PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Greater Cincinnati Metro (SORTA) and TANK News & Discussion  (Read 7207 times)

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Greater Cincinnati Metro (SORTA) and TANK News & Discussion
« Reply #780 on: September 19, 2017, 01:20:41 PM »
So this garage is part of some conceptual "I-71 BRT" line which would have to make multiple turns to get to the garage? They just rebuilt the entire street grid in that part of the city and they couldn't incorporate a more direct route for this "BRT" line? Whoever designed this simply does not understand what BRT is.

Online thebillshark

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #781 on: September 19, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
So this garage is part of some conceptual "I-71 BRT" line which would have to make multiple turns to get to the garage? They just rebuilt the entire street grid in that part of the city and they couldn't incorporate a more direct route for this "BRT" line? Whoever designed this simply does not understand what BRT is.

Yes, it should probably not go in an "S" like that.

And what's with these Uptown shuttles being proposed? Are they going to be part of the bus system?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:35:04 PM by thebillshark »

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #782 on: September 19, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »
It would be cool if UC and the hospitals would scrap the individual shuttles that they run, and instead have a few consolidated Uptown Circulator shuttles that also connect to this new transit hub/park and ride.

Online JYP

• Global Moderator
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #783 on: September 19, 2017, 02:07:15 PM »

Yes, it should probably not go in an "S" like that.

And what's with these Uptown shuttles being proposed? Are they going to be part of the bus system?

It will probably be "Hop-On Cincy" style shuttle buses to prevent Uptown from even considering a streetcar extension.
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Online jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #784 on: September 20, 2017, 01:01:54 PM »

Yeah... especially in the absence of a broader "master plan" for that area, it's hard to know how this facility will interface with the surrounding blocks. I hope this design was done with some kind of proper vision for how buildings will surround it.

Online jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #785 on: September 20, 2017, 04:23:48 PM »
The city is putting out an RFP for "Transportation Service Provider:"
This new opportunity showcases the City’s commitment to using data and technology to improve various systems. The goal of this RFP is to develop a platform that will interface with multiple stakeholders to generate data around multimodal transportation and parking availability. The platform would consolidate transportation and parking information, allowing users to plan trips around multimodal transportation and locating, reserving, and paying for parking and transportation in advance of a visit to or around the city.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/community-development/news/it-s-a-block-party-city-unveils-new-cluster-of-rfps/#.WcLXc4dQ0fA.twitter

Online thebillshark

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #787 on: November 08, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »
From the Enquirer's article on Cranley's top priorities for his second term:

Public transportation: Cranley is pushing a half-cent-per-dollar sales tax for all of Hamilton County. He would like to see the plan put to voters next year, but there will be negotiations with the Hamilton County Commission and the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority (SORTA).

Cranley's plan also calls for a 0.2 percent cut to the city earnings tax, which contributes $50 million to the Metro bus system each year.

So, it sounds like Cranley is trying to pull a fast one here. The city currently gives 0.3 percent of its earnings tax to Metro. Cranley says he wants to cut the earnings tax by 0.2 percent. Does that mean that the remaining 0.1 percent would still go to Metro? I doubt it. I think Cranley wants shift Metro's funding from the city to the county, cut the city earnings tax by only 0.2 instead of 0.3, and keep the remaining 0.1 for the city to spend on whatever he prioritizes. That way he can claim that he's hiring more cops or paving more roads and giving everyone a tax cut. But what the people won't realize is that their city earnings tax actually increased by 0.1 percent.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:42:35 PM by taestell »

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #788 on: November 09, 2017, 07:51:06 AM »
I would support keeping at least a portion of the .3% to pay for capital improvements within city limits for transit and/or reduced fares for residents in the city. Half of our contribution is equal to the total revenue collected at the fare box by SORTA. Free public transit for city residents would be nice.

IF we pass a county wide tax to pay for SORTA, we'll never get another increase again at the ballot box. I would love to see some of that .3% stay on and we use it to pay for transit only lanes, signal priority, bike lanes, rail, etc.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #789 on: November 09, 2017, 08:05:49 AM »
From the Enquirer's article on Cranley's top priorities for his second term:

Public transportation: Cranley is pushing a half-cent-per-dollar sales tax for all of Hamilton County. He would like to see the plan put to voters next year, but there will be negotiations with the Hamilton County Commission and the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority (SORTA).

Cranley's plan also calls for a 0.2 percent cut to the city earnings tax, which contributes $50 million to the Metro bus system each year.

