PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: The drivers in ________ city SUCK!  (Read 443 times)

Offline 8Titles

• Key Tower 947'
Re: The drivers in ________ city SUCK!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 01:35:13 PM »
1. Northeast Atlanta 
2. North Atlanta 
3. Northwest Atlanta

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 02:17:40 PM »
LA was the worst I've experienced.  As I remember any little thing, like trying to merge getting onto the highway, resulted in someone wanting to fight.  And I was going with the flow of traffic!

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 02:43:34 PM »
Damn this sure has taken off! I'm certainly glad I split this off from "Transportation Planning Gone Wrong" into its own thread when the debate over bad drivers was just a few messages old! Otherwise the other thread would have been taken in a completely different direction!!
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 02:57:22 PM »
LA was the worst I've experienced.  As I remember any little thing, like trying to merge getting onto the highway, resulted in someone wanting to fight.  And I was going with the flow of traffic!

Thats exactly why I don't drive in LA.  I know my temper and I'll be ready to get out the car and fight.

LA is only city I won't drive in.  Most other places I'll take public transportation or a taxi.  In LA I'll sit in back and let someone else drive.

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 02:58:19 PM »
Everyone loves to stereotype drivers in different  cities lol. It's not just the demographic at this kind of site. It's funny how you hear it everywhere. "People in _____ don't know how to drive!". Hehe.

Offline Loretto

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 02:59:19 PM »
Damn this sure has taken off! I'm certainly glad I split this off from "Transportation Planning Gone Wrong" into its own thread when the debate over bad drivers was just a few messages old! Otherwise the other thread would have been taken in a completely different direction!!

I'm sure everyone was just holding back because they didn't want to post off-topic.   :angel:

I can echo the sentiment of feeling unsafe (car wreck wise) when I first started driving around Ft. Lauderdale/Miami.  But my worst experience was when I was in Baton Rouge when they were still running a curfew during/after the hurricanes last year.  The rush hour just before curfew time was intense and I unfortunately got caught in it more than once.  It's an isolated experience but it certainly skews the way I look at drivers and traffic today.

Offline peabody99

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 04:54:17 PM »
Rome, Caracas, Boston, anywhere along the eastern part of New Jersey.

Offline ajknee

• ProkNo5
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 10:53:34 PM »
I'll agree with ColDayMan on Minnesota though.  Everyone drives like an angel in the Twin Cities.  Unfortunately that makes the erratic driver REALLY stand out and they can really catch you off guard there.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »
By what's stated this thread, it seems that cities in more conservative areas have less courteous drivers.

Offline EagleFan

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 11:36:11 AM »
By what's stated this thread, it seems that cities in more conservative areas have less courteous drivers.
::)

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 03:28:46 PM »

Ever been to Boston?? Or Paris!!!

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 03:42:16 PM »

Conservative areas tend to have more sprawl. I don't think sprawl = road rage but there's somewhat of a correlation.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »
Well, what I said was a bit of a joke.

KJP -- yes, I have been to Paris, and it sure was craaaazzy. I mean really, why NOT cram five vehicles into two lanes, right? But abroad, you kind of expect irrational driving patterns. The U.S. is intended to have a very orderly roadway system, and for the most part it turns out that way. Here, when the order is compromised the problems compound themselves very quickly.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:14:31 PM by GCrites80s »

Offline pointycollars

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 10:05:17 PM »
I groan every time I hear someone say "people here can't drive", because it's probably the most trite, overused and often meaningless complaint I know of. It's like they don't realize everyone else is saying that about them!

That said, LA is the worst. It's a combination of a couple things. First, the fact that its highway systems are ancient by interstate standards -- built in the 1950s -- means that a good deal of them don't conform to interstate construction standards, and you have on-ramps without adequate merging length and other problems. Second, it's a city where, like Atlanta, everyone drives everywhere because of the immense sprawl. And everyone goes 90 all the time.

Bigger cities do tend to have more aggressive drivers, though. I was with a friend who was driving around Chicago once and it made me nervous just being a passenger -- I'd never drive there in a million years. Good thing I don't have to!

