reasonable parking spaces, if they want them.  Accepting crappy design without pushback is pathetic.  Would the people advocating for all of the mediocrity have us stand by without pushing back? 

Offline jeremyck01

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #5499 on: April 15, 2018, 04:16:34 PM »
McCormack responded to my email, he said thanks and that he supports the project. (41st and Lorain)
  Yes, the councilman's letter of support along with a dozen others were mentioned at the BZA hearing.  The unfortunate thing about this project is how ugly it is and how substandard the design of the buildings and the circulation within them is...  This forum misunderstands the pushback from the neighbors...  we think our neighborhood and the residents who will live in these buildings are entitled to better design, including reasonable parking spaces, if they want them.  Accepting crappy design without pushback is pathetic.  Would the people advocating for all of the mediocrity have us stand by without pushing back? 

Well, it seems most of the people on this forum are pretty happy with the design.  With good reason, I would say, as this is a well designed, dense example of what urban infill should be.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5500 on: April 15, 2018, 04:25:00 PM »
He's an architect. Ask one architect what they think of another's work and they'll brutally tell them to go back to Crayons or an Etch-a-Sketch! :)
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5501 on: April 15, 2018, 07:27:07 PM »
^Especially David Ellison...

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5502 on: April 15, 2018, 08:30:46 PM »
^Especially David Ellison...

You're funny.

Offline David Ellison

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5503 on: April 15, 2018, 10:30:42 PM »
He's an architect. Ask one architect what they think of another's work and they'll brutally tell them to go back to Crayons or an Etch-a-Sketch! :)
  Actually, I think the architect of this project could have done a better job, and that the two street frontages are passable, but he kept claiming his client wouldn't let him do a better job with the parking and the south-facing facade.  The internal courtyard elevations are horrible, as are the backsides.  Don't get me wrong, David Maison seems like a likable person and some of his work looks better than this project.  Regardless of client preferences and instructions, the architect is ultimately responsible for the design, and this design is quite poor, mostly because of the lack of attention to the south facade and the ridiculous notion of how cars can or cannot be maneuvered in tight spaces.  The combination of bad direction from the client and desperation on the part of the architect and the city makes for bad architecture. The profession of architecture is often likened to prostitution... this is sometimes an accurate description of the work when working for sleazeball developers.

Offline Mendo

« Reply #5504 on: April 15, 2018, 10:52:45 PM »
Well, it seems most of the people on this forum are pretty happy with the design.  With good reason, I would say, as this is a well designed, dense example of what urban infill should be.

The facades are nice enough, and it's built to the sidewalk. But I agree with Ellison's comment about the confusing site plan. The traffic flow through the middle looks like a nightmare. Where he loses me though is the concern over lack of parking.

It seems the building would have been much simpler as a 3 or 4 story apartment building with ground floor retail.  Ideally with below grade parking, or if that's not feasible, parking tucked behind the retail frontage on the first floor. Why mess with a recipe that's worked for generations.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5505 on: April 16, 2018, 08:23:20 AM »
I commute home westbound on the Shoreway, going from E 9th to w 28th.

What Quarter has done to the visual volume and density of Ohio City is remarkable. From the Shoreway, the view that spans from Stonebridge to St Ignatius looks more like Brooklyn than Cleveland. Church and State is going to be a great addition

Offline skorasaurus

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5506 on: April 16, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »
An unusual #CRE deal: Nonprofit neighborhood group buys Family Dollar store in #CLE's Ohio City, with eye on preserving affordable shopping. https://t.co/zUftp2fsFY

There's quite a few new businesses opening in Ohio City next month, including @BeautyShoppeUSA coworking and coffee shop at The Quarter on Detroit Ave. https://t.co/pqd9L2YWMz

I wonder what happened to the loans and grants the Beauty Shoppe was scheduled to receive when they were slated to go into the Victory Building (at 70th and Euclid).

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/02/coworking_craze_hits_cleveland.html

Offline Larry1962

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #5507 on: April 18, 2018, 06:56:25 AM »
A little more detail on the Church & State mixed-use project in Ohio City:

More recently, the AFL-CIO Housing Investment Trust (HIT) agreed to direct the proceeds of a $43 million bond issue created by the federal Government National Mortgage Association as a first mortgage on the $56.9 million Church & State mixed-use project in Ohio City.