So, it sounds like Cranley is trying to pull a fast one here. The city currently gives 0.3 percent of its earnings tax to Metro. Cranley says he wants to cut the earnings tax by 0.2 percent. Does that mean that the remaining 0.1 percent would still go to Metro? I doubt it. I think Cranley wants shift Metro's funding from the city to the county, cut the city earnings tax by only 0.2 instead of 0.3, and keep the remaining 0.1 for the city to spend on whatever he prioritizes. That way he can claim that he's hiring more cops or paving more roads and giving everyone a tax cut. But what the people won't realize is that their city earnings tax actually increased by 0.1 percent.

Why are all of his goals for his second term something that is up to the Hamilton County Commissioners? Why didn't he run for Hamilton County Commission?

Offline bendixondavis

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #790 on: November 09, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »
Lol

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #791 on: November 09, 2017, 05:15:23 PM »
The tax shift accomplishes nothing for the bus rider and might even reduce service in the city if the makeup of the SORTA board changes and decides to allocate subsidies more evenly throughout the county. 

To add a 1/2 cent tax without changing the current city earnings tax would be...Metro Moves.  Cut out the rail portion of Metro Moves and we could run a ton of buses. 

If the bus system is shifted to a county sales tax, there could be a future (although unlikely) city earnings tax increase BACK to 2.1% that could pay for rail in the city.  So the opposite of the funding scheme for Metro Moves, and rail only in the city limits. 

Remember, the earnings taxes in Columbus, Cleveland, and even immediately across the river in all of the Kentucky cities is 2.5%. 

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #792 on: November 09, 2017, 05:16:20 PM »
At this point it's going to take UC and the hospitals to demand that the streetcar be extended to their area for it to happen. 

Offline Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #793 on: November 15, 2017, 09:25:58 AM »
Surprised to see no one here has mentioned the Better Bus Coalition's recently-released Better Bus Plan.

I think their cost estimation is a tad (/s) off, given that the plan calls for boring tunnels through Mt. Auburn. It's nice to see some dialogue started on this topic, as SORTA appears poised for some big changes. Perhaps county voters would be more inclined to support a more robust funding structure with a clear vision of where SORTA wants to go with the money.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:15:53 PM by Robuu »

Online Cygnus

• Bringer of Balance
  • Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • about.me
« Reply #794 on: November 15, 2017, 10:54:49 AM »
A citizen group's work and plan could get a revamp of the ailing Metro system off the ground
Better Bus Coalition hopes to influence SORTA

CINCINNATI -- Fresh off his re-election, Mayor John Cranley has pledged to revamp the region's ailing bus system during his second term. How and when he plans to do so remains unclear, but a group of transit advocates are hoping their recently released plan will accelerate the timeline.

"We're gonna force this conversation," said Cam Hardy, president of the Better Bus Coalition. "We do wish the mayor would embrace us a little bit more than he has, but hopefully he comes around and sees that we mean business and work together."

Using detailed route maps and census data, the Hamilton County Better Bus Plan outlines the group's wishlist for Metro service in the region, including more neighborhood transit hubs, additional crosstown routes and several bus-rapid-transit lines.

Cont
"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #795 on: December 18, 2017, 11:42:48 AM »
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/opinion/contributors/2017/12/18/time-now-lets-reinvent-cincinnatis-metro-system/953297001/

It's hilarious how there continues to be no mention of what will happen to the city earnings tax if a county sales tax passes. 

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #796 on: December 18, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »
^ I think they will ultimately end up pushing the 0.5% sales tax, essentially flipping the funding from the city to the county. The city will be the real winner as they will keep some or all of that 0.3% earnings tax.

I don't know why SORTA is proposing to abandon the earnings tax in the first place. I'd have no problem voting for a 0.5% sales tax in addition to the maintaining the current earnings tax, which would nearly double their budget. If SORTA isn't going to gain much of anything but the city gets a big increase in tax dollars, I'm voting against it. I'll vote to raise taxes specifically for transit, but not to raise taxes to give the city tens of millions to spend as the mayor sees fit.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #797 on: December 18, 2017, 12:33:25 PM »
My ideal scenario is a ~.75% increase that will allow Metro to expand operations and invest in the future, coupled with a decrease in the city earnings tax, but not a complete elimination. I would like to see the reduced earnings tax go into capital improvements in city limits (BRT lanes, signal preemption, bus stations, etc). Or possibly continue to go into SORTA as it does now, and continue with a reduced fare for city residents.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #798 on: December 18, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »
^ I think they will ultimately end up pushing the 0.5% sales tax, essentially flipping the funding from the city to the county. The city will be the real winner as they will keep some or all of that 0.3% earnings tax.

I don't know why SORTA is proposing to abandon the earnings tax in the first place. I'd have no problem voting for a 0.5% sales tax in addition to the maintaining the current earnings tax, which would nearly double their budget. If SORTA isn't going to gain much of anything but the city gets a big increase in tax dollars, I'm voting against it. I'll vote to raise taxes specifically for transit, but not to raise taxes to give the city tens of millions to spend as the mayor sees fit.

