PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Suburban Crime & Safety Discussion  (Read 3812 times)

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Suburban Crime & Safety Discussion
« Reply #1290 on: January 04, 2017, 10:16:07 AM »
Beachwood is absolutely loaded, so maybe they could provide additional police protection?  That seems more appropriate and more effective.

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1291 on: January 04, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
That should have been happening regardless, along with more cameras in the parking lots.  I actually think this is the best move in this case.     

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1292 on: January 04, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »
Yeah if it is selectively enforced they will (and my lovely neighbors the Chandra's) would be all over it         

The man has triplets to feed!  Are you suggesting he would be wrong for being "all over" selective enforcement of this policy?  Do you think a place of public accommodation should legally be allowed to selectively enforce such a policy?

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1293 on: January 04, 2017, 10:21:38 AM »
Yeah if it is selectively enforced they will (and my lovely neighbors the Chandra's) would be all over it         

The man has triplets to feed!  Are you suggesting he would be wrong for being "all over" selective enforcement of this policy?  Do you think a place of public accommodation should legally be allowed to selectively enforce such a policy?

No, I'm saying if they did selectively enforce they would never get away with it. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:23:10 AM by willyboy »

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1294 on: January 04, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »
^And that's a good thing, right?

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1295 on: January 06, 2017, 04:46:26 AM »
No need to shall-we-say "beat around the bush."  By selectively, you mean will it be enforced against black youths but not white youths.  I doubt it, but if it is, then the Mall deserves to get sued and good for the lawyers who are fighting to uphold those fundamental rights (even though there is not a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for those types of cases given the relative lack of economic damages).  While this scenario riles up shall-we-say "certain types of internet forums", it is just not reflective of the real world.  Remember all those civil rights lawyers who flocked like crows to a stumbling deer when the same restrictions on Coventry and Lee Rd were enforced?  Yeah... neither do I.  That's not to say that some random lawyer is not going to file a potentially meritless suit.  Just don't expect a flock of civil rights lawyers to pile on.

As for your pre-paid card idea, would the kids then be given an armband to wear around the mall to let it be known they have money to spend?  Would each individual kid have to have a gift card or would one out of a group of 3 suffice?  Would there be a minimum buy in?.... if the gift card was for $5, would that buy the kids a whole day of roaming around the mall?  Would they be required to actually use the gift card or could they buy one and use it to enter the mall year round?  What if there is a leftover balance on the card from the last visit?

Gender as well.   You can't just ignore the Indian girls and harrass the black boys.   Which of course would, in the eyes of many, mitigate the problem without costing money.  But it is very illegal.

IIRC Pinecrest is outside.  The loitering issue largely goes away without an enclosed common area.  That's why Southgate has partially survived and Randall Mall has not.

At Beachwood probably a $25 minimum lol
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 04:46:52 AM by E Rocc »

Offline Clevelander17

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1296 on: January 06, 2017, 08:22:47 PM »
IIRC Pinecrest is outside.  The loitering issue largely goes away without an enclosed common area.  That's why Southgate has partially survived and Randall Mall has not.

I was going to mention this earlier. I wonder if these outdoor "malls" are less-susceptible to this type of behavior because of the nature of the design? Seems particularly likely in the winter.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1297 on: January 07, 2017, 06:51:58 AM »
Perhaps. But that is not the reason for the recent success of outdoor malls. It's the anchors which make or break shopping centers. Big box stores that attach to outdoor malls are doing much better than department stores which attach to indoor malls. This is the trend virtually everywhere.

Offline eyehrtfood

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #1298 on: January 07, 2017, 11:53:40 AM »
At Beachwood Place. No curfew in effect at 2pm but mall crowd is as pleasant as I've seen it for years - though I am guessing some shoppers scared by recent events also staying away a bit for now, too, as crowd is on the lighter busy side.

Only 3 hours until the non-profiling begins...

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1299 on: January 08, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »
Perhaps. But that is not the reason for the recent success of outdoor malls. It's the anchors which make or break shopping centers. Big box stores that attach to outdoor malls are doing much better than department stores which attach to indoor malls. This is the trend virtually everywhere.

It could be that it is easier to check out other stores and comparison shop in the indoor mall.

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1300 on: February 26, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »
Got a "problem" property in the neighborhood, on E. 156th just north of Lakeshore.   Vacant house.   I'm not sure if anyone's broken in, but it has a big porch that has become a "hangout" of sorts in nice weather, being right across from Walgreen's as it is.  Drinking in the front yard, allegedly the back is being used as a potty.

Many people have (supposedly) contacted Polensek, with little luck if any.  Any other ideas?

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #1301 on: February 26, 2017, 12:35:51 PM »
Do you know who owns the house?  First step would be to try to work with the owner.  If you can't find them, then you may want to get together with your neighbors to watch the property, call the police for trespassing, etc.

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1302 on: February 26, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
Got a "problem" property in the neighborhood, on E. 156th just north of Lakeshore.   Vacant house.   I'm not sure if anyone's broken in, but it has a big porch that has become a "hangout" of sorts in nice weather, being right across from Walgreen's as it is.  Drinking in the front yard, allegedly the back is being used as a potty.

Many people have (supposedly) contacted Polensek, with little luck if any.  Any other ideas?

Don't let polensek off that hook that easily. Get a few people and show up to his office. These guys need to earn their money. We did this with Matt zone in Detroit shore way. I emailed him weekly about a heroine house for almost three months, people were being carted out of it in body bags. Eventually got the house boarded up and the owner in jail. Obviously Building a case takes a bit, but we put a full court pressure on him and the CDO, is there a CDO there? 

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1303 on: February 26, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »
Oops should have been posted in Cleveland City....old habits.   :)   Can it  be moved?

