PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Xavier University: Development and News  (Read 1723 times)

Offline bendixondavis

• Kettering Tower 408'
Re: Cincinnati: Xavier University: Development and News
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »
Oh, I noticed the sidewalks were kind of weird, but the last time I went by they didn't have trees.  That does sound weird all around, but traffic doesn't really go fast through any part of Montgomery through Norwood, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Offline jdm00

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2014, 05:43:46 PM »
The sidewalk configuration along Montgomery is very peculiar though.  There's a small, like maybe 3 or 4 foot sidewalk along the curb with utility poles rammed into it, then a berm with lots of trees, bushes, and ornamental grasses, then another wider sidewalk higher up that sort of roller coasters down to the north to be level with all the storefronts.  Aside from the trees hiding the storefronts and signs from the street, it's a surprisingly anti-urban pattern that treats Montgomery as a car sewer to be retreated from.  If per chance they allow street parking, it might help a little bit, but my guess is they won't.

I love XU, but I am not surprised by this.  The XU campus has always been (in my view) about making it into a bubble.  It's always felt like a suburban-type of college campus, despite its obvious urban location. 

Offline dmerkow

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2014, 02:26:21 PM »
Xavier was a suburban campus that the city caught up to and passed. When the Xs (St.X and XU) were still downtown, this was the first of two moves out of town. St. X left later for even farther north.

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2014, 02:43:47 PM »
Xavier was developed around Victory Parkway. There is a great book that I came across a while back when I worked up there that explained the methodology of location selection and it's orientation towards the parkway. At the time, Xavier was on the edge of the city with a lot of room to grow. All buildings essentially oriented inward.

By the 1960's, that plan had to open up. Alter Hall was one of the first major buildings built out of the parkway valley. It required students to cross Herald, which was open at the time. It was later closed off to the extent that it is today - and the main reason the stub remains off of Dana is for fire access and for that one house that stubbornly remained for years.

There are a lot of great pictures in the archives. Silly things like houses in the court yards of various campus buildings were allowed to remain (like here: http://goo.gl/maps/jPpBj) that were privately owned. Jesuits lived in them in later years, and then they became university offices. Schott Hall housed all of the Jesuits when that was built later on, and then it too became offices when the number of Jesuits declined (age, non-renewal, etc.).

It's not that Xavier didn't open up to Evanston or North Avondale - it just was that the city grew up around it.

Online jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »
The sidewalk configuration along Montgomery is very peculiar though.  There's a small, like maybe 3 or 4 foot sidewalk along the curb with utility poles rammed into it, then a berm with lots of trees, bushes, and ornamental grasses, then another wider sidewalk higher up that sort of roller coasters down to the north to be level with all the storefronts.  Aside from the trees hiding the storefronts and signs from the street, it's a surprisingly anti-urban pattern that treats Montgomery as a car sewer to be retreated from.  If per chance they allow street parking, it might help a little bit, but my guess is they won't.

I love XU, but I am not surprised by this.  The XU campus has always been (in my view) about making it into a bubble.  It's always felt like a suburban-type of college campus, despite its obvious urban location. 

I went by there today and was surprised to see parking meters have been installed along the west side of Montgomery from Cleneay to the railroad tracks.  They might go to Dana but I honestly don't recall.  Of course I suspect parking won't be allowed from 7-9AM and 4-6PM, but it's a good move anyway. 

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2016, 09:35:26 PM »
Xavier upgrades Cintas Center in time for promising season

Xavier University has made some renovations to enhance the fan experience in time for a season filled with high expectations, but itís also gearing up for even bigger changes next year.

Xavier is in the midst of a $30 million upgrade of its 16-year-old Cintas Center on-campus home. Athletic Director Greg Christopher has ramped up the expected budget for the eight-year project launched more than a year ago.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/11/02/xavier-upgrades-cintas-center-in-time-for.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2018, 05:29:59 PM »
XU basketball now ranked #4 and UC is ranked #5.