Metro's current board does not want to eliminate the city earnings tax. They want to keep it and add a countywide sales tax. However three members of the SORTA board are resigning under mysterious circumstances, i.e., Cranley told them to resign so they can be replaced by new members that support repealing the earnings tax.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #799 on: December 18, 2017, 06:25:12 PM »
Keeping the current earnings tax and adding a .25% county sales tax would fund a significant expansion in bus service and enable them to keep fares where they are at least for a few years.  I'm a little upset that Cranley is so hell-bent on this tax shift idea because I'm not sure what the point is and fear the worst. 

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #800 on: December 19, 2017, 03:26:24 PM »
SORTA board members depart

Three members of the board that runs the Metro bus system in Cincinnati and Hamilton County have submitted their resignations, including Jason Dunn, who is the chairman of the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority.

The resignations are effective as of the agency’s next board meeting in January. Joining Dunn in resigning are Ken Reed, the vice chair, and longtime board member Karl Schultz.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/19/sorta-board-members-depart.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #801 on: December 21, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »
Agency agrees to city demand that it increase wages

The Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority has agreed to increase the pay of all of its workers as well as employees of its contractors to $15 an hour, avoiding a showdown between the agency and the city of Cincinnati.

SORTA will spend about $300,000 starting Jan. 1 to comply with the city’s living wage mandate, which requires all city employees and contract employees to make $15 per hour.

“This letter is not an acknowledgment that the living wage legislation applies to us or to our contractors,” wrote SORTA CEO Dwight Ferrell in a letter to the City Council. “This letter serves only to explain our plan to meet the City Council policy aim … We hope that by agreeing to move forward with these wage increases voluntarily, we can avoid any further legislation and litigation concerning this matter.”

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/21/agency-agrees-to-city-demand-that-it-increase.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online JYP

• Global Moderator
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #802 on: December 22, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »
Agency agrees to city demand that it increase wages

The Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority has agreed to increase the pay of all of its workers as well as employees of its contractors to $15 an hour, avoiding a showdown between the agency and the city of Cincinnati.

SORTA will spend about $300,000 starting Jan. 1 to comply with the city’s living wage mandate, which requires all city employees and contract employees to make $15 per hour.

“This letter is not an acknowledgment that the living wage legislation applies to us or to our contractors,” wrote SORTA CEO Dwight Ferrell in a letter to the City Council. “This letter serves only to explain our plan to meet the City Council policy aim … We hope that by agreeing to move forward with these wage increases voluntarily, we can avoid any further legislation and litigation concerning this matter.”

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/21/agency-agrees-to-city-demand-that-it-increase.html

Hopefully this change will help relieve the bus driver shortage!
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #803 on: January 17, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »
Michelman exec tapped to chair SORTA board

The board of the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority has new leadership after Michelman executive Kreg Keesee was selected to chair the board and labor leader Maurice Brown was selected as vice chair.

They replace the outgoing chair, Cincinnati USA Convention and Visitors Bureau executive Jason Dunn, and vice chair, Ken Reed, a manager with the Ohio Transit Risk Pool and a former general manager of the Butler County Regional Transit Authority. Both resigned late last year.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/01/17/michelman-exec-tapped-to-chair-sorta-board.html

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #804 on: February 01, 2018, 05:10:48 PM »
Lawsuit accuses Metro driver of eating chili during fatal crash

A lawsuit filed last week accuses the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority (SORTA) of negligence and wrongful death in a 2016 striking of two pedestrians, which killed one of them.

Pleasant Ridge resident Emily Frank filed the lawsuit in the Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas on Jan. 24 against SORTA and Tyrone Patrick, the driver of the Metro bus that struck her and killed her father, Stephen Frank. Patrick pleaded guilty to vehicular homicide in August 2016 and was sentenced to three years probation.

A spokeswoman for SORTA said the group could not comment on pending litigation.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/02/01/lawsuit-accuses-metro-driver-of-eating-chili.html

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #805 on: February 01, 2018, 05:24:09 PM »
That's the most Cincinnati headline I've ever seen.

Online jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #806 on: February 02, 2018, 09:11:52 AM »
That's the most Cincinnati headline I've ever seen.
Need to know what kind of chili it was. I suspect the verdict in court will hinge on this detail.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #807 on: February 13, 2018, 02:23:56 PM »
The plot thickens.  Looks like the county is pushing back against Cranley's tax shift plan. Plus, SORTA board magically found $7.9 million.  So if it was being intentionally hidden then Cranley was trying to force the tax hike.   

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #809 on: February 14, 2018, 12:52:45 PM »
Rayshon is toxic on social media. I don't think he would be a good fit. I can't understand why they don't just give Cam Hardy a seat on the board.