It's going to be more of an issue as summer approaches I suspect.  Last summer a few tall boy connoisseurs were sitting on the wall across from my brother's place, when I was staying there until my new place was ready.   I'm told I have cop mannerisms, and they quit not long after I came around.

This is North Collinwood I am not sure if there is a CDO.  There was a resident's association but it's dormant.

Update:  apparently the house is owned by a woman who lives in California who has her cousin "keep an eye on it".   He's allegedly one of the ringleaders of the bunch that hangs out there.  Not sure about the legalities then.

Polensek's office told people to call 911 when they are out there.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:51:22 AM by E Rocc »

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1304 on: March 24, 2017, 06:12:59 AM »
So of course, something that could just as easily happen at an outdoor shopping center happens....

http://www.cleveland.com/beachwood/index.ssf/2017/03/one_injured_in_beachwood_place.html

On the other hand, kind of funny to see that an old drinking buddy of mine is now the Beachwood police chief.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:18:48 AM by E Rocc »

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1305 on: June 12, 2017, 08:11:43 AM »
Woman, 2 daughters killed in North Royalton

ORTH ROYALTON - Police are currently conducting a homicide investigation after three people were found dead in their Ridge Road residence Sunday evening.

According to police, the victims are Suzanne Taylor, 45, and her daughters, Kylie Pifer, 18, and Taylor Pifer, 21.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/cuyahoga-county/north-royalton-police-investigate-possible-triple-homicide/447886590

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1306 on: June 12, 2017, 08:21:59 AM »
Woman, 2 daughters killed in North Royalton

ORTH ROYALTON - Police are currently conducting a homicide investigation after three people were found dead in their Ridge Road residence Sunday evening.

According to police, the victims are Suzanne Taylor, 45, and her daughters, Kylie Pifer, 18, and Taylor Pifer, 21.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/cuyahoga-county/north-royalton-police-investigate-possible-triple-homicide/447886590

90% of the time, things like this are related to a boyfriend/ex of one of the daughters, I suspect that's where the cops are looking.

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1307 on: June 12, 2017, 08:39:45 AM »
Scary. If our suspicions are correct, wayyyy too much of this going on. Angry, possessive men harming women is unacceptable

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1308 on: June 26, 2017, 05:56:04 AM »
Meanwhile in Maple Heights, the "All Star Ultra Sports Bar" has a big sign in the window saying it's closed and any activity at the site should be reported to the police.   There's been a couple gunshot incidents there, as well as a couple when it was called the "Maple Leaf".

As "Carol's Maple Leaf" it was a city institution of sorts for decades.

That word "Ultra" again.....
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:42:34 AM by E Rocc »

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1309 on: July 12, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
Two armed men rob Lakewood man, police say

LAKEWOOD, Ohio -- A man was robbed of his phone and wallet by two armed men early Wednesday morning, police say.

The 53-year-old man was not hurt in the robbery that happened just before 1:30 a.m. on Lewis Drive near Madison Avenue, Lakewood police Capt. Ed Hassing said.  The man was walking home when two men approached and pointed guns at him, police say.  The robbers went through his pockets and took his wallet and phone, Hassing said. The man did not resist.  They ran northbound and got into an unknown vehicle that drove northbound on Lewis Drive, the call log says.

http://www.cleveland.com/lakewood/index.ssf/2017/07/lakewood_man_robbed_by_two_arm.html#incart_river_home

Man, woman robbed at gunpoint in Rocky River Reservation

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Four armed men robbed a 19-year-old Lakewood man and a 19-year-old woman from Portland, Oregon in Rocky River Reservation, according to a report.

No injuries were reported in the incident that happened about 10:30 p.m. Monday near the Stinchcomb Memorial, according to the report from the Cleveland Metroparks Ranger Department.

http://www.cleveland.com/rocky-river/index.ssf/2017/07/man_woman_robbed_at_gunpoint_i.html#incart_river_home

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1310 on: July 12, 2017, 02:52:51 PM »
Meanwhile in Maple Heights, the "All Star Ultra Sports Bar" has a big sign in the window saying it's closed and any activity at the site should be reported to the police.   There's been a couple gunshot incidents there, as well as a couple when it was called the "Maple Leaf".

At least it wasn't "Starz" or "Sportz".  Thats usually another indication ....   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:53:08 PM by willyboy »

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1311 on: July 13, 2017, 05:47:49 AM »

At least it wasn't "Starz" or "Sportz".  Thats usually another indication ....   

Actually, the official spelling was "All-Stars".  Maybe S is the new Z.  :)

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1312 on: September 29, 2017, 08:29:46 AM »
2 officers, another person shot in Willoughby Hills

WILLOUGHBY HILLS, OH (WOIO) -

Two police officers and another person were injured following an officer-involved shooting in Willoughby Hills. All three are in stable condition, according to authorities.

Chief Christopher Collins said around 2 p.m. Thursday, their officers were called by management to Classic BMW for a customer problem. Collins says management told police the customer was irate and may have been under the influence.

"The dealership had not had any other contact with this customer before. They contacted us because he was acting, what they felt was, under the influence and that's when they responded here," Collins said.

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/36477258/possible-officer-involved-shooting-in-willoughby-hills-classic-bmw?utm_content=bufferc88ff&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1313 on: December 06, 2017, 07:20:07 PM »
Well, we had a drive-by shooting last night at about 10 pm (I was putting my son to bed) in Lakewood in the alley behind my Clifton Blvd condo building. It's a residential alley called Clifton Prado. The suspect rapidly fired 16 shots at a house from a semi-automatic weapon. The suspect and the Clifton Prado resident got into a fight earlier in the day. This was a continuation of that fight. Lakewood police said they know who the suspect is. Fortunately, no one was hurt.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.