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2009, 04:00:43 PM »
When I first moved to Cincinnati from Chicago I thought everyone he drove like crap.  I still do.  Mainly, it's poor highway etiquette, like slow cruising in the left lane, lots of weaving, trying to merge onto the highway at 40 mph.  Generally on surface streets it's ok, but sometimes there's a doofus who doesn't know how to make a turn or which lane they want to be in.  It seems around here that it's not an issue of people being aggressive or dangerous, but just driving like a...well...doofus. 

The disturbing part though is when I've driven back through Chicago, I experienced all the same problems I see here.  Namely, people blocking the passing lanes on the highway for no reason.  I remember saying, "damn, I thought people here were better than this."  Oh well. 

I have noticed a broad pattern, where it seems southerners (and we're already far enough south here in Cincinnati) just don't understand the principle of merging onto a highway.  The farther south you go, the slower people are when merging onto highways.  This also leads to people making a bee-line for the left lane, even if they're barely going the speed limit, to get out from behind all the other wankers who aren't accelerating. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2013, 04:41:15 PM »
Do most stupid drivers drive trucks??

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »
BTW, that video of all the trucks hitting the railroad bridge was shot in Raleigh, NC where stupid drivers must be everywhere!

Offline Grumpy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 01:50:13 PM »
^half of them are rental trucks so it's no surprise they don't know the exact height of the vehicle but still that's pretty pathetic.

Offline KyleCincy

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 02:29:30 PM »
BTW, that video of all the trucks hitting the railroad bridge was shot in Raleigh, NC where stupid drivers must be everywhere!

The issue is the low clearance of the bridge. There should be 50 warning signs or something telling truck drivers to stop.
The name of the video is 11' 8" the clearance height. Dam near everyone assumes that a truck will pass safely under a bridge.

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »
It's actually in Durham not Raleigh.  But anyway, they even have a detector to activate warning lights when a vehicle is over the height limit.  http://goo.gl/maps/DOoFA  Maybe they need to make it a flashing red instead of yellow, but it's not as if the city and the railroad are lacking in due diligence. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »
The issue is the low clearance of the bridge. There should be 50 warning signs or something telling truck drivers to stop.
The name of the video is 11' 8" the clearance height. Dam near everyone assumes that a truck will pass safely under a bridge.

'Can Opener Bridge' repeatedly ripping tops off of trucks

Authorities know of no serious injuries. Signs start warning of the low clearance several blocks away and vehicles that are too tall trigger the, "over height when flashing," lights, which drivers manage not to see, and don't even think of trying to slowly sneak up on the can opener.

So you say, why doesn't someone fix it? Raise the bridge; lower the road, but the sewer main runs right under the highway and the bridge would cost millions to raise. So the “can opener” keeps racking up hits that YouTube enjoys putting to music, like "Rocky," and "The good, the bad, and some ugly crashes."

http://www.kmov.com/video/featured-videos/Can-Opener-Bridge-repeatedly-ripping-tops-off-of-trucks-202730411.html

The bridge is the immovable object. No matter how many times you hit it, the clearance is not going to get any higher. No matter how many warning signs you place in advance of it, there are still going to be people who hit the bridge. So no matter how much you try to protect people from their own stupidity, some are going to defeat all attempts.

The smart answer is, if you aren't sure your vehicle will clear, you'd better start to steer....

Offline BuckeyeB

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
I posted a message earlier and it seems to have disappeared! Hmmm.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2013, 03:58:45 PM »
I posted a message earlier and it seems to have disappeared! Hmmm.

Nope. It was moved into a newly created thread.

Sobriety test: see if you can find it.....

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 06:39:56 PM »
Drivers can't seem to stop hitting a giant rock in a suburban parking lot, despite it being an inanimate object surrounded by yellow-painted curbs. "I don't know how you miss this big rock or how you cut the curb so tight you end up jacked up on the rock"  https://t.co/MxEwqdOtkZ