"We are not your grandfather's building trades unions," said David Wondolowski, executive secretary of the CBCTC. "We have a robust capital strategies program that is very enticing for developers today."

Wondolowski said that developers are now coming to the unions early in the development process because of the variety of financing options their investment funds offer.

"We can do anything," he said. "We can do senior debt, subordinated debt, mezzanine loans, we can do equity, we can do construction loans, bridge loans a whole variety of investment."

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180415/news/158196/building-trades-put-financial-clout-work

Offline Larry1962

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #5508 on: April 18, 2018, 07:05:27 AM »

I wonder what happened to the loans and grants the Beauty Shoppe was scheduled to receive when they were slated to go into the Victory Building (at 70th and Euclid).

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/02/coworking_craze_hits_cleveland.html

I assume that what happened to the loans and grants to the Beauty Shoppe that was scheduled to receive when they were first slated to go into the Victory Building instead as part of the Quarter project that maybe they was redirected to the NEW Techhive building that opened recently in Midtown. 

But in a way it worked better for Midtown/Health Tech Corridor because now they have both a co-working space in Tech Hive with coffee shop  and DEALERS TIRE has a 20 year below market lease at the Victory Building!

Several amenities that the Tech Hive will offer to eager entrepreneurs who rent desks and or offices in the new co-working space includes:

For $10 a day, startups can get a desk anywhere in the three story building, including access to a conference rooms, lounge areas, a wellness room with a shower and  of course Wifi.

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/03/dealer_tire_revs_up_long-vacan.html

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2018/04/digitalcs_new_tech_hive_space.html

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:23:50 AM by Larry1962 »

Offline matteusleus

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5509 on: Yesterday at 11:17:36 AM »
Casto-Dexter (Dimit Architects): 100 unit luxury apartment complex @ W28th & Franklin Cir.  It will be presented before the Franklin Clinton block club next week.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to post pictures - it has a very large presence w/ huge windows.  It looks nicely done with underground & structured parking - from what I can tell, the parking + units all fit in the same profile w/ apts stacked over parking.   I have a feeling this will get major pushback from the neighborhood but we'll see.  Its has studios, 1BR, 2BR, and 3BR apts. 

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5510 on: Yesterday at 11:34:26 AM »
^Pics or it didn't happen

Offline matteusleus

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5511 on: Yesterday at 12:04:08 PM »
haha well I still don't know how & unfortunately I cannot find the drawing tool either...  Just sent you PM

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5512 on: Yesterday at 12:14:30 PM »
That is a great spot for apartments though, really. That's a bit of a dead spot in Hingetown

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5513 on: Yesterday at 12:23:38 PM »
Urban Properties Group LLC bought a parcel along Dexter Court in 2003 for $100,000. It then bought the parking lot parcel on the northwest side of the former Franklin Circle in 2017 for $225,000.

Proposed is a 100-unit, 5-story apartment project. Parking would be underground with a small surface lot along Dexter Court.

Offline viscomi

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5514 on: Yesterday at 12:23:55 PM »
That is a great spot for apartments though, really. That's a bit of a dead spot in Hingetown

Pics or I don't believe you :)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5515 on: Yesterday at 12:50:03 PM »
As requested. Thanks to matteusleus for sending me the PDF so I could post these JPGs....

Offline Mendo

« Reply #5516 on: Yesterday at 01:04:42 PM »
That looks fantastic. Love the huge warehouse-style windows.

Offline gpodawund

• Excavation Site
« Reply #5517 on: Yesterday at 01:19:00 PM »
This is awesome, I was just over there not too long ago and thought it would be a great spot for something. Now if only there were plans for the parking lot on the other side of W28th....

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5518 on: Yesterday at 01:23:28 PM »
Welcome, and great username!

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5519 on: Yesterday at 01:28:25 PM »
Great news about the apartments proposed for Dexter Place. For all you young folks, here's a thread from 2004/2005 covering the last serious development proposal for this site: https://www.urbanohio.com/forum/index.php?topic